Rants and Raves...

Well Stu, and any others,

If I haven’t sold my place, or had to turn it over to the Ex before then, I’m only about 5 miles from C of C on James Island. I know some other guys that wouldn’t mind hosting a few like minded senior golfers. I’ll check with them to make sure, but it could be a fun thing,

Played and talked to a contractor buddy who lives in Edisto. His son heads up the company now and he said the scramble is on for big money people looking for places to stay during that week. Some are even purchasing houses and condominiums. Am sure they will turn them into vacation rentals after the event. Stu and Augie know what I’m talking about with respect to that down this way.

It looks like the package deal for the week is good, so it shouldn’t be too much out of the pocket. Not like when the men’s PGA is out at Kiawah. Being so local and knowing the layout I am thinking parking and traffic to and from is going to be a bear.

Stu, we played Jacks Pawleys Plantation. I stunk it up. But it was in good shape and the weather was great.

Good course---- You played that funky little par 3 which the locals say "The shortest Par 5 Nicklaus ever designed" I have seen that hole play at 100 yards and as low as 45 yards------ Yep if I go more than likely I will drive back and forth or stay at least in GeorgeTown. Traffic will be a nightmare. I went to the Ryder cup event 1 round at "The War By the Shore" I had my own truck then so I bobtailed close and rode the shuttle. One year one of the assistants and I went to Harbour Town. That year was when it rained and the shuttle service was a Charlie Foxtrot. I would not go back to the event at Harbour Town again even if the Good Lord raised Ben Hogan and Bobby Jones from the dead and had them playing there! Now as far as playing there I have played there 2 times and loved it . That whole area is not conducive to traffic and crowd wise for a big event just like this area. I played ok at River Club yesterday did not have any greens to putt on. Shot 41/ 37. Seems like everywhere those guys have booked us on the weekends lately the greens suck but it was not crowded. I know a lot of guys that are deep in the Founders Group Organization and one told me that now due to social media etc the word gets out among the snowbirds on course conditions. He told me those courses get quick cancellations. My home course Indian Wells I played 9 Friday afternoon and the greens were superb and of course it was booked solid,

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Yeppers, that’s the par 5, eh, par 3!!! I think we were playing it around 70 something yards, but, I couldn’t be certain what it was really playing at. I hit a nice little 3/4 53, one of the Wilsons you gave me and thought I’d started it on a perfect line. Pin was tucked left. Wind took it too far left. Thought I was in the marsh but it held up semi-plugged right on the edge before it dropped off. Would have been better it went in and took penalty and hit the drop area. Ended up bogey the hole. Lol... I mean I got a 6, but as you said the shortest par 5 in history. Lol.

They must be part of that Founders group you talked about. The pro was confused over the flag colors they were using for pin placement and said they have like 20 something courses and some of them use different color flags.

Just started raining here so today is a washout.

Your stories of Pawley's Plantation bring back memories of a little par 3 course that my BIL took me to many years ago. Probably the first time I ever picked up a club. He had me using his wife's clubs. I remember the first hole was about 75 yards hitting to a small green between two large trees that fell away to the back. My first ever swing landed the ball on the green by some miracle, because I had no idea what I was doing, but that was enough to plant the seed.

The rest of the round was spent chasing balls all over God's green earth; hooking, slicing and topping my way a Sunday afternoon of bliss. The only other shot I remember was my BIL cracking a dead straight 5 iron near 200 yards on a long uphill hole. I think my eyeballs must have come clear out of my head in amazement seeing someone hit an iron that far!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...

Played the Muni on James Island yesterday. The other course on the island is the Country Club of Charleston, where the US Women’s Open will be held in a few months.

Found out yesterday that they are going to close the Muni during the Open and use the 9th and 18th fairways as parking lots, then shuttle people back and forth.

Two rants:

1. Fgkkdcbk are they thinking-the city- $$$ for sure, but, the place gets beat up enough from mowers and carts if it’s the least bit damp.

2. That pretty much tells me traffic is going to be a nightmare for anyone living across the bridge. If I want to go anywhere in the city I’ll have to head towards Kiawah then loop around. I expect the traffic from Kiawah and Seabrook to be stiff as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Played the Muni on James Island yesterday. The other course on the island is the Country Club of Charleston, where the US Women's Open will be held in a few months.

Found out yesterday that they are going to close the Muni during the Open and use the 9th and 18th fairways as parking lots, then shuttle people back and forth.

Two rants:

1. Fgkkdcbk are they thinking-the city- $$$ for sure, but, the place gets beat up enough from mowers and carts if it's the least bit damp.

2. That pretty much tells me traffic is going to be a nightmare for anyone living across the bridge. If I want to go anywhere in the city I'll have to head towards Kiawah then loop around. I expect the traffic from Kiawah and Seabrook to be stiff as well.

As Big Stu says F the USGA

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished looking through the photos of the Players Championship. Observation: tour players in shorts just looks horrible. Tiger's out there in freakin cargo shorts! I guess I will just add that to my list of reasons why the Player's Championship will N E V E R be the 5th major. It's on my list right behind 2016 defending champion Jason Day showing up to present 2017 champ, Si Woo Kim the winners trophy....while wearing a damned t-shirt. Rant over. Now get off my lawn!!!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Just finished looking through the photos of the Players Championship. Observation: tour players in shorts just looks horrible. Tiger's out there in freakin cargo shorts! I guess I will just add that to my list of reasons why the Player's Championship will N E V E R be the 5th major. It's on my list right behind 2016 defending champion Jason Day showing up to present 2017 champ, Si Woo Kim the winners trophy....while wearing a damned t-shirt. Rant over. Now get off my lawn!!!

Its practice rounds man.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Observation: tour players in shorts just looks horrible.

+++++

Can't agree more. It is sloppy in the very least.

How does this work when they go to private clubs that have a dress code disallowing shorts? I get that the pros kind of make their own rules but it would be great for a club to not budge if they have a membership rule such as no hats, jackets in the dining room or some such rule.

Yeppers, that's the par 5, eh, par 3!!! I think we were playing it around 70 something yards, but, I couldn't be certain what it was really playing at. I hit a nice little 3/4 53, one of the Wilsons you gave me and thought I'd started it on a perfect line. Pin was tucked left. Wind took it too far left. Thought I was in the marsh but it held up semi-plugged right on the edge before it dropped off. Would have been better it went in and took penalty and hit the drop area. Ended up bogey the hole. Lol... I mean I got a 6, but as you said the shortest par 5 in history. Lol.

They must be part of that Founders group you talked about. The pro was confused over the flag colors they were using for pin placement and said they have like 20 something courses and some of them use different color flags.

Just started raining here so today is a washout.

Yep it is part of the Founders Group

Played the Muni on James Island yesterday. The other course on the island is the Country Club of Charleston, where the US Women's Open will be held in a few months.

Two rants:

1. Fgkkdcbk are they thinking-the city- $$$ for sure, but, the place gets beat up enough from mowers and carts if it's the least bit damp.

2. That pretty much tells me traffic is going to be a nightmare for anyone living across the bridge. If I want to go anywhere in the city I'll have to head towards Kiawah then loop around. I expect the traffic from Kiawah and Seabrook to be stiff as well.

As Big Stu says F the USGA

You got it buddy!! +1

Its practice rounds man.

Its highly paid professional sportsmen in their workplace, projecting an image to the public MAN.

• Like 1

Its practice rounds man.

Its highly paid professional sportsmen in their workplace, projecting an image to the public MAN.

Quite agree, my woolen DAKs strides (with pleats) and Pringle cashmeres will never go out of style. And they go great with the Saxone brogues (less the kilties).

I've posted plenty of rants in the past. So out of fairness, I should post a Rave. I'm going to give a shout out to my golf partners today. We played in a 3 person scramble...finished in the money for some shop credit and more importantly managed to walk off with 1 of only 2 skins that were out, for a cool $645 big ones. Great day on the golf course!

• 3 weeks later...

Well...it looks like there hasn't been a whole lot of activity on this thread since the revamp - so, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Admittedly, I haven't been on here much, but it has more to do with lack of time - altho, it has been convenient to blame the redeaux of the site.

And, today is the first day I've been on using my computer. Seems much more intuitive than the phone, altho, I really don't have any dog in a fight when it comes to upgrading. So, let me say: "thanks, to those behind the scenes, trying to make the new site easier for us and you as well!"

Well knock me down with a feather. What were they thinking at Augusta bringing forward tee times and off two tees to boot.

Now I am in Aust. and each year hundreds if not a thousand or more clubs around the country have a masters day where a large screen is erected and from 0630 Monday breakfast is provided to watch the closing stages then all go out for a shotgun start , usually around 9. Everyone books and pays in advance.

WHAT !!! It was all over by 4am . I was robbed

Whose a good litigation lawyer.

I'm going to post about two raves ....

1. Podiatrists and Orthotic Insoles. For years I have suffered from low back pain, which I always thought was connected to breaking my coccyx when I was 18, and the violent compression of the lower spine that accompanied the break. In the last 18 months, that low back pain had become chronic, and expanded to include pain in both hip joints. I hardly played any golf for a year as it wasn't fun any more. Scores were rocketing, couldn't play two days in a row ... yadda yadda yadda. Can't remember what prompted it, but I booked an appointment to see a podiatrist last November, who discovered that my left shin was 15 degrees off vertical, and my right was 9 degrees, so I am basically crooked from the ground up, and "standing straight" my right shoulder was 1 inch higher than my left. So he made me up some orthotic insoles to correct my alignment, and literally within 24 hours all pain was gone. Remarkable transformation ! Now back playing multiple days in a row, and even carrying a bag again, after a year stumbling about sporadically with a trolley. I'd highly recommend everyone to go see a podiatrist and get checked out. Your knees, hips and back might well thank you for it :smile:

2. The Jack White Hickory Golf Shop in Gullane. If you are ever in East Lothian you should go and check this place out. Absolutely fabulous little shop. Mainly hickory era memorabilia, but he has a few racks of classic persimmons as well. It's worth going just to speak to the owner for an hour or two, and share a whisky or three (he's quite partial !). Just got back from 5 days golf for his "Jack's Open" hickory event. A warm up round on Gullane 3, then 54 holes of stroke play on Kilspindie, Archerfield Links, and Winterfield. Followed by 27 holes of Foursomes on the Sunday at Muirfield, concluding just in time to watch Tiger's last few holes to win the Masters. Golf doesn't get much better than that !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I got a set of orthotics following an assessment last summer. Like you I was exploring all options to deal with chronic low back pain. I suffered an injury about a year and a half ago that coupled with degenerating discs and roto-scoliosis had me in the hurt locker big time.

I can't lay claim to as remarkable a turnaround as you have experienced, but I do believe the orthotics are helping as i'm much straighter than I used to be, both from the frontal view as well as the side view. I've been gradually making progress, but addressing the muscular imbalance is going to take further work and time. I'm hopeful that i will be able to play on a regular basis this season as last year was a complete washout.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...

> @elwhippy said:

> How to lose trade. Lesson one will be hosted by Cleveland UK. Order wedge. Wait seven weeks. Endure lame excuses from Cleveland. Club arrives. Wrong sole design to model ordered. Pathetic.

Sounds like SOP for around here too. People do not care one bit about customer service these days and they do not listen. For them oh ho hum it's just a job they could give 2 rips less. Had to go off on the Home Depot manager the other day. Seems my wife got some more bags of mulch and they were supposed to load it and they did not. I was not with her. She called me and I called the manager and read him the riot act. Someone finally slauntered their butt over there and helped her. That Monday I went to the bank and paid off my Home Depot card cut it up and and sent it to Atlanta telling them what to do with it. Got a call about a week later from them wanting to know what went on. They offered me a new card and a $100 gift certificate. I started to tell them what to do on that but then I thought WTH?? I will take their money and spend it and tear up that card and do no more business with them. No such thing as customer service anymore. Wonder why companies like Sears and K Mart went under? We have had several chain restaurants in this area recently that have closed mostly for sorry help and lack of customer service. I laugh every time it happens serves them right

• Like 1

Rant of the day. Green fees. Friends and I wanted to play some more championship venues across Scotland and North of England. I was tasked with organising the courses from a list we compiled. A slight problem....ridiculous green fees. My friends baulked at the idea of £200 for a round. Seriously can anyone explain how 18 holes of Golf is over £200? These venues charge looney money and expect you to play off forward tees. Sorry but for that money I want to play the full course. Birkdale, Hoylake and Hillside on three week days would be almost the same as our yearly subs. So sad the best courses are not interested in the lower hcp player and prefer the high roller hacker who wouldn't know Harry Colt from Harry Enfield. We are off to play tour quality venues in Portugal for less money...flights, accommodation, unlimited play, buggies and breakfast thrown in....

> @elwhippy said:

> Rant of the day. Green fees. Friends and I wanted to play some more championship venues across Scotland and North of England. I was tasked with organising the courses from a list we compiled. A slight problem....ridiculous green fees. My friends baulked at the idea of £200 for a round. Seriously can anyone explain how 18 holes of Golf is over £200? These venues charge looney money and expect you to play off forward tees. Sorry but for that money I want to play the full course. Birkdale, Hoylake and Hillside on three week days would be almost the same as our yearly subs. So sad the best courses are not interested in the lower hcp player and prefer the high roller hacker who wouldn't know Harry Colt from Harry Enfield. We are off to play tour quality venues in Portugal for less money...flights, accommodation, unlimited play, buggies and breakfast thrown in....

Well they know who they are and what people will pay. Compared to the Us where Pebble is $550, Torrey Pines is $200, Pinehearst 400, Chambers 250 and Bethpage 150, and sorry that’s all the US Open venues you can play without connections. It kills me that elite courses cost so much. I think your best bet is to try and play spring/fall shoulder season when the prices drop considerably. That’s the only way I could have afforded my England trip.

Golf in the UK is getting expensive again. It became far more affordable from the late 90s to about 5 years ago but since then the elite courses, and some lesser venues have been hiking prices at way above inflation rates. Add in the demise of the single men's open on a lot of these courses and a tee time is a real luxury. Courses with zero pedigree that held a tour event 20 years ago wanting £100 a round.....not on.

Round your way, how can you beat Southerness, Silloth-on-Solway, and Seascale on your doorstep, championship golf for a quarter of the price you are objecting to?Certainly Silloth does Open Singles Events + they used to do Cumbria Green Jacket events too 'cos I used to play them.....still do the Silloth Singles. Then, St Annes Old links is a bargain, Fleetwood you could have played for £20 last Thursday etc, etc. Sure the big ticket venues are priced out of normal guys reach, have been for 50 years....supply, demand, hype, fashion, tourist business yadda yadda.

But don't tell them about Southerness, Pike!

• Like 1

Get off my lawn rant of the day:

Who at the PGA of America got greased and how much did they get to agree to move the PGA Championship to May? This week is the perfect example of why it's a real bad idea. It's cold, it's wet and the golf course isn't ready. The damn trees just started blooming this week! Here's my list of why the PGA Championship was great that are now screwed up:

1. When it was the last major of the year, it mattered. Every player goes into the year wanting to win one and this was always their last chance... no more.

2. The PGA venue always changed and could be moved around the country to various types of courses... no more. Courses up north just aren't ready yet.

3. Every 2 years, it was the last chance to earn Ryder Cup points and play your way onto the team... no more.

It's just another tour stop now, but who cares what I think anyway? But I'm glad I got that off my chest. :)

> @Bigarch said:

> Get off my lawn rant of the day:

> Who at the PGA of America got greased and how much did they get to agree to move the PGA Championship to May? This week is the perfect example of why it's a real bad idea. It's cold, it's wet and the golf course isn't ready. The **** trees just started blooming this week! Here's my list of why the PGA Championship was great that are now screwed up:

> 1. When it was the last major of the year, it mattered. Every player goes into the year wanting to win one and this was always their last chance... no more.

> 2. The PGA venue always changed and could be moved around the country to various types of courses... no more. Courses up north just aren't ready yet.

> 3. Every 2 years, it was the last chance to earn Ryder Cup points and play your way onto the team... no more.

> It's just another tour stop now, but who cares what I think anyway? But I'm glad I got that off my chest. :)

>

Thank you! I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who thought this was about as dumb of an idea as the anchoring ban/groove rule/need I go on? Wake me up in July when the Open Championship starts.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Bigarch said:

> Get off my lawn rant of the day:

> Who at the PGA of America got greased and how much did they get to agree to move the PGA Championship to May? This week is the perfect example of why it's a real bad idea. It's cold, it's wet and the golf course isn't ready. The **** trees just started blooming this week! Here's my list of why the PGA Championship was great that are now screwed up:

> 1. When it was the last major of the year, it mattered. Every player goes into the year wanting to win one and this was always their last chance... no more.

> 2. The PGA venue always changed and could be moved around the country to various types of courses... no more. Courses up north just aren't ready yet.

> 3. Every 2 years, it was the last chance to earn Ryder Cup points and play your way onto the team... no more.

> It's just another tour stop now, but who cares what I think anyway? But I'm glad I got that off my chest. :)

>

I hear you and agree with you 110% I have gotten to where I could care less what the PGAOA the PGA Tour , the USGA or R&A does anymore. They can all poot or blow a tin whistle as far as I am concerned

• 1 month later...

> @gsea33 said:

> Do a weekend starter job at the course. Hand to god one more person takes 10 practice swings and proceeds to hit a 150yd duck hook I'm going to take a sledge hammer to my on head.

We had a tournament booked at the club the last day I worked. As per usual for a Thursday, it rained, but not a lot. Only 10 showed and of those 10 I think 2 had actually played golf. I had to follow them around discretely to make sure that they didn't do anything stupid with the carts like drive on the green. After they were finished i gathered up the markers for longest drive and closest to the pin. The women's weren't even filled out. Thye were right where I placed them before play. The same guy took both the prizes for the men. As soon as they finished they gathered up the graft and took off to have a party off-site. Gee thanks... The things you do to generate business in a tough year... :confounded:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa