Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Been out half a dozen times, mostly at Brighton Dale Links. Other than the 6 inches of snow we got on Sunday and a bit of rain this week I think it will dry out well enough for what looks like a very mild and dry weekend. Only White course has been open thus far but I believe the Red 9 and one of the White 9's will open soon. Blue Course has been open all along. White course had quite a bit of work done around a number of the greens and took quite a few bunkers out. Might make it slightly easier and move the pace along, not to mention make it easier on the grounds crew keeping the bunkers playable, especially in the spring. Course has been in really nice shape the last couple of years other than the extreme flooding they took on summer of 2017.

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

> @tboh said:

> Planning trip to SV & would love to do loop or trek to include LL EH

> Should fly in to milwaukee madison chicago st paul other?

> Plan to stay onsite at SV but not sure others yet ... lodging on the way doesnt seem to be a problem

> Any recommendations?

If you want to hit those courses on a loop, then I would highly recommend flying into Milwaukee. Plus you’ll appreciate not having to deal with O’Hare and the crowds...Would be easy to time it such that you play one on the way out to SV and one on the way back, and you won’t regret tossing those courses on the docket.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

I would agree with the above. If SV and EH are the center piece of your trip flying in/out of Milwaukee is your best bet. Is LL Lawsonia Links? Sentry World is between the SV and Lawsonia. Next door to EH is Washington County, a very fine muni. Of course you also have the Kohler corridor to explore with the addition of The Bull and Brown Deer.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

> @rtraudt said:

> > @tboh said:

> > Planning trip to SV & would love to do loop or trek to include LL EH

> > Should fly in to milwaukee madison chicago st paul other?

> > Plan to stay onsite at SV but not sure others yet ... lodging on the way doesnt seem to be a problem

> > Any recommendations?

>

> If you want to hit those courses on a loop, then I would highly recommend flying into Milwaukee. Plus you’ll appreciate not having to deal with O’Hare and the crowds...Would be easy to time it such that you play one on the way out to SV and one on the way back, and you won’t regret tossing those courses on the docket.

Yea I have no desire to go into chi ... was thinking Milwaukee bu> @rtraudt said:

> > @tboh said:

> > Planning trip to SV & would love to do loop or trek to include LL EH

> > Should fly in to milwaukee madison chicago st paul other?

> > Plan to stay onsite at SV but not sure others yet ... lodging on the way doesnt seem to be a problem

> > Any recommendations?

>

> If you want to hit those courses on a loop, then I would highly recommend flying into Milwaukee. Plus you’ll appreciate not having to deal with O’Hare and the crowds...Would be easy to time it such that you play one on the way out to SV and one on the way back, and you won’t regret tossing those courses on the docket.

Yea no way im going into Ohare ... looks like its actually cheaper to fly into Madison ... more i look at more I think I should start at SV & end up at EH ... Lawsonia in the middle of a nice 5 day trip

> @Phreddy said:

> I would agree with the above. If SV and EH are the center piece of your trip flying in/out of Milwaukee is your best bet. Is LL Lawsonia Links? Sentry World is between the SV and Lawsonia. Next door to EH is Washington County, a very fine muni. Of course you also have the Kohler corridor to explore with the addition of The Bull and Brown Deer.

>

> Phred

I didn't realize Sentry was that close ... I'll have to throw it in the schedule ... thanks so much

> @tboh said:

> > @Phreddy said:

> > I would agree with the above. If SV and EH are the center piece of your trip flying in/out of Milwaukee is your best bet. Is LL Lawsonia Links? Sentry World is between the SV and Lawsonia. Next door to EH is Washington County, a very fine muni. Of course you also have the Kohler corridor to explore with the addition of The Bull and Brown Deer.

> >

--

Ah if only a month off & unlimited cash ... id be set

im keeping road-trip between Erin Lawsonia Sand ... seems my dilemma now is which end to start at end of May

36 day to take advantage replays ... Golf - Eat - Sleep

If you people have anymore recs please let me know thanks so much

Logistically, if you can save Erin Hills for another time, you could nicely substitute SentryWorld, as others mentioned. SentryWorld is the original Wisconsin "build it, and they will come" golf course (late 70s?), and when first built, there was legitimate talk about hosting a US Open. It was renovated two years ago, and by all accounts it is fantastic. In addition there is a 36-hole complex two miles away from Sand Valley called Lake Arrowhead, which is more than a suitable warmup or cooldown from SV. SV puts Lake Arrowhead in their guide to area businesses. They know it's not competition, but they aren't going to direct their customers to a goat track, either. Back when Golf Digest did legitimate rankings, Lake Arrowhead courses were 4-star tracks (scale of 5 stars).

By subbing out Erin Hills for SentryWorld and/or adding Lake Arrowhead, your trip itinerary tightens up. Less driving cars, more driving golf balls! You can fly into Central Wisconsin Airport north of Stevens Point, or Madison. I would send clubs and golf clothes via ShipSticks as airlines to Madison and Stevens Point will require additional baggage fees and prevent chance of them not making it to your destination.

> @games said:

> Logistically, if you can save Erin Hills for another time, you could nicely substitute SentryWorld, as others mentioned. SentryWorld is the original Wisconsin "build it, and they will come" golf course (late 70s?), and when first built, there was legitimate talk about hosting a US Open. It was renovated two years ago, and by all accounts it is fantastic. In addition there is a 36-hole complex two miles away from Sand Valley called Lake Arrowhead, which is more than a suitable warmup or cooldown from SV. SV puts Lake Arrowhead in their guide to area businesses. They know it's not competition, but they aren't going to direct their customers to a goat track, either. Back when Golf Digest did legitimate rankings, Lake Arrowhead courses were 4-star tracks (scale of 5 stars).

>

> By subbing out Erin Hills for SentryWorld and/or adding Lake Arrowhead, your trip itinerary tightens up. Less driving cars, more driving golf balls! You can fly into Central Wisconsin Airport north of Stevens Point, or Madison. I would send clubs and golf clothes via ShipSticks as airlines to Madison and Stevens Point will require additional baggage fees and prevent chance of them not making it to your destination.

Awesome advice ... thanks

If you fly into Madison instead of Milwaukee, University Ridge (home of the the UW Madison golf team and the American Family Champions Tour event) is another worthy course. In a goofy sort of way U Ridge feels like you took the 36 holes of Lawsonia and made it an 18 hole track. The front 9 at U Ridge is linksy in style and the back 9 is more of a woodland routing.

That said, and again if flying into Madison, I would consider playing Wild Rock in the WIsconsin Dells area on my way up to SV. Wisconsin Dells is the prototypical tourist trap, but the course is really nice. Then SV, Sentryworld, Lawsonia and EH. The drive back to Madison from EH is pretty easy. Not a bad Wisco buffet of golf.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

> @Phreddy said:

> If you fly into Madison instead of Milwaukee, University Ridge (home of the the UW Madison golf team and the American Family Champions Tour event) is another worthy course. In a goofy sort of way U Ridge feels like you took the 36 holes of Lawsonia and made it an 18 hole track. The front 9 at U Ridge is linksy in style and the back 9 is more of a woodland routing.

>

> That said, and again if flying into Madison, I would consider playing Wild Rock in the WIsconsin Dells area on my way up to SV. Wisconsin Dells is the prototypical tourist trap, but the course is really nice. Then SV, Sentryworld, Lawsonia and EH. The drive back to Madison from EH is pretty easy. Not a bad Wisco buffet of golf.

>

> Phred

--

Absolutely ... need a month & megamillions

Thanks so much for the advice ... what makes Wrx so special for sure

> @TBone0576 said:

> Been out half a dozen times, mostly at Brighton Dale Links. Other than the 6 inches of snow we got on Sunday and a bit of rain this week I think it will dry out well enough for what looks like a very mild and dry weekend. Only White course has been open thus far but I believe the Red 9 and one of the White 9's will open soon. Blue Course has been open all along. White course had quite a bit of work done around a number of the greens and took quite a few bunkers out. Might make it slightly easier and move the pace along, not to mention make it easier on the grounds crew keeping the bunkers playable, especially in the spring. Course has been in really nice shape the last couple of years other than the extreme flooding they took on summer of 2017.

Hopefully pace improves at Brighton Dale. Both Blue and White are great layouts, they're super cheap, and I'm a fan of courses that have a different rate for walking than riding. However, things slow to a snail's pace there. I don't think I've ever seen a ranger at BDale either.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Shot a 94 today. 94! The bizarre part is that I actually thought I was hitting ball pretty well, and then I just went brain dead in the middle of the round. Strange witch's brew as irons have always been my strength and today they were bad. Good off the tee. Putted well. I guess the solace is that I have confidence in my irons and that part should come around.

Phred

> @Phreddy said:

> Shot a 94 today. 94! The bizarre part is that I actually thought I was hitting ball pretty well, and then I just went brain dead in the middle of the round. Strange witch's brew as irons have always been my strength and today they were bad. Good off the tee. Putted well. I guess the solace is that I have confidence in my irons and that part should come around.

>

> Phred

Where'd you play today? How were conditions?

> @games said:

> > @Phreddy said:

> > Shot a 94 today. 94! The bizarre part is that I actually thought I was hitting ball pretty well, and then I just went brain dead in the middle of the round. Strange witch's brew as irons have always been my strength and today they were bad. Good off the tee. Putted well. I guess the solace is that I have confidence in my irons and that part should come around.

> >

> > Phred

>

> Where'd you play today? How were conditions?

Wisconsin Club. Back in the mid 80's today and my irons have settled down. Still left some sloppy strokes out there. Our course has dried out nicely. The greens are the real defense and they are not yet at summer speeds.

Getting ready to head up to Wisconsin to check out Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, and Sand Valley in the next week or two. What can I expect up there? Have the trees started to bloom? Grass growing yet or are temps still pretty cold at night?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

> @BG5 said:

> Getting ready to head up to Wisconsin to check out Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, and Sand Valley in the next week or two. What can I expect up there? Have the trees started to bloom? Grass growing yet or are temps still pretty cold at night?

The next week looks a little like an ex-wife: Intermittently stormy and perpetually chilly.

> @ldchristopher said:

> Hopefully pace improves at Brighton Dale. Both Blue and White are great layouts, they're super cheap, and I'm a fan of courses that have a different rate for walking than riding. However, things slow to a snail's pace there. I don't think I've ever seen a ranger at BDale either.

>

I can't really comment too much on the pace out there. We're usually one of the first groups out on weekends so we generally avoid anything more than 4 hours. They probably could use a little more ranger action out there, but we rarely have an issue unless someone cuts in on the back nine which happens sometimes. The back nine of the White course turned out well and they took out bunkers on 11,12,13,14,17, and 18. The biggest issue I had was that they replaced the sand with this really soft style. The two balls I hit into bunkers resulted in severe fried eggs. Maybe after some rain on them they will harden up but it was definitely frustrating. The greens are in awesome shape and roll great for April. They are going to be pretty quick this year when they can cut them a bit.

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

For those that fly to central or eastern Wisconsin, don't sleep on looking up flights to Appleton. To the Sheboygan/Kohler area, Appleton, Green Bay, and Milwaukee are all about an hour drive. It's a quieter airport too, so pretty hassle-free to get in and out of. When I consider flying home, I've noticed that heading there is usually the cheapest of the three these days.

For my summer trip home, I usually go back the week of the Indycar race at Road America and World of Outlaws race at Beaver Dam and tend to hit up a couple of rounds of golf if anyone is up for a round. I usually don't head to the Kohler stuff, but rather I like to play The Bull which I find super underrated and very quiet of player traffic.

> @TBone0576 said:

> > @ldchristopher said:

> > Hopefully pace improves at Brighton Dale. Both Blue and White are great layouts, they're super cheap, and I'm a fan of courses that have a different rate for walking than riding. However, things slow to a snail's pace there. I don't think I've ever seen a ranger at BDale either.

> >

> I can't really comment too much on the pace out there. We're usually one of the first groups out on weekends so we generally avoid anything more than 4 hours. They probably could use a little more ranger action out there, but we rarely have an issue unless someone cuts in on the back nine which happens sometimes. The back nine of the White course turned out well and they took out bunkers on 11,12,13,14,17, and 18. The biggest issue I had was that they replaced the sand with this really soft style. The two balls I hit into bunkers resulted in severe fried eggs. Maybe after some rain on them they will harden up but it was definitely frustrating. The greens are in awesome shape and roll great for April. They are going to be pretty quick this year when they can cut them a bit.

>

I'm guessing the areas where the bunkers used to be will firm up eventually but it might take a full season.

We usually get one of the first three or four times and avoid the inevitable death march. However, every once in a while I'll loop around and play both 18's and the second round is always brutal.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I didn't like Wisconsin weather when I lived there, Phreddy. Now I live in North Dakota and it's even worse. Cut down those trees, smooth out the hills, add a ton of wind, and shorten the golf season by a few more weeks in both spring and fall and you have North Dakota golf season. The creek in your backyard reminds me of where my folks live near Sheboygan.

> @"Big A HG" said:

> I didn't like Wisconsin weather when I lived there, Phreddy. Now I live in North Dakota and it's even worse. Cut down those trees, smooth out the hills, add a ton of wind, and shorten the golf season by a few more weeks in both spring and fall and you have North Dakota golf season. The creek in your backyard reminds me of where my folks live near Sheboygan.

My wife and I used to live within spitting distance of Lake Michigan, now that we are 15 miles inland the temperature this time of year can easily be 10-15 degrees different. That is why I would always play Erin Hills or the Bull in the spring and early summer and save Kohler for July and August when a little cool lake breeze feels good. I hope to be retired in the coming months and I also hope to have an Arizona zip code next winter. I've walked the fields of N. Dakota, Montana and Saskatchewan behind Brittanies in the late fall. When the wind blows you develop a permanent lean.

Phred

I’m up in Eau Claire for a few days and driving back to Chicago Thursday. Anyone have insight on what Sand Valley looks like right now? Thinking of a quick detour if it’s in good shape.

Edit: been looking at Mammoth Dunes and wondering if that’s the one I should play since I can only get in one 18 this trip. I’ll be back through here several times this year, so I’ll have chances to play other tracks including the one at SV I don’t hit this time. So..,SV or MD this Thursday?

> @DeeBee30 said:

> I’m up in Eau Claire for a few days and driving back to Chicago Thursday. Anyone have insight on what Sand Valley looks like right now? Thinking of a quick detour if it’s in good shape.

>

> Edit: been looking at Mammoth Dunes and wondering if that’s the one I should play since I can only get in one 18 this trip. I’ll be back through here several times this year, so I’ll have chances to play other tracks including the one at SV I don’t hit this time. So..,SV or MD this Thursday?

Like Thursday as in today? Isnt the weather pretty crappy right now? If you're still planning on doing it you cant go wrong with either. I personally like mammoth better. Some people say it's too easy and they have some valid points, but you will have a guaranteed fun round with some amazing views. Sand valley is a great course as well with it being a little tougher. Still great views just less room to miss off the tee. I dont mean to say mammoth is just ridiculously easy, because it's not there is still plenty of trouble out there, but you really can pull driver on every hole and not have to worry about an out of play ball. Two great courses, you just have to play both to decide your favorite.

Well, I was able to get in at Mammoth Dunes at 9:35am yesterday and loved every minute of it! I didn't make a tee time because of weather concerns, but it turned out to be fantastic...no rain all day and the temps started out mid-40*s but got up to almost 50*. It actually felt warmer and I actually removed my wind jacket to play in just a pullover. While I don't have first-hand knowledge of SV, I'm soooo glad I chose Mammoth Dunes on this trip. Yes, everyone says it's easier (validated by the other single I played with who's played each several times), but this was only my third 2019 round and my game isn't exactly in mid-season form. I needed the forgiveness of MD's wide fairways and receptive greens. I'll take a crack at SV when my form returns. For now, MD still had its share of defensive countermeasures (miles of hard-to-play-from waste areas, strategic severe bunkering, large multi-tiered greens), but it rewards good shots and the greens roll so pure (although still a touch slow) I think I got a little chubby on a few putts.

There are plenty of risk-reward moments, and you can hit some approaches tight if you catch the right part of the green or use one of several side- and back-boards. On #6, the hole was cut in the middle of the horseshoe green, so an approach in line with the pin gives you a nice birdie chance in the swail between the front mound and the upslope behind the hole. I was able to convert a 3-footer there. And, the driveable par-4 14th creates a nice eagle try with everything sloping towards yesterday's front hole location. Narrowly missed a putt for a 2 and had a tap-in birdie there. Thank you Golf Digest contest! On the flip side, the second deep-faced bunker on #15 swallowed my wayward 3W approach and it took me two shots to escape: one to extricate my plugged lie from the near-vertical bunker face, and a second chip out sideways to get back into play. Nice little triple there.

Their $105 spring rate through mid-may is an absolute steal, and my only regret is that I couldn't make an entire day of it to play SV for the 50% off replay rate. It would also be fun to play the Sandbox as a warmup. I'll definitely head back up this year to experience every inch of the property, and I can't wait to see the next course(s) they build up there in the coming years. Bottom line: there are plenty of $200 courses out there, but Mammoth definitely sits atop my list and is one of only a few that I'd play multiple times, even at the full rack rate.

nrta33w1swgy.jpg

a9l2a6aeylf4.jpg

oll4svn2u8si.jpg

This spring just keeps getting better. I sent pics from MD to a golfing buddy and he was so envious he said I need to head back up there for the double play and take him along next time. He’s so stoked that he called today and booked both MD and SV for the 14th. $157.50 for 36 holes + $187 total for a night in the lodge. Thrilled to be heading up there again so soon!