Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

1121314151618»

Comments

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members  924WRX Points: 288Handicap: 9Posts: 924 Golden Tee

Tennis elbow: physical therapist gave me some exercises to work on for my shoulders, plus I do a theraband exercise. The three shoulder exercises are (1) stand with back and butt against wall and arms in a “field goal is good” pose, and then slowly raise arms up high, and (2) stand against an open doorway with arms against door frame in the same “field goal” pose, and step in the doorway with one foot at a time to stretch arms / shoulders. And (3) is hard to explain. I put one arm behind my back and the other arm’s palm on top of my head, and pull my head down toward the opposite hip.

I do these instead of the arm raises.

Honestly, although my PT prescribed them, I’m not sure how helpful they are. The theraband exercises seem to have been really helpful though. I’ve been working on this tennis elbow for almost 9 months now and it is just getting to where it doesn’t bother me so much anymore.

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • KeenKeen Members  220WRX Points: 84Posts: 220 Fairways

Hmm, I do all of the stretches (maybe not regularly...). I'll incorporate them more often.

Mine's getting better as well, after a stint of NSAID, and some exercises. I've used this to some success, although at the same time as I was on NSAIDs so hard to isolate which, or both, contributed. https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

I've been doing this on and off as well. Can't hurt to be thorough I guess.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7kTNk3qEuLM

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qTjDq3_D-FU

Posted:
    Driver Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
    Spoon Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S
    Hybrid Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
    Irons Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
    GW Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
    SW Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura
  • timmy8151timmy8151 Members  1115WRX Points: 132Handicap: 15.2Posts: 1,115 Platinum Tees

Interested in purchasing this program. Went to the Drive 400 website and looks like it's just a CD. Is there digital version for purchase?

Posted:
  • Harob11Harob11 Harob11 Members  1071WRX Points: 131Posts: 1,071 Platinum Tees

Hi, the entire program is digital. Accessible on cell phone, tablet or laptop/desktop. The artwork on the website is just that... artwork.

Rob.

Posted:
    Drive 400 - Swing Faster. Drive Further. www.puredistancegolf.com/drive400
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members  924WRX Points: 288Handicap: 9Posts: 924 Golden Tee

Just another plug for the program...I mainly did it for the mobility improvements and thought it would be a good workout that could help me with my golf game. I wasn’t initially sold on the distance gains, but didn’t really care because that wasn’t necessarily why I started the program.

I’m almost “done” with it now (though I intend to continue it), and here are my results:

• I feel a bit more flexible and mobile, and my back no longer hurts if I really go after a swing
    • I feel “stronger” and a little more “ripped”
    • My golf game has gotten better (though I suspect that is from a variety of different things, but I modified Drive400 to add some exercises that worked on some specific faults I have)
    • I’ve added about 2 clubs of distance and 15-20 yards off the tee. I now play almost exclusively a 3/4 swing with my irons yet need 1 LESS club than I would have two months ago. For example, we have a par 3 that I used to hit full 6 iron into. Now I swing a 3/4 7 iron and even that can be too long if I’m not careful. Also, I’ve now reached every par 5 on my home course in 2. Didn’t even attempt it for 3 of them in the past, but now if I hit a decent drive I’m definitely giving it a go. I played a round with a friend the other day that I hadn’t played with in a while. He couldn’t stop marveling at how long I had gotten. His home course has a long par 3 that everyone hits hybrid or 3 wood into. I reached it with a 3 iron and could have used a 4. I reached a par 5 that he hits driver-driver into, and only hopes to get to the front edge. I hit driver-3w and he couldn’t believe that I got there from where I was with a 3w.

The point isn’t for me to brag about my length (I swear!!!). I’m not WRX long at all!!! The point is that the program works if you follow it, and it is definitely worth the $.

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • SirFuegoSirFuego Members  275WRX Points: 123Posts: 275 Greens

Has anyone played around with other golf/rotary sport fitness programs (LoadXPlode, Golf Body Blueprint, and/or a TPI trainer) and can comment on how similar they are to Drive 400 -- at least from the mobility/flexibility/strength aspect?

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @LeftDaddy said:

Just another plug for the program...I mainly did it for the mobility improvements and thought it would be a good workout that could help me with my golf game. I wasn’t initially sold on the distance gains, but didn’t really care because that wasn’t necessarily why I started the program.

I’m almost “done” with it now (though I intend to continue it), and here are my results:

• I feel a bit more flexible and mobile, and my back no longer hurts if I really go after a swing
    • I feel “stronger” and a little more “ripped”
    • My golf game has gotten better (though I suspect that is from a variety of different things, but I modified Drive400 to add some exercises that worked on some specific faults I have)
    • I’ve added about 2 clubs of distance and 15-20 yards off the tee. I now play almost exclusively a 3/4 swing with my irons yet need 1 LESS club than I would have two months ago. For example, we have a par 3 that I used to hit full 6 iron into. Now I swing a 3/4 7 iron and even that can be too long if I’m not careful. Also, I’ve now reached every par 5 on my home course in 2. Didn’t even attempt it for 3 of them in the past, but now if I hit a decent drive I’m definitely giving it a go. I played a round with a friend the other day that I hadn’t played with in a while. He couldn’t stop marveling at how long I had gotten. His home course has a long par 3 that everyone hits hybrid or 3 wood into. I reached it with a 3 iron and could have used a 4. I reached a par 5 that he hits driver-driver into, and only hopes to get to the front edge. I hit driver-3w and he couldn’t believe that I got there from where I was with a 3w.

The point isn’t for me to brag about my length (I swear!!!). I’m not WRX long at all!!! The point is that the program works if you follow it, and it is definitely worth the $.

Beautiful, love to hear to it man. Congratulations on your success!

Rob.

Posted:
  • tjw018tjw018 Lefty Boomers  190WRX Points: 84Posts: 190 Fairways

Anyone else hurt their wrist doing the rebound swings? Love the content but I just demolished my wrist day one of speed training, not really sure what I did wrong haha.

Posted:
  • TythonTython Members  6WRX Points: 17Posts: 6 Bunkers

Im starting this program tonight and Im wondering if its possible to make a playlist of all videos on vimeo, anyone knows or have any ideas? Would be a bit easier than manually pick each one from the pdf . Right now I have added all videos from the warm up section to "watch later" in Vimeo.

Looking forward to start!

David

Posted:
  • calfan36calfan36 Bay AreaMembers  276WRX Points: 108Posts: 276 Greens

I bought this a couple of years ago and have free PDFs saved. Haven't done it yet but want to start now. Are the PDFs different since then?

Posted:
  • ToolManSamToolManSam Members  6WRX Points: 17Posts: 6 Bunkers

For the minimal investment I decide why not give this program a try

My assessment: so far, I’m somewhat impressed

Has anyone that bought this program kept up with doing their routines daily?

Posted:

Advertisement

According to the website, you buy the program and also get all future updates. If there were any updates, you should have received an email with the updated PDFs or videos.

Posted:

I have experience with Golf Body Blueprint (GBB) and LoadXplode (LXP) and I bought the Drive 400 program because it was so cheap and was curious of the overspeed protocols without using the superspeed sticks.

The Drive 400 program looks great and is pretty complete. I don't doubt that you would get great results with it and it's a great value for its price. 18Strong will usually do a deep discount on GBB every few months so you can get it for $67. LXP used to have a monthly membership you could cancel at any time, but they have since changed that to where you need to pay the full $297 for access to it. I was lucky that I just happened join LXP when they were changing the model, so I paid for a month and they then granted existing members free access to it for the next 6 months while they changed over to the new model.

Drive 400 looks to require a substantially longer time commitment per workout provided that you follow the instructions and do a proper warmup and cooldown. The GBB and LXP routines take about 30-45 minutes (which includes warmup and cooldown). Looking at the sets and rest periods between sets for Drive 400, I'd expect those workouts to take a lot longer than that assuming you do the complete routine including warmup and cooldown.

Drive 400 also "requires" a squat rack, barbells, and a spotter (at least for the strength portions). The other programs can be done entirely by yourself with (adjustable) dumbbells, resistance bands (or an adjustable cable machine), and some other things most people will have at their house.

All three programs focus on improving strength, mobility, and speed. Although, I'd say that Drive 400 is more strength focused, LXP is more focused on (advanced) mobility (Jason Glass has said that LXP could still be done in conjunction with a traditional strength routine with squats, deadlifts, etc.), and GBB is somewhere in between. LXP doesn't start "strength" training until week 9, but the first 8 weeks will still challenge almost everyone (your core in particular) because of all the compound movements. All of them have components to convert strength and mobility into speed.

I think all programs would work well, so it really comes down to whether they meet your individual requirements of cost, time, equipment, and ability to have a spotter on hand.

I am on week 5 of GBB and I'm not sure that I'll have the time or equipment available to do Drive 400 when I finish that program (no squat rack at my gym, I don't feel comfortable doing front squats to failure, and spotter access is limited due to how few people are at my gym when I'm there). I'll probably do a hybrid program where I'll replace the mobility days of GBB with LXP workouts and some of the medicine ball work from Drive 400.

Posted:

Hey guys, first post with this new forum style and not sure how to reply to comments directly, but just letting you know, there haven't been any updates to the program just yet.

As far as mixing Drive 400 with other programs... if you have a strong understanding of strength training, it's doable. I don't believe any program is 100% perfect (unless fully customized to your individual needs based on several evaluations) so feel free to mix and match somewhat. I wouldn't overdo it though.

I designed Drive 400 to be modular... meaning, feel free to follow the program in its entirety (for maximum results) but if you don't have the time, by all means, pick and choose what areas to focus on based on your individual needs. Which by the way, you should try to have a solid understanding of. Honestly, the fastest way to improve in anything is to pay attention to your strengths and weaknesses and focus accordingly.

For some that may be to focus on the "Swing-Prep" portion of the Program (soft tissue work, stretching, nervous system activation, etc), for others it may be the Nutrition Program, others, the Med-Ball Program, and for others maybe just the Swing-Speed Drills. It just all depends.

I will say though, for $25, I'm very confident you will find something in there that you will like and benefit from.

Just a heads up, we have a lot of new stuff coming in 2020. We're really going to be putting out a lot of unique, very beneficial (yet always simple to implement) swing-speed and distance content on YouTube and Instagram, so if you haven't already, please give us a follow, we'd really appreciate it.

Anyway, good luck guys, Happy New Year and keep the questions coming.

Always happy to discuss!

Rob.

Posted:
  • lightgriplightgrip Members  316WRX Points: 88Posts: 316 Greens

Just purchased! Looking forward to it and hoping it will help this 62 year old with two bad knees.

Posted:
  • mws92mws92 Members  1040WRX Points: 103Posts: 1,040 Platinum Tees

@CoryPDG For someone that is currently doing the Beginner/Intermediate workouts and still going up in weight, what would you have them do in-season when they are playing events. I want to maintain my strength gains but don't really want to keep pushing weight.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CR_PDGCR_PDG Members  1WRX Points: 7Posts: 1 Starters

@mws92

thanks for the question.

need to get a better understanding of your background. Age, height, weight, skill level, and what you’re competing in currently.

at that point I can help you diagnose the proper format for your in-season program training.

looking forward to hearing back from you!

CR_PDG

Posted:
  • mws92mws92 Members  1040WRX Points: 103Posts: 1,040 Platinum Tees

@CR_PDG 35 years old, 6'1", 200 lb, and play at a high amateur level. Currently participate in Am events in arizona like State Am, etc. Typical tournament season is end of March through September. I have only been using the program since the beginning of the year so I haven't made that many gains but def made some progress.

Posted:

Nice job. Good to hear. Stick with it and I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

Rob.

Posted:
  • LobbyLobby Members  87WRX Points: 82Posts: 87 Fairways

I'm 65 years old and purchased the program 45 days or so ago. I hadn't played in 15 years (I used to be a 10 hcap), and the first time I went to the range I really couldn't hit the ball. The golf clubs seemed so heavy. I was almost grunting at the exertion of making the golf swing. I'd only put the club face on the ball about 1 out of 5 or 6 times. Ugh.

Even though I hadn't been playing golf, I had still been going to the gym. Sorta regularly. I hadn't lost much, if any strength in the normal exercises I'd do. But trying to hit a golf ball had definitely changed in those intervening years. I used to carry about 240 yards on my driver, at the beginning I'd barely carry 200.

The roller and lacrosse exercises were eye opening. My muscles felt like they were exploding when I first started doing them. Doing them now and I don't feel anything "creaking" like I did the first time.

All I do are the roller / lacrosse balls, whatever medicine ball stuff I can do indoors, and the beginning weight training. I haven't done any of the swing speed stuff, as I don't have a place to do them. I do the exercises 2 or 3 times a week.

I'm not going to say this program has been a miracle for me. But I will say this program has allowed me to place the clubface on the ball again. :-) Remember that I'm coming from a very low point in my flexibility / golf strength. I've played 18 holes twice since I've started the program. Shot 95 the first time and 93 the 2nd. I'm carrying my drives about 210, maybe 220.

The golf clubs still feel very heavy. The transition from the top of my backswing to the start of the downswing is difficult for me.

I don't have the balance I used to, so I'm afraid to use free standing barbell exercises. Instead I use these machines at the gym. Is this ok?

I'm glad I started this program. It's fun going out to the range / course again.

Leo

Posted:

@Lobby that's great to hear! Keep it going. You'll continue to improve.

Honestly just use and do what you can. Those machines are fine... they work well for assistance type training. The Drive 400 Program is designed to be the ideal combination of training for swing-speed, athleticism, tissue quality, movement, etc, but everyone is unique in what they are able to do, both in terms of fitness and time, so just do as much as you can and stick with it as long as you can, and I promise you, you will definitely improve. Anything is better than nothing.

Great job Leo.

Rob.

Posted:

Advertisement

What's up guys? Hope you're all staying safe. I wanted to do a little Quarantine Q&A session regarding the program, or anything swing-speed and distance related. Let me know any questions or comments you have and I'll be happy to do my best to answer them.

Rob.

Posted:
  • FakeClubProFakeClubPro Members  34WRX Points: 14Posts: 34 Bunkers

I am really interested. What was your driver distance before and after? Did you do the nutrition part? What was that like.

I see PGA teachers on line selling systems on effortless power for older guys to hit it 300 yards etc. How they can fix everything and give you all this distance within 40 balls on the range. If I could get that I would fly

to their school in Orlando and pay them $1000.

Posted:
  • FakeClubProFakeClubPro Members  34WRX Points: 14Posts: 34 Bunkers

Can you use your own clubs for speed exercises or do you have to buy those Speed Sticks? I bought a spanking new driver and did not gain 10 yards. I need help.

Posted:
  • xmanhockey7xmanhockey7 Members  353WRX Points: 94Posts: 353 Greens

I know you didn't ask me, but I do have the program. You use your own driver for the speed training.

Posted:

Hi. You use your own driver for the program. No additional clubs are required.

Rob.

Posted:
    • NEW

Advertisement

@FakeClubPro Hi. I don't about $1000 and 40 balls for 300 yards for older guys, but what I can swear on my life, is that if you follow Drive 400 as closely as possible, you will absolutely hit the ball considerably further than you did before, and your body will feel a lot better, in general.

In all honesty, when I designed the program, first and foremost, I just wanted to put as much quality content in there as possible, and make it affordable to hopefully everyone. Those were my only goals. Being a baseball guy, I did not want to jump into the golf industry, brashly creating some program that coats $500, looking like some cocky know-it-all. That's not my style. At all. Essentially I just felt like Golf was missing a program like Drive 400, so I took all my knowledge from training and playing professional sports, and designed it. So far it's been very well received and I'm happy about that. I encourage you to give it a go let me know what you think.

All the best.

Rob.

Posted:
    • NEW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.