What's wrong with Rickie/Ricky/Rick/Richard/Dick Fowler?

RainShadow

I sometimes wonder if....reading the number of posts stating player x has underachieved and not won enough-or even won any majors- they realize that there are only four majors a year? Bases on the number of “underachievers” on tour there would need to be about 100 events and 25 majors per year.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @freeze16172002 said:

> > @ray9898 said:

> > > @Lancj1 said:

> > > Its fairly simple. From a golfing perspective he isn't quite top tier.

> >

> >

> > 5 years being ranked as one of the top 20 golfers in the world isn't 'top tier'? LOL

> >

> >

>

> is he in the same tier as Brooks, Rory or even Tiger? definately not, then he is not top tier......the last 5 years? did he have 5 years as good as Dustin, Brooks, Spieth, Rory, Thomas, Day, Rose, Tiger, Bubba etc....He is definately not top tier. LOL

Thanks for the support :smile: Great golfer, not top tier. In the betting on Wed he was around 25/1 and bookies are never wrong. He plodded home to another Top 10. Another "consistent" week. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he never won a major. In fact I will be surprised if he does.

> @Lancj1 said:

> > @freeze16172002 said:

> > > @ray9898 said:

> > > > @Lancj1 said:

> > > > Its fairly simple. From a golfing perspective he isn't quite top tier.

> > >

> > >

> > > 5 years being ranked as one of the top 20 golfers in the world isn't 'top tier'? LOL

> > >

> > >

> >

> > is he in the same tier as Brooks, Rory or even Tiger? definately not, then he is not top tier......the last 5 years? did he have 5 years as good as Dustin, Brooks, Spieth, Rory, Thomas, Day, Rose, Tiger, Bubba etc....He is definately not top tier. LOL

>

> Thanks for the support :smile: Great golfer, not top tier. In the betting on Wed he was around 25/1 and bookies are never wrong. He plodded home to another Top 10. Another "consistent" week. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he never won a major. In fact I will be surprised if he does.

>

I still think he's better than 50/50 to eventually win a major. If you ran a computer simulation of all potential major outcomes over the next 10 years I'd bet the expected majors for Fowler would be around .75. But it certainly would never surprise me if he never won. That said the last two major winners were ranked 25-40 I believe. They were certainly not on anyones lists as eventual major winners.

I do find it funny that people think these show ponies who pile up high finishes are all due to eventually break through. Winning is a skill. I like Jordan Spieth's chances to figure it out much more than Fowler, Finau, and as much as I hate to put him in the show ponies group Fleetwood. These guys don't have enough experience winning golf tournaments where I think them winning is inevitable. I think if Finau, who's only win is in Puerto Rico, were to find himself in a position to win with a couple holes left in one of these tournaments he wouldn't know how to handle it.

> @RainShadow said:

> Another Sunday fade.....shame.

> Sure wish he’d win a Major sometime soon.....

> Too many doubles.....a lot of good shots in between. Tough day.

To be fair, +3 was a solid round in those conditions. Nobody really had a shot at Lowry anyways, he was built for those conditions and the lead he built allowed him to play smart par golf all day long.

Unfortunately I think Rickie's career is being judged on over the top media hype when he first came on Tour. The golf media were desperately trying to recreate Tiger type attention he became the it boy for awhile. That's not on him and is actually quite unfair to him.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @Bad9 said:

> Unfortunately I think Rickie's career is being judged on over the top media hype when he first came on Tour. The golf media were desperately trying to recreate Tiger type attention he became the it boy for awhile. That's not on him and is actually quite unfair to him.

This is true. He's pretty similar results wise to Matt Kuchar as far as win rates, consistently high rankings, and being good enough to play on most national teams during their prime. I've never heard anyone say Matt Kuchar was destined to win majors. Rickie is a topic at every major and is always one of the guys picked when experts make predictions. I'm not complaining. Rickie's a great guy and a great ambassador of the sport but it does inflate his expectations and create an unfair impression that he's underachieving when there's really no evidence to support that.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @Bad9 said:

> > Unfortunately I think Rickie's career is being judged on over the top media hype when he first came on Tour. The golf media were desperately trying to recreate Tiger type attention he became the it boy for awhile. That's not on him and is actually quite unfair to him.

>

> This is true. He's pretty similar results wise to Matt Kuchar as far as win rates, consistently high rankings, and being good enough to play on most national teams during their prime. I've never heard anyone say Matt Kuchar was destined to win majors. Rickie is a topic at every major and is always one of the guys picked when experts make predictions. I'm not complaining. Rickie's a great guy and a great ambassador of the sport but it does inflate his expectations and create an unfair impression that he's underachieving when there's really no evidence to support that.

Absolutely correct. That new Tiger will come along some time, it always happens, but chances are we haven't met him yet, unless its BK, who on current form seems destined to win multiple more majors. If you search, though, that was probably being said in 2014 about Rory after he bagged two.

Remember that Rory was picked by EA sports for their golf game replacing Tiger. He was the man. His golf this year has been superb, ten top fives, the Players, the Canadian Open.......5 years no major.

We should let em play their golf and enjoy them all

So my question would be what is a better indicator of eventually winning a major: good finishes in majors or high rate of winning tour events? My theory would be that winning a high rate of tour events would be a better indicator. Winning is a skill. For instance JT in 2017. He won 5 tour events and his only major thus far. He won as many tour events as Fowler/Finau/Fleetwood's career combined total in one season and his high level resulted in him getting his major. I'm a big Fleetwood guy and Fowler and Finau are both recognized as two of the really good guys on tour but I'll take the consistent winning of Rahm as much more likely to break through than these guys who're piling up good finishes.

Silly post imo. Who wouldn't want to be in Ricky's shoes at this moment in time living the life.

BTW I met his next door neighbor from his youth who spoke glowingly of RF and his whole family. Great person as a young man and adult.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

> @mosesgolf said:

> Silly post imo. Who wouldn't want to be in Ricky's shoes at this moment in time living the life.

> BTW I met his next door neighbor from his youth who spoke glowingly of RF and his whole family. Great person as a young man and adult.

Maybe I should have titled the thread " Why hasn't Fowler won more?"

I never said he was a bad guy.

I swear, it's like most people only read the thread title........

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• 3 years later...

Love these "what's wrong with so and so" threads.  They almost always someway somehow ressurect someone's career aka "reverse wrx jinx".  I hope the Smylie Kaufman one comes to fruition. 😁

• Haha 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2