2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Irons in between GI and players

jomatty

The 919 Forged are very forgiving and probably the best tweener irons out there other than a combo of the 585/785 combo. Just depends if you need more spin (919) or less spin/flatter flight (Srixon). I'd stick with what you have for a few months until Summer is well underway and then get fit though. Sounds like the two options I gave would work as both have longer blade lengths. Best of luck on your search.

Thank you and I think that is the answer. After hitting the apex again I am starting to warm up to them. I don’t like the feel of the c taper lite stiffs but the results were decent so maybe they will grow on me. Instead of selling the m2’s I’m going to hang on to them as well, just in case, and then later this summer or fall I can make a decision. Apex 19’s with modus or DG shafts may be perfect. Or the 919 forged...

This question can't be answered as stated. Reason being some people think anything that isn't a blade is GI, but others (like me) feel a GI club is something like a Ping G-series.

Your best bet is to go to Golfworks and look up Maltby Playability Factor rating for irons and then search through the database there for clubs with high MOI. Those clubs, along with a sole design that suits your swing pattern, will be the most forgiving if you miss the center of the face. You can also compare blade length (C dimension) to help with the selection. Do some research and make a science based decision. Polling the breatheren here always skews the results (opinions) toward small players clubs.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

C Taper lite stiff shafts are good shafts, but they are tough. No way around that. That can definitely impact the way you interpret an iron set. I would play some nice rounds with the C Taper lite stiff shafts, as they are very stable and really want to hit straight. But it was too much work for me to sustain that with those shafts on an ongoing basis, and too hard on my body.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

My round yesterday was funny in that way. I started out hitting them well and feeling like they may be just fine. By the end of the day I was struggling. Really had to focus just to make good contact. Obviously I can’t blame that all on the shaft but it definitely wasn’t helping. They just take a lot out of me and By the end of the round I wished I had my old club, or at least the s200 shafts.

Has anyone played the Mizuno Jpx 919 hot metal pro? From what I’ve read they are only slightly smaller than the hot metal and in between the forged and hot metal. They may be really good for me, since I’m still getting back into the swing of things after such a long lay off. I guess the question is if they are enough smaller than the hot metal to be worth getting...

ONOFF Forged or Kuro irons are exactly what you’re looking for

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I’d stick with the Callaway cf-16s...I think they are one of the best for the guy who is in between the players club and the game improvement club...good feel, forgiveness, playability. There are some other good suggestions but they are mostly in line with what you have...

• Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW Modus 105 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

I've tried most of the players distance irons. Here are my thoughts for you:

919 forged: definitely the best of the bunch for you. they're forgiving, long, and feel incredible. 7-pw is a bit chunkier than i'd like, but much thinner than an actual game improvement iron.

Ping i210: smaller, more blade-like compared to 919. Feel incredible, harder for a mid handicapper to get the right #s here though. I'd say these are better for a 10 handicap and below.

T200: Definitely the best looking at address. Rank 3rd for feel. Easier to hit than the i210s, but not as easy as the 919s. If you want a blade look that still pops off the face, get these.

Apex: Short and stubby from heel to toe (i.e. intimidating) but these things are hot off the face. I gained 10 yards with the 919s from my old clubs and the 2019 apex's were another 5-10 yds hotter than the 919s. Don't feel that great, don't look that great.

Srixon: People say these are player distance but they're really not. The 585 is intimidating, and a bit low spin, while the 785 is basically a muscle back. These are on the bladier end of the category and tend to be spin killers. I'd get fit for these first if you really want them.

P790/i500: Never hit these but but i know people that have and love them. They're smaller than 919 forged, IMO.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Wilson Staff D7 Forged nor the FG Tour V6s.

V6s have more traditional lofts while the D7 offers more GI lofts for distance without sacrificing feel.

Even the C300 Forged are a great buy right now.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

I think you should stick with the M2’s. You have only been back a short period of time. Get your game in a little better shape before you start club hunting. Sorry, but if you want to be a single digit handicapper I would save my money and get fitted in six months. It will be hard to find a good used set to match your specs and budget though. Think about a good driver, updated putter, and wedges. Those are the most important clubs in your bag anyway. Just don’t go the eBay route.

I appreciate the feedback. From a saving money standpoint you are right. However I like gear...I’ve got a mizzy st190 driver, a nice putter and decent wedges. Just because I may pick something up now, doesn’t mean I won’t get fitted in the next year or so...but yeah, I don’t need to replace my irons. I probably will, but it’s not necessary.

@jomatty You can't go wrong with the Srixon z745 or any Srixon 7 series at all if your swing matches the sole. I've owned the z945 and z765's and I'm a picker that needed a thinner sole, so those are being played somewhere else now.
If you're like me and like a slimmer sole and smaller head, the Ping i500's are a great choice too. Being this is the season of Covid and getting fit is tough, I'll ship you a set I have so you can try them out. 5-PW, regular lofts, shafts are Aerotech Steelfiber 110cw in stiff, red dot so bent 1* flat. All you have to do is pay shipping both ways.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I did something similar: went from somewhat bulky thick topline clubs (Cleveland CG16) to something nicer looking and feeling : Srixon Z355. They're about 5 years old by now so can befound for sharp price. Plugged in golf has nice review of them.

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

Played just about every iron options in this category and I always find myself back to the Apex. Currently playing the Apex 19 and still have the cf16 in the closet! They are great irons. I would say it takes some getting use to with the stubby head, especially coming from m2 irons.

Personally I would go with cf16 /z565 for my pick, P790 are great irons but a little boring in my opinion. I200 are good also but you'll lose some distance unless you power spec them and they arn't forged! . hope that helps!

Very helpful. I think a little of my issue with the Apex was the shock factor. After being used to looking at the M2 The face really looked small. Set I got also had a set of c taper lite stiff shafts. I think I would struggle with any irons using that shaft. It’s just not a good fit for me. I ordered some cheap Nippon pulls and I’m going to try my hand at a little club modification. If nothing else it will be a fun project to keep me busy. I also got a set of I 500s headed my way. I’m definitely looking forward to giving those a try. If neither of those works then I will know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I should just play what I have until I get much better...

I500 are definitely going to be long, those irons IMHO are great and forgiving but when I tested them the sound of them just didn't cut it for me. It was a little harsh compared to the P790.

Some players like the stubby head of the Apex irons and some like to see it slightly elongated. I think it's important for you to look down and feel confident. I think any non hollow forged irons /players distance irons coming from the m2 will be slightly intimidating whether it's a thinner top line or smaller face. You'll get use to it. If you have a solid swing on the m2 and flushing it it's not like a new head is going to majorly change that. I always thought I would be able to hit blades. And last week for fun I played with a set of titleist MB. Same shaft with just a more intimidating head. Hit them great minus I lost about a club of distance.

Get fitted by a reputable person (I should do the same) and you'll be fine. The more you play with the irons the more confident you'll feel! Next thing you know you'll be saying the same thing about your player distance wondering if you shoudl switch up to blades ?