How do you not rush the transition?

I need weight. Light clubs and everything is too rushed feeling. I go as heavy as I can that still retains speed/distance and doesn't wear me out by the end of a round. The proper amount of weight takes care of my tempo/transition. My body reacts as it should to the weight. The lighter the clubs, the more it turns into an all arms no turn, no core, no legs swing

• Like 1

Can't speak for Monte, but have seen him talk on the subject before and my own feel matches up with this.

On the backswing at left arm parallel you should be maxed pressure on the right side. From left arm parallel to the top of the swing is when the pressure should start shifting into your left side. With max pressure being felt at or right before left arm parallel in the downswing.

That's where there is some variance from PGA players. Exactly when they start to shift to the lead side is all slightly different. But in between left arm parallel in the backswing to right before the top of the backswing you can see them start to move into that left side. I think the key is to realize that they all start shift before reaching the very top of the backswing.

Also it is a gradual build into the left side. At least that's how it feels to me. There's a natural rhythm or momentum that gets me to start shifting into the left side. I don't forcefully dig into my left foot or anything.

This happens to me when uncomfortable and it leads to shanks and other bad shots and I end up with a lot of one hand finishes.

I can't speak for everyone, but I am someone whos lower half starts before the upper and it exacerbates, not fixes it. I have no idea what your swing is, but if you're more likely to be under plane having the lower half move first is likely to make this worse. Why? Because your lower half (like mine) is probably moving incorrectly to start with.

Two things that I've focused on that have helped:

Keeping trail hip/knee out of the way. Go look at Monte's Instagram and find the video with Justin Rose and a Blue line.In the first few feet of the backswing I have been working on moving much slower and building speed as I take the club back. I'm not trying to swing slower, I'm trying to reapply where I'm swinging the fastest. I've been doing this while using Tour Tempo and have had the best success with 24/8 ratio.This could be beneficial or harmful to you, I have no idea, just sharing experiences.

In search of solid contact...

I just say wait wait wrist(in my head if I’m playing with anyone) after that it’s automatic because everything has to go. If I miss actually moving the wrist then it’s A steep pull or push. The more I practice the more it happens probably about 50/50 now. I hope it becomes natural soon as it does make my on course game a bit range like. No freeing up the mind for me just yet:-)

What helped me was adding more lateral bend in the backswing, along with making sure I had depth at the top from a good setup.

Transitions get weird when you have nothing to pull from. Depth at the top really digs in that feel of tightness in the lats. From there, your downswing feel (legs) should really yank that torso around. It feels amazing once you get it.

• 2 weeks later...

lots of good suggestions here. i struggle with this occasionally and it's something i've spent a lot of time working through. here are some things that have worked for me:

heavier clubs. e.g. the heaviest i can comfortably swing.hitting 100y 7-/8-irons with a full swing, and sometimes even doing this with long irons; super humbling at first but rewarding when you can do it consistently.freezing for a couple of seconds at the top of the backswing9-3 drill (or whatever you want to call it). basically doing half swings with a 7-iron (or sand wedge or whatever) and using the body to swing. learning to enjoy the transition just like i enjoy flushing the ball at impact.WRT enjoying the transition -- some classic golfer gave this advice in an old youtube video. i wish i could find it to give credit... anyway, i know this advice is super vague/ambiguous but it's been really helpful for me and i try to keep it in mind, especially when i get too "jumpy" or feel disconnected around the transition.

focusing on enjoying the transition has also helped me develop some good feels toward the top of the backswing. e.g. i like to feel like i'm pausing for a fraction of a second once my chin touches my left shoulder at the top of the backswing. i know my body is still in motion but for that fraction of a second my chin is on my shoulder i feel like i'm at a checkpoint gearing up to hit a great shot. rushing past that checkpoint does not feel good, kind of like running out of the house in the morning with shoes untied, no breakfast, and 5 minutes behind schedule. i'd rather avoid that kind of unnecessary stress. :)

ha, I like the "enjoy the transition" advice and I sort of know what you mean. when I'm not anxious for whatever reason, sometimes I do sort of relax at the top and don't feel like I need to get back to the ball as soon as possible.

Another thing I've been doing to not just yank down on the club is to think of my arms going away from the target down the line. This advice is something Jim Waldron mentions as well as a lot of other instructors in different ways. But, it really helps when I get into just yanking the club down as soon as possible. When I do it, it initially feels like it's taking forever to get to the ball, but that's obviously the feel I need.

There was a good thread here that talked about cross-dominant players (leftys who play righty, etc). A few posters noted the similarities between the golf swing and other sports. One mentioned the two-handed backhand in tennis (which works well for me, as a lefty who plays righty).

But the one post that may help you more was the reference to throwing a frisbee (backhanded). You wind up (backswing to the top), and then lead from the ground up: weight shift, hips open, shoulders, then arms, then hands. That visual really spoke to me. Maybe it will help you as well.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:Β  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:Β  Nippon Modus 125 WedgeΒ 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*:Β Nippon Modus 125 WedgeΒ 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback