2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Contrarian set-ups?

Mitchell

This topic may have been covered in various forms in the past, just was curious as to how many players here seem to play a set that is in opposition to the trends that permeate advertising currently. Examples would be so-called "obsolete" clubs and shafts, fewer hybrids and wedges, less "forgiving" clubs, less well-known/marketed manufacturers, etc. Doesn't have to be old stuff, just different from what you may consider to be the norm. So who considers themselves a contrarian, why, and what are you using?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Well... I LOVE long irons (2,3,4) and strong 3 woods, and I refuse to "loft up" hows that?

• Like 1

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Great thread. No hybrids in my bag. Carry a 64* wedge which comes into play often on the green side shots. Due to the extra wedge I go from a 15.5 3wood to a 3iron. Normally about a 20 yard gap that rarely comes into play.

Titleist 913 D3 8.5* NV 75 X
TaylorMade 790 UDI 17* HZRDUS 6.0 (2019)
Titleist 710 MB 3-PW S400
Titleist Vokey SM4 (54, 60, 64)
TaylorMade TP DUPAGE 34in, 4*Flat
@EMechling #poundtown

K15 (hacker) Driver, Launcher FL 17* 3w with a whippy stock shaft, i20 20* hybrid with stock LOW launching shaft, mp14 3-pw (blades, really?), 54 & 60 fg tour wedges, Scottsdale tr Shea h putter. Odd combination I know. Shooting in the low 80s.

Titleist 910D3 9.5* AD-BB 6x
TEE CB2 15* ProForce V2 75s
TEE CB2 18* ProForce V2 75s
Ping i20 20* TFC707H 82s
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW S300
Vokey Oil Can SM4 58.06*
WITB Link

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1393136372' post='8726480']
[color=#800080]Being a girl , basically everything i play is contrary to the *normal* . I haves a 13 degrees 712 u i likes to use.[/color]
[/quote]Sam, you definitely have personal touch to your choices and that is imo, a good thing.

Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[color=#800080]I gots it from a guy ands it had some *tour issue* x-stiff thing in it. I actually coulds handle it , but put the aerotech i95 in it instead. I tolds a club worker guy to bend it as far down as possible withouts messing up off sets ands things. He saids 13 degrees was probably the limit. Playing it low off the tee is fun , but height is possible also. [/color]

[color=#800080]I will hits anything somebody gives me , whether it is 100% optimal , who knows. Some clubs for me is abouts *fun* , ands 200 or more downs the fairway with a low *stinger* types shot on female par 3's is very helpful. [/color]

[color=#800080]The 712u is so easy to hit , it is almost *stupid* . I will see how my fitting goes this spring , but i was looking at a 3 iron version possibly. No , i do nots play hybrids or woods really besides driver ands sometimes a 3 wood.[/color]

[color=#800080]Peoples call me the anti-girl as i likes heavy clubs ands stiffer flexes , but i do likes that XP105 shaft i will say.[/color]

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1393137161' post='8726518']
[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1393136372' post='8726480']
[color=#800080]Being a girl , basically everything i play is contrary to the *normal* . I haves a 13 degrees 712 u i likes to use.[/color]
[/quote]Sam, you definitely have personal touch to your choices and that is imo, a good thing.
[/quote]

[color=#800080]Oh , i takes grief a lot. Some idiots even challenge me to a closest to the target contest. Good players are a challenge , but most are ego filled men. So , it is fun to beat thems in fronts of their *buds* .[/color]

[color=#800080]I always am who i am. I am just surprised how many pick up my clubs ands say how do i swing with so much *stuff* on my shafts or club heads.[/color]

I have a Slotline SS385 because I loved the look at address immediately. I'm using component wedges because I can afford them new. I guess the rest of my club choices are born out of cost issues as well - hence, most of them are a few or several models old.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1393142865' post='8726670']
Contrary yep! .... mmm steel in my driver, woods & irons yet graphite in the putter!

J
[/quote]Fluffy, make that driver a J33p and would definitely use that set-up, although the Yonex putter had a bit of glare.

Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1393143673' post='8726688']
[quote name='fluffy265' timestamp='1393142865' post='8726670']
Contrary yep! .... mmm steel in my driver, woods & irons yet graphite in the putter!

J
[/quote]Fluffy, make that driver a J33p and would definitely use that set-up, although the Yonex putter had a bit of glare.
[/quote]

The J40 wasn't actually bad shafted with steel, but I had a hard time looking at a short shaft with a massive head ... just looked out of proportion. These day's I have more fun with persimmon or my ancient TM 7* Tour burner. And your right about the glare on the ADX...luckily I have an ample supply of dulling spray!

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1393130558' post='8726124']
This topic may have been covered in various forms in the past, just was curious as to how many players here seem to play a set that is in opposition to the trends that permeate advertising currently. Examples would be so-called "obsolete" clubs and shafts, fewer hybrids and wedges, less "forgiving" clubs, less well-known/marketed manufacturers, etc. Doesn't have to be old stuff, just different from what you may consider to be the norm. So who considers themselves a contrarian, why, and what are you using?
[/quote]In my 41 yrs. of being involved in this game... I have it figured out! Just kidding, I mean I have me figured out. I know what l like to look at AND what performs the best for what I can do with a club in my hand.
Here are the things I like and work for me: A shorter, more lofted opened face driver, a 5 wood from the turf, chrome forged blades with thin top lines and rounded toe profiles and weaker lofts, older forged G/S wedges and Ping Eye 2 and XG, S/L wedges and my collection of Ping putters. I've used the same type of steel shafts for the last 30 years( Apex- Dynl. Gold- XP) and Grafalloy Prolite graphite since it came out.
My yardages are the same they have always been, 155- 7 iron, 12 degree gaps up and down from there. Driver goes 240- 250 but use to go further before a car accident. I fiddle with different wedges now and again ,but always carry P-G-L. I can still shoot in the 70's if the course isn't longer than 6,700 yards and my back holds up on holes 14-18. I played at very high level for a little while before the accident took it away. I've owned two different golf repair shops and am working on building number 3. I love golf and clubs and tinkering with them...what more is there?

I'm a contrarian by nature and that can be seen in many of my club choices. All of my clubs in my primary bag are six years (or more) old. I play a 5 hybrid and my wedges match my irons. In my secondary (vintage) bag, I continue to not follow the norm. My steel shaft woods are configured driver, 3 wood, 7 wood, and 9 wood.

[quote name='dcr147' timestamp='1393163351' post='8727202']
[/quote]In my 41 yrs. of being involved in this game... I have it figured out! Just kidding, I mean I have me figured out. I know what l like to look at AND what performs the best for what I can do with a club in my hand.
Here are the things I like and work for me: A shorter, more lofted opened face driver, a 5 wood from the turf, chrome forged blades with thin top lines and rounded toe profiles and weaker lofts, older forged G/S wedges and Ping Eye 2 and XG, S/L wedges and my collection of Ping putters. I've used the same type of steel shafts for the last 30 years( Apex- Dynl. Gold- XP) and Grafalloy Prolite graphite since it came out.
My yardages are the same they have always been, 155- 7 iron, 12 degree gaps up and down from there. Driver goes 240- 250 but use to go further before a car accident. I fiddle with different wedges now and again ,but always carry P-G-L. I can still shoot in the 70's if the course isn't longer than 6,700 yards and my back holds up on holes 14-18. I played at very high level for a little while before the accident took it away. I've owned two different golf repair shops and am working on building number 3. I love golf and clubs and tinkering with them...what more is there?
[/quote]

I was enjoying your post til I got to the 12* gaps part……so like a 5* driver and 65* wedge and only 4 clubs in between?

LOL I know you meant 12 YARD gaps but I couldn't resist. Kinda bored this morning.

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1393138902' post='8726586']
[color=#800080]I gots it from a guy ands it had some *tour issue* x-stiff thing in it. I actually coulds handle it , but put the aerotech i95 in it instead. I tolds a club worker guy to bend it as far down as possible withouts messing up off sets ands things. He saids 13 degrees was probably the limit. Playing it low off the tee is fun , but height is possible also. [/color]

[color=#800080]I will hits anything somebody gives me , whether it is 100% optimal , who knows. Some clubs for me is abouts *fun* , ands 200 or more downs the fairway with a low *stinger* types shot on female par 3's is very helpful. [/color]

[color=#800080]The 712u is so easy to hit , it is almost *stupid* . I will see how my fitting goes this spring , but i was looking at a 3 iron version possibly. No , i do nots play hybrids or woods really besides driver ands sometimes a 3 wood.[/color]

[color=#800080]Peoples call me the anti-girl as i likes heavy clubs ands stiffer flexes , but i do likes that XP105 shaft i will say.[/color]
[/quote]

My wife has nowhere your ability, but everytime we go on holidays and she has to rent clubs as a left she ha limited choices.

A few weeks ago we were in the DR and she played mens stiff steel shafted clubs and hit them very well.

Her go to tee club is a stock R9 three wood with a 75 gr mens regular shaft.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

i consider myself a contrarian, though my bag right now might not necessarily support that from top to bottom.

But, a few years back when i used G15s, i guess not as many guys here were talking about low handicaps using full blown SGI's. This was before Choi played them, or Chris Couch played them on tour. I remember even when i bought them thinking this was just really weird....but i loved them. A lot of people on the site emailed me and said they had started using SGI type irons and talked about experiences. Was a lot of fun....i guess that was kind of contrarian. And i still use JPX825's which are SGI, though a bit cleaner

I've used a lot of stuff from smaller companies, my upcoming Wishon driver, Axe shafts, deschamps putters, i played most of last season with dark yellow Wilson FG tour balls....I like supporting guys like that, or using weird stuff sometimes. I don't know, i guess it's my way of sticking to marketing companies that say their stuff is so much better. It's like "Oh yeah, then beat me with it"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Was asked to post what was contrarian about my set for those that could not view signature function, no ultralight clubs, sub 400cc driver with more modern shaft, single fairway wood, no hybrids and traditional lofted blades with heavy shafts, no gap wedge or multi-stamped raw wedges, simple boutique putter fit to my stroke- basically opposite of everything marketing/advertising states as required to play well.

Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Ping Zing2 BeCu

The most "contrary" thing about my bag set up are probably the 44" shafted driver and 56* as my highest lofted wedge.

[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1393171052' post='8727778']
[quote name='dcr147' timestamp='1393163351' post='8727202']
[/quote]

I was enjoying your post til I got to the 12* gaps part……so like a 5* driver and 65* wedge and only 4 clubs in between?

LOL I know you meant 12 YARD gaps but I couldn't resist. Kinda bored this morning.
[/quote]No problem..my bad for not clarifying...BTW, my putter is 5*..= forward press.

how about what I just switched from...titleist 94 model tour model blades 1-9 iron..i carried no fairway woods or hybrids and just driver 1-9 then 3 wedges and putter.... switched just 2 weeks ago to a set of 3-9 iron titleist zb forged and added a 712u 2 iron ..still no 3 wood or hybrid... its honestly the same setup... the older irons just had weaker lofts...but with the new setup I can run another wedge if I want or add 3 wood if need be..home course 6950 yds I don't need the 3 wood...so call me contrary

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Contrary for this site any way:
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver stock S shaft
15 degree Shear-Line 3w shafted w/DGS300 (they make those crappy putters for goofy golf courses) bet there's not another one on the planet. I also have the matching driver and 5w.
Sometimes use a 15 degree Clevelad Launcher Ti with the stock R flex shaft instead
TEE Trilogy 4w
Cobra DWS 4&5 hybrids
Ping I5 6-P
No GW
Eye 2 XG SW
No LW
Odyssey Mini T

Not to mention in the closet is a set of Wilson Di-9 4-G and a set of Srixon I701 4-P. Probably not too many on this site with those 2 oddballs lying around.

Cobra ZL
Titleist 915f 5w
Cobra Fly Z XL 5h
Ping Rapture v1 6-PW
TM ATV 56 SW
Odyssey Mini-T putter

My all-Ping gamer for A1 swing :

G2 8.5° Driver stock stiff graphite
Zing (blonde) 3-wood 16.5° KT-M
S59 2-W Z-Z65 Cushin
MB 54° + 58° CFS X
Scottsdale Anser BeNi

These contrarions work better than anything when swing is A1.
The problem is my swing is 90% Cs & Ds so I may have to resort to i20s...

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

My club selection is actually quite comformist. I'm a short-hitting bogey golfer and my clubs are Ping game-improvement ones: G20 irons and G25 woods plus a Taylormade Daddy Long Legs putter.

The only thing contrary about it is more along the lines of being out of sync with current trends. I don't have any hybrids at all. Just a driver and 4-wood then 3-iron through "L" wedge from the G20 range.

It's because of my conformist, super easy to hit, wide-soled, big-headed irons that I'm able to be contrarian and carry a 3-iron, 4-iron and 5-iron. There just isn't a hybrid club out there any easier to hit straight and get up in the air than a G20 long iron. And I don't care if anyone else believes it or not.

I used to have a contrarian setup, but I ditched it in favor of the poseur setup!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]