Why were Spieth and Kaymer not on clock?

PuttLeftHitRight

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Go_Time' timestamp='1399820426' post='9273173']
[quote name='PuttLeftHitRight' timestamp='1399819521' post='9273089']
Not to mention Spieth's 3rd on 18 took over 10 minutes. PGA needs to get this crap under control or they will lose all their viewers.
[/quote]

Silly man. Most viewers don't even notice.
[/quote]

Pretty sure they did when no one else was on the course. It was an easy pitch shot too. He is a slow player.

[quote name='PuttLeftHitRight' timestamp='1399820484' post='9273175']
[quote name='Go_Time' timestamp='1399820426' post='9273173']
[quote name='PuttLeftHitRight' timestamp='1399819521' post='9273089']
Not to mention Spieth's 3rd on 18 took over 10 minutes. PGA needs to get this crap under control or they will lose all their viewers.
[/quote]

Silly man. Most viewers don't even notice.
[/quote]

Pretty sure they did when no one else was on the course. It was an easy pitch shot too. He is a slow player.
[/quote]

He's doing purely to annoy you, seems it is working?

Either one of them is going to win $1.8 million. I don't think they care if they are taking a little longer.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

"20 year old" Jordan Spieth reminds me of Webb Simpson, Keegan Bradley and Kevin Na - beyond slow and getting worse.

I wish the PGA Tour would be like the NBA and NFL by instituting a "30 second play/shot clock". A buzzer going off after 30 seconds indicating that the offending players has to add a stroke to their score just might speed things up.

Sports psychologists could figure out how to design a "timed" pre-shot routine instead of the open-ended one that players use now. Someone has to take the first step toward remedying the problem.

You have to admit that watching the NBA is less-boring with the 30 second clock that it was without it, even though sometimes 30 seconds seems too slow!

[quote name='dbleag' timestamp='1399823631' post='9273387']
"20 year old" Jordan Spieth reminds me of Webb Simpson, Keegan Bradley and Kevin Na - beyond slow and getting worse.

I wish the PGA Tour would be like the NBA and NFL by instituting a "30 second play/shot clock". A buzzer going off after 30 seconds indicating that the offending players has to add a stroke to their score just might speed things up.

Sports psychologists could figure out how to design a "timed" pre-shot routine instead of the open-ended one that players use now. Someone has to take the first step toward remedying the problem.

You have to admit that watching the NBA is less-boring with the 30 second clock that it was without it, even though sometimes 30 seconds seems too slow!
[/quote]
i've never seen an NBA game with a 30 second shot clock.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[quote name='Jim Clark' timestamp='1399820223' post='9273145']
It's painful watching Spieth, his pre-shot routine is ridiculous. He's got to fix that.
[/quote]

If that's the worst thing he's got going on, I'm thinking he'll be fine. Now, plhr on the other hand? He's gonna have a lot of sleepless nights 'cause this kid ain't going anywhere. It is killing him that JS is constantly near the top of leaderboards and his boy can't find a spot on the back of a milk carton. Kinda makes it all worthwhile actually.

That said, I hate slow play. But this goes beyond just a handful of guys out there. It is a vast majority and leads to horrible tv viewing. Something needs to be done-in a dramatic fashion.

He is slow. I mean, I cringe to think that I may agree with PLHR, but Spieth is one slow player...we can probably just add him to the list of players that get a pass because everyone just loves him.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1399821972' post='9273281']
Either one of them is going to win $1.8 million. I don't think they care if they are taking a little longer.
[/quote]

Not so fast......but it sure is looking that way.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1399823858' post='9273413']

[/quote]
[/quote]
Also, the NBA implemented the shot clock in 1954. So most people never saw a game without a shot clock.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1399825463' post='9273557']
I cringe to think that I may agree with PLHR.
[/quote]

:D
So do I.
But in the case of Spieth, I think it is really important that they do something fast.
I believe that he is bound to become THE next superstar and that he will influence a lot of kids, who will probably take up the game because of him. So his ridiculous pre-shot routine needs to be taken care of quickly, before he becomes so essential to the Tour and to TV stations that nobody dares to say anything negative about him any more.
I shudder to think that the next generation of tour players and of recreational golfers alike could be convinced that this is how you correctly prepare for a shot.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1399823858' post='9273413']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Must be the one with a 6 second delay. :D

[quote name='trapp20' timestamp='1399830172' post='9273897']
[quote name='UGABMC398' timestamp='1399818783' post='9273039']
Even my GF commented about it. They were taking FOREVER from about 12 on in.
[/quote]

Wait, you actually got your girlfriend to watch golf?!
[/quote]

Wife watches. In between making me sangwiches.

King of the Castle, yo!

(If you never see another post from me, it means she saw this and my thumbs are broken)

The PGA Tour talks a good game in front of a camera, but if they really cared about making an attempt to speed up play, they'd put the hammer down and start handing out penalty strokes instead of fines. Fall behind....you go on the clock. Once on the clock, give them a hole or two to get back into position. If they don't, a stroke penalty is incurred. How can you expect them to speed up when the penalty isn't nearly harsh enough?

The only issue here is that when one player in the group is the culprit, he alone needs to be the one to get the slap....which of course will pretty much warrant having a tour official with each and every group monitoring individual speed of play.

Not sure there is an easy way to implement it.

Jordan is really only slow on shots to the flag from the fairway or tee on a par 3. Those are the scoring shots. I hate slow play, and would like to see Jordan speed it up but maybe some other players should grind over it a bit more. Not mentioning any names, Rory.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

I don't really notice it as much. Possibly bc of the audio commentary bw him and his caddie.
Seems like part of the action, giving you their inside perspective. Similar to Phil and Bones. I actually like hearing them.

It's more entertaining than silent swinging or fidgeting.
It might get on my nerves later.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[quote name='JaNelson38' timestamp='1399856344' post='9276137']
These guys have no problem playing fast when trying to beat weather or darkness to finish out a round.

Slow play in the PGA Tour is getting no better because the Tour doesn't penalize anybody.
[/quote]

What could be more fitting than Furyk having the horn blow as he was in the middle of his pre-putt fidgeting on 18!?

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

[quote name='zonadub' timestamp='1399868542' post='9277183'][quote name='JaNelson38' timestamp='1399856344' post='9276137']
These guys have no problem playing fast when trying to beat weather or darkness to finish out a round.

Slow play in the PGA Tour is getting no better because the Tour doesn't penalize anybody.
[/quote]

What could be more fitting than Furyk having the horn blow as he was in the middle of his pre-putt fidgeting on 18!?[/quote]

Do they wait to blow the horn until after a player has finished his shot? I would hope to get a replay if that happened to me on 18.

The Tour isn't going to penalize any player in the last few groups in contention on tough stretches like the green mile or 16-18 at Sawgrass during a final round. But what Furyk did on 18 was about as bad as I've ever seen. I'm surprised he made it. That pre-shot routine would mess me up.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='Tim Meitner' timestamp='1399830820' post='9273959']
The PGA Tour talks a good game in front of a camera, but if they really cared about making an attempt to speed up play, they'd put the hammer down and start handing out penalty strokes instead of fines. Fall behind....you go on the clock. Once on the clock, give them a hole or two to get back into position. If they don't, a stroke penalty is incurred. How can you expect them to speed up when the penalty isn't nearly harsh enough?

The only issue here is that when one player in the group is the culprit, he alone needs to be the one to get the slap....which of course will pretty much warrant having a tour official with each and every group monitoring individual speed of play.

Not sure there is an easy way to implement it.
[/quote]
[quote name='JaNelson38' timestamp='1399856344' post='9276137']

[/quote]

Bingo. The Tour does not care. For emphasis: Does. Not. Care.

Pace of play gets lip service and nothing more.

Guys rip on the Golf Channel AM Tour for being slow, but they get it done. The lead group has 2:15 per 9 holes as a rule before penalty strokes get assessed. Folks who fall behind will also get strokes assessed.

I'd love to see them adopt a 3:50 pace of play on Tour. If you can't figure out how to play in 3:50, go down to the Web dot com and learn.

I'm getting more and more annoyed about this topic every day. When did customer service become defined as "cater to the slowest players on the course and f#*+ everyone else?