2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

To be a member of a C.Club or not to be...

So i've been debating if this is the year I become a member of a club, but I'm just not sure if Im C.C material or really understand all the perks of being a member-- I think I'd really utilize the membership for golf mostly instead of engaging in all social components and events.

I live in NW chicago and last season, I rekindled my love for the game again and played the most golf in one season that i've ever played(50+).

Is the money for membership worth it.. are there better options?

What really come with those memberships? are they negotiable?

Can anybody share some C.C experiences.. or maybe some Pros/Cons of C.C...

Thanks y'all

Callaway Big Bertha 2002 4i-10i/PW/SW
Callaway RazrX HL 3H/21* 4H/24* 5H/27*
Callaway FT-IQ(13*), Ping K15(10.5*)
Vokey 58*, Callaway MD 60*
ODYSSEY Black Series 2 Ball Putter
Callaway Hex Chrome / Titleist NXT

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caddied at a course from middle school all through college and had my application approved for membership after college. Unfortunately, I had to relocate for work.

In short, yes, the membership is worth it. If you play enough, you would end up saving in the long run versus playing a daily fee course (at least that was the case for me being in a "junior membership" category). Take a look to see if the club offers any additional playing privileges at other clubs in the area.

When you say you don't feel like club material, I can absolutely understand that. There were a few clubs where I applied and played a practice round where I just didn't feel welcome at all. I'd say this really happened at "new money" membership clubs. If you ask the pro, hopefully he'd be pretty honest.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

You have to decide for yourself if its worth it. Look into food minimums, any extra maintenance fees, extra cost for mens leagues and tournaments, cart fees if you ride, club storage, locker fees, tipping etc. There are more cost than just dues, so make sure you have a good idea of those (they usually aren't advertised).If you still think its worth it join!

Personally I wouldn't trade mine but we are all different.

A couple friends of mine are members at a private club in the area, and they've both said to me that you'll never be able to justify the per-round cost if that's the only way you look at it. You have to be able to find value in the other things the club offers.

Or do what I have done for the past three years and buy a season pass at one of the local semi-privates. I get my per-round cost down to about $10-15 per round that way.

I do someday hope to join a fully private club though. It's just not in the cards at this point in my life.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Since you don't understand all the perks of being a member at a C.C., (specifically, the Unnamed one that you're talking about) may I suggest that you ask at the Committee's level. (Instead of here)

I played with, (and, got him to join our club, for the following year) someone who had, at the time, a membership at an Elite C.C., in our area. He told me that he was made to feel, not at the other member's "level". He is [u]only[/u] a Doctor.

Just so you don't blame it on GolfWRX, you have a lot of homework ahead of you.............Clicks do exist, and your potential Course is not immuned! JIMHO!.................I prefer semi-Private or public membership courses. Semi being the best and at the top of my list.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

On a side note,
Judging only on your vocabulary and your handicap, you're gonna get killed at a (snobish) Private C.C. :-)

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

For me its been worth it and more.. none of the hassle of finding a place to play, making tee times, agonizing over prices and driving in every direction. It helps to have 2 separate courses like my club does but at the same time almost all of the guess work is eliminated.

I can play when I want, how long I want to, range when I want etc..

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

The club I belong to is pretty unique. It's a small club and very reasonable for dues, probably too cheap actually. I only have to play once or twice a week to really justify the cost just in greens fees. The course itself isn't anything spectacular, but it's a fun layout and our superintendent is awesome, so our greens are really pure.

But the biggest benefit for me is my club doesn't have a ton of members, so I can basically walk out any time and play a 4 hour round, even on the weekends. Nothing worse than a 6 hour round on a hot summer day at a public course.

Another perk we have is that our super has reciprocity at other private clubs, so we can go play a couple really nice places I could never afford too.

The social aspect of it is great too, but my club definitely has an older demographic, so there are only a few younger professionals (under 40) to socialize with.

G25 8.5* - Speeder TS 7.2x
RBZ Stage2 TS - Black Tie 8M3x
Anser 17* - SteelFiber 95x
J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

A private club in my area has a fitness membership program that allows you to play golf on Mondays so I joined that last year to sort of test out the experience. I did end up playing a few rounds with some of the full members there and while this was not an elite, snotty private course in our area, there were definitely a few times I played with members that gave me the wrong vibe. Convinced me that at age 30, and where I'm at right now, a private course might not be best for me to join full time. I ended up joining a semi-private course that I've played the most the past few years and I will get to do what I want to do most...just play golf a lot.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

obviously you are the only one who can determine if a membership is worth it to you or not. For me, it certainly is. My club is golf only, its a half hour from my house and is very cheap for a private club. Even paying in the months which I cant golf, I save money hand over fist. Now this isn't the case at most clubs. However, pace of play, ease of tee times, being able to just show up unannounced without a time and being able to get off immediately (mostly during weekdays is when I do this) is certainly something worth accounting for. I really don't partake in any of the social events, because that's not what I'm there for. Im there to play golf. In 2013 I played 50 or so rounds, I can count the amount of rounds that took more than 4 hours and 15 minutes on one hand.. it happened 3 times.

Clubs get a bad rep of being snobby and elitist. The fact is, as long as you are welcoming, open, and nice, you will have no issues. I always make sure to smile, look people in the eye and say 'Hi'... even if just in passing. I joined the club when I was 25 and felt I certainly wasn't going to fit in the with the other members. However, the more often I was there, the more I realized as long as you are nice and welcoming everyone will fit in. For some reason people are intimidated to say 'hi' to other people.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='bmr4242' timestamp='1390867111' post='8546431']
You have to decide for yourself if its worth it. Look into food minimums, any extra maintenance fees, extra cost for mens leagues and tournaments, cart fees if you ride, club storage, locker fees, tipping etc. There are more cost than just dues, so make sure you have a good idea of those (they usually aren't advertised).If you still think its worth it join!

[/quote]

SWMBO and I were CC members for 10 years. At the time our son played as well so we got our $'s worth. As the years rolled on, our son launched into college and then left home, so now it's just the 2 of us. The dues kept creeping up, but the services stayed the same. All the hidden/extra costs described above became a nuisance as we only used the golf course and the restaurant. Once it became clear that our annual layout of cash was significantly higher than we could play at all of our local public venues, we left. The pluses were - no waits for tee times, 3 hour rounds, walking allowed, play a few holes anytime any day, nice practice facilities, lots of tournaments, men's/ladies groups, nice eatery and pool. The downside - playing the SAME track every round, no cost cutting or efficiencies implemented (just raise the dues), some politics on major decision making (good 'ol boy network). We now use our state's Golf association discount card and play all over the state for max $29 per round with cart (VSGA - Virginia). I occassionally miss the privacy of my 'own' course and my public courses require tee times and longer rounds, but we are both VERY close to retirement and will soon be playing mostly on weekdays, so the long waits will be over.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Back in 1997, I joined a small, modest CC which I still belong. When I joined, membership was around 200, a swimming pool was still operational, and dances, dinners, and other amenities were available. The membership was growing older, and cliques dominated the golf.

As the years passed, the club has lost most members to deaths, economic downturns, and lack of new members. No more swimming, dances, etc. New members have come and gone, due to prevailing attitudes. Even today, with the membership around 50, and potential bankruptcy looming, the clique dictates all golf. The only saving grace is that so few play, others like myself can play most anytime. No crowds, but a poorly kept course. I mostly play alone walking or with a buddy. Works out well for me. I play as many or a few holes as I want, no waits, can skip around as long as nobody is affected. (rightly so.)

Clubs in the USA are having money problems. Many tack on charges for everything. Mandatory fees for food, carts, locker fees ,assessments, anything to squeeze more cash. One club I know has a surcharge for walking. Another for carrying your own bag. This BS doesn't even address the snootiness of the members. It's the attitude that "We want your money, not you." A local snooty CC has instituted a $10 yearly membership which allows "members" to pay exorbitant greens fees.

One saving grace is when a new or potential member is a excellent golfer. He will be welcomed with both arms. He can even play as a guest. Average or worse golfers will be given the bum's rush in club events, unless he or she is one of the chosen. When I joined my club, as an average golfer, it was made clear that I was not welcome for the Sat/Sun/Holiday morning events. I have not played in an event since.

One early July Saturday morning, 6 am, a buddy and I were teeing off, (to play before the usual "event".) The club "dictator" came out of the clubhouse and chastised us rudely for being there. I replied that I would leave when the "event" started. That appeased Mr. Dictator.

Such are some of the pros and cons of country clubs. Works for some, not for others.

The place I belong to had an outstanding practice facility (pitching range, bunker complex, two large putting greens, short nine hole course for short game, large grass range, and no food/drink minimum, plus a gym). It's ideal. In addition, the snob factor is very low.

I would not do well at a place where people put on airs.

I've been a member at several clubs over the years. Currently I keep a membership at the 9 hole CC that I grew up on and learned to play and I'm a member at what some would call an elite CC. I've also been a member at some nice clubs in whatever city I was living at the time.

They're all different. The biggest single factor in determining how you'll fit in at a particular club is you.

Many of the cliche'(s) are true and I've seen 'em all: cliques, snobs, grouchy people, too cool guys that think they're a lot better than they actually are, good guys that can't play a lick, rich guys that you wouldn't know had a dime, 3rd generation members that think they run the place, good pros, bad pros....Country Clubs are all over the place.

CC business is tough these days.

Find one that's offering a Low or No Initiation fee deal and try it for a year.

For me being a member of a CC has always worked out pretty good. But everyone is different.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1391347164' post='8582860'] Back in 1997, I joined a small, modest CC which I still belong. When I joined, membership was around 200, a swimming pool was still operational, and dances, dinners, and other amenities were available. The membership was growing older, and cliques dominated the golf. As the years passed, the club has lost most members to deaths, economic downturns, and lack of new members. No more swimming, dances, etc. New members have come and gone, due to prevailing attitudes. Even today, with the membership around 50, and potential bankruptcy looming, [b]the clique dictates all golf.[/b] The only saving grace is that so few play, others like myself can play most anytime. No crowds, but a poorly kept course. I mostly play alone walking or with a buddy. Works out well for me. I play as many or a few holes as I want, no waits, can skip around as long as nobody is affected. (rightly so.) Clubs in the USA are having money problems. Many tack on charges for everything. Mandatory fees for food, carts, locker fees ,assessments, anything to squeeze more cash. One club I know has a surcharge for walking. Another for carrying your own bag. [b]This BS doesn't even address the snootiness of the members. It's the attitude that "We want your money, not you." [/b]A local snooty CC has instituted a $10 yearly membership which allows "members" to pay exorbitant greens fees. One saving grace is when a new or potential member is a excellent golfer. He will be welcomed with both arms. He can even play as a guest. Average or worse golfers will be given the bum's rush in club events, unless he or she is one of the chosen. When I joined my club, as an average golfer, it was made clear that I was not welcome for the Sat/Sun/Holiday morning events. I have not played in an event since. One early July Saturday morning, 6 am, a buddy and I were teeing off, (to play before the usual "event".) The club "dictator" came out of the clubhouse and chastised us rudely for being there. I replied that I would leave when the "event" started. That appeased Mr. Dictator. Such are some of the pros and cons of country clubs. Works for some, not for others. [/quote]

Oh man, I'd swear you live in our neighborhood. This describes the course I live on exactly. I've only played this one when they were really hurting for cash and had to open to the public for a couple of years during spring. I ALWAYS got the feeling that they prefered I pay and then leave. Depending on who you are, you can play without joining but I wasn't born on the right side of the tracks I guess.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

Since you live in NW Chicago take a look at Itasca CC. Its a great track, tough, private. The rates are very reasonable for membership and the people there are very cool. I was a member there last year and under 40 its $375/month.

I'm glad I took the dive, I was able to get in about 80 rounds in last year and maybe 2 or 3 were over 4 hours. You can just show up and Phil the club pro will get you on or find a game for you.

Ping I25 9.5* Whiteboard 73x
TM V-Steel 15* Blueboard 83x
Ping G20 18* Blueboard 83x
TM Rescue 11 4H VS Proto 95x
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-PW PX 6.0
Vokey SM2 52.08/58.12 :: Odyssey V-line

[quote name='Chip2hole' timestamp='1390849086' post='8544143']
So i've been debating if this is the year I become a member of a club, but I'm just not sure if Im C.C material or really understand all the perks of being a member-- I think I'd really utilize the membership for golf mostly instead of engaging in all social components and events.

I live in NW chicago and last season, I rekindled my love for the game again and played the most golf in one season that i've ever played(50+).

Is the money for membership worth it.. are there better options?
What really come with those memberships? are they negotiable?

Can anybody share some C.C experiences.. or maybe some Pros/Cons of C.C...

Thanks y'all
[/quote]

I'm down in Naperville and live in a golf community. Not a member though as there are so many awesome courses in the Chicago area. One of the big questions to ask yourself is do you want to play 90% of your rounds on the same course. With you being in the NW burbs, you have access to easily 30 great courses with a variety of styles and setups.

For me it just isn't worth it since I live in a place with WINTER and the course would be closed for 5 months of the year. If I owned a business and could write off a portion of it I might join one. I would rather spend that money going on golf trips and playing as many different courses as I can. In ten years I will e moving down South, and THEN, I will join a country club where I can take full advantage of the course on a year round basis.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1390938582' post='8552267']
obviously you are the only one who can determine if a membership is worth it to you or not. For me, it certainly is. My club is golf only, its a half hour from my house and is very cheap for a private club. Even paying in the months which I cant golf, I save money hand over fist. Now this isn't the case at most clubs. However, pace of play, ease of tee times, being able to just show up unannounced without a time and being able to get off immediately (mostly during weekdays is when I do this) is certainly something worth accounting for. I really don't partake in any of the social events, because that's not what I'm there for. Im there to play golf. In 2013 I played 50 or so rounds, I can count the amount of rounds that took more than 4 hours and 15 minutes on one hand.. it happened 3 times.

Clubs get a bad rep of being snobby and elitist. The fact is, as long as you are welcoming, open, and nice, you will have no issues. I always make sure to smile, look people in the eye and say 'Hi'... even if just in passing. I joined the club when I was 25 and felt I certainly wasn't going to fit in the with the other members. However, the more often I was there, the more I realized as long as you are nice and welcoming everyone will fit in. For some reason people are intimidated to say 'hi' to other people.
[/quote]

If I may ask, where are you a member?

Your experience at a club, is what you make of it. I am 26 years old and am a member at a local country club. The dues and initiation are relatively low and I utilize most of the facilities. (Golf, Dining, Tennis, Pool) I am about to relocate and am faced with a decision. One club is an old, traditional club that is one of the most prestigious in the area. The other club is a newer, Club Corp course with a very family friendly atmosphere. I am looking into the decision as an investment. What club will benefit me the most in the future. The imitation fees are 7k vs. 25K, which I would consider significant. I want a club that I can raise my family at. I take customers out regularly so, I want a variety of dining options. I am a low handicap player that enjoys playing a well manicured course. I am basing my decision on much more than the golf factor. I would suggest you decide what you are really wanting. You will never justify the cost on a price per round basis. You will only see the benefit if you are wanting the complete country club experience. As for acceptance/fitting in, I would recommend trying to meet a few members. Get involved in your community and see if you enjoy socializing with the members of the club. I commonly play golf with people 30-40 years my senior that are much more established and enjoy every minute of it. I aspire to be in their shoes and many of them take a liking to me for it. If you are not very outgoing and prefer to keep to yourself, the country club is probably not the best option for you.

I have been an on and off member of private clubs now for the last 6 years ever since I graduated college. For me, the price per round when I get down to it ends up be relatively inexpensive, but that is because I typically play 90-100 rounds a year which ends up leaving me around the 40$ a round mark.

If you're an after work quick 9 hole kind of guy then the private club is a real benefit. My club is no tee times so I will very often pop over after work, hit a few range balls, play 9 and go home. In the years where I had to bring myself to lay down that 25-40$ for an afternoon round I rarely did it, but that easy access just makes it so much more enjoyable.

The other aspect I've found is that you really have the ability to improve your game at a private facility if that's what you're looking to do. Call me whatever you want but the reality of the situation is private clubs have better greens, better sand, better fairways, more opportunity to tune your game the way that will really help you improve.

I also get involved in interclub matches which I really enjoy, GAP (Golf Associaton of Philadelphia) has great competition at the beginning of each year between clubs and the courses you play rotate every year. GAP also hosts a ton of tournaments which are great fun and great competition for those who chose to get involved.

Every club I've been a member at has been cliquey. This guy won't play with that guy there's a group that only plays with each other ect but you can always find a group of guys in my experience that you gel with and can have a great time playing with. I'm not big on the social aspect outside of golf, I play in all the hit tournaments and hang out in the 19th hole after rounds for a soda and get on my merry way.

I say do your homework, look at all the clubs that are reasonably close, most will even let you play a round as a potential member, and choose the one that makes sense for you geographically and financially. I've always loved my time at all the clubs I've been a member at and would reccomend it to anyone who is on the fence to go ahead and join.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball