2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Have you played your home state's "Bucket List" course

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1392162969' post='8647729']
[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1392154888' post='8646643']
Ohio has a lot of bucket list courses in terms of Top 100 US courses. Widdling it down to just Columbus, I consider 4 of them the 'Big 4'. Those are the 4 courses which are top 100 US courses in the city. I have played 3 of the 4. They are:

Muirfield Village (Played a handful of times and used to Caddy there)
Scioto Country Club (Played once)
Double Eagle (Played twice)
The Golf Club (still on my bucket list)

Outside of Columbus I would still love to play Firestone South, Camargo Club and Inverness Club
[/quote]

I've also played Longaberger and Avalon Lakes which have/are ranked pretty high. Played The Quarry which was supposedly #2 best public, nah. Just has crazy elevation stuff going on, nothing special to me.
[/quote]

I like The Quarry. Not as good as Longaberger but still pretty dang good.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even close in Maryland...Congressional, Bulle Rock, Cave's Valley, Baltimore Country Club, Chevy Chase CC, Burning Tree. At least I have gotten out on Lighthouse, River Marsh, Whiskey Creek, Queenstown River. Actually, looking at it, seems I started at the end of the alphabet and hopefully am working backwards. Hopefully.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1392408830' post='8669023']
Do you have a review of Cabot somewhere here? My brother and I were talking about taking a trip up.

--kC
[/quote]

I did find a piece the NY Times did on both Highlands and Cabot.
http://www.travel.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/travel/in-cape-breton-a-rugged-golf-getaway.html?_r=0

Cobra Black Speed X driver

TM Rocketballz 3 Wood

Titleist TR3 3 hybrid

TM P7MB 4-PW

TM Milled Groove 3 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Jailbird putter

[quote name='FSCMatt' timestamp='1392612692' post='8684441']
Do you have a review of Cabot somewhere here? My brother and I were talking about taking a trip up.

--kC
[/quote]

While I've never been there I've talked to Keiser and people involved in Cabot and I've been told to wait for Cliffs if you can. Not to take anything away from Cabot Links, but Cliffs is supposed to blow it out of the water.

As for the bucket list.. Michigan here and I've played Oakland Hills (South), Pointe o' Woods and The Dunes Club.
[/quote]

That is true. Cabot is great, ranked in the top 100 in the world but the Cliffs is supposed to be very top notch. To play Cabot, Highland Links and the Cliffs when opened, would make for one heck of a trip.

Cobra Black Speed X driver

TM Rocketballz 3 Wood

Titleist TR3 3 hybrid

TM P7MB 4-PW

TM Milled Groove 3 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Jailbird putter

[quote name='blaird' timestamp='1392049743' post='8636707']
I think I have. Old Waverly has held a US Womens Open and I have played there 15 times or so. Annandale is where the PGA tournament is held and I have played there 3 times. And Fallen Oak is where our Sr. PGA event is held and I have played there quite a few times.

Our State am this year is at Dancing Rabbit which is a top 5 course. I have played the Old course (which is where the state am is) once but havent played the new 18. I can only think of a couple courses that I havent played that are great courses: CC of Jackson, Reunion CC, and Tunica National.
[/quote]

I have played most of the courses on your list and was a member at Tunica National when I worked for MGM Resorts. I have played Fallen Oaks a lot and in my opinion, it is the best course in the state. It all depends on your preference though.

[quote name='Pinhigolf' timestamp='1392750481' post='8695291']

--kC
[/quote]

While I've never been there I've talked to Keiser and people involved in Cabot and I've been told to wait for Cliffs if you can. Not to take anything away from Cabot Links, but Cliffs is supposed to blow it out of the water.

As for the bucket list.. Michigan here and I've played Oakland Hills (South), Pointe o' Woods and The Dunes Club.
[/quote]

That is true. Cabot is great, ranked in the top 100 in the world but the Cliffs is supposed to be very top notch. To play Cabot, Highland Links and the Cliffs when opened, would make for one heck of a trip.
[/quote]

Keiser wanted to build Cliffs first, but Nova Scotia wanted to make sure it would be a successful golf destination first. Keiser told me he thinks that Cliffs could debut in the top 5 of the world (his exact words). That won't happen, but that tells me it'll be an unbelievable course.

i'm in Florida and not even sure what THE bucket list course in this state would be to most people. I think Sawgrass and Bay Hill would get a lot of attention from people outside the state but I would still have to believe it would be Seminole. I have played Calusa Pines which in #3 in FL on the Golf Digest list a few times but I don't think anyone not in south FL would know what it is.

[quote name='gr00vetech' timestamp='1392950224' post='8712667']
i'm in Florida and not even sure what THE bucket list course in this state would be to most people. I think Sawgrass and Bay Hill would get a lot of attention from people outside the state but I would still have to believe it would be Seminole. I have played Calusa Pines which in #3 in FL on the Golf Digest list a few times but I don't think anyone not in south FL would know what it is.
[/quote]

I didn't know what Calusa Pines was a week before I played there.

Seminole is definitely the top bucket list course for Florida. Anybody with $400 can play Sawgrass

[sign here]

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1392050544' post='8636835']
Ironically, I've played more of the top 10, as ranked by Golf Digest, in Wisconsin than Illinois. None of the top 10 courses in IL are public while at least 7 in Wisconsin are. On the public side, of the top 15 in IL, I've been lucky enough to play 11 of 15 and we've already scheduled a trip to play Weaver Ridge in Peoria.
[/quote]

+1...I've played most of the top 10 PUBLICs....only a few of the privates. Chicago Golf or Medinah would be the #1 Bucket List course (or Rich Harvest Farms?) - and I haven't made it close to any of them yet.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

I've played quite a few of the premiere courses around Indiana, but with all the maintenance they all seem to do every year I've stopped traveling around as much. I got tired of going to a course and it being different each time I played.

Covert 1.0 (RIP Alpha X)
i25 15*
913H 21 Tour Green Stiff
714 CB 4-PW
50, 56, 60 MD2
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.6
<a href="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1004543-obon18s-witb" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>

In Oregon, the top 5 bucket list courses are undeniable:

1. Bandon Dunes (public)
2. Pacific Dunes (public)
3. Bandon Trails (public)
4. Old MacDonald (public)
5. Eugene Country Club (private)

There are probably 10 courses that could qualify for the next 5.

6. Portland Golf Club (private)
7. Waverley (private)
8/9. Pumpkin Ridge (private/public)
10/11. The Reserve (private/public)
12/13. Pronghorn (private/public)
14. Brasada Ranch (public?)
15 Tetherow (public?)

Are 6 thru 15 all "bucket list" worthy? Probably not, but a few are.

I have played 1 thru 11....

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

I'm not sure what would be the bucket list in Texas. I'd guess Colonial and Champions, but beyond that I do t really know. Whispering Pines and Dallas National are highly rated, but I don't know how desired they would be. I've played Colonial and Whispering Pines and have been invited to play the other two but timing didn't work.

I tend to like older courses with some history. Not many in Texas have that while also being great courses. On the other hand, there are some hard scrabble munis that have a ton of history.

One course that was on my bucket list was Glen Garden where Hogan and Nelson were caddies. Crappy course, but is enjoyed it.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1392744158' post='8694503']
[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1392615321' post='8684609']
I've been thinking about this and came to the realization that Arizona is so overrated when it comes to golf. We have a lot of good courses here but none that I would hope that'd be on someone's bucket list.
[/quote]

If you're from an area of the country with green, parkland style courses, the beauty of the desert courses is something unique. I would definitely put Dove Mountain and the two We Ko Pa courses on a bucket list. The courses are not lined with houses, and are truly desert courses with fantastic views.
[/quote]
Yea I could definitely see someone having Dove Mountain on their bucket list course now. The course is just phenomenal, my favorite in Arizona by far. It's just really, really hard.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1392999418' post='8715706']
I've been thinking about this and came to the realization that Arizona is so overrated when it comes to golf. We have a lot of good courses here but none that I would hope that'd be on someone's bucket list.
[/quote]

If you're from an area of the country with green, parkland style courses, the beauty of the desert courses is something unique. I would definitely put Dove Mountain and the two We Ko Pa courses on a bucket list. The courses are not lined with houses, and are truly desert courses with fantastic views.
[/quote]
Yea I could definitely see someone having Dove Mountain on their bucket list course now. The course is just phenomenal, my favorite in Arizona by far. It's just really, really hard.
[/quote]

Yup. Nice views of the surrounding mountains/hills? Check. No houses lining the course? Check. Crazy, almost too crazy, greens? False fronts, chipping areas? Check. Jack's typical punishing fairway bunkers? Double check.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1393018561' post='8717718']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yup. Nice views of the surrounding mountains/hills? Check. No houses lining the course? Check. Crazy, almost too crazy, greens? False fronts, chipping areas? Check. Jack's typical punishing fairway bunkers? Double check.
[/quote]
I love the course but I've never ever some so close to wanting to snap my damn putter and wedges over my knee in my life. So frustrating if you are not hitting greens.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1393050869' post='8720784']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1393018561' post='8717718']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I love the course but I've never ever some so close to wanting to snap my damn putter and wedges over my knee in my life. So frustrating if you are not hitting greens.
[/quote]

Lol. Do you mean hitting greens, or staying on the greens. I hit a lot of "green", only to see the ball roll off the back, front, and sides. :-)

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

--kC
[/quote]

[/quote]

The bucket list in Michigan HAS to include Arcadia and Crystal Downs, without question. Oakland Hills is an obvious top 5, too. I would put Indianwood and Detroit Golf Club up there, at least in the metro Detroit area. Two great courses!

[quote name='TooMuchAwesome' timestamp='1393090192' post='8722444']

--kC
[/quote]

[/quote]

The bucket list in Michigan HAS to include Arcadia and Crystal Downs, without question. Oakland Hills is an obvious top 5, too. I would put Indianwood and Detroit Golf Club up there, at least in the metro Detroit area. Two great courses!
[/quote]

I totally agree. I'd do a whole lot to play Crystal Downs. I just haven't had the opportunity to play them.

I have played some of the better courses in Michigan including Kingsley Club, Oakland Hills, Lost Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, Tullymore, Bay harbor, and Black Lake. As for privates in Mich I'm hopeful to play Pointe O Woods, Dunes Club and Indianwood this upcoming season. Crystal Downs is a dream and hopefully someday I have a chance to experience it.

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I have played the top 25 public in Minnesota according to the magazines. Not interested in playing privates. My favorites were The Wilderness, Quarry, Dacotah Ridge and the Classic at Maddens.

Now I started playing the top in Iowa. So far my favorite, and my favorite Midwest course, is The Harvester.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

My Michigan bucket list:
Crystal Downs. ( played here half a dozen times)
Franklin Hills. ( not yet played and no clear road to,play)
Oakland Hills. ( will play in 14')
Country Club of Detroit ( might play in 14'
Kingsley Club. ( member)
Forest Dunes. (Member)
Arcadia Bluffs. ( half dozen )
Bay Harbor Links/Quarry ( 3 times)

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='CowtownTexas' timestamp='1392990958' post='8714956']
I'm not sure what would be the bucket list in Texas. I'd guess Colonial and Champions, but beyond that I do t really know. Whispering Pines and Dallas National are highly rated, but I don't know how desired they would be. I've played Colonial and Whispering Pines and have been invited to play the other two but timing didn't work.

I tend to like older courses with some history. Not many in Texas have that while also being great courses. On the other hand, there are some hard scrabble munis that have a ton of history.

One course that was on my bucket list was Glen Garden where Hogan and Nelson were caddies. Crappy course, but is enjoyed it.
[/quote]

Agreed, not really sure what the Bucket List courses are in Texas. I'd definitely put Champions Cypress Creek and Whispering Pines on there which I've played numerous times. I'd also add Colonial for sure (never played there) and maybe Shady Oaks (also never played). Texas doesn't have many "greats" in my opinion but a lot of "really good" courses.