2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Have you played your home state's "Bucket List" course

All public courses, I do not even think about private courses (do not roll in that set of golfers). Albeit I have played the Old Course at Indianwod in an outing.

Played:
Forest Dunes (x1) - magnificent
Timberstone, Greywalls, Sweetgrass (all in the UP) - two years ago on a UP trip. All outstanding.
All the Garland courses at least 1x
All Boyne and Boyne Highlands courses at least 1x - Mountain course 8+
Black Lake (x1)- wow, what a track.
Black Forest (6+)
Shepards Hollow (x1) - nearby, but way overrated.
Tribute (x3) - fantastic, way underrated.
Manistee National (x2)

Yet to play:
Aracadia Bluffs - #1 on my list and booked to play late July.
Tullymore/St.Ives - just never have got around to it.
Hawk Hollow - need to play some other course in the Lansing area other than Forest Akers West (MSU).
Bay Harbor - only after playing the Bluffs.
True North - believe they are now private. Heard its difficult to get on.

Crystal Downs - nigh on impossible to get on, BUT, I know somebody who knows somebody that may have a connection to get us on in Oct. You never know!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have our list of bucket list courses, many of which probably aren't going to happen, at least in my lifetime. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to play Pebble one day, but I'm not holding my breathe about Pine Valley, St. Andrews, Pacific Dunes, and many more.

Wondering, every state has at least one or two courses that are probably private or expensive courses but you would absolutely love to play at some point in your golf lifetime. How many of you have played your home states top course or most desirable course...which is often arguable which course this is. Little tougher for those of you living in great golf course states, but I'll start with Indiana. I haven't played it, but hopefully one day I'll get the chance...

French Lick - Pete Dye course http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/french-lick-resort-dye-course/

FLDye111213.jpg

Yup, looks about right. :-) 'Great course, albeit quite pricey. It's definitely worth at least one visit. I was there last May, and had a package that included 1 night lodging, and unlimited golf on the two courses. I managed to get in two rounds on the Dye course the 2nd day. The Ross course is also a tough old beast, with 3 200+ yard par 3's.

20130525_104727.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1392075795' post='8639917']
All public courses, I do not even think about private courses (do not roll in that set of golfers). Albeit I have played the Old Course at Indianwod in an outing.

Played:
Forest Dunes (x1) - magnificent
Timberstone, Greywalls, Sweetgrass (all in the UP) - two years ago on a UP trip. All outstanding.
All the Garland courses at least 1x
All Boyne and Boyne Highlands courses at least 1x - Mountain course 8+
Black Lake (x1)- wow, what a track.
Black Forest (6+)
Shepards Hollow (x1) - nearby, but way overrated.
Tribute (x3) - fantastic, way underrated.
Manistee National (x2)

Yet to play:
Aracadia Bluffs - #1 on my list and booked to play late July.
Tullymore/St.Ives - just never have got around to it.
Hawk Hollow - need to play some other course in the Lansing area other than Forest Akers West (MSU).
Bay Harbor - only after playing the Bluffs.
True North - believe they are now private. Heard its difficult to get on.

Crystal Downs - nigh on impossible to get on, BUT, I know somebody who knows somebody that may have a connection to get us on in Oct. You never know!
[/quote]

Nice list. I made one trip from Chicago to the Traverse Bay area, and hit Arcadia Bluffs (very nice, but a bit "cartoonish"), Bay Harbor (excellent!), several of the Boyne course, True North (before they went private - best course of the week by far), Treetops Masterpiece (excellent), and Tullymore on the return trip (will definitely go back).

Upper Michigan golf is the cat's meow. I love rolling terrain, pine trees, and lake views. I definitely need to get back soon.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I'm in Pennsylvania, and I've played Oakmont countless times, and the course that hosts the Champions Tour event, Fox Chapel. I've played a lot of the other top courses in the Western part of the state that are nice but may not be known to someone who's not a native (Allegheny CC, Pittsburgh Field Club, The Club at Nevilewood) and the nicest public courses nearby are Olde Stonewall and Cranberry Highlands.

I really want to make it out to the central and eastern part of the state and play some of those big ones too! (Merion, Arnonimik, Saucon Valley, Laurel Valley)

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

While I lived in Ohio, I did get to play Muirfield Village and Brookside in central Ohio. Never played Canterbury, The Golf Club, Double Eagle, or Scioto.

While I lived in South Carolina, I did play The Ocean Course once. I am not certain what other clubs would go on a South Carolina bucket list -- maybe Secession? Harbor Town is one I've always wanted to play and haven't gotten to just yet.

While I lived in Georgia, the nicest club I played was The Country Club of Columbus. Lovely old-school place. Never got on Augusta National or Peachtree. I actually know more people who have gotten to play Augusta than Peachtree!

Since relocating to Florida, nothing exciting as of yet. Biggest of the bucket Florida courses has to be Seminole, I'd think.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I grew up in Fort Worth and I finally got to play the Colonial CC course a couple years ago. I'd walked the course many many times while attending the Colonial PGA tournament, & I was thrilled to get to play it. It was not in very good shape, after barely surviving a particularly hot summer, so there were some greens that had seen better days. But it's a different course "inside" the ropes. :D

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1392050544' post='8636835']
Ironically, I've played more of the top 10, as ranked by Golf Digest, in Wisconsin than Illinois. None of the top 10 courses in IL are public while at least 7 in Wisconsin are. On the public side, of the top 15 in IL, I've been lucky enough to play 11 of 15 and we've already scheduled a trip to play Weaver Ridge in Peoria.
[/quote]

Weaver is pretty good, I would like to get down there and play it again. Rough was brutal as they had just gotten a lot of rain, but fun layout in general.
If you are expecting Deer Run conditioning you will be disappointed.

Illinois is a dreamers state for golf course lovers without real connections! We are lucky with so much Great Public golf close to home though.

Last year I checked off Dubs (really enjoyed it, don't get the hate) and Kemper Lakes (demanding off the tee).

Highlands of Elgin and Bowes Creek are my go to courses, a blast to play.

Aside from the sink hole issues does anyone have opinions on Annabriar near St. Louis, its on my list....

[quote name='lordbyron' timestamp='1392135326' post='8644261']
Ironically, I've played more of the top 10, as ranked by Golf Digest, in Wisconsin than Illinois. None of the top 10 courses in IL are public while at least 7 in Wisconsin are. On the public side, of the top 15 in IL, I've been lucky enough to play 11 of 15 and we've already scheduled a trip to play Weaver Ridge in Peoria.
[/quote]

Weaver is pretty good, I would like to get down there and play it again. Rough was brutal as they had just gotten a lot of rain, but fun layout in general.

Illinois is a dreamers state for golf course lovers without real connections! We are lucky with so much Great Public golf close to home though.

Last year I checked off Dubs (really enjoyed it, don't get the hate) and Kemper Lakes (demanding off the tee).

Aside from the sink hole issues does anyone have opinions on Annabriar near St. Louis, its on my list....
[/quote]

A dreamer's state? Yeah, a bad dream. :-) We're bankrupt, jobs are fleeing the state, taxes are going through the roof, red light cameras are popping up like wild mushrooms, the weather has turned to sh*t (Chiberia), the expressways are basically parking lots for nearly 18 hours a day, and worst of all, only [b]3 [/b]of the top 25 courses in the state are open to the public! Ahhh!

Have you played Blackstone in Marengo? They have the fastest greens I've played in the area. 'Sweet.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1392136190' post='8644345']
[/quote]

[/quote]

A dreamer's state? Yeah, a bad dream. :-) We're bankrupt, jobs are fleeing the state, taxes are going through the roof, red light cameras are popping up like wild mushrooms, the weather has turned to sh*t (Chiberia), the expressways are basically parking lots for nearly 18 hours a day, and worst of all, only [b]3 [/b]of the top 25 courses in the state are open to the public! Ahhh!

Have you played Blackstone in Marengo? They have the fastest greens I've played in the area. 'Sweet.
[/quote]

Exactally what I meant...most of us can only dream of playing the best their is to offer in our state.

Blackstone is awesome. Not just fast greens, but really good too. I played from the back tees and the par threes were brutal! I would play up a set next time out there.

Have you played Aldeen in rockford...very good greens as well, and great value.

[/quote]

What about Prairie Landing? Those 3 courses seem to make out a great triangle of courses in the area. Although I must say when I played PL this summer I didn't like it as much as I did the previous year, seemed to be too many holes for my liking where you couldn't hit driver. Didn't get out to Bowes this past year, but loved it the year before. Finally got out to Highlands this past year and really liked it.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1392137575' post='8644471']

[/quote]

What about Prairie Landing? Those 3 courses seem to make out a great triangle of courses in the area. Although I must say when I played PL this summer I didn't like it as much as I did the previous year, seemed to be too many holes for my liking where you couldn't hit driver. Didn't get out to Bowes this past year, but loved it the year before. Finally got out to Highlands this past year and really liked it.
[/quote]

For me I find Highlands more interesting (fun) to play, far more options off the tee. I can also play Highlands twice for the price of PL once. Bowes was great near the end of last season, very fast and firm. I didn't play PL last year but usually do and usually find it fairly soft, but very well kept.

[quote name='lordbyron' timestamp='1392137479' post='8644461']

Exactally what I meant...most of us can only dream of playing the best their is to offer in our state.

Blackstone is awesome. Not just fast greens, but really good too. I played from the back tees and the par threes were brutal! I would play up a set next time out there.

Have you played Aldeen in rockford...very good greens as well, and great value.
[/quote]

Yes, I played Aldeen a few years ago on the way to Galena. I enjoyed the round, but I thought the course was too narrow, especially the front 9. If you get the ball offline, there are way too many low hanging trees for my liking. The conditioning of the fairways was so-so, but for the price, I guess I shouldn't complain. It's definitely a good value, and should be checked out if you're in the area.

[/quote]

[/quote]

PL is a great course. 'Definitely not a bomber's course. Even though it's designed by Robert Trent Jones II, it plays like a Pete Dye course in many ways, as you really have to position the ball for your approach shots. There are a handful of risk-reward holes that will get you into trouble. On top of that, I'd have to say it has one of the best practice facilities in the area, with 2 short par 4's, and a short game area. You can't beat warming up by playing 2 holes before going to the first tee. 'Sure beats pounding balls on the range.

I live downtown, so the trip to PL, HoE, and BC is a bit of a trek, especially with the traffic heading back to the city. I'd like to get out to play all of them more often, but time is a factor.

Interesting comments on Bowes Creek. I've only played it once and thought it was good but not great and the conditions were just OK. Love the range/practice area though. Highlands is an awesome course in every regard.

Kind of disappointing to read the comments on Weaver Ridge. While not expecting it to be Deere Run, I was hoping it was at least in the Blackstone/Highlands category.

Back to the OP's original topic, it's damn near depressing to look at the list of top courses in every state, and see that 90% of them are private. For example, I've played 95% of the top public courses in Arizona, including Troon North, Grayhawk, Quintero, Southern Dunes, We Ko Pa, Eagle Mountain, Boulders, Sunridge Canyon, Dove Mountain, Ventana Canyon, Longbow, and had a blast, but the highest rank public course (Troon North) is #20 on Golf Digest's list for best courses in Arizona! Other than winning the lottery, how does your average Joe get out on all these top private courses?

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1392140287' post='8644737']
Interesting comments on Bowes Creek. I've only played it once and thought it was good but not great and the conditions were just OK. Love the range/practice area though. Highlands is an awesome course in every regard.

Kind of disappointing to read the comments on Weaver Ridge. While not expecting it to be Deere Run, I was hoping it was at least in the Blackstone/Highlands category.
[/quote]

Highlands is all kinds of fun and if you are willing to walk it...really good value!
I like Bowes more each time I play it.

I was super excited to play Weaver, maybe built it up too much? The service was excellent, very much a family business and you could tell. That being said it was a very good layout and I would be interested to hear for someone who has played several rounds there.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1392140287' post='8644737']

[/quote]

I wouldn't say it wasn't in the same category as Blackstone or Highlands. If I recall correctly, I played it during one of our bad summers a few years ago, and pretty much every course in the state was suffering. I did like the layout, and of course conditions can and do vary from year to year. Either that, or it was the speeding ticket I got near Peoria on the way to the course that soured my mood. :-) If you go, be careful on I-74 between Bloomington and Peoria. There's a state trooper with laser that sits in the rest area near milepost 115. :-(

Regarding playing private courses, here's a Forbes article talking about playing these courses as part of charitable events:

[url="http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/06/06/10-best-private-golf-courses-you-can-play-in-2012-part-2/"]http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/06/06/10-best-private-golf-courses-you-can-play-in-2012-part-2/[/url]

I have no personal experience with this, but it does seem like a big "win/win."

I live in South Carolina and was able to play the Ocean Course the Saturday after the PGA Championship was held there. Awesome experience and easily the most difficult course I have played (played it from the tips). Hope to play Harbour Town one day soon as it is also on my personal "bucket list."

Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.

[quote name='luck box' timestamp='1392051442' post='8636929']
My home state's (NJ) bucket list is too ridiculous at this time. I'll have to find a way to be a billionaire celebrity to get on the first two.

1. Pine Valley
2. Liberty National
3. Baltusrol
[/quote]

I've been on the upper and lower at Baltursol but never on Pine Valley or Liberty National. I have some friends that got on at Pine Valley and got me a hat and a ball marker, does that count?

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

I played at Valhalla shortly after the Ryder Cup was there. Hard to believe someone could shoot a 63 there, the course record by Jose Maria Olazabal. The PGA championship will be there again this year. I've also played Olde Stone in Bowling Green, Ky., not sure which one is harder!

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1392140866' post='8644803']
Back to the OP's original topic, it's damn near depressing to look at the list of top courses in every state, and see that 90% of them are private. For example, I've played 95% of the top public courses in Arizona, including Troon North, Grayhawk, Quintero, Southern Dunes, We Ko Pa, Eagle Mountain, Boulders, Sunridge Canyon, Dove Mountain, Ventana Canyon, Longbow, and had a blast, but the highest rank public course (Troon North) is #20 on Golf Digest's list for best courses in Arizona! Other than winning the lottery, how does your average Joe get out on all these top private courses?
[/quote]

As it was mentioned above, you can play lots of them in charity events. Playing in your state's golf tournaments can get you on to many of them. In addition, lots of states have a laid back traveling golf tour that play many private clubs (primarily on Mondays).

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1392139785' post='8644689']

[/quote]

[/quote]

PL is a great course. 'Definitely not a bomber's course. Even though it's designed by Robert Trent Jones II, it plays like a Pete Dye course in many ways, as you really have to position the ball for your approach shots. There are a handful of risk-reward holes that will get you into trouble. On top of that, I'd have to say it has one of the best practice facilities in the area, with 2 short par 4's, and a short game area. You can't beat warming up by playing 2 holes before going to the first tee. 'Sure beats pounding balls on the range.

I live downtown, so the trip to PL, HoE, and BC is a bit of a trek, especially with the traffic heading back to the city. I'd like to get out to play all of them more often, but time is a factor.
[/quote]

yea I live on the north side and going out there is definitely every bit of an hour drive without traffic. But, I like the member for a day deal at Bowes so if you've got all day to kill you could head out there early, play 36, grab some dinner and come home at 8:00 after all the traffic has died down.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1392149426' post='8645967']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1392139785' post='8644689']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yea I live on the north side and going out there is definitely every bit of an hour drive without traffic. But, I like the member for a day deal at Bowes so if you've got all day to kill you could head out there early, play 36, grab some dinner and come home at 8:00 after all the traffic has died down.
[/quote]

Lol. Yeah, it's that "head out early" thing that's the killer. :-) 'Probably explains why I book last minute rounds in the late morning at Harborside.

Lived in Ohio, played Firestone South.

Live in California. Have played Riviera CC, Sherwood CC, Torrey Pines, PGA West and Trump National LA. Still a few to go...*cough Pebble cough*.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Ohio has a lot of bucket list courses in terms of Top 100 US courses. Widdling it down to just Columbus, I consider 4 of them the 'Big 4'. Those are the 4 courses which are top 100 US courses in the city. I have played 3 of the 4. They are:

Muirfield Village (Played a handful of times and used to Caddy there)
Scioto Country Club (Played once)
Double Eagle (Played twice)
The Golf Club (still on my bucket list)

Outside of Columbus I would still love to play Firestone South, Camargo Club and Inverness Club

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='luck box' timestamp='1392051442' post='8636929']
My home state's (NJ) bucket list is too ridiculous at this time. I'll have to find a way to be a billionaire celebrity to get on the first two.

1. Pine Valley
2. Liberty National
3. Baltusrol
[/quote]

Yup.

My dad has a couple friends who are members at Baltusrol but he's never been asked to play there with them(he would never ask) so obviously I haven't.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

There is not even a course in my state that is 'bucket list' worthy according to the magazine ratings. I have played all but one of the ten best in our state and 5 of the top 10 are WAY overrated. I am going to play the final one of the top 10 this summer (Golf Club of New England). I hope it lives up to expectations.