Why No Love for the Matrix White Tie?

OspreyCI

Matrix makes awesome shafts and they advertise the White Tie as High Launch and Low Spin, but I don't see much love here for it. Yes, I have used the search feature and still don't see the acknowledgment that the GD AD DI shafts get. These would seem to compare to the AD DI as the specs show.

I have not hit one yet, but REALLY want to. Are they not what they advertise? Are they not worth hyping up or even using?

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1396064081' post='8972975']
Matrix makes awesome shafts and they advertise the White Tie as High Launch and Low Spin, but I don't see much love here for it. Yes, I have used the search feature and still don't see the acknowledgment that the GD AD DI shafts get. These would seem to compare to the AD DI as the specs show.

I have not hit one yet, but REALLY want to. Are they not what they advertise? Are they not worth hyping up or even using?
[/quote]

I just epoxied my new 8x3 tonight. It's in my old 910 3 wood.
As soon as I get a chance to hit it (indoor range only) I'll post back with some initial findings.

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

I recently watched an interview with the Oban tour rep where he talked about the Kiyoshi Purple being high launch low spin. He said obviously that's impossible to have but what they found is that shafts that had similar launch had more spin, so hence the high launch low spin phrase. I bet matrix had similar findings with the white tie. Shafts with similar launch produced more spin than the white tie.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1396070455' post='8973365']
Interesting ^^^^
[/quote]

Indeed it's all relative. It still could produce too much spin for you but who knows! Here's another fun fact from that Oban interview. Did you know that the Kiyoshi White shafts are entirely different bend profiles in different weight ranges? They're not what's called a family of shafts because of the staggeringly different profiles

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

I was just about to post a similar thread when I decided I would try a little better search than I had done in the past. The interesting thing to me is the Wishon software shows the WT to be stiffer overall than the DI. Much different findings with those EI bend profile graphs as well.

Does anyone have actual numbers to compare the two???

I have played both....WT in the 5 Series in R flex and my gamer is a GD DI 6 in S flex.

Great flat trajectory and the R never felt to soft for my 98 SS, but since the two shafts were in two different heads, it would be hard to really compare as I never once said go myself that it reminded me of my DI.

I just checked the weight between the two and the DI was 123 grams (with sleeve and grip) and the WT was 121 grams. The one I have (a friends) seemed counter balanced to me because it lowered the SW of a heavier head and it just hit me that it has an Orange TM 360 grip on it which might be a 59 gram grip as I removed one of these before and that is what it weighed out at.

I watch these on ebay and the fetch a solid $ amount consistently.

I own the AD and the WT and find the WT to be much stiffer feeling than the AD both are stiff flex. Personally I much prefer the feel of the AD but I am only swinging my driver around 100-102.

Callaway 816 DBD 9 w/Tour AD TP 6S
XHOT2 4W w/Tour Green 75S
Xhot 2 PRO 23 hybrid w/AD DI 95S
Apex 20 hybrid with AD Di 95S
MP18 Fli Hi 2 iron w AD DI 95S
MP18 SC 5 and 6 iron with PXLZ 6.0
MP18 PW-7 irons with PXLZ 6.0
S18 Wedges 52 and 58 Gunmetal with PXLZ 6.0
Bettinardi QB6 putter

The Xcon6 and White tie are my favorite shafts of all time....i just won't spend the money to play them

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just how similar is the White Tie to the GD AD series? Anyone have the bend profiles to compare?

I have the White Tie 6x3 stiff in my back up driver and have been wanting to try the AD DI. I find the White Tie to be high launch, mid spin, with not too much roll out. And you have to put a smooth swing on it, as it can get whippy. Been actually looking to try an x stiff at a reasonable price, so far no dice

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

[quote name='chuck12' timestamp='1396107887' post='8974649']
Just how similar is the White Tie to the GD AD series? Anyone have the bend profiles to compare?

I have the White Tie 6x3 stiff in my back up driver and have been wanting to try the AD DI. I find the White Tie to be high launch, mid spin, with not too much roll out. And you have to put a smooth swing on it, as it can get whippy. Been actually looking to try an x stiff at a reasonable price, so far no dice
[/quote]
What is your Swing Speed and are you very aggressive?

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

White tie is a wonderful shaft. I played it in a 913d3 (was stamped first run and was told it a little lower ball flight but that could be simple bs). I have plenty of length and the 9.5 set .75 lower and as open as I could get it was a high drive with a touch of fade. I did however suffer from lack of roll with this set up but the 913d3 is not really a low spinning head.

I tried the gd and hit it way to high. The gd bb was a better option for me but stuck with the white tie. I did however get the sldr itch and used the same white tie. This set up was terrible lofting up with this shaft equaled very high drives with almost no roll. Ditched it all and went to a tp7hd older style shaft but love it.

Sorry got a bit side tracked. I liked the white tie over the gd. To me felt smooth even though it was an x. I have a smooth transition (most of the time). I think the driver head you use, loft, and what your trying to get out it play major factors.

Hope this helps

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1396112168' post='8974983']
[quote name='chuck12' timestamp='1396107887' post='8974649']

[/quote]
What is your Swing Speed and are you very aggressive?
[/quote]

I avg 105 -110. I like to think I have a smooth tempo too

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

With my SLDR 430 12* I am getting 14.5* LA with 1800 spin at 105 ss. Shaft is a GD MT6x but ball speed isn't great at 140. Club is 44.75".

Lookibg to try a white tie 5 in stiff to raise launch further and get a little more ball speed without increasing spin.

Also hoping the stiff versus x will raise club head and ball speed?

Have an Altus LT in my R11S in strong that maybe a better option for SLDR?

What do you think?

I know it's not as low spin as sldr but any opinions on WT in a CT2.0?

This is what I've found so far, all are for a 6X gram model stiff flex:
ADDI: 179/200/233/279/352/486/843 Wishon
6/5/4/7 miyazaki intl flex code
WT: 175/201/237/291/378/528/874
5/3/5/4

So you can see these are quite different shafts and each of the two measuring methods don't really jive together. EI bend profiles appear similar excerpt at the tip, the DI appears to be stiffer, otherwise the slopes are very similar.

[quote name='Ray Jackson' timestamp='1396121031' post='8975697']
With my SLDR 430 12* I am getting 14.5* LA with 1800 spin at 105 ss. Shaft is a GD MT6x but ball speed isn't great at 140. Club is 44.75".

Lookibg to try a white tie 5 in stiff to raise launch further and get a little more ball speed without increasing spin.

What do you think?
[/quote]

Some very nice numbers till Ball speed. A shaft should not be your first concern. Normal ball speed for 105 is 154 and your at 140....something is really wrong.
Check the head, have someone else with your swing speed hit shots to see if his is around 152-156 range. You try a different type of driver that is one of the latest like the SLDR 430.

With that LA (14.5 ) and that Spin (1800) and your SS (105) that should be better numbers then this Trackman Chart shows!

[attachment=2147011:image.jpg]

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396130241' post='8976591']

What do you think?
[/quote]

Some very nice numbers till Ball speed. A shaft should not be your first concern. Normal ball speed for 105 is 154 and your at 140....something is really wrong.
Check the head, have someone else with your swing speed hit shots to see if his is around 152-156 range. You try a different type of driver that is one of the latest like the SLDR 430.

With that LA (14.5 ) and that Spin (1800) and your SS (105) that should be better numbers then this Trackman Chart shows!

[/quote]

Yeah something was really wrong as I was getting 250 yds carry, which made me look at the ball speed numbers. Okay will check out the head. Thanks. Funny thing was a few of them with the SLDR and my MT6 made it out to 300 with a lot of roll, however I would like more carry.

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1396070093' post='8973341']
I recently watched an interview with the Oban tour rep where he talked about the Kiyoshi Purple being high launch low spin. He said obviously that's impossible to have but what they found is that shafts that had similar launch had more spin, so hence the high launch low spin phrase. I bet matrix had similar findings with the white tie. Shafts with similar launch produced more spin than the white tie.
[/quote]

Exactly.

Alright, just got back from hitting some balls at the dome. I got to try out my new 8X3 that I installed in a 910 F 13.5* head.
I'm usually between stiff and x-stiff and usually play the stiff and tip the shaft. So in this case I went with 1.25" tip and butt cut to 43".
The set up feels great. I was looking for something with a solid feel and this definately does. It's not totally stout but play stiffer compared to others, mainly my Devo 8 04.
Flight is nice, launches higher than the Devo but as far as can tell, it won't balloon and is more penetrating than anything else.
Spin seems to be more mid than low, lower than an AD DI.
You can really feel the shaft kick, like a pop, at impact and if you don't commit to a swing, you can end up with some leakers to the right. But put a good release on it and that's where it's money! But for me, it required a little more effort on the release to get it to go.
All in all, I can't wait to get this club on the course and give it a real go! But my initial impressions are good.
My 2 cents!

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

[quote name='Ray Jackson' timestamp='1396132491' post='8976811']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396130241' post='8976591']

What do you think?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah something was really wrong as I was getting 250 yds carry, which made me look at the ball speed numbers. Okay will check out the head. Thanks. Funny thing was a few of them with the SLDR and my MT6 made it out to 300 with a lot of roll, however I would like more carry.
[/quote]

Okay had my Taylormde 'made for' Xcon 7 installed with an SLDR tip and its a stiff versus the above MT6 x flex. Swing speed was around 103 - 105 and I was getting ball speed of 150 to 152 with a smooth swing. Got the launch upto 16* and the spin didn't get above 2000 on any swings......I think we have found our combo.
Got some carry numbers north of 275 and quite a few over 300 total yards. This head is so darn solid.

I've got a Black Tie and a White Tie, both stiff flex. In my Cobra Amp Cell head the Black Tie is 15-20 yards longer than the White Tie. The White Tie was shorter even with lowing the head's loft to 8.5° and 9.5°. The Amp Cell is a mid spin head and I can assume the Black Tie was controlling spin better than the White Tie.

I recently bought a 9° Callaway BB Alpha and tonight I am changing the Cobra tip to a Callaway tip on the White Tie. The BBA is a low spin head and hopefully the higher launching (and slightly higher spinning) White Tie will be a good match.

Several years ago I had a 9° Callaway FT-5 I-mix with a stiff Xcon 6 that was awesome for me. It was probably the best or 2nd best driver I have had over the past 10 years. Being the driver and shaft ho I am, I stupidly sold the shaft but I still have the head. I hope the newer BBA and the White Tie will produce better results.

Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/ Aldila Rouge Max 65S
Callaway BB 815 3-wood 14° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 665X
Callaway BB 815 hybrid 18° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder 865X
Titleist T-MB 3 & 4 irons w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW w/ DG AMT Tour Issue X100
Titleist SM6 52.08 and 58.04 w/ DG AMT Tour IssueX100
SC Select Newport 35" w/ Super Stroke Pistol GT
Bushnell Tour X / Garmin G8

• 4 years later...