2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf is dying: "lost 5 million players in the last decade... another 5 million will quit in the next

Yellow Jacket

The problem with chasing the youth is every other activity/ industry out there is also chasing youth. And , touching on an excellent point above, most young people do not want to do things that take an inordinate amount of time to get good at.

Biking/hiking/running/ birdwatching/boogie boarding/ziplineing, all do not take much time to learn how to do , if any. You can just do it.

All time oriented activities are seeing declines in participation as well as fraternal/charitble organizations which also require time and commitment.

Time seems to be the issue but I do not want to change the game of golf . Foot golf is not golf. 2 foot wide cups are not golf.J ust my opinion of course.

Not sure of a cure for all this, maybe there isn't. Would not bother me to see less golfers. Could it lead to being more expensive?, maybe. I am sure "they" will say it will. But most industries today make things cost more if it's popular. Not less.

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing it locally in So. Calif. Lots of courses that used to be really busy on weekends are not anymore. Most courses have plenty of tee times on Saturdays and Sundays. They're not booked up into twilight anymore, discounted tee times are readily available on Golfnow.com and Golfzing.com etc, the courses aren't crowded like it used to be, I see less and less younger golfers (20's to 30's), most golfers seem to be over 50 years old nowadays etc etc. So yes I believe golf overall is on a decline in the US but it seems to be very strong in other parts of the world.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I think Golf experienced the "tiger boom" over the last 15 years so our current numbers might be inflated. But i don't really think most of the "casual golf fans" really add that much to the golf market anyway. It's the guys that play 2-4 times a month that really matter. I don't think any of them are going to quit the game cuz of the economy. They may not buy that new driver every year....but they're still out there.

[quote name='texchad12' timestamp='1401899234' post='9429221']
I think Golf experienced the "tiger boom" over the last 15 years so our current numbers might be inflated. But i don't really think most of the "casual golf fans" really add that much to the golf market anyway. It's the guys that play 2-4 times a month that really matter. I don't think any of them are going to quit the game cuz of the economy. They may not buy that new driver every year....but they're still out there.
[/quote]

I remember reading an article that stated that Tiger did not really bring that many to the game.

Its just like all the equipment advances have not lowered the average handicap at all over the past 10 years.

I know that there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Also, that you can make stats say whatever you want. but, I would be curious to see an unbiased survey done to see what was the main cause of individual picking up the game in say the last 15 years and why they left the game in the same time span.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Golf is shrinking from the amount of participants. However, from a spectator point of view, professional golf seems to be doing just fine. They have way more players that want to be on the PGA tour than they have spots for. There are lots of veteran PGA tour pros that have difficulty finding a place to play. The ability to play on a professional tour is getting tougher and tougher. Money on PGA tour is still growing.

I can say without a doubt that the courses I've been frequenting for that last 15 yrs are less crowded. There are no more 5.5 hour rounds and tee times are readily available on Sat and Sun.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1402271013' post='9455603']
I can say without a doubt that the courses I've been frequenting for that last 15 yrs are less crowded. There are no more 5.5 hour rounds and tee times are readily available on Sat and Sun.
[/quote]To me, that's good. Except for the one's who have obligations at home, I think there are more people who are more golf purists then those who golf for the fad aura of it. I was up north Michigan to Treetops resort and that place was jam packed on a thursday. We had to wait til just before our tee off time to get a cart because they ran out of them due to the crowds of golfers.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1401281068' post='9380825']Have any of you quit playing due to money? Do you personally know anyone that quit playing due to money? I don't, and I know people who've been out of work that kept playing.

I have another very expensive expensive hobby, down hill skiing, and all I can say is the mountains are full.

So by my observations "if" golf numbers are down, which I take with a grain of salt, it has little to do with any economic factors. Maybe the high priced resort courses and low to mid range private clubs are impacted more, but I'm guessing that golfer's are just being more price conscious and taking their game elsewhere.[/quote]

In the Toronto area you cannot play a decent 18 hole round for less than 50$. And that's a "decent" track not good. I have had buddies quit on round many times because we couldn't find a decent deal. So yea we are in our 20s and sometimes the game is truly too expensive. They won't quit the game totally but they will play half the rounds.... At least.

Golf courses are constantly being lengthened, as club committees imagine this is the way to go, but when 99% of the members cannot reach 70% of the par 4s in two shots, it is time to retrench and start again.
My club had 750 members ten years ago, but in the interim, 7 of the par 4s were lengthened and now are out of reach of 99% of the members in two shots. We now have 401 members----and I am certain it has nothing to do with the world slump.

Professionalism has ruined the game, with pros being paid millions to use a certain manufacturer's clubs, thus making those clubs immensely expensive-----they need to stop paying for endorsements. I use a set of Scottish made Kane blade irons, with the finest components available and which cost $400 fitted, because Andy Kane will not pay pros to use his (magnificent) clubs.

Simple fact - Golf is an agrarian game being playing by a technological society, same as baseball. Golf is too hard to get good at, takes too many resources, takes too much time and money.

I've been saying for 20 years that every Tom, Dick and Harry with $20M to burn thought (prior to 2008) it was a great idea to build a "championship caliber" golf course. 7200+ yards, water and trees everywhere, OB everywhere, peninsula greens, 200+ yard forced carries, 3" bluegrass rough where you can lose your ball, 135+ slope rating and most of these courses will never host anything more than some local amateur tournament. They convinced the average male player (for a short while anyways) that it was some kind of macho badge of honor to pay $70+ to not break 100 and lose a half dozen+ balls/round. (I've heard these kind of guys heap praise on these courses after getting the tar beat out of them, as if "hard" = "great"). Between 2009-2011 you couldn't give away these courses for 10% of what they cost to build. One of the only designers that seems to "get it" is Fuzzy Zoeller from what I heard in the Feherty interview.

It is these courses that are hostile to women, juniors, seniors and high handicappers by the nature of their design, regardless of the intent of the owners. Add in the historic hostility of the PGA and private clubs to minorities and it's even worse.

In the mean time, old school courses that were accessible to players of all levels, and inexpensive to maintain, run and play have been plowed under to build sub-divisions and strip malls.

Add in the skyrocketing cost of new equipment and you have a confluence of factors as to why more players are leaving than taking up the game.

The answer isn't 6 hole "rounds," 8" cups or any of that nonsense. The answers to growing the game are much simpler:

More and better junior programs (and junior greens fees) - back in the mid-70's Juniors could get an annual membership at my local muni for $75, which would be $330 in today's dollars (per BLS CPI calculator)
More courses with junior sets of tees (I've seen very few of these in my area)
Chainsaws and bulldozers. (Open up bail out areas, fill in some of those hazards)
Masters length rough.
More affordable high quality beginner and group instruction

Probably a whole bunch of othe simple things too. PGA and USGA asleep at the wheel, IMO.

[quote name='HighlandLaird' timestamp='1402784461' post='9496383']
Golf courses are constantly being lengthened, as club committees imagine this is the way to go, but when 99% of the members cannot reach 70% of the par 4s in two shots, it is time to retrench and start again.
My club had 750 members ten years ago, but in the interim, 7 of the par 4s were lengthened and now are out of reach of 99% of the members in two shots. We now have 401 members----and I am certain it has nothing to do with the world slump.

Professionalism has ruined the game, with pros being paid millions to use a certain manufacturer's clubs, thus making those clubs immensely expensive-----they need to stop paying for endorsements. I use a set of Scottish made Kane blade irons, with the finest components available and which cost $400 fitted, because Andy Kane will not pay pros to use his (magnificent) clubs.
[/quote]

I said something similar. Some people leave the game out of frustration...even the professionals have trouble hitting greens with hybrids/fairway woods. What chance does the amateur have?

My story is a little different since I live in Brazil. Golf will never die, but golf is not growing as fast as it should here. Seems like for every new golfer, there is another quitting. From my personal observations and experiences I submit the following:

1) Golf is too long: I personally feel satisfied by about the 14th hole ( a perfect scenario for me would be front 7, back 7, or just 14 holes.)

2) I am fortunate to play golf any day of the week on an empty course, NO WAY IN HELL Im playing on Saturday or Sunday. I support the growth and a full course on weekends but I dont support the 5 hour rounds when I play in 2.5 during the week. I actually want to go play tomorrow, but know how busy it will be with slow players and high handicapers.

3) Before I left Canada for Brazil, I told my wife that what I loved about golf was the friendship and having a few refreshment with the boys. In the seven years that Ive lived here, my wife has hit balls 1 time! She told me to enjoy my Boys Time.

4) I personally dont like holes that are separated from each other whereas if you hit a slice or a hook, you lose your ball. For me, there is nothing better than finding your ball after a bad shot, and not losing stroke and distance. The old country club where all the holes are parallel or side by side is my favorite kind of course. ( this also goes back to pace of play )

5) Todays new players are learning from what they see on TV. For example, I reffed a Faldo Series tournament last month and one player practiced his putt 3 times on each 45 degree angle before finally getting to his ball. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Luckily for him the course was full and his group stayed connected with the group in front so I couldnt do anything about his slow play. There was also another player who took 77 seconds to make a putt from less than 1 meter ( 3 feet ). THe Pros are playing for Millions of dollars. Amateurs should take no more than 30 seconds to hit any putt.

6) Certain rules are useless. WIth amateur play or weekend golf. Do we really have to get penalized if we didnt take the pin out and holed our ball when it was on the green?

7) This is a great conversation. There are other things affecting golf. However, like many, I dont think it has to do with the golfers but rather large companies trying to get richer and richer. Hardcore golfers will never leave. Last week it rained more in one day here than the monthly June average. The course was washed out, yet people still wanted to play the course.

BTW: not to go away from the early diet conversation: Im overweight and play golf 3-5 times per week.

P.S. We are finishing our course. Its been 18 years in the making. Today we have 13 holes. The idea was to try to get 7000 yards. THe final project will be 6550 yards. Some par 4's are 320 yards while a few others are over 450. There is a 210 yard par 3 and a short 140 yarder. There is a 480 par 5 and a 560. We realized that just about every golfer will be able to use every club in the bag and that the PGA was not coming to our course!

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1398698242' post='9186919']
One thing I see as a potential reason for people leaving the game is the fact that fringe players have almost no shot to get desirable tee times. It doesn't matter if a course is private or not, I bet if you go every Saturday and Sunday between 8 and 10 am you'll see the exact same groups going out. The regulars come in and take over all the good tee times relegating others to the bad times of day. The same goes for twilight. A lot of courses will have the same guys going out at the start of twilight every day.

[/quote]

A local public course did this and it blew up in their face. They had probably 8-10 foursomes that played regularly before 8:30am on weekends. Players of varying abilities, but they all got around in 3:45 or less. They were allowed to have "standing" weekly tee times by the pro. The pro knew that these guys would set a good pace, and could be relied upon to play every single Saturday and Sunday, filling the tee sheet during that time period. Well, someone complained about this practice, and they did away with the standing times. So Joe Sixpack and his buddies start teeing it up at 6:40am, playing in 4:30 and messing up the pace for the rest of the day.

Those 30-40 golfers as a group packed up and left to go play another course that would accommodate them, never to return to the first course. Pace still stinks at that course unless you are one of the first couple groups out at 6:30am.

If you tick off the regulars, you risk losing revenue that is almost guaranteed.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1402795349' post='9497413']
[quote name='HighlandLaird' timestamp='1402784461' post='9496383']

[/quote]

I said something similar. Some people leave the game out of frustration...even the professionals have trouble hitting greens with hybrids/fairway woods. What chance does the amateur have?
[/quote]

OK, what am I missing? Did they remove the red/gold/white tees when they lengthened the course? Who give a sh*t if they lengthened the course. Maybe 5% of the golfers should be playing from the tips. If everyone else continued to play from the same distance, then it's a more-or-less meaningless change.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='cherokee8215' timestamp='1402857317' post='9500437']
A local public course did this and it blew up in their face. They had probably 8-10 foursomes that played regularly before 8:30am on weekends. Players of varying abilities, but they all got around in 3:45 or less. They were allowed to have "standing" weekly tee times by the pro. The pro knew that these guys would set a good pace, and could be relied upon to play every single Saturday and Sunday, filling the tee sheet during that time period. Well, someone complained about this practice, and they did away with the standing times. So Joe Sixpack and his buddies start teeing it up at 6:40am, playing in 4:30 and messing up the pace for the rest of the day.

Those 30-40 golfers as a group packed up and left to go play another course that would accommodate them, never to return to the first course. Pace still stinks at that course unless you are one of the first couple groups out at 6:30am.

If you tick off the regulars, you risk losing revenue that is almost guaranteed.
[/quote]
Conversely, the course I was a member at last year had a smaller, but slightly opposite problem than the one you described. Us members got the 6:00-9:00 am slots reserved, and we usually filled them right up. But we had one group who would grab two tee times, back-to-back, and early every week. And they would act as if they owned the course with their antics.

Some weeks they'd get maybe three guys to show up for the two times - not too big of a deal. But other weeks sometimes they'd get 13-14 guys show up, for two tee times. So they would go out as six-somes (which slowed everyone behind them up). Or if they didn't do that they would turn their two tee slots into 3-4 tee times, which made everyone behind them go off later than they signed up for.

I'm pretty sure people complained, but I'd still see the same behavior from these guys. I did not join that club again this year.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

A couple infographics that help detail why guys play less golf these days.

Average hours 'worked' (working, chores and child care) has risen 5.5 hours per week, which coincidentally is probably close to the median number of hours it takes to play a weekend round of golf after factoring in getting ready, arriving a few minutes early to practice, playing the round and occasionally visiting the 19th hole for a round to settle up, then head home. That's an 11% reduction in free time per week and something has to get cut to make room for it because they haven't added more hours to a day.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1402947879' post='9508305']

Average hours 'worked' (working, chores and child care) has risen 5.5 hours per week, which coincidentally is probably close to the median number of hours it takes to play a weekend round of golf after factoring in getting ready, arriving a few minutes early to practice, playing the round and occasionally visiting the 19th hole for a round to settle up, then head home. That's an 11% reduction in free time per week and something has to get cut to make room for it because they haven't added more hours to a day.
[/quote]

5.5 hours total? If you're lucky. I played at The Arboretum Club on Friday, and it was 8.0 hours door to door, including the 5 hour round, and of course, the 1.5 hour rush hour commute home. Saturday's round at Harborside was a bit better at 6.5 hours door to door.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I agree, golf is in trouble.

I've only been playing for 4.5 years now. Now I know it is summer and I'm in the desert so 100+ degree days are the norm, but the past three rounds in past 3 weeks (during weekday) I have played was like playing in a ghost town. I played five balls off every tee today and not once was caught by even another single! It was not like this when I started 4 years ago even during the summer and weekday's I was waiting many times for shots, with rest of the hardcores out there. Last year was the first my friend and I started to notice more freedom in playing during summer and this year it is the worst I've seen [b]by far[/b]. And to top it off, I played in afternoon on Father's Day and again had course to myself almost with no stress all day.

Plus the range I frequent used to always have 3-7 guys out there with me, again even during summer. Lately it has been me and like 1-2 other guys. Some times they would even have clinics going on in spring time to where I was getting last stall available. This spring they still had them, but not as often AND not as many participants when they did have them. I found out they even had to go do a Groupon thingy to even fill the clinics.

I know this is a good thing to be able to not have to deal with crowds, slow-play, hard to get tee-times, etc. It is awesome to be out on golf course for $25 and basically have it to yourself. But how much longer can it sustain this? This must put HUGE strain on the courses revenue flow. Many are probably operating close to, or at a loss if they are not even able to get a good flow of golfers at $25, at a nice, well maintained and looking course. I don't play weekends ever so can't judge if there is a difference there as well from 4 years ago, but there is a very noticeable decline during the weekdays here this year, for sure.

The US Open TV Ratings were down 46% from last year. The Master's were at an all-time LOW in ratings. No one exciting enough and/or GOOD enough to grab the masses attention so it has become boring watching. The top 5 ranked are inconsistent and have been out of picture by the weekend many times. Or only one of them has been near enough to matter and rest are random players and different ones each week getting hot. Rory is supposed to be next chosen one but he seems to be over par more than under this year yet they still try to make sure we know how good he is when he is going low. YAWN. Golf needs Tiger or his equivalent, no doubt. Someone to make us watch, even if just to hate and watch fail. But watching a once-a-generation type player in any sport is more exciting compared to a pool of similar good players.

Both Golf Galaxy's in my town are always me and like 3-5 others in these huge stores during the evening whenever I go. They are deeply discounting new equipment trying to encourage sales. NEW select Callaway/Taylormade/Cobra drivers they are selling for $150, cheaper than many of their used drivers! Again, how much longer can they sustain this with 5 workers walking around doing nothing yet sales are down so much they are almost giving away new drivers?

Golf is in trouble because the middle class is in trouble. Just as someone above pointed to, work hours are up, less free time is down. Not to mention golf is a disposable income type sport. It is for those that have time and extra money, but of which the middle class seems to be having less of. And not just time, but time during the DAY only. No joining a 7pm basketball league type escape. Golf requires time away from family, kid(s), work etc during prime hours. And the recession just makes it harder to rationalize that time away for 5+ hours during the day while wandering around in nice outdoors playing a game. A game that is SO hard and frustrating it needs constant attention/practice just to avoid wanting to quit.

Retires have the time. My friends don't as much as they used to even just last year and I too question what else I SHOULD be doing more often now when I do find time to sneak away. My kid is 4 now and I think to myself I deserve a hobby to be away a few hours 3x a week. But then also start to think how fast he has grown already. Or the work I could be doing instead of later. Etc.

Golf is in a shakeout . Hope the damage isn't too much. I enjoy having stores by me to go hit a few in the monitors once in while and so many courses to choose from. But even I have had quiet thoughts of giving it up. I was SO addicted to it for first 3 years, now feel the decline has fueled a negative response. Depressing to see Golf in this state. I was hoping I was in at right time and was growing my skills for when MORE friends started to take up the game, not LESS...

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1403260082' post='9537847'][quote name='Ayoung19' timestamp='1398478759' post='9173139']
I played golf today, it didn't seem dead to me.
[/quote]

nobody goes to golf courses anymore, they're too crowded.[/quote]

That statement contradicts itself. Decide if they're too crowded,OR if no one is going. Can't be both

[quote name='borker' timestamp='1403245075' post='9537587']
I agree, golf is in trouble.

I've only been playing for 4.5 years now. Now I know it is summer and I'm in the desert so 100+ degree days are the norm, but the past three rounds in past 3 weeks (during weekday) I have played was like playing in a ghost town. I played five balls off every tee today and not once was caught by even another single! It was not like this when I started 4 years ago even during the summer and weekday's I was waiting many times for shots, with rest of the hardcores out there. Last year was the first my friend and I started to notice more freedom in playing during summer and this year it is the worst I've seen [b]by far[/b]. And to top it off, I played in afternoon on Father's Day and again had course to myself almost with no stress all day.

Plus the range I frequent used to always have 3-7 guys out there with me, again even during summer. Lately it has been me and like 1-2 other guys. Some times they would even have clinics going on in spring time to where I was getting last stall available. This spring they still had them, but not as often AND not as many participants when they did have them. I found out they even had to go do a Groupon thingy to even fill the clinics.

I know this is a good thing to be able to not have to deal with crowds, slow-play, hard to get tee-times, etc. It is awesome to be out on golf course for $25 and basically have it to yourself. But how much longer can it sustain this? This must put HUGE strain on the courses revenue flow. Many are probably operating close to, or at a loss if they are not even able to get a good flow of golfers at $25, at a nice, well maintained and looking course. I don't play weekends ever so can't judge if there is a difference there as well from 4 years ago, but there is a very noticeable decline during the weekdays here this year, for sure.

The US Open TV Ratings were down 46% from last year. The Master's were at an all-time LOW in ratings. No one exciting enough and/or GOOD enough to grab the masses attention so it has become boring watching. The top 5 ranked are inconsistent and have been out of picture by the weekend many times. Or only one of them has been near enough to matter and rest are random players and different ones each week getting hot. Rory is supposed to be next chosen one but he seems to be over par more than under this year yet they still try to make sure we know how good he is when he is going low. YAWN. Golf needs Tiger or his equivalent, no doubt. Someone to make us watch, even if just to hate and watch fail. But watching a once-a-generation type player in any sport is more exciting compared to a pool of similar good players.

Both Golf Galaxy's in my town are always me and like 3-5 others in these huge stores during the evening whenever I go. They are deeply discounting new equipment trying to encourage sales. NEW select Callaway/Taylormade/Cobra drivers they are selling for $150, cheaper than many of their used drivers! Again, how much longer can they sustain this with 5 workers walking around doing nothing yet sales are down so much they are almost giving away new drivers?

Golf is in trouble because the middle class is in trouble. Just as someone above pointed to, work hours are up, less free time is down. Not to mention golf is a disposable income type sport. It is for those that have time and extra money, but of which the middle class seems to be having less of. And not just time, but time during the DAY only. No joining a 7pm basketball league type escape. Golf requires time away from family, kid(s), work etc during prime hours. And the recession just makes it harder to rationalize that time away for 5+ hours during the day while wandering around in nice outdoors playing a game. A game that is SO hard and frustrating it needs constant attention/practice just to avoid wanting to quit.

Retires have the time. My friends don't as much as they used to even just last year and I too question what else I SHOULD be doing more often now when I do find time to sneak away. My kid is 4 now and I think to myself I deserve a hobby to be away a few hours 3x a week. But then also start to think how fast he has grown already. Or the work I could be doing instead of later. Etc.

Golf is in a shakeout . Hope the damage isn't too much. I enjoy having stores by me to go hit a few in the monitors once in while and so many courses to choose from. But even I have had quiet thoughts of giving it up. I was SO addicted to it for first 3 years, now feel the decline has fueled a negative response. Depressing to see Golf in this state. I was hoping I was in at right time and was growing my skills for when MORE friends started to take up the game, not LESS...
[/quote]

very good observations.

there used to be a time where i played a decent game, and played a decent amount of the time. but in the last say, 5-10 years, work has taken a lot out of me physically, mentally, and emotionally that going to the course has become more of a chore than a pasttime. and when you are not any good, there is no incentive. the guys you used to play with don't want to play with you anymore. and i say, why beat yourself up trying to stay in shape when you are getting beat up most of the other waking hours of the day !?! it simply isn't worth it for me. for guys living the dream and making boatloads of money barely lifting a finger, go enjoy a round for the rest of us.

[quote name='Ayoung19' timestamp='1403260223' post='9537855']
[quote name='golfcarte' timestamp='1403260082' post='9537847'][quote name='Ayoung19' timestamp='1398478759' post='9173139']
I played golf today, it didn't seem dead to me.
[/quote]

nobody goes to golf courses anymore, they're too crowded.[/quote]

That statement contradicts itself. Decide if they're too crowded,OR if no one is going. Can't be both
[/quote]

go google yogi berra restaurants and you'll understand.

[quote name='curitiba' timestamp='1402796945' post='9497611']
1) Golf is too long: I personally feel satisfied by about the 14th hole ( a perfect scenario for me would be front 7, back 7, or just 14 holes.)
[/quote]

I've been saying the same thing for years. Cut the courses back to 14 holes by either permanently removing two holes a side, or rotating two holes out each day. Four fewer holes would cut roughly an hour off the round. I don't like playing 9 holes, as it feels too short.

[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1402947879' post='9508305']

[/quote]

Very interesting infographic. I had this exact discussion with a long time private club member on Tuesday night. He pretty much said the same thing - with many more women in the workforce, private club membership and rounds played on weekends are down as childcare and home chore demands on fathers have increased.

The other interesting thing with this infographic is how much more time parents are spending taking care of their kids (even with fewer kids/family than in 1965). Certainly aligns with personal observations as I grew up in the 70's as what might be termed today a "free range kid." We organized our own baseball and football sandlot games, and rode our bikes everywhere. Came home when it got dark. Seems much more rare these days. In fact I've read of several cases of CPS being called on parents for allowing their kids to play outside unsupervised (this actually happened to friends of mine about 12 years ago).

If golf wants to appeal to more users, you have to broadcast to those users.

Do you really think the current NBC crew entices the 18-34 year old demographic? Why the hell do the announcers whisper in the booth? Why not seal the booth so you can broadcast with some freaking enthusiasm. Get people excited about golf!

Also, why in the WORLD do I give two cents about who built the golf course? Oh its a Nicklaus course, oh this was a Donald Ross redesign, WHO CARES?!!?! Do you think I really give a s*** who built the course? Do you see NFL broadcasters interviewing executive CEO's with naming rights to a stadium? Don't nobody care about that.

Golf is losing players because they only appeal to a dying (literally dying) demographic. You can't identify with a larger, younger demographic by a broadcast that caters to an older, less relevant demographic.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1403279684' post='9539647']
[quote name='curitiba' timestamp='1402796945' post='9497611']
[/quote]

I've been saying the same thing for years. Cut the courses back to 14 holes by either permanently removing two holes a side, or rotating two holes out each day. Four fewer holes would cut roughly an hour off the round. I don't like playing 9 holes, as it feels too short.
[/quote]

I also generally have had enough after 14. And the last couple hole are usually a grind especially if it's been a slow round already, or if it's 95 degrees out.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H