Golf is dying: "lost 5 million players in the last decade... another 5 million will quit in the next

Yellow Jacket

[quote name='Pat du Golf' timestamp='1398489036' post='9174035']
what's next? guard rails on the fairways?
[/quote]

That was actually one of the suggestions in the Times article!

The only people who have to worry about the alleged "death" of golf are the equipment manufacturers. As near as I can tell, as with Mark Twain, the reports of its death are greatly exaggerated.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1398529367' post='9175579']
[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1398527526' post='9175475']
[color=#000000]In my opinion, the business of golf has hurt the sport of golf.[/color]

[color=#000000]Supply needs to be in equilibrium with demand. Unfortunately demand is not growing and supply is out of control.

Here are the problems:

1. [b]Too many golf courses with unsustainable business models[/b]. The overbuilding and the proliferation of new golf courses. The majority of the new courses are not cheaper than the old ones. Much of the overbuilding was driven by over optimistic housing projections.[/color]

[i][color=#000000]The weaker golf clubs and financially unstable courses need to go out of business, so others can survive.[/color][/i]

[color=#000000]2. [b]Weak leadership[/b]. The inability/unwillingness of the USGA to limit the equipment make many existing golf courses obsolete. Major League Baseball puts limits on the bat (no aluminum) and ball (no dimples) so they do not have to build new stadiums to accommodate technological equipment advances. Everyone (players and fans) live with the traditional equipment and enjoys the game. [/color]

[i][color=#000000]It should be about the people who play and the game, not the OEMs.[/color][/i]

[color=#000000]3. [b]Too much emphasis on equipment[/b]. The ever-shortening product cycle for all OEMs without meaningful technological innovation (colorful drivers are not innovative) make golfers unnecessarily allocate their resources towards the tools rather than the game.[/color]

[color=#000000]OEM’s unrealistic growth assumptions have forced a shortened product cycle on consumers and have turned golf equipment into a marketing game. True innovation in golf equipment (cavity-backed irons, multi-layer balls, metal woods) has been few and far between.[/color]

[i][color=#000000]There should be fewer OEMs and the product cycles should be longer.[/color][/i]

[color=#000000]4. [b]There is too much money in professional golf[/b]. It is amazing that for a sport where participation is declining, that professional tour purses are as big as they are. Could it mean that the number of people who watch golf is increasing where the people who play golf is not? Are we becoming a spectator society? The power of television allows sponsors to reach millions more people than they have in the past. Given the TV exposure golfers get, their shirts and golf bags are starting to look like NASCAR firesuits.[/color]
[color=#000000]Why all the hero worship? Why are we paying these guys so much? Big marketing budgets hurt all of us, as the cost of the marketing gets factored into the price of goods. Would we watch less golf if the purses were smaller? Why are many OEM’s marketing budgets bigger than their R&D spending?[/color]
[color=#000000]Ul
timately, I think (and hope) the game gets smaller and becomes more sustainable. Currently the business interests of golf are at odds with the non-professional playing of golf.[/color]

[color=#000000]Yes golf is a time-consuming expensive sport, but it always has been. Trying to turn it into something else is wrong.[/color]
[/quote]

This stuff makes my brain hurt. I'm not saying what you're
saying is wrong or right. It just seems we are getting so
deep in the weeds. :-)
[/quote]

Those weeds are pretty short then.

[quote name='Upgrayedd' timestamp='1398601173' post='9179807']
people watch golf on television with the perfect fairways and huge meticulous greens then go out to the local muni and slowly begin to realize that golf sucks for the 99%
[/quote]

People's expectations are way too high for golf courses to able to afford the maintenance. The cost of just water is going to break a few courses in the near future. Which is kinda odd considering Nestle bottles millions of liters for pennies near where I live.

One area the golf industry has failed MISERABLY is in instruction. If new golfers could learn the game in an efficient manner, their enjoyment of the game and 'adhesion' of new golfers would go through the roof.

The fact there has been little improvement in the consistency and effectiveness in golf instruction in the last 40 years is mind blowing. This is especially true given the technology available to instructors today - HD camcorders, Trackman, laptops, etc.

I also agree with the comments about the lack of 9-hole, executive and mid range muni courses. There just aren't a lot of good places for a beginning to go out and feel comfortable/welcome.

And the industry leaves 50% of potential customers on the shelf with how they treat women. Unless they are golfing with their husband or boyfriend, women often get a 'cold shoulder' at the golf course. I took up the game right out of college. I took lessons with a coworker who wanted to play as well. She was a really good athlete - played D1 basketball in college. She picked up the game REALLY quickly. But she only played a few years. She said she never felt welcomed by other golfers - almost like they 'had to put up with a girl getting paired with them'...even though she was a good player.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[size=4][b][color="#000000"]Instruction is golf’s low-lying fruit.[/color][/b][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]While not as sexy or immediately gratifying as buying new equipment lessons can immediately improve a player’s enjoyment of the game. I had never taken a lesson in 15 years of playing, but had purchased enough golf equipment during that period to outfit an entire high school team. Last year, I invested in four lessons and dropped my HC by 5 strokes (18 to 13) in one season. I have invested in more lessons this year, and I am now getting all the increased distance, forgiveness and accuracy that all those equipment purchases promised, but never delivered.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]Instruction should be combined with equipment purchases as many ball flight issues should be corrected by swing improvements rather than club modifications. While many players could benefit from higher-lofted drivers, less-stiff shafts, and properly-sized putters, good instructor will likely suggest new equipment only as a last resort.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]If left to make equipment decisions without instructor input, many players will let the marketers tell them what they want. [/color][/size]

[size=4][i][color="#000000"]Golfers should spend more money on instruction and less on equipment.[/color][/i][/size]

[size=4][b][color="#000000"]More women, especially single women, should play golf.[/color][/b][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]The demographics of golf are dominated by men who have the time and resources to play.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]For single women, isn’t this the target market?

Spending time on a golf course can tell you a lot about your playing partner:[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]How does he deal with disappointment?

Is he kind/supportive/encouraging to those who are less skilled?[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]Does he take himself too seriously?

Is he overly optimistic/pessimistic?[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]Does he cheat?[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]A few introductory lessons, some time at the driving range, and a new female player is good to go.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"]Local munis could have a social night at the driving range, co-ed group lessons, or a 9 hole singles scramble on an early summer evening and the game participation grows along with the food and beverage business at the clubhouse…[/color][/size]

[i][color="#000000"][size=4]Women could be the key to greater golf participation.[/size]

[/color][/i]

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[quote name='Sebmour' timestamp='1398600531' post='9179785']
4 courses closed in the greater Montreal area last year alone. Golf is not doom but it's not healthy. The OEM want more players to make more profit and that's their only goal.
[/quote]

Which courses? I can't think of any around where i am, i guess Challenger comes to mind but that was probably less to do with golf and more to do with how valuable that land was for condos. Dorval closed an 18 but that's because the Airport bought the land. All the courses i've ever played are still around. I'm actually curious which ones closed because i wasn't familiar with them

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1398621571' post='9181311']
[size=4][b][color=#000000]Instruction is golf’s low-lying fruit.[/color][/b][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]While not as sexy or immediately gratifying as buying new equipment lessons can immediately improve a player’s enjoyment of the game. I had never taken a lesson in 15 years of playing, but had purchased enough golf equipment during that period to outfit an entire high school team. Last year, I invested in four lessons and dropped my HC by 5 strokes (18 to 13) in one season. I have invested in more lessons this year, and I am now getting all the increased distance, forgiveness and accuracy that all those equipment purchases promised, but never delivered.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]Instruction should be combined with equipment purchases as many ball flight issues should be corrected by swing improvements rather than club modifications. While many players could benefit from higher-lofted drivers, less-stiff shafts, and properly-sized putters, good instructor will likely suggest new equipment only as a last resort.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]If left to make equipment decisions without instructor input, many players will let the marketers tell them what they want. [/color][/size]

[size=4][i][color=#000000]Golfers should spend more money on instruction and less on equipment.[/color][/i][/size]

[size=4][b][color=#000000]More women, especially single women, should play golf.[/color][/b][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]The demographics of golf are dominated by men who have the time and resources to play.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]For single women, isn’t this the target market?

Spending time on a golf course can tell you a lot about your playing partner:[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]How does he deal with disappointment?

[size=4][color=#000000]Does he take himself too seriously?

[size=4][color=#000000]Does he cheat?[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]A few introductory lessons, some time at the driving range, and a new female player is good to go.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]Local munis could have a social night at the driving range, co-ed group lessons, or a 9 hole singles scramble on an early summer evening and the game participation grows along with the food and beverage business at the clubhouse…[/color][/size]

[i][color=#000000][size=4]Women could be the key to greater golf participation.[/size][/color][/i]

[/quote]

You would think that would be the case.....but it seems like (many golfers) don't roll out the welcome mat to women. Like the friend I mentioned. She is (was) a good player, easy to get a long with, enjoys a beer or two. Hell, she was tall and blond - so she was easy on the eyes too. But where I could get paired as a single and have a good time 99% of the time. She said when she tried to play with strangers they would either act put out that she would slow them down and/or assume she couldn't play and would overreact to a good shot or give her unsolicited advice. Once they realized she could play, they warmed up...but she dreaded the beginning of every round.

She wanted to get more women in the office playing, but didn't have a lot of luck.

Unless it's a women's league event, how often do you see women on the golf course if they aren't with the husbands/boyfriends? It's very rare to see an all female foursome.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='mantan' timestamp='1398622419' post='9181381']
[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1398621571' post='9181311']
[size=4][b][color=#000000]Instruction is golf’s low-lying fruit.[/color][/b][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]While not as sexy or immediately gratifying as buying new equipment lessons can immediately improve a player’s enjoyment of the game. I had never taken a lesson in 15 years of playing, but had purchased enough golf equipment during that period to outfit an entire high school team. Last year, I invested in four lessons and dropped my HC by 5 strokes (18 to 13) in one season. I have invested in more lessons this year, and I am now getting all the increased distance, forgiveness and accuracy that all those equipment purchases promised, but never delivered.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]Instruction should be combined with equipment purchases as many ball flight issues should be corrected by swing improvements rather than club modifications. While many players could benefit from higher-lofted drivers, less-stiff shafts, and properly-sized putters, good instructor will likely suggest new equipment only as a last resort.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]If left to make equipment decisions without instructor input, many players will let the marketers tell them what they want. [/color][/size]

[size=4][i][color=#000000]Golfers should spend more money on instruction and less on equipment.[/color][/i][/size]

[size=4][b][color=#000000]More women, especially single women, should play golf.[/color][/b][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]The demographics of golf are dominated by men who have the time and resources to play.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]For single women, isn’t this the target market?

[size=4][color=#000000]How does he deal with disappointment?

[size=4][color=#000000]Does he take himself too seriously?

[size=4][color=#000000]Does he cheat?[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]A few introductory lessons, some time at the driving range, and a new female player is good to go.[/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000]Local munis could have a social night at the driving range, co-ed group lessons, or a 9 hole singles scramble on an early summer evening and the game participation grows along with the food and beverage business at the clubhouse…[/color][/size]

[i][color=#000000][size=4]Women could be the key to greater golf participation.[/size][/color][/i]

[/quote]

You would think that would be the case.....but it seems like (many golfers) don't roll out the welcome mat to women. Like the friend I mentioned. She is (was) a good player, easy to get a long with, enjoys a beer or two. Hell, she was tall and blond - so she was easy on the eyes to. But where I could get paired as a single and have a good time 99% of the time. She said when she tried to play with strangers they would either act put out that she would slow them down and/or assume she couldn't play and would overreact to a good shot or give her unsolicited advice. One they realized she could play, they warmed up...but she dreaded the beginning of every round.

She wanted to get more women in the office playing, but didn't have a lot of luck.

Unless it's a women's league event, how often do you see women on the golf course if they aren't with the husbands/boyfriends? It's very rare to see an all female foursome.
[/quote]

I remember a few months ago, I think it was Stupples on Morning
Drive said sometimes she plays outside her home course for a
change.

She went out as a single and got put out with 3 guys. After they
hit at the first tee they just assumed she was gonna hit from the
ladies tee and were getting ready to head over.

So she tees up at the same tee box as them and hits her driver
and they're like, huh? Must have been funny.

She wasn't blowing her own horn or anything; just pointing out
that men do assume women can't play or are short knockers.

[quote name='Upgrayedd' timestamp='1398459349' post='9171203']
[quote name='TitlePured' timestamp='1398457927' post='9171065']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1398454879' post='9170687']
[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1398452867' post='9170443']
According to the Center for Disease Control, the percentage of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity is 69.2%. That is not trolling, that is a fact. I think that is affecting the number of golfers.
[/quote]

Your point is valid...but...you're causing people to circle
the wagons by your........ attitude.

It's real simple. Cut all grains from your diet and eat as
much as you want of everything else and you won't be
fat. People won't do it.
[/quote]

Golf WAS a great sport for exercise... when most people walked. The business relationship with golf cart companies prevents golf from promoting the benefit of walking. Glad to see a few new courses that are walking only and have optional caddies. Such is the country we live in. Guys I know wouldn't blink at paying $14 for half a cart but wouldn't pay a kid $10 to carry their bag. All the while they are getting fatter, the golf cart is tearing up the course, electricity/ gas is being used, and that kid is at home playing video games instead of getting exercise/ learning golf/ making money.
[/quote]$10? Pay a kid $10 to lug a full set of clubs four miles over four hours? Is that really the going rate? Where do I find one of those hard working $2.50 per hour kids to haul my stuff? Seriously.
[/quote]

I said they wouldn't pay a kid $10 to caddie... not that it is $10 for a caddie. Most places that now have caddies don't use kids/ teens anymore. What do you think is better for a kid, video games or making $10 caddying?

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

I don't believe golf is dying but reverting back to a more sustainable level of participation following a 20 year period of overbuilding. A "perfect storm" of Tiger, the real estate boom and period of unprecedented economic growth caused developers to combine real estate development with golf "communities". Many of these communities offer bad course design, challenging course/community maintenance and poor management.

I live in an area with a population just short of 100,000 residents. In 1998 we had four quality golf courses, one being a nearly 100 year old private club. Since 1999, eight more courses have opened with none of the original four closing. Twelve courses can't be sustainable given the local population and it has caused all twelve to struggle. I suspect many other communities around the country are in a similar position.

[quote name='chrndwg' timestamp='1398466270' post='9171891']
First off, it's weird that this thread turned into diet tips - the conversation has been officially derailed by a complete straw man. There is absolutely no data to prove that Americans are not golfing because they're too fat. There is data to prove that Americans are fat, and there is data to prove that people are not golfing - but nothing connecting the two other than pure (flawed) conjecture. If fatness is why people are not playing golf, then why are Americans not also seeing major declines in other sports (especially those more physically strenuous)? If fatness is why people are not playing golf, then why in the [b]very article referenced in this post[/b] is it not listed as a top 4 reason for why people don't play golf? Correlation does not equal causation - especially when the correlation is spotty at best (you'd have better luck relating the decline in golf to the invention of smart TVs - at least then you wouldn't have to throw out the increase in popularity of golf over the prior 40 years to make the timing work).

All that being said, I would also challenge the notion that long term this is something avid golfers should be concerned about. In the short term, yes it will result in higher costs as golf courses raise prices to keep the same revenue with less people - but that is not sustainable. Eventually golf courses will close, and as that happens golfers per golf course will rise, and once again prices will reach a steady state wherein courses will feel the pressure to compete on price - the difference being there will be less variety (courses) - though I'm not sure that will hurt quite like people think it will...we're not talking about shutting down Pebble...

The fact is that nothing happening with the health of golf is new to the world. Nearly all ecosystems ebb and flow - it's not because we're all getting fatter, or people can only think 140 characters at a time, it's because this is the way that dynamic supply and demand systems work. If you don't believe me ask your high school bio teacher - I'm sure he/she will tell you a great story about an island of rabbits and wolves...
[/quote]

WTF are you trying to do, throwing that critical objective thinking and analysis into the mix?!

"[color=#282828]1) Too hard[/color]
[color=#282828]2) Too expensive[/color]
[color=#282828]3) Takes too long[/color]
[color=#282828]4) Women don't feel welcome"[/color]
[color=#282828]#1. No sport is easy. This isn't really to golf's detriment. The challenge may deter some, but many are driven by the toughness.[/color]
[color=#282828]#2. Fair point. Golf is not a poor man's game. It never has been. But with more courses, more efficient greenskeeping equipment, and a strong resale market, golf has a lower barrier to entry than ever. This has always been a problem, and yet, golf has grown significantly.[/color]
[color=#282828]#3. I usually play 9. 18 does take too long. If this is really an issue, I bet we'll see the 12 hole round movement become official.[/color]
[color=#282828]#4. This has always been an issue, but once again, this is getting better. As a single empirical sign of the changing mindsets of the game, I'd point to the admission of female members to Augusta. More and more women are trying the game, and more and more are being welcome in a way the've never been before.[/color]
[color=#282828]Golf experiences periodic declines, like anything popular, but in the scheme of things, it's minor.[/color]
[url="https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=golf&year_start=1800&year_end=2014&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cgolf%3B%2Cc0"]See chart here[/url]

The game is difficult for many, Lets face it, Golf is not for everyone.
To play it well, one has to devote some time, practice, and be physically
able to participate. If I did not play well, I would lose interest too !!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Some of the arguments here crack me up. Let me get this straight: Golf is dying because:

- there are too many courses
- golf is too hard
- new equipment has made existing courses obsolete (meaning they're too easy)
- play is too slow (because there are too many people on the course)
- there are too many new equipment releases
- there is too much money in the PGA

Am I taking crazy pills? The only point so far that seems to make sense is "women don't feel welcome." But I don't think this is exactly a new issue for golf.

Like a few others have stated, the overall economy probably has more to do with any perceived decline than anything else.

[quote name='mikes919' timestamp='1398693624' post='9186357']
Some of the arguments here crack me up. Let me get this straight: Golf is dying because:

- there are too many courses
- golf is too hard
- new equipment has made existing courses obsolete (meaning they're too easy)
- play is too slow (because there are too many people on the course)
- there are too many new equipment releases
- there is too much money in the PGA

Am I taking crazy pills? The only point so far that seems to make sense is "women don't feel welcome." But I don't think this is exactly a new issue for golf.

Like a few others have stated, the overall economy probably has more to do with any perceived decline than anything else.
[/quote]

This whole thing is pretty silly isn't it? Much ado about nothing. Hey, it's got entertainment value..

And, at least at my home course, there are plenty of women. There's a women's league, and I regulary see women on the course, even as 4 balls.

One thing I see as a potential reason for people leaving the game is the fact that fringe players have almost no shot to get desirable tee times. It doesn't matter if a course is private or not, I bet if you go every Saturday and Sunday between 8 and 10 am you'll see the exact same groups going out. The regulars come in and take over all the good tee times relegating others to the bad times of day. The same goes for twilight. A lot of courses will have the same guys going out at the start of twilight every day.

I'm not saying that courses should completely stop this practice, but they should block off times to allow non-regulars to get good tee times which should get them hooked on the game which in turn can make their days of bad times more bearable. I had some success with this model at a club I belonged to. It sucked because I was new and all tee times before noon on weekends required at least 3 members. Seeing as I didn't know members, I pushed to get a few tee times that were open to singles so that random groups could be made up to allow for potential new groups to form.

Ultimately I think courses should move to a new system to value tee times differently throughout the day, kind of like how hotels and airlines do things. Basically they just need to make the 8am super great tee time cost more than teeing off at noon in the blazing sun. I don't think I should have to pay the same rate for both.

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1398698242' post='9186919']
One thing I see as a potential reason for people leaving the game is the fact that fringe players have almost no shot to get desirable tee times. It doesn't matter if a course is private or not, I bet if you go every Saturday and Sunday between 8 and 10 am you'll see the exact same groups going out. The regulars come in and take over all the good tee times relegating others to the bad times of day. The same goes for twilight. A lot of courses will have the same guys going out at the start of twilight every day.

[b]I'm not saying that courses should completely stop this practice, but they should block off times to allow non-regulars to get good tee times which should get them hooked on the game which in turn can make their days of bad times more bearable. [/b]
[/quote]
Your loyal repeat customers should get priority, IMO.

At my club (semi-private) the only priority given to us season-pass holders is we're allowed to make tee times a few more days in advance than the public. It's one of the reasons I bought the pass to begin with. Getting a reasonable tee time isn't impossible for the public, but we get first dibs, and that's how it should be. If other players want first dibs, buy the season pass like I did.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1398704288' post='9187765']

[b]I'm not saying that courses should completely stop this practice, but they should block off times to allow non-regulars to get good tee times which should get them hooked on the game which in turn can make their days of bad times more bearable. [/b]
[/quote]
Your loyal repeat customers should get priority, IMO.

At my club (semi-private) the only priority given to us season-pass holders is we're allowed to make tee times a few more days in advance than the public. It's one of the reasons I bought the pass to begin with. Getting a reasonable tee time isn't impossible for the public, but we get first dibs, and that's how it should be. If other players want first dibs, buy the season pass like I did.
[/quote]

Sorry for the OT, but I've never known what semi-private means. That's like being semi-pregnant. Can someone edgamacate me?

I'm not saying that courses should completely stop this practice, but they should block off times to allow non-regulars to get good tee times which should get them hooked on the game which in turn can make their days of bad times more bearable. I had some success with this model at a club I belonged to. It sucked because I was new and all tee times before noon on weekends required at least 3 members. Seeing as I didn't know members, I pushed to get a few tee times that were open to singles so that random groups could be made up to allow for potential new groups to form.

Ultimately I think courses should move to a new system to value tee times differently throughout the day, kind of like how hotels and airlines do things. Basically they just need to make the 8am super great tee time cost more than teeing off at noon in the blazing sun. I don't think I should have to pay the same rate for both.
[/quote] "No one goes there anymore...it's too crowded." -Henny Youngman

If golf is not as popular as it has been in the last 15-20 years, there is some goodness to this. It will have the tendency to get rid of those who try the game because it's a fad, or it's cool, that don't want to learn golf etiquette. It will free up tee times, and possibly allow rates to come down. Bad thing is more courses selling off to property builders, which means more condos and apartments.

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1398602991' post='9179905']
[quote name='Upgrayedd' timestamp='1398601173' post='9179807']
people watch golf on television with the perfect fairways and huge meticulous greens then go out to the local muni and slowly begin to realize that golf sucks for the 99%
[/quote]

People's expectations are way too high for golf courses to able to afford the maintenance. The cost of just water is going to break a few courses in the near future. Which is kinda odd considering Nestle bottles millions of liters for pennies near where I live.
[/quote]

Right on... one of the few posts on this site that has mentioned the future of golf courses pertaining to environmental issues. Water requirements especially will play a big part in golf's future.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

Influence with your dollars. If you want to see your local courses healthy and thriving, spend your money where it counts. Support your golf course and the staff, spend less on fringe items and more at the courses around you. Get involved as a mentor to beginners or young golfers. Instead of buying a new set of clubs this year (which your current ones are perfectly good, I'm sure), sponsor a youth golfer with a season pass or used set of golf clubs. If that is out of your price range, volunteer at a junior golf program or voice your support for such a program.

I can't tell you how many times season pass holders or regular customers of our public course would complain about the course not being nicer or the amenities not up to their standards, but they spent as much or more at the seasonal course they would go to in the winter or at the big box equipment store. These same people are not tolerant of the junior programs held at the course and are confrontational when a beginner group is playing ahead of them. So often a community approach is not taken with golf.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='Tigerstinger1111' timestamp='1398958850' post='9211201']
I'd like to think that Golf is growing. Every time I log into my twitter account I see "golf" trending. That may be a very moot point, but having a topic trending on twitter is a big deal. I see it trending at least a few times a week.
[/quote]

That has little to do with Growing the Sport and more to do with people trying to suck as much money as they can out of peoples pockets.

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1398262354' post='9150749']
[quote name='Mario Good Times' timestamp='1398260263' post='9150521']
The less people play golf the better pricing and more tee times available for me.
[/quote]

I'm not a business major and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but if less people play golf, you would think that courses would have to lower rates to get people to come. Supply and demand. But from personal experience, no matter how few people are playing, I have never seen a golf course lower rates.
[/quote]

I have. As you are outside of Atlanta you'll appreciate it. The course is The Frog in Villa Rica a very nice Fazio layout. It started as part of a dream of a Marriott destination. They got most of their play from Atlanta but it was a long way. Along the way, the dream died. After a while they reduced green fees to attract more local play. The only thing that happened was they beat up the course with more rounds. They made less money but had more rounds. It has reached an equilibrium now. The fees are higher than the low point, conditions are not as nice as they were, but it seems to be stable.