2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Trade with a Newer Member

Ayoung19

Quick question for you guys here - I've set up a trade thru BST, however the other guy only has 2 feedback, both within one week and only 5 posts. Pictures and everything look good, so I have no concerns there, but I wanted to ask if anyone has suggestions for how to protect yourself while trading? Really don't want to just ship my stuff off and get burned.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you could ask him to ship first, citing his newness (is that even a word???), once you receive the item and it checks out, you can ship him your item. sucks, but you've got to do something to protect your interests, just explain your concerns and if he's on the up and up, he shoudln't have any issues with your terms.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Interested in this thread, I've often wondered about this.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

When I have entered into trades, if I have less feedback, I offer to go "first". If I have more feedback, I suggest the other party go first.

I recently did a trade where the other member (who had more feedback) offered to send first since I was in the process of using trackman for shaft fitting. That was way cool of him, and he forever earned my respect for it.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Best way IMO is to sell each other the items via PayPal. Let's say they are worth roughly $150 each, it cost a couple bucks in fees but protects you completely.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I would say that you OP should ask to have him send the club first buuuuut you need to look at this transaction from the new members POV. You have decent feedback but definitely not enough for me to feel comfortable shipping an item first.

I would just trade PayPal funds for the respected value. Yes, you will lose a few dollars but you are both protected. In essence you both are buying the items from each other at the same exact price.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='Ayoung19' timestamp='1402066716' post='9442463']
Thanks for the feedback guys, I like the idea of buying each other's clubs. Please keep the posts coming, trade experiences, advice etc.
[/quote]

Until the guys says he doesn't have any free cash, that's why he offers the trade

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

I wish the number one rule on BST was "Use your common sense." If something feels off to you - for whatever reason - then dont do it. Trust me, whatever you are trying to buy will be available in the BST again soon, if its not already.

If I come accross a member with only a couple feedbacks but he has say 200 posts in the forums, I go back through and browse them to get a feel for him. I have no problems whatsoever trading or buying/selling with members like this. For brand new members with zero posts who may only be on here to buy and sell - just me personally - I am *very* careful in situations like this.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='jsanatx' timestamp='1402067292' post='9442549']
[quote name='Ayoung19' timestamp='1402066716' post='9442463']
Thanks for the feedback guys, I like the idea of buying each other's clubs. Please keep the posts coming, trade experiences, advice etc.
[/quote]

Until the guys says he doesn't have any free cash, that's why he offers the trade
[/quote]

if someone can't come up with enough cash for a golf club, maybe it's not the wisest plan to get involved in a trade with that person

honestly, they're used golf clubs not gold

Stetson has the best idea, sell each other your clubs

[quote name='jsanatx' timestamp='1402067292' post='9442549'] [quote name='Ayoung19' timestamp='1402066716' post='9442463'] Thanks for the feedback guys, I like the idea of buying each other's clubs. Please keep the posts coming, trade experiences, advice etc. [/quote] Until the guys says he doesn't have any free cash, that's why he offers the trade [/quote]

So you're saying if I send him $150 to "buy" his club he won't have any money to then send that same $150 to me to "buy" my club. Interesting.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Im not sure I would trade with anyone unless the trade happened in person , there are exceptions as there are some sellers / buyers who can be trusted without question , but as a general rule you are asking to lose your clubs if a trade exchange is done through ups , usps or fed ex ... but that's only one opinion

Def sell each other the clubs. No offense but I doubt I would trade with either of you yet. Your accounts not even 2 months old and if your calling him new his must be even more recent. For me to trade with you I would need to receive your trade before I shipped mine out.

PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've done a number of trades on here, but definitely use the 'higher feedback' gauge. My cutoff is 20....if you have less than 20 feedback, you send first, I'll send once I receive, (most of the time I don't even entertain trades with low feedback members just incase) if you have strong feedback, are someone I've seen or interacted with in the boards....we can swap straight up.

Might get burned some day, but so far so good. Communication is the big thing. If the messages back and forth are shaky or off even a bit, see ya!

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

I did a trade with a new member with 0 feedback and told him I would ship once he provided tracking and I could see it was en route to me. It ended up going very smoothly and both of us were happy with the transaction.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

[quote name='CallawayKid86' timestamp='1402081614' post='9444173']
I did a trade with a new member with 0 feedback and told him I would ship once he provided tracking and I could see it was en route to me. It ended up going very smoothly and both of us were happy with the transaction.
[/quote]

Reason I say I'm not shipping until I receive the item is for people like Jesusrocks. That guy would sent you a box full of dog crap and you'd be sending him some Miura's.

PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

it's tough building feedback, trust me. I have more than the 2 feedback score I am showing, not much, but 2 more is something....so I feel both sides here. I ebay and BST for myself only, not for profit but for new gear, so I do not have a ton of feedback in either realm, but I have made sure that every transaction I have done goes well by communicating well, being prompt in payment or shipping, thorough description and leaving proper feedback myself. I look at the same things most people here are saying, such as old posts and transactions they participated in, but you always have to be careful. All I am really saying here is I understand being hesitant with newer members, but being one myself I see how hard it can be to gain and earn trust here, especially with all the garbage that has gone on lately on the BST. Sometimes it feels like one of those "entry level" positions that requires 2-5 years of prior experience. Well how the heck can I break in then? Where to start? I would say doing what I mentioned above, and being very open and communicative with the other person will go a long way, but sometimes it just takes time, and some good experiences to earn trust, and that's ok, it's just tough too.

edit: I got to 3 feedback while typing this, sweet! haha

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='Noyes26' timestamp='1402072439' post='9443137']
Def sell each other the clubs. No offense but I doubt I would trade with either of you yet. Your accounts not even 2 months old and if your calling him new his must be even more recent. For me to trade with you I would need to receive your trade before I shipped mine out.
[/quote]

See, I get this totally, you are just protecting yourself, but I would feel like I was being scammed if someone asked to do a trade that way. I think I would be ok with the paypal purchase style trade, but I get paranoid when anything feels or looks off, and asking me to send my part of the trade first, before you sent your side at all, would just feel fishy to me...I guess it is just up to everyone to do things their way and to feel as comfy as possible doing it.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='Russ757' timestamp='1404248474' post='9618359']
Whenever I trade, whoever has the lowest feedback ships first
[/quote]

It does make sense and now that I am seeing this as a common way to do trades here, I feel less anxiety about it. That will help me in the future I am sure, thanks guys.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Am I the only one who specifically looks through the other person's feedback to see how often that person has been a "swapper," rather than just a seller, or even less importantly, a buyer. I put very little stock, if any, for buyer feedback. If a person has anything less than 100% feedback, I will not trade with them. If they have zero swapper feedback, I will not trade with them. I know everyone needs a place to start, but it isn't gonna be with me.

[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra LTD Tensei Pro Blue 70[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Titleist 816H1 17* GD AD HY 85[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Callaway Apex 20* GD AD HY 95[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Nike Vapor Pro 4-pw Recoil 110 proto[/font][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Vokey SM6 50-54-58 Recoil 125 proto[/font][/size][/b]

I've never done the paypal thing because it's pointless if both send the same amount. Never done the you ship first then I ship thing either. I chat the person up and get a feel for the person. If the read is good, I trade. If not I walk. I've done plenty of transactions and have yet to get burned on a trade

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1404265878' post='9620173']
[b]I've never done the paypal thing because it's pointless if both send the same amount.[/b] Never done the you ship first then I ship thing either. I chat the person up and get a feel for the person. If the read is good, I trade. If not I walk. I've done plenty of transactions and have yet to get burned on a trade
[/quote]

I'm not sure I follow the bolded statement? If myself and another member agree to trade two items we place a value of $100 on, and exchange funds via PayPal, and something goes wrong with the transaction, at least at the end of the day I can file a PayPal claim and get the value of the swapped item back. I wouldn't have the item I was trading or trading for, but I'd at least have the value of my original item replaced... albeit at a huge inconvenience to me. Not a perfect situation, but at least I would have some protection. I'm not trying to argue the point, just wanted to get your take on it as you are clearly more active on BST than myself. I do agree 100% with some interaction via PM before conducting any deal on BST, be it buy, sell, or trade. I've politely walked away from a couple deals because I just didn't get the feeling the other party was going to be easy peasy to work with. BST transactions are pretty simple in their basic form- someone lists something to sell, the two parties agree on a price, the buyer sends funds via PayPal, the seller mails the item in a timely manner. If the person on the other end of me is difficult to muster up in PM, I take that as a sign of things to possibly come and move along.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1404272092' post='9620801']
[b]I've never done the paypal thing because it's pointless if both send the same amount.[/b] Never done the you ship first then I ship thing either. I chat the person up and get a feel for the person. If the read is good, I trade. If not I walk. I've done plenty of transactions and have yet to get burned on a trade
[/quote]

I'm not sure I follow the bolded statement? If myself and another member agree to trade two items we place a value of $100 on, and exchange funds via PayPal, and something goes wrong with the transaction, at least at the end of the day I can file a PayPal claim and get the value of the swapped item back. I wouldn't have the item I was trading or trading for, but I'd at least have the value of my original item replaced... albeit at a huge inconvenience to me. Not a perfect situation, but at least I would have some protection. I'm not trying to argue the point, just wanted to get your take on it as you are clearly more active on BST than myself. I do agree 100% with some interaction via PM before conducting any deal on BST, be it buy, sell, or trade. I've politely walked away from a couple deals because I just didn't get the feeling the other party was going to be easy peasy to work with. BST transactions are pretty simple in their basic form- someone lists something to sell, the two parties agree on a price, the buyer sends funds via PayPal, the seller mails the item in a timely manner. If the person on the other end of me is difficult to muster up in PM, I take that as a sign of things to possibly come and move along.
[/quote]
No offense if somebody asked me to shipped first there denying my trust and that pisses me off I highly doubt I would even respond and if I did it wouldn't be pretty! If I'm trading I just want trust and decent communication not perfect just decent. If I'm sent a tracking number I'm tickled to death if not it's not the end of the world.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max D 12° Driver

Ping BeCu Eye 2 + Brown Dot 4-PW/SW Irons

Taylormade MySpider GT Putter

[quote name='MrTmag' timestamp='1404272308' post='9620821']
[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1404272092' post='9620801']
[/quote]

[/quote]
No offense if somebody asked me to shipped first there denying my trust and that pisses me off I highly doubt I would even respond and if I did it wouldn't be pretty! If I'm trading I just want trust and decent communication not perfect just decent. If I'm sent a tracking number I'm tickled to death if not it's not the end of the world.
[/quote]

No offense taken. In fact, I'm not sure how it even relates to my post. I agree with you, I would check out someone's feedback I'm doing a deal with, and have politely walked away from someone with negative feedback. But, if I'm entering into a transaction with someone, I'm going to put my faith in them and go ahead with it regardless of who ships first. But, like I said, I'd like to do whatever is within my power to protect myself should something go wrong.

I have yet to do a trade, but have done a few deals here and have great dealings once a deal is made. I agree with many that both "purchasing" the item from each other is the safest way. There are some with elevated feedback that are terrible to deal with (one may be in this thread) probably due to the fact that they are trying to make money on every deal. Me don't even believe they need to respond once you respond or answer any question, those are who I avoid. Just need to see how comfortable you are with them and then protect yourself with Paypal.

Cobra Bio Cell +
TM Superfast 15*
TM Rescue 19*
Irons - Cobra S2 4-GW
Wedge - Vokey 54* Spin Milled
Putter - Odyssey Tank 1W