2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Stacy Lewis Hating on Li

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403225166' post='9535823']
As mentioned earlier, I'm all for anyone expressing their thoughts. But this is challenging her parents and their decision on how to raise their daughter. I believe you have a connection to a player in the field. If that question was asked of Stacy, about your friend's daughter, and she had the same response, what would you think?
[/quote]

Frankly it wouldn't bother me in the least. It doesn't affect me, Megan, or Lee. It's just her opinion. So what?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1403225208' post='9535833']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403224775' post='9535777']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1403224580' post='9535749']
Yes, let's take Ms. Lewis out behind the cart barn and have her shot.

Reading some of these posts that is the only things that will satisfy some of you. Sheesh...
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, if Stacy had said 16 year old's shouldn't be allowed would you have the same thoughts?
[/quote]
If she had said eight year olds would you?
[/quote]

It's the US Women's Open Championship. I didn't make the rules, they're already established. If she meets the qualifications for the championship, qualifies and her parents think it's the best thing for her, I'm not going to criticize her parents.

So I'll throw this back. If your 11 year old daughter was given the chance to sing the National Anthem, or perform in the Lion King on Broadway and she wanted to because it was fun, how would you react to someone criticizing her or your decision to allow her to perform?

It makes the LPGA look bad when an 11 year old is not only able to qualify but does it easily. Lewis knows that, and has her hackles up. Same as Paulina on the cover of a major golf publication. LPGA is behind the PGA, Champions, and Web.com, and this stings the better players on some level.
What they should say is that she qualified and deserves to be in the field, and I hope she inspires others to play the game.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1403225484' post='9535855']
As mentioned earlier, I'm all for anyone expressing their thoughts. But this is challenging her parents and their decision on how to raise their daughter. I believe you have a connection to a player in the field. If that question was asked of Stacy, about your friend's daughter, and she had the same response, what would you think?
[/quote]

Frankly it wouldn't bother me in the least. It doesn't affect me, Megan, or Lee. It's just her opinion. So what?
[/quote]

Clearly, you're a better man. I'm going to protect people close to me.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403226515' post='9535961']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Protect them from what? Someone's opinion? Why allow what someone else thinks/says control your behavior? You can't control what they say, but you can control how you react to it. Why give up your power to someone else?

[quote name='skyking' timestamp='1403223444' post='9535635']
She is a raving b*tch. She is no doubt steaming over little Lucy having a larger following than her on the course today. I thought the Feherty interview would be the opportunity Lewis needed to prove she has a feminine side, can be witty and charming...in other words, likable. Nope...not even close.

Basically calling out Lucy's parents is NOT cool. She will find out how Lucy's parents feel if someone gets on tv and criticizes her parenting decisions. It was mentioned more than once during the ESPN broadcast today that Lucy wanted to qualify not because of encouragement from her parents. I'm sure Lewis running in to Lucy's parents this week will be awkward at best.

Hopefully the LPGA will put together a DVD of Phil's pressers for Lewis to watch. You can say things in a disarming way and still make your point. It's not rocket science. Oh...those of you who appreciate her "honesty", the reality is any moron can be caustic, abrasive and bitter like Lewis. I don't remember one PGA golfer telling the media that kid playing at the Masters was too young, his parents are to blame and the like. Not even Sergio and other who are "honest" with the media.
[/quote]

Exhibit A for what I said in a previous post.

[i]It is better to have people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. [/i]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1403226738' post='9535993']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Protect them from what? Someone's opinion? Why allow what someone else thinks/says control your behavior? You can't control what they say, but you can control how you react to it. Why give up your power to someone else?
[/quote]

I'm going to protect family or friend from someone, who is the #1 player in the world from the women's perspective, who says she's a role model, who does commercials supporting kids chasing their dream on a golf course and yet says she doesn't belong. Someone who could have gone up to Lucy on the range when she admittedly blew her off and wouldn't watch her hit a golf ball. I'm going to come back and say how about be a role model, go up to her and say Hi Lucy, I'm Stacy Lewis. Can I watch you hit a shot or two? Would you like to play a practice round? Would you like to go get ice cream?

Again, I have no issues with her opinion. But, as someone who espouses to be a role model, why couldn't she have actually proven she was a role model and talked to an 11 year old girl? There are people who say the right words and then there are people who back up their words with the right actions...when no one is looking.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403225574' post='9535863']

Reading some of these posts that is the only things that will satisfy some of you. Sheesh...
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, if Stacy had said 16 year old's shouldn't be allowed would you have the same thoughts?
[/quote]
[/quote]

It's the US Women's Open Championship. I didn't make the rules, they're already established. If she meets the qualifications for the championship, qualifies and her parents think it's the best thing for her, I'm not going to criticize her parents.

So I'll throw this back. If your 11 year old daughter was given the chance to sing the National Anthem, or perform in the Lion King on Broadway and she wanted to because it was fun, how would you react to someone criticizing her or your decision to allow her to perform?
[/quote]
I would hope that i had no reaction at all....When you and your kids throw their hats in the arena, it's a whole new ball game......If a parent cannot take a little criticism (which this was) then they should probably choose a different path.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403227358' post='9536055']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1403226738' post='9535993']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm going to protect family or friend from someone, who is the #1 player in the world from the women's perspective, who says she's a role model, who does commercials supporting kids chasing their dream on a golf course and yet says she doesn't belong. Someone who could have gone up to Lucy on the range when she admittedly blew her off and wouldn't watch her hit a golf ball. I'm going to come back and say how about be a role model, go up to her and say Hi Lucy, I'm Stacy Lewis. Can I watch you hit a shot or two? Would you like to play a practice round? Would you like to go get ice cream?

Again, I have no issues with her opinion. But, as someone who espouses to be a role model, why couldn't she have actually proven she was a role model and talked to an 11 year old girl? There are people who say the right words and then there are people who back up their words with the right actions...when no one is looking.
[/quote]
So how are you going to protect them?

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1403227678' post='9536081']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I would hope that i had no reaction at all....When you and your kids throw their hats in the arena, it's a whole new ball game......If a parent cannot take a little criticism (which this was) then they should probably choose a different path.
[/quote]

Let me ask better questions. First, would you let her perform? And then if someone criticized your daughter, would you be OK with that?

So you're going to give Stacy Lewis a lecture on being a role model? Then who, Tiger Woods?

In her presser Ms. Li looked all broken up about it. While those on this forum still express their "outrage", Ms. Li is enjoying her ice cream and getting ready to have fun tomorrow.

She let it go, why can't some of you folks?

If you're going to talk about being a role model, then you are going to get criticized about not being a role model. She blew Lucy off on the range when at a minimum, she could have said, hi. Or is saying "Hi", too much to ask for a role model? There were a lot of other players who went up to Lucy and introduced themselves during both the men's US Open and the USWO. Stacy chose not to. Chose. Does a role model blow off a 11 year old kid? We have tons of threads on here about players not acknowledging fans...how about ignoring an 11 year old player who qualified for this prestigious event?

Why is it you're OK with Stacy's opinion but no one else can have an opinion? Isn't that rather judgmental?

[quote name='hawgsalot' timestamp='1403101538' post='9523373']
Personally as a professional golf fan, it kind of cheapens the lpga a little when a 11 or 12 year girl can play in their open. I have an 11 year old and I wouldn't under any circumstance allow her to do this, her time will come if she so chooses. Right now my daughter has a hard time choosing what to wear every day much less if she has the mental and physical stamina to handle a US Open. I really and truly see no benefit for her to do this above and beyond her going and winning a Jr tournament. I think they should put an age limit on it like 14 or 15 maybe. I understand she played and won it's her right but it's not just about her, it's also about her playing partners, LPGA sponsors, her parents etc.. At the end of the day, it's not that big of deal but I completely understand Stacey's position. Your now opening the door for the little girls parents to think she's the greatest player ever and push her focus on golf instead of school and life. We've seen such a tragedy in the LPGA in the past year, it can easily turn into an obsession for the parent and tragedy for the kid. I'm not saying it will happen but it opens the door and let's be honest some parents can't handle it much less the kids.
[/quote]

She'll know she's not the greatest player ever when she shoots another 78 and misses the cut. They only give out one trophy and that's to the winner. I bet everyone gets a trophy back in her grade school for just "showing up".

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403228363' post='9536187']
If you're going to talk about being a role model, then you are going to get criticized about not being a role model. She blew Lucy off on the range when at a minimum, she could have said, hi. Or is saying "Hi", too much to ask for a role model? There were a lot of other players who went up to Lucy and introduced themselves during both the men's US Open and the USWO. Stacy chose not to. Chose. Does a role model blow off a 11 year old kid? We have tons of threads on here about players not acknowledging fans...how about ignoring an 11 year old player who qualified for this prestigious event?

Why is it you're OK with Stacy's opinion but no one else can have an opinion? Isn't that rather judgmental?
[/quote]

You didn't read what I said in a previous post. Read that first. I dislike having to repeat myself.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1403229306' post='9536305']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403228363' post='9536187']

[/quote]

You didn't read what I said in a previous post. Read that first. I dislike having to repeat myself.
[/quote]

I did.

[quote name='cardia10' timestamp='1403194135' post='9532367']

I won't out her because she does browse here but this year she is around 250.

That is this year's number, but looking back, she has been within 5 yards or so of this since she has been on tour.
[/quote]

Thx, didn't want to know who just wondered if the LPGA numbers are believable and that would seem to add some legitimacy to them.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good one there. I love kids singing and Nala as a cub would be a good fit for an 11 year old.. Lion King is my oldest daughter's favorite! Would I want my 11 year old in a long running Broadway show? No.

Stacy Lewis is having her comments taken beyond what she actually said by some early in this thread, and I don't think her opinion was unreasonable.

I'll say the same thing she said, if it was my daughter she wouldn't have played in the qualifier at age 11, but that's just me.

If her parents thought she should play, that's their call.

Someone who could have gone up to Lucy on the range when she admittedly blew her off and wouldn't watch her hit a golf ball. I'm going to come back and say how about be a role model, go up to her and say Hi Lucy, I'm Stacy Lewis. Can I watch you hit a shot or two? Would you like to play a practice round? Would you like to go get ice cream?
[/quote]
Exactly.

When Guan Tinglian approached Tiger to ask if he would play a practice round at the Masters....Woods could have easily blown off Guan and said...."you know kid.....you can't even drive a car nor hit the ball over 260 yards...so just go back to China"
But instead...I believe Guan play 9 holes with TW and Dustin.

Ok...ok.....Guan had met TW previously at an event I believe in China.

Ben Crenshaw who played Thurs/Fri with Guan at the Masters had nothing but the most sincere and utmost praise for Guan.

SNaP is a public figure and makes money from sponsorships....maybe a PR lesson from Gulbis might be in order.

Lucy met the USGA's guidelines to qualify and succeeded....and is playing in the USWO...end of story.

I'd love to hear SNaP say to Scott Thompson...."If Lexi was my daughter....I wouldn't let her enter a qualifying".

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1403230650' post='9536509']
11 year olds should not be playing in professional sporting events. But I blame the [u][b]USGA[/b][/u] for having rules that would allow it, not the 11 year old for taking advantage of it. That said, the LPGA probably likes the extra attention.
[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

11 year olds should not be playing in professional sporting events. But I blame the LPGA for having rules that would allow it, not the 11 year old for taking advantage of it. That said, the LPGA probably likes the extra attention.
[/quote]
The USWO is a USGA event not a LPGA event.
The LPGA events often have sponsor invites...that often include Am's of any age.
The LPGA does have minimum age policies for membership.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1403231941' post='9536657']
Someone who could have gone up to Lucy on the range when she admittedly blew her off and wouldn't watch her hit a golf ball. I'm going to come back and say how about be a role model, go up to her and say Hi Lucy, I'm Stacy Lewis. Can I watch you hit a shot or two? Would you like to play a practice round? Would you like to go get ice cream?
[/quote]
Exactly.

When Guan Tinglian approached Tiger to ask if he would play a practice round at the Masters....Woods could have easily blown off Guan and said...."you know kid.....you can't even drive a car nor hit the ball over 260 yards...so just go back to China"
But instead...I believe Guan play 9 holes with TW and Dustin.

Ok...ok.....Guan had met TW previously at an event I believe in China.

Ben Crenshaw who played Thurs/Fri with Guan at the Masters had nothing but the most sincere and utmost praise for Guan.

SNaP is a public figure and makes money from sponsorships....maybe a PR lesson from Gulbis might be in order.

Lucy met the USGA's guidelines to qualify and succeeded....and is playing in the USWO...end of story.

I'd love to hear SNaP say to Scott Thompson...."If Lexi was my daughter....I wouldn't let her enter a qualifying".
[/quote]

Great comment Putt...Nat introduced herself as did Webb Simpson (Lucy's fav player), Lexi, Bea and many more. I'm shocked that she's not getting grief for playing the same clubs as Martin Kaymer!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403231960' post='9536663']
11 year olds should not be playing in professional sporting events. But I blame the [u][b]USGA[/b][/u] for having rules that would allow it, not the 11 year old for taking advantage of it. That said, the LPGA probably likes the extra attention.
[/quote]

Fixed that for you.
[/quote]

You're right. I forgot about that. But then the USGA's a joke so it's not surprising.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1403232298' post='9536713']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403231960' post='9536663']
[/quote]

Fixed that for you.
[/quote]

You're right. I forgot about that. But then the USGA's a joke so it's not surprising.
[/quote]

Can't challenge you on that...but Julius Peppers? Come on.

Huge Tracy Austin fan here...thought she was just a real and genuine person. Hadn't read that but have a ton of respect for parents who let their child's talent follow it's own path and support them as appropriate. Thanks for sharing Joe.

Luv Tracy.

Still a fine looking lady.

austin-tracy-image-12-12.jpg

Met her about 15 years ago at a fund raiser...so gracious and was a very attractive young lady. Of course, at my age, everyone is a young lady.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1403232298' post='9536713']
[/quote]
The USGA isn't a joke...we've got to accept the fact that there are some amazingly talented people who are capable of great things from time to time.

Just like some very young kids are brilliant enough to get accepted into the best universities at such a young age...so why hold them back to play Barbie and Pokemon with their peers vs. letting these prodigies excel and likely find a cure for the awful disease called cancer.