2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Stacy Lewis Hating on Li

Maybe it is how you look at things but I can't see how you can't see Stacy Lewis being a snobby, bitter pill at that presser. I was kind if a fan of hers but seeing that, especially after promoting herself as a supporter of kids and the growing if the game, not any more. Sourpuss. Can't even congratulate the kid or even say hi on the range? Wow.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1403195768' post='9532547']
Quite a bit if misinformation in this thread with regard to Stacy Lewis' comments. I know the media loves controversy, but I did not find Stacy Lewis' comments the least bit controversial or hateful in any way toward 11 year old Lucy Li. The very topic title of this thread is misleading and inflammatory.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. Not a fan of Stacy Lewis , but I agree with the above.

Kind of pathetic how some people in here take something they disagree with and turn it into a complete referendum against the person that said it. Sure, Lewis could have been 100% PC and said something all nice and happy about Li, but she chose to say what she actually believes (and not in a mean/ill-spirited way, might i add). I applaud her for that.

And to those folks that are acting like Lewis is an evil person for stating her opinion, that says more about you than it does about her. I don't watch much LPGA but I'll be rooting for Lewis this weekend simply because of the responses to her comments from some in this thread. Knowing it will piss those people off kind of makes me chuckle.

[quote name='Leftagain' timestamp='1403229669' post='9536367']
[quote name='cardia10' timestamp='1403194135' post='9532367']
I won't out her because she does browse here but this year she is around 250.

That is this year's number, but looking back, she has been within 5 yards or so of this since she has been on tour.
[/quote]

Thx, didn't want to know who just wondered if the LPGA numbers are believable and that would seem to add some legitimacy to them.
[/quote]

No problem, she is pretty solid, most guys she plays with blows it by her, but she is just consistent with pars all day long. Boring to play with her until you add up the scores and realize she never made a bogey all day and beat me by 6. She is out of the top 50 now, but I'd guess she is on par with a + handicap male. Just from what I have saw, she could beat 95% of good club golfers or "club champions:

At some point every so often, I have to explain a very important concept. Let me share something from the Forum Rules:

[b]Community Posting Standards in Detail[/b]

1. Being considerate and respecting each other.
1.1. Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of the site’s goals.
1.2. While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, or purposeless inflammatory posts.

For anyone who needs the above explained, I'll do my best. The minute you direct a post away from the topic and instead, take the opportunity to direct your post at some problem, observation, etc.regarding another community member, you are in violation of our rules. Period. You may have a wonderful suggestion for improving the moral character, world view, or logical processing of another member. Wonderful. Send them a PM. If they wish, they can engage in a scintillating conversation that will make both of you better people. Or you can slug each other until you are verbally black and blue. Or they can block you. [b]The point is, whatever transpires, the rest of us won't be forced to share whatever transpires. The point also is, if you do ignore the above Forum Posting standards, you are in danger of becoming an issue I have to deal with. I don't want to have to deal with it, but I will.[/b]

Stay on topic. Avoid being profane. Stay off each others case.

Have a good day.

I certainly do believe that Stacy can be "pouty" and a bit childish acting at times. I even think that she could have been more accepting of Li playing. That said, she doesn't need to be crucified for her comments. And, my comment about how awesome it would be if Lucy shoots a lower score than her at some point still stands as well.

just curious as i don't follow that tour too closely............is Stacy liked by her peers in general? she really comes off as the loner type to me.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

[quote name='cinnepa' timestamp='1403271993' post='9538707']
just curious as i don't follow that tour too closely............is Stacy liked by her peers in general? she really comes off as the loner type to me.
[/quote]

Certainly what it seems from the broadcasts and what's published, she's respected for her talents but not necessarily the one that everyone is friends with. In her last win, which vaulted her to #1 in the Rolex rankings, only 1 player came out to congratulate her. It's a pretty common thing on the LPGA for your friends to come out and douse you with some type of beverage.

^^^just what i was wondering, many times you see groups congratulating someone on a win. she gets what she deserves then.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403272184' post='9538729']
[/quote]

Certainly what it seems from the broadcasts and what's published, she's respected for her talents but not necessarily the one that everyone is friends with. In her last win, which vaulted her to #1 in the Rolex rankings, only 1 player came out to congratulate her. It's a pretty common thing on the LPGA for your friends to come out and douse you with some type of beverage.
[/quote]
She said herself, she's not out there to make friends. She's there to compete and win. Nothing else. This is a job to her and that's pretty much true to form. She doesn't get crazy with ribbons in her hair and red white and blue nail polish. She embraces "team" when she's playing Solheim, but that's pretty much it. I can respect her play, and I understand her mentality when she's in the ropes. She signs autographs and takes pics with fans, but in relation to her competitors, I've heard while she has friends on tour, they're not many because she doesn't concern herself with being popular with her LPGAers.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1403272987' post='9538825']
[/quote]

[/quote]
She said herself, she's not out there to make friends. She's there to compete and win. Nothing else. This is a job to her and that's pretty much true to form. She doesn't get crazy with ribbons in her hair and red white and blue nail polish. She embraces "team" when she's playing Solheim, but that's pretty much it. I can respect her play, and I understand her mentality when she's in the ropes. She signs autographs and takes pics with fans, but in relation to her competitors, I've heard while she has friends on tour, they're not many because she doesn't concern herself with being popular with her LPGAers.
[/quote]

And she has every right to be that way. It's not different than how Mr. Woods is perceived.

But...say hi to an 11 year old kid that is capturing hearts and inspiring your people to want to play golf. That's what a role model would do.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403228363' post='9536187']
If you're going to talk about being a role model, then you are going to get criticized about not being a role model. She blew Lucy off on the range when at a minimum, she could have said, hi. Or is saying "Hi", too much to ask for a role model? There were a lot of other players who went up to Lucy and introduced themselves during both the men's US Open and the USWO. Stacy chose not to. Chose. Does a role model blow off a 11 year old kid? We have tons of threads on here about players not acknowledging fans...how about ignoring an 11 year old player who qualified for this prestigious event?

Why is it you're OK with Stacy's opinion but no one else can have an opinion? Isn't that rather judgmental?
[/quote]

Bubba got burned at the stake for not signing a young girls autograph and his response was "not with the way Im playing". You would have though he took her candy bar. This isnt a one way street.

Here is what I see:

- No parent, no matter how forceful and abusive, can impart enough pressure on an 11 year old to do THIS exceptionally well in golf. I've seen it attempted. It always fails. There is some internal drive going on. If the parents facilitated her own internal drive then that's okay and kudos to them for doing what it takes to get their daughter to the course at 6am.

- She shot 78 at a track most of us single digit guys wouldn't shoot 85 on..at the same time giggling and yucking it up with her caddie. No robot here.

- She threw up a brilliant interview with the heart of a lion and a child at the same time. She even broke down her history of playing other Donald Ross courses and the turtleback green specifics. And she got in some reporters grill when he questioned her outfit. Extra points for that!!

I was initially annoyed by another under-aged Asian junior at an event with overbearing parents in tow...BUT I'm giving this kid a pass. She is a cool kid on her own. She is wired to do what she is doing. I don't see any external (parental) forces here.

Sometimes we gotta take a situation at face value and not dig for the possibilities of malintent and abuse.

And Stacy Lewis said what most were thinking and that's ok, too.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403269906' post='9538511']
Watching Morning Drive and they're reporting that Stacy Lewis is saying her comments, which some of us watched, were taken out of context and related to her prospective 11 year old daughter as opposed to Lucy. She said she was complimentary of Lucy's qualifying during past pressers.

Judge for yourself.
[/quote]
SNaP had a long discussion with her agent after her agent got a call from KPMG, Manulife, PureSilk & Marathon....the above was the outcome.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1403278796' post='9539531']
Watching Morning Drive and they're reporting that Stacy Lewis is saying her comments, which some of us watched, were taken out of context and related to her prospective 11 year old daughter as opposed to Lucy. She said she was complimentary of Lucy's qualifying during past pressers.

Judge for yourself.
[/quote]
SNaP had a long discussion with her agent after her agent got a call from KPMG, Manulife, PureSilk & Marathon....the above was the outcome.
[/quote]
I'll give her a bit more credit than that. I still agree with her initial sentiments though...

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Judge for yourself.
[/quote]
[/quote]

That's the spirit Putt.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403278971' post='9539547']

Judge for yourself.
[/quote]
[/quote]

That's the spirit Putt.
[/quote]
You're so negative Dave! ;)

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1403272987' post='9538825']
[/quote]

[/quote]
She said herself, she's not out there to make friends. She's there to compete and win. Nothing else.
[/quote]
Agree.
I think most of the top stars are too busy to hang around with their peers....likely spend a lot of time at night talking to their agents or road managers discussing sponsor events, obligations and planning.

Via Twitter...seems the the lower ranked gals hang more with each other for dinners, do laundry, etc.

Bam Bam is friends with SNaP....but Bam has a new BF....so I think she'd rather gets some luvin vs. girl gossip these days.

[quote name='pazimmer.bama' timestamp='1403103912' post='9523809']
[quote name='bw2125' timestamp='1403103653' post='9523763']
I get what you all are saying, but there is absolutely now way my 11 year old would be out there (if I had one). I really get the feeling she was pushed into this, and if she does get beat up like Stacy says, that could end badly. A lot of really talented players burn out from too much pressure and too much golf at a young age. It's clear Lucy has talent, so I would really hate to see that happen.
[/quote]

Can you give any legitimate reason you would say no if your child (son or daughter) had the ability to qualify and wanted to do so?
[/quote]

yes. "this can put too much pressure on you and can adversely affect your game and life". its cute but what happens after...? unnecessary media attention and insane pressure to perform well in future events. now she's under a microscope. that's not how I would want my child to live.

[quote name='awil' timestamp='1403269130' post='9538445']
The trump has spoken .[attachment=2284935:image.jpg]
[/quote]

So, was 11-year-old California resident Lucy Li a member at Doral prior to this? 11 is pretty young to be bi-coastal.

Or just maybe Trump in his usual shameless way is trying to glom on to some kid's glory moment in the spotlight?

[quote name='exquisitechip' timestamp='1403283807' post='9540201']
[quote name='awil' timestamp='1403269130' post='9538445']
The trump has spoken .[attachment=2284935:image.jpg]
[/quote]

So, was 11-year-old California resident Lucy Li a member at Doral prior to this? 11 is pretty young to be bi-coastal.

Or just maybe Trump in his usual shameless way is trying to glom on to some kid's glory moment in the spotlight?
[/quote]

She spends time in the winter with Jim McLean learning at Doral. I hope Trump doesn't hurt himself with the back patting.

[quote name='pazimmer.bama' timestamp='1403107037' post='9524313']
So then where was the uproar when Lexi Thompson or Morgan Pressel qualified at what 12? I didnt see very much concern for her getting burnt out. Her issue which she flat out said was "id like to see kids when more on every level before they come get beat up out here. She should play in the US AM and in match play and learn how to win". Which she has already qualified and played in the US Womens AM and made it all the way to match play in the US Womens Pub LInks. I am all for her speaking her mind and/or showing concern (if there was any) but just like she complained about the shot on 18 in Bejing and getting beat by a bad shot she should have learned and chosen her words more carefully
[/quote]

I'm not sure any of this really qualifies as an "uproar." The number 1 player expressed an opinion when asked. BFD.

As for letting my son play at 11, it really depends on the kiddo.

When I was playing baseball I was very, very good. It was all I wanted to do and I played with young men much older than myself - but I never really thought about it and until I got to college never even realized how good I actually was - I was just doing something I loved doing and my competition was with older players.

When I was swimming at 10 I was competing against swimmers who were training for the Olympics and were much older than me - again, I never really thought about it much, I was just doing something I enjoyed.

My parents made sure I was able to do what I wanted but also allowed me to not compete - I sat out a swimming season because I wanted to do some other things, and my parents didn't bat an eye. The only rules they had were that school came first and if I started a season I finished the season.

On the other hand now that I teach in a HS and have coached baseball I often see parents who want their kiddos to compete because they want them to compete - and the kids are often quite good but often very miserable.

Not sure any of that is quite the same as qualifying (which is a little different than competing by the way) for the US Open, but it is the only experience I have to draw upon.

I think you can tell by the top players ascending to and then dropping out of the #1 rank or retiring that the #1 spot is a lonely spot for anyone.
Quite a difference in expectations by posters here for the men's and women's game. Being #1 in the world isn't enough. YOu have to be nurturing and whatnot if you're a woman and the best in the world? You have to MAKE TIME for an 11 year old to go congratulate her?

Stacy Lewis has her own unique story that is pretty inspirtational and rooted in a TON of hard work and physical pain. I agree that it says volumes more about the people using *this* as an opportunity to pounce. Seems everyone just wants any opportunity to pounce these days and take to the Twittersphere. Well, #bravo to you.

And I dunno....but cheering for rich 11 year olds that are members at Trump National. There are kids that need encoruagement and support a lot more than this kid.

[quote name='CrownCityBoy' timestamp='1403236409' post='9537121']
[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1403195768' post='9532547']
Quite a bit if misinformation in this thread with regard to Stacy Lewis' comments. I know the media loves controversy, but I did not find Stacy Lewis' comments the least bit controversial or hateful in any way toward 11 year old Lucy Li. The very topic title of this thread is misleading and inflammatory.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. Not a fan of Stacy Lewis , but I agree with the above.
[/quote]

Well. I have to say I watched the press conference live and found Stacy's attitude and comments to be rather disappointing and off-putting to say the least.

The #1 lady golfer in the world made a conscious decision not to go over and say hello to Lucy on the range.

Her comments were not taken out of context, she seemed rather annoyed that an 11 year old was in the event.

She may have missed a great opportunity to make a new and lifelong friend in Lucy Li.