RANT: Course's Closing Early in the Summer

A few years ago I played a golf course in Poughkeepsie, NY. It was July and I showed up at 5:45 in the afternoon after work, paid the $25 all you can play rate, and started on the first tee and played by myself as a walking single. I got to the 13th hole around 7:50PM and a ranger comes around and tells me that I've got 10 more minutes left to play. I figured the guy must've just been confused or something, finished 13 and teed off on 14. As I'm walking up the fairway he comes back around and tells me the course is closed and that I have to leave. Imagine my confusion when I'm looking at the sun, which is still up above the trees, there's nobody in front or behind me, and I'm walking by myself.

After telling me that the course closed at 8:00 and that everyone had to leave at that time, I politely nodded and told him I was heading in. After he sped away I finished 14 through 18 while he was out chasing everyone else off the course. Its the only time I've ever encountered such a thing, and while the course was decent I'll never go back there. Twilight is my favorite time to be on a golf course.

[sign here]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mesquite2' timestamp='1403115456' post='9525613']
Never understood why anybody would want to be on a golf course when its dark or getting dark, especially when taking a cart, people are waiting on you to get home. Golf courses should close when there is still daylight so the employees can do their job when they can actually see what they are doing.
[/quote]

If they closed an hour earlier there still would be someone who would have to stay and close things up ... Perhaps this is why the course that someone posted about earlier closed at noon ... That way no body would have to stay "late". :D

Very simply put- expenses vs. revenues- i am in no way shape or form agreeing with closing before dark; however...

If your costs to stay open are greater than your revenues you're bringing in= it's a no brainer.

Those not in the golf industry don't get it, they never do because they can't disassociate their hobby from it being a business. It's not customer service or this or that- it's business.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1403132866' post='9527679']
Very simply put- expenses vs. revenues- i am in no way shape or form agreeing with closing before dark; however...

If your costs to stay open are greater than your revenues you're bringing in= it's a no brainer.

Those not in the golf industry don't get it, they never do because they can't disassociate their hobby from it being a business. It's not customer service or this or that- it's business.
[/quote]

This is it right here.
In my opinion, the comments that don't consider the needs of the business, the course, and the employees are rude and entirely self-centered.
But that's just the way I think, and my opinion.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

the answer is an easy compromise...no carts out after 6pm ..walking only...cart kids can get done and go home and you can play till dark....easy peasy...I say this selfishly of course....it would get carts off the course during hours im playing..lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1403154848' post='9529921']
the answer is an easy compromise...no carts out after 6pm ..walking only...cart kids can get done and go home and you can play till dark....easy peasy...I say this selfishly of course....it would get carts off the course during hours im playing..lol
[/quote]

You still have to have staff until everyone is off the course

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1403132866' post='9527679']Very simply put- expenses vs. revenues- i am in no way shape or form agreeing with closing before dark; however...

Those not in the golf industry don't get it, they never do because they can't disassociate their hobby from it being a business. It's not customer service or this or that- it's business.[/quote]

This is it bottom line. Also to add to it, think about the irresponsible individuals who are out there in the middle of a course they might now know their way around until it's black outside. This just happened the other day to my cart attendant. A group was out until 9 and it got so dark my guy had to go out onto the course in the picker with headlights to find them still trying to play the last 2 holes with their cellphones as lights. I mean really? Not only is it silly and potentially dangerous but it's a liability for the course. What if this guy puts the cart into a hazard and gets hurt? We live in the land of ambulance chasers and I'm sure they would bring us to court for compensation. There is more to it than just "closing a course early". Not every one is a responsible adult that would have the cart in the barn safely before dark.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Also let's not forget alcohol is going to be involved more than likely.

People don't realize how expensive t a cart can be until they get a bill for the one they broke driving like a dingleberry.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

I mean I can understand them having a rule of returning carts before a certain time (like 15 minutes before sunset or something reasonable like that) but closing at 6 is pretty crazy. Either there is some legit reason behind it (maybe the course used to be open later and they didn't get enough play after work to justify staffing the course) or they simply don't need to make the extra revenue.. which given the state of golf right now, seems like a big stretch... heck my home course, which is private, is now open monday evenings.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

For us it's a liability issue, our courses(4) are owned & operated by a county park commission. We also have a huge public park with picnic areas, jogging & bike trails, softball fields, tennis courts & an ice skating rink. Unless you have a reason to be there, all courses & the park are to be closed at sunset. The park commission doesn't want anybody on the courses in the dark, if a player steps in a hole(we have lots of wildlife) or overturns a cart on our hills or are out there just being stupid, which we see all the time, they don't want a lawsuit because we left them out there when it was dark or approaching dark. We also don't have lights where the carts are parked, so the guys can't see to wash & gas them. Nothing worse than riding around 2 golf courses looking for late carts, especially when they are skipping around all over the place. We know where all carts are at all times, so when they are not where they are supposed to be, the hunt begins. Sometimes they go from course to course, so you may not even be looking in the right place.

[quote name='lbj273' timestamp='1403183739' post='9530959']
[/quote]

[/quote]

why?? my proshop is regularly locked up and dark when I finish my late round....Liability could easily be diminished with a posted sign that reads "must be off the course by sunset" If an accident happens while walking on the course after that you can easily claim the person was unauthorized to be there, and maybe even claim trespass....Still would have same liability as daytime, just couldn't claim negligence for letting you out after dark... Insurance is paid just for that , liability, everyone has some sort...Maybe im just lucky....but our clubs restaurant stays open till 930 (not private at all) and gates are open till after they leave...as long as your out of the parking lot before gate closing ive never heard of a person being asked to leave....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1403196818' post='9532665']
[quote name='lbj273' timestamp='1403183739' post='9530959']
[/quote]

[/quote]

why?? my proshop is regularly locked up and dark when I finish my late round....Liability could easily be diminished with a posted sign that reads "must be off the course by sunset" If an accident happens while walking on the course after that you can easily claim the person was unauthorized to be there, and maybe even claim trespass....Still would have same liability as daytime, just couldn't claim negligence for letting you out after dark... Insurance is paid just for that , liability, everyone has some sort...Maybe im just lucky....but our clubs restaurant stays open till 930 (not private at all) and gates are open till after they leave...as long as your out of the parking lot before gate closing ive never heard of a person being asked to leave....
[/quote]

Right. I would say that as a rule the pro-shop is 99.9% of the time closed whenever I walk off a golf course after 8pm. Only person left is usually a cart kid who pulled the short straw and is waiting for the last couple of carts to come in. Aside from the one course I played that I mentioned earlier, I have played dozens upon dozens of golf courses and never encountered such a policy where all golfers are kicked off at a certain time of the evening. If I'm walking out there by myself or with a group its not about cost savings, because nobody is required to stick around and "babysit" me while I'm out there with just me and my clubs. If I have a cart that's a different story, but you're talking about an extra half hour of having one employee sitting around waiting at that point...its negligible to the bottom line.

From a liability perspective, I am no lawyer but if someone were walking out on a course and fell/injured themselves is the fact that the golfer decided to play in less than optimal lighting lawsuit-worthy?

[sign here]

I forgot about this gem... How about one evening we had a large group of about 20 guys go out for a 9 hole replay around 5, shouldn't have been any problem getting in before dark. Well it started to get dark and we hadn't gotten all of their guys in yet. I had my cart attendant swing out to the course and see if there was anyone still playing. He radios up that there are 3 carts sitting next to the 9th green empty. Apparently they were renting a condo on the 9th hole and decided that they should just walk from there and leave the carts for us to find. Awesome! So since it was only me and him I locked up and had to help him bring all the carts back home, since the 9th green is a terrible setup and a long ways from the cart barn, it took us about an hour in the dark to bring them all back in.

[/quote]

Actually, I would argue that not liking the policy and going somewhere is also business. For every action.....

The customers aren't there so the owner can bring in money, the customers show up because the product offered is worth the money. If your revenue is weak at that time of night in the middle of June, the product needs to be reviewed.

Sorry, but your post reads like "I have a business and I should be guaranteed to succeed no matter what."

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1403204648' post='9533509']

[/quote]

Actually, I would argue that not liking the policy and going somewhere is also business. For every action.....

The customers aren't there so the owner can bring in money, the customers show up because the product offered is worth the money. If your revenue is weak at that time of night in the middle of June, the product needs to be reviewed.

Sorry, but your post reads like "I have a business and I should be guaranteed to succeed no matter what."
[/quote]

So if I have a completely packed morning on a double tee (about 125 golfers give or take) but don't have anyone but a single booked for 5pm I need to review my product?

If any business knew in a given day that they were only going to have a handful of customers for basically half of the day you don't think saving payroll and other expenses and closing early would be in the quiver of things to do? Yes one or two guys might be upset they can't go play a few holes at the twilight rate, but that is pennies on the day's revenue anyways.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1403205079' post='9533557']

[/quote]

[/quote]

So if I have a completely packed morning on a double tee (about 125 golfers give or take) but don't have anyone but a single booked for 5pm I need to review my product?

If any business knew in a given day that they were only going to have a handful of customers for basically half of the day you don't think saving payroll and other expenses and closing early would be in the quiver of things to do? Yes one or two guys might be upset they can't go play a few holes at the twilight rate, but that is pennies on the day's revenue anyways.
[/quote]

What's your typical walkup percentage?

And I would say yes you do, because you only have so many opportunities, especially in northern climes, to bring in revenue. That 5-6 hour on weeknights could be gold. You've got a heavy fixed cost business with a golf course. Worrying about a cart kid for an extra hour rather than seeing to it that golfers want to come play your course after work when there is daylight available to do so is penny wise and pound foolish.

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1403205443' post='9533599']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And I would say yes you do, because you only have so many opportunities, especially in northern climes, to bring in revenue. That 5-6 hour on weeknights could be gold. You've got a heavy fixed cost business with a golf course. Worrying about a cart kid for an extra hour rather than seeing to it that golfers want to come play your course after work when there is daylight available to do so is penny wise and pound foolish.
[/quote]

Walk-in percentage would have to be close to 1% of our tee sheet. We are a semi-private facility in a resort area so more than 75% of tee times are booked outside 48 hours with the rest coming inside the 48 hour window.

You are correct with a golf course being a big fixed cost business, therefore the only easy place to cut expenses without hurting the actual course is golf operations payroll. And to anyone who asks why someone has to be here until all the golfers are off the course, that is simply the way we operate. There is no way we would knowingly leave someone out on the golf course without having an employee on the property.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1403206431' post='9533705']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Walk-in percentage would have to be close to 1% of our tee sheet. We are a semi-private facility in a resort area so more than 75% of tee times are booked outside 48 hours with the rest coming inside the 48 hour window.

You are correct with a golf course being a big fixed cost business, therefore the only easy place to cut expenses without hurting the actual course is golf operations payroll. And to anyone who asks why someone has to be here until all the golfers are off the course, that is simply the way we operate. There is no way we would knowingly leave someone out on the golf course without having an employee on the property.
[/quote]

I don't know if you lock your doors at 6 or not, but you'll never know how many people roll up after 6 to play if you're not there to take their money. By now most golfers who would play at this time have already learned the hard way that you're not there to take their money at that time, so they've probably been playing somewhere else for years now.

As for leaving someone out on the golf course without an employee on property: take me as an example. I walk 98% of the time. What does leaving an employee around until I finish actually accomplish?

[sign here]

[quote name='italianstallion' timestamp='1403209153' post='9534061']

I don't know if you lock your doors at 6 or not, but you'll never know how many people roll up after 6 to play if you're not there to take their money. By now most golfers who would play at this time have already learned the hard way that you're not there to take their money at that time, so they've probably been playing somewhere else for years now.

As for leaving someone out on the golf course without an employee on property: take me as an example. I walk 98% of the time. What does leaving an employee around until I finish actually accomplish?
[/quote]

We don't lock up the shop until the last golfer is off the course. We also don't allow walking for the general public. Jr's and the local college team walk but everyone else takes a cart.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Makes sense; however, if you're in the business of failing, you won't be there for long; regardless of the product.

[quote name='apprenti23' timestamp='1403209637' post='9534115']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Makes sense; however, if you're in the business of failing, you won't be there for long; regardless of the product.
[/quote]

While I understand why the course would possibly resort to taking someone off the course because they are the only one out there and they were closing the golf course, I don't like the fact that they didn't tell you that was a possibility.

If that was a probably outcome for the end of the day and they didn't tell you that that was a part of the twilight golf at their course then I think the OP has a legitimate beef. Had they told him and then actually did it, I don't see it being an issue outside of "it is what it is".

wow....a cart only course? whats that about? ....no walking, no twilight . = no good in my book....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don't know if you lock your doors at 6 or not,[b] but you'll never know how many people roll up after 6 to play if you're not there to take their money. By now most golfers who would play at this time have already learned the hard way that you're not there to take their money at that time, so they've probably been playing somewhere else for years now.[/b]

This. I understand the liability but what you are saying but golf is a customer service business if it wasnt people wouldnt be on WRX complaining that a starter was rude or a marshall doesnt know what he is doing. I understand there is a cost associated to staying open but the course I normally play at after work (the course that is unfortunately redoing greens) is usually pretty busy. I have been able to get in 18 holes after work since april and I can get there at 7pm and they will still let me go out to squeeze in what I can. I never looked for another place to play until I they announced they were redoing the greens, and the two courses that are in the area one closes at 5:30 and one at 6:00. No matter how you slice it, it makes no sense to close that early. If you leave one cart guy and even if you leave a proshop guy the labor alone can be covered by a twosome playing a twighlight rate.

Courses are very different. I could totally see some resort courses, or higher end courses away from major cities being totally dead in the evenings. As such, missing out on the occasional walk up player does make business sense. Restaurants close at set times too, even if there are potentially some late customers that want to show up.

You can't make blanket statements that courses are making good or bad business decisions on anecdotal evidence or opinion.

Now public/muni style courses should have set policies that carts need to be in by a set time. And maybe for liability reasons everyone must be off the course, but those vary a lot too.

Over the winter, I got locked in the parking lot when I finished #18 pretty much in the dark. It was light enough to still find my ball, so I was pretty pissed. And any employee locking up would have seen my car there. I got a little lucky that they had a weird service road for maintenance that ended up going out to a back road, so I didn't get stuck there overnight. Not sure what I would have done. Called the cops I guess?

[quote name='ruascott' timestamp='1403276341' post='9539247']
[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1403230205' post='9536453']
wow....a cart only course? whats that about? ....no walking, no twilight . = no good in my book....
[/quote]

He said it's a resort type course...a lot of those are designed such they are not walkable at all.
[/quote]

While this is true in a lot of cases, then why do college teams get to walk at his course?

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1403206431' post='9533705']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You are correct with a golf course being a big fixed cost business, therefore the only easy place to cut expenses without hurting the actual course is golf operations payroll. And to anyone who asks why someone has to be here until all the golfers are off the course, that is simply the way we operate. [b]There is no way we would knowingly leave someone out on the golf course without having an employee on the property.[/b]
[/quote]

Which you shouldn't, and I suspect that, while you and I disagree on a number of things in these regards, you don't strike me as the type who would leave someone out there even if liability was not a concern.

Your course, as it stands,appears to be in a different situation than a lot of them. Resort course in a touristy area, if that is the bulk of your business, then yes, you're getting either 36 hole-a-day types, or the barbecue is grilling at 5 pm types. But a lot of these places could easily bring a nice sum of revenue with just a little forethought.

I should also add that your course appears to have done its research, and you have an actual business case for doing what you're doing, as opposed to simply "not pay a kid for an extra hour." While It may not seem so, there is a big difference between "let's save $11 by closing and sending him home early" and "we've looked at our business, and we get very little traffic after x pm, such that if we were to close at that time, we would save y amount on labor/other costs, vs losing out on z in revenue, we would actually come out ahead. Further, our customer base doesn't trend toward the type who would come out to play late if we were to market those tee times." Based on what I've seen in most course operations, you would not want to bet your house on the latter being the rationale for an early close.