2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413867551' post='10324089']
Phew.. [b][size=6][color=#99ff00]REVIEW UP![/color][/size][/b]
[/quote]

Thanks for the review and photos!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413867551' post='10324089']
Phew.. [b][size=6][color=#99ff00]REVIEW UP![/color][/size][/b]
[/quote]

Good job, love the evolution group shots of the irons and the SLDR/ Flex Trackman comparisons.... That long slant neck Method looks incredible, that would probably be the the only way a Nike putter would get into my bag.

I am going to make an early prediction and say that you will end up adding loft on the flex to add some spin and make it a little more playable/controllable on the course. Not a lot but I could see you going up to 10 or just switching the weight.

I am pleased to see that the [b][color=#99ff00]VOLT [/color][/b]font is here to stay.

[quote name='zonacats23' timestamp='1413862281' post='10323697']Sorry if this has been asked and if it's off topic....but did anyone ask about the TW 15?[/quote]

Yes, they said pics should start surfacing soon.. Also they should be lower cut than previous. Didn't get much more than that..

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Great reviews, already in love with the flex driver and excited the rory 006 coming out :swoon:

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#ffa500]Brassie[/color]
[color=#ffa500]Spoon[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#ff0000]Driving Iron[/color]
[color=#008080]Cleek[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mid Mashie[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mashie
Spade Mashie[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mashie niblick[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Pitching niblick[/color]
[color=#ee82ee]Putter[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1413850422' post='10322353']
Bjackson... What is your ss? Also what made you choose the driver compared to lets say the flex? Sorry if this has been asked
[/quote]

114 mph. The Vapor Pro was built for me when I arrived, I hit it well, and didn't try the Vapor Flex. Wish I had in hindsight, but I hit the Pro so well I was content and didn't feel like tinkering. Pure & Swanry both got fit into the Flex so check out their write ups for insights.

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1413855149' post='10322871']
Thanks for your feed back. Can't wait to see what you think after playing some rounds. I got a couple questions for you.
Did you go 3 WD speed and is that a 5 WD flex? What shafts in the FWD? Did you try the HYB? How great do the new wedges look in person? Did they talk about the wax that they will be shipping them in?
[/quote]

I'm going into a Flex 3 wood (after trying both Flex and Speed) and Flex hybrid (after trying Flex and liking it). They only had stock stiff shafts available which were far lighter and softer flex than I game so I can't give a huge amount of feedback yet. Mine should be arriving somewhat soon?

The new wedges looked great, though I saw them for all of 15 seconds. They didn't bring up how they would be packaged to keep them fresh. Some big secret for now I suppose.

[quote name='Paranorml' timestamp='1413857565' post='10323209']
Bjackson,

Nice review and pics. This questions goes for you and all others there; have any of you played/hit the Cally Razr MB's? If so, how does forgiveness in your opinion compare with the Vapor Pro's? Thanks
[/quote]

I do not have experience with the new Callaway Razr MBs. I'm coming off Titleist 714 MBs though, so my reviews and comparisons will be based off that.

[quote name='WillWatt' timestamp='1413859204' post='10323371']
Hate to sound like a broken record but any info on Rory 006 coming to retail? :(
[/quote]

We asked a lot. They hinted a lot. Everything pointed towards something around The Masters.

[quote name='zonacats23' timestamp='1413862281' post='10323697']
Sorry if this has been asked and if it's off topic....but did anyone ask about the TW 15?
[/quote]

I brought this up on the bus going to the golf course. I was told it looks good and is a step away from what this year's looked like. Should be lower cut and look better with shorts. That's about all I got.

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413863052' post='10323757']
Very nice piece Ben. I look forward to your after thoughts once you have had more time with the clubs. Can you comment on how easy it was to control the trajectory with the irons?
[/quote]

So far trajectory control is great. I can hit high long irons, knock it down, and work the ball. As of right now I'm more impressed with the performance of irons than the driver. I think I need to play with the driver lofting up a degree, maybe a different shaft is the solution? Don't think I'm spinning it enough, feels like the ball is falling out of the sky. Irons are money.

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1413863426' post='10323787']
I may have missed something in one of the previous pages, it appears that some of the weight positioning and spin numbers are similar to the SLDR. Was there any talk about having to go with more loft with these drivers?

Scott, I would love to know what you loft is, since your swing speed is closer to mine.
[/quote]

I think I need to try playing with the loft of my Vapor Pro, bumping it up from 8.5 to 9.5. Spin is too low IMO, reminds me of my Razr Fit Xtreme which was very low (too low) spin for my swing.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1413865204' post='10323937']
Did anyone ask If the new RZN black are the same as last years other than color or is there any other improvements.
[/quote]

Same as last year. I believe (but could be wrong) that golf balls need to be or are on a two year cycle.

[quote name='Josh L.' timestamp='1413865395' post='10323955']
Curious how the vapor irons feel in terms of softness. I would have a hard time getting rid of the Mizuno irons that have been in my bag for years but the new Vapor line looks intriguing enough to give it a serious look.
[/quote]

Not too soft, not too firm. By no means butter soft and by no means clicky. Just right.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1413866235' post='10324009']
Nice write up Ben! Who is that long neck Method for that Mike Taylor is welding? I would kill for that putter.
[/quote]

Thanks buddy. No clue who the putter is for.

Awesome reviews. Anyone disappointed you guys didn't get an actual "fitting"? It'd be killing me to not have tried everything and I'd have to go Pure style and do my own shootout.

Tai, any idea what max height usually is or what it was on that shot with the nike? I've gotten used to a higher "window", I may need a 13* to get the ball in the air! I see 100-110 feet usually. Also assuming that descent angle is jacked up due to the wind. Agree with SS, touch higher launch will probably end up being so good.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413867551' post='10324089']Phew.. [b][size=6][color=#99ff00]REVIEW UP![/color][/size][/b][/quote]

Sorry to ask but where is it posted? Is it its own thread?

Titleist 910 D2 - GD AD DI6
Titleist 917 F2 16.5* - GD AD DI7
Titleist 620 MB 4-P DGS300 
Titleist Vokey SM7 
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
ProV1x

[quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1413892639' post='10324619'][quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413867551' post='10324089']Phew.. [b][size=6][color=#99ff00]REVIEW UP![/color][/size][/b][/quote]

Sorry to ask but where is it posted? Is it its own thread?[/quote]

Back on page 1, one of the first few posts.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

Great reviews so far guys.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Great reviews guys! I noticed that the pictures of Tiger's irons had a grey swoosh. Is that what he will be gaming or will he be using the volt vapor pros?

Titleist TSi 3 8 Ventus Red 6X

Titleist TSi 2 16.5 Ventus Red 9X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3 AMT White X100

Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-9 MB AMT White X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 48F/52F/56D/60 AMT White X100/DG TI S400

Vokey Wedgeworks 60 Low K DG TI S400

Byron Morgan 612

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='Dat_Dude' timestamp='1413898268' post='10324993']
Great job fellas. Quick question. Did you happen to see or notice any special grips that have the VOLT color on them? I ordered the VPC and had them put the grips loose in the box in case there was something coming. Ideally I would love a NDMC with some Black or White/Volt combo.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Great minds think alike! In our last breakout session that exact grip was mentioned. I feel having that option would add a fine detail to set the product line over the top.

Tai and Swanny,

Awesome reviews guys! Makes sense you get selected since you write detailed reviews and are always providing feedback on gear and helping people out on here.

I think a big takeaway I got from the reviews is the approach nike is taking. They have admitted and accepted their mistakes, learned from them and made better products. I think they are also changing the way golf equipment is marketed. They are taking their football, basketball, etc. approach and applying it to golf. Just like the guys going to the oven, nike has people that can sign up as testers for various products and provide feedback. But it's also a way for cheap, effective marketing. They understand the power of word of mouth. I think it's the golfer that needs to adapt to this new brand of marketing, product offerings, etc. Like Swanny said, golfers are athletes and should be treated as such.

The Oven seems like an awesome place. I am really looking forward to hitting the flex and pro drivers.

Would anyone be able to compare the blade irons to Miura blades? I don't need a new set yet but these Vapors are the first irons that have caught my attention in about 7 years.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Great review guys!!! Pure can you compare the Flex to your experience so far with the 915? Is the Flex more D3 like or is it closer to your SLDR due to the low spin?

Ping G400LST 10* Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3x
Callaway Epic Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 765 Tour Spec X
Taylormade P790 UDI
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM6 50*/Nike Engage SS 55*/TM Hi-Toe 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413870476' post='10324173']
[quote name='zonacats23' timestamp='1413862281' post='10323697']Sorry if this has been asked and if it's off topic....but did anyone ask about the TW 15?[/quote]

Yes, they said pics should start surfacing soon.. Also they should be [b]lower cut[/b] than previous. Didn't get much more than that..
[/quote]
[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1413882628' post='10324365']
[quote name='zonacats23' timestamp='1413862281' post='10323697']
Sorry if this has been asked and if it's off topic....but did anyone ask about the TW 15?
[/quote]

I brought this up on the bus going to the golf course. I was told it looks good and is a step away from what this year's looked like. Should be lower cut and [b]look better with shorts. [/b]That's about all I got.

[/quote]

AWESOME news. love the shoe, but this was the main reason I could never pull the trigger buy a pair. I rarely wear pants to golf and they look funny to me in shorts. Can't wait for the pics leak

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Rogue Silver 110x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 13*, Speeder 757x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 19*, Speeder 757x
Callaway Alpha 815h, 21*, Velyix Rome 988x
Apex 4-6/Apex Pro 7-PW, DGX100
Tour Grind 52/60, Odyssey Protype #3

Tai,
Would you say that the Flex felt more like it popped off the face (covert tour 1.0) or like it really compressed the ball with a softer feel?

What are your thoughts on the ball (if you played it on course)?

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413900457' post='10325177']
[quote name='Dat_Dude' timestamp='1413898268' post='10324993']
Great job fellas. Quick question. Did you happen to see or notice any special grips that have the VOLT color on them? I ordered the VPC and had them put the grips loose in the box in case there was something coming. Ideally I would love a NDMC with some Black or White/Volt combo.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Great minds think alike! In our last breakout session that exact grip was mentioned. I feel having that option would add a fine detail to set the product line over the top.
[/quote]

Exactly what Swanry said, they are experimenting with a few things in the NDMC line. BUT, if you want something now, the Vapor Pro woods have a grey tour wrap with Volt accents.

[quote name='BoomerSooner214' timestamp='1413901614' post='10325295']
Great review guys!!! Pure can you compare the Flex to your experience so far with the 915? Is the Flex more D3 like or is it closer to your SLDR due to the low spin?
[/quote]

I haven't hit the D3 yet, and only have a few swings in with the D2 so I can't really comment yet. The Flex seems much more refined than the SLDR, both in looks and feel, it is also lower in spin and I gained 2 mph ball speed. The ability to really fine tune the club is really compelling to me, as long as forgiveness is there, this one should be a really solid driver for me. What I saw on the course has my really excited to get my driver in hand an on my home course. Neither Covert driver made it past the honeymoon stage, this one is still TBD, but I LOVE what I am seeing so far. The SLDR has been a monster, and one of the best drivers I have had in a while. If the Flex does beat it, I will be a very happy man.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413901961' post='10325345']
Tai,
Would you say that the Flex felt more like it popped off the face (covert tour 1.0) or like it really compressed the ball with a softer feel?

What are your thoughts on the ball (if you played it on course)?
[/quote]

I felt like I was really compressing the ball, but the ball was coming off really fast with a really penetrating ball flight. We used a Volt colored RZN Black on the course, the ProV1x will still be my ball. We used white RZN Blacks during the range session, they are good balls, I'm just a ProV1x guy these days.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1413890267' post='10324525']
Awesome reviews. Anyone disappointed you guys didn't get an actual "fitting"? It'd be killing me to not have tried everything and I'd have to go Pure style and do my own shootout.

Tai, any idea what max height usually is or what it was on that shot with the nike? I've gotten used to a higher "window", I may need a 13* to get the ball in the air! I see 100-110 feet usually. Also assuming that descent angle is jacked up due to the wind. Agree with SS, touch higher launch will probably end up being so good.
[/quote]

Personally, I'm not disappointed in anything. Keep in mind this was a "media" event, some guys didn't even golf or bring clubs and were being put through the same process as us club fanatics. So, it's important to shift your perception of this event from a "Trackman Shootout/Fitting" type thing to a "Media Event". I feel that we could have used more time during the "fitting" portion of this, but we were also [i]supposed[/i] to only be testing woods. We had full bags and we all wanted to hit the new stuff. I felt that we were able to dial the driver in pretty well - I do wish I had better numbers to bring back to you all, but you get the gist of what was going on from the numbers provided. Plus, I can always get more numbers and compare them to other drivers (915, DBD, SLDR) as I plan on doing anyways. Not sure your preferred windows, but it looked just fine for me, a little lower than the SLDR with lower spin, and I have room to adjust either way once I get it out in play.. after the 9 or so holes we played at Shady Oaks, I can say the ball flight looked just fine out there.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ