2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1442874764' post='12346616']
[quote name='neilcsd' timestamp='1442872077' post='12346394']
The thing you said about the shaft going through flex cycles reminded me of something. Every once in a while I'd put a good swing on the ball, but the sound of the ball coming off would be more of a metallic snap, kind of like you'd expect if you hit an extreme toe shot. Except, it wasn't off the toe. Ball flight would be wonky. You think those shots can be explained by this? I am guessing that one "flex cycle" is what's ideal, and that based on the info you have you agree that the 120S is way too soft for me?

Thanks!
[/quote]

IMHO, because you were able to play KBS Tour in X, you're definitely a candidate for 120X, and you might even be a candidate for 120TX. It might require some testing to be sure.

In the first 10 pages of this thread, Dscvrr St Louis posted about his having tried the 120TX, coming from C Taper S+. He reported having success with them. Later in the thread, I believe he reported taking a shot with the 130 as well as the new 125. Don't remember which flexes in each, it might be listed in his sig (I think page 6 is a good starting point to see his comments).

I'm not sure about the snap sound you're talking about, but a funky result is definitely in play for shafts too soft. Something I know a bit too much about, LOL.
[/quote]

This has probably been answered a few times...but what's the diff between 120x and 125x?

Really appreciate the answers!

[quote name='neilcsd' timestamp='1442871848' post='12346352']
Yep, that's the 120s. And oddly enough - I had a run of hosel rockets this past Friday that caused me to walk away from the bucket I was just starting and I haven't touched a bucket since then out of fear. I had no idea what the heck was going on - everything felt great until the ball jumped hard right on me.
[/quote]

This is the [u]exact[/u] same thing that happened to me with the 120S. I detailed the experience a few pages back.

I hit several great shots...then BOOM...out of nowhere I hit hozzler after hozzler. I hadn't hit a hozzler in years, BTW as my normal shot is center-toe area.

I gave the 2nd bucket I had to a kid and his dad,, and I just went home for the day.

Really strange, and ironic that the same thing happened to you.

I wonder if the ultra-soft flex in the hands causes a compensation later in the swing for some folks?

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1442934752' post='12349962']
[quote name='neilcsd' timestamp='1442871848' post='12346352']
Yep, that's the 120s. And oddly enough - I had a run of hosel rockets this past Friday that caused me to walk away from the bucket I was just starting and I haven't touched a bucket since then out of fear. I had no idea what the heck was going on - everything felt great until the ball jumped hard right on me.
[/quote]

This is the [u]exact[/u] same thing that happened to me with the 120S. I detailed the experience a few pages back.

I hit several great shots...then BOOM...out of nowhere I hit hozzler after hozzler. I hadn't hit a hozzler in years, BTW as my normal shot is center-toe area.

I gave the 2nd bucket I had to a kid and his dad,, and I just went home for the day.

Really strange, and ironic that the same thing happened to you.

I wonder if the ultra-soft flex in the hands causes a compensation later in the swing for some folks?
[/quote]

I dunno what it was but man that was some scary stuff. It was like the previous 3 years of hard work had never happened. What shaft did you end up with?

I still haven't hit balls and for me to go 4 days without hitting is unheard of. I think I might stop by the Scotty shop in Encinitas today and putz around, then MAYBE go hit a small bucket. What sucks is I'm playing Torrey this Thur and I know this is going to be in my head the entire time.

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1434551841' post='11768586']
Gents...there's something going on in-between my ears.

[color=#282828]I carded a 79 on Saturday...12 GIR...not too shabby for this old man...got home from the course and saw a box on my front porch.[/color]

[color=#282828]Well, its some shiny Nippon Modus3 120 Stiff shafts...did I mention I just hit 12 GIR?[/color]

[color=#282828]Of course I had to drop them in my Mizzys that day b/c 12 freaking GIR isn't enough for anybody...right?[/color]

[color=#282828]I go out at 6:00 AM on Sunday, get (2) Large buckets....hit the first (2) balls just fine...then proceeded to work through a large bucket hitting hosel...after hosel...after hosel...No kidding, one after the other. I gave the other bucket to a kid and his dad that just got there.[/color]

[color=#282828]I thought it might just be a fluke...went out the next morning with another bucket...hosel...hosel...hosel...hosel.[/color]

[color=#282828]Did I mention that I hit 12 GIR?[/color]
[/quote]

[quote name='neilcsd' timestamp='1442936974' post='12350230']
I dunno what it was but man that was some scary stuff. It was like the previous 3 years of hard work had never happened. What shaft did you end up with?

I still haven't hit balls and for me to go 4 days without hitting is unheard of. I think I might stop by the Scotty shop in Encinitas today and putz around, then MAYBE go hit a small bucket. What sucks is I'm playing Torrey this Thur and I know this is going to be in my head the entire time.
[/quote]

The quote above is my experience from mid-June.

I had no idea where they were coming from, and it got in my head pretty good.

I ended up with DG Pro S300. They just work better [u]for me[/u].

The 120S are great feeling shafts, and we have a >70 page thread here of success stories.

So, they obviously work for most people. However, it's interesting that you had the same experience re: hozzlers that I had though.

From what I've read, and from my limited experience swinging the 120 myself, it seems one should think about moving to the next flex stiffer in the 120, compared to whatever it is they're coming from.

I've had a few swings with 120 stiff, and felt I had to back way off of the shaft, because of the considerable stiffness. I'm not the smoothest swinging dude on the planet, which may be a factor in that. :)

FWIW, I'm coming from using DGX100 and/or DGS400, and the old stepped Precision 6.5, depending on the set in play that day.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='neilcsd' timestamp='1442896609' post='12348472']

This has probably been answered a few times...but what's the diff between 120x and 125x?

[/quote]

120 will feel softer, launch lower initially but rise quicker and higher apex. 125 will feel stiffer and launch medium, with mid spin and a flatter/lower apex. 120 is for smooth transition people, less wrist action, early release caster types. 125 is for converted DG players looking for smoother feel with similar launch & spin. 125 is friendly to both mid and late releasers.

The 120 is love / hate. You love it or you hate it. I haven't met many luke-warm types about 120. A steel version of a Diamana White or Matrix Radix 7N.
The 125 seems to fit anyone. Very user friendly. The steel version of a Speeder 757, Diamana Blue, Aldila VS proto if you will.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1442955729' post='12352112']

[/quote]

120 will feel softer, launch lower initially but rise quicker and higher apex. 125 will feel stiffer and launch medium, with mid spin and a flatter/lower apex. 120 is for smooth transition people, less wrist action, early release caster types. 125 is for converted DG players looking for smoother feel with similar launch & spin. 125 is friendly to both mid and late releasers.

The 120 is love / hate. You love it or you hate it. I haven't met many luke-warm types about 120. A steel version of a Diamana White or Matrix Radix 7N.
The 125 seems to fit anyone. Very user friendly. The steel version of a Speeder 757, Diamana Blue, Aldila VS proto if you will.
[/quote]

@Mark I might have missed this but are you affiliated with Nippon? Just curious because you are so passionate about everything Nippon steel. Not knocking it, I'm a Nippon fan, too.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='TitlePured' timestamp='1442964633' post='12352846']

[/quote]

[/quote]

@Mark I might have missed this but are you affiliated with Nippon? Just curious because you are so passionate about everything Nippon steel. Not knocking it, I'm a Nippon fan, too.
[/quote]
No I am not affiliated directly with them. I have been playing the Modus proto's for about 5 or 6 years now and have met a few times with the tour rep when the tour is at Riviera and I pick his brain. I have also met some of the other company reps and chatted with them.

I had been hunting for an iron shaft my entire career. I started with DG, went to PX, tried KBS Tour, TTTC, DGX700, Black Gold, etc. Couldn't ever find what I wanted which was heavier and lower launch. I stumbled upon the 2S14 proto's and used those for about 2 years. It's like a S400 on steroids, closer to 140+grams. I switched between S and X for another 2 years or so. Tried C10 and ORA which are slightly lighter weight and still roughly similar profile. Liked those. Kept up my pursuit and decided I liked Nippon feel so I set out to try all the proto's to try and see which fit me and help others identify what the proto codes meant. Ended up trying some 2G18 proto's which were the Tour130's in Stiff. Used those for a year. Tried 130X, too stiff. Wound up talking with Nippon about my endeavor and finally settled on Tour125's in Xflex which I've had since February now. I may go 125X hard-stepped soon. I have tried many other Nippons. I tend to like heavier and lower so the ST Proto / Tour105, Tour120 (Called the DP in proto form) and the 2F15 proto didn't really suit me. But I hit them. I also hit the 1050 and 1150GH Tour, Super Peening Orange and Super Peening Blue before.

I'm excited for them to keep tinkering. I think they manipulate a shaft profile and weighting better than any company on the market and they play a bit of a mad scientist role in that they aren't afraid to do something unconventional just to see how it reacts and how players respond.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Seems the more I read the more confused I get. 120s are used by multiple players on tour or scratch and better players. I doubt either are the casting type. I've always read that late release players need shaft with stiff tip, exactly the 120 makeup. Now I'm reading early release casters fit into these. To add to confusion, I thought stenson played the 120s. I don't consider his tempo being smooth. I like the 120s, but tough to know for sure having never hit the other shafts, but just seems info on tempo, release, etc concerning these shafts is conflicting

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[/quote]

[/quote]

One more question for you...and then I'll leave you alone, I promise. REALLY appreciate everything!

So I went to a driving range today and one of the pros I know had a launch monitor, I got on it to see if I could see anything. One thing we both noticed right away was that my toe was down 3.5-4.5 degrees on EVERY shot. Given that I was hitting my 8i 170-175 (with a couple 180ers in there) on every shot, we both thought that this definitely confirmed that the 120S is way too soft for me. Also of note - this was with knockdown 8i shots, where I was just feeling tempo and not really trying to hit it as far as I usually do.

Given this, do you still think the 120x would be a good choice, or would the 120tx be better? Or go to 125 (what flex)? I know that without seeing me in person and getting real numbers it's REALLY hard to say...but if you had to give me a swag (scientific wild-a** guess) what would you say? I can't afford to spend $100+ on a true fitting at this point (last one was $150 and got me into this bit of a mess) and still afford the shafts. Nor do I have access to anyone here in SD that has MP54s with a ton of shaft options I could hit to test.

Thanks bud, truly appreciate it.

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1442969101' post='12353204']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Seems the more I read the more confused I get. 120s are used by multiple players on tour or scratch and better players. I doubt either are the casting type. I've always read that late release players need shaft with stiff tip, exactly the 120 makeup. Now I'm reading early release casters fit into these. To add to confusion, I thought stenson played the 120s. I don't consider his tempo being smooth. I like the 120s, but tough to know for sure having never hit the other shafts, but just seems info on tempo, release, etc concerning these shafts is conflicting
[/quote]

I'll take a swing at this if you don't mind. I am a Henrik Stenson fan and have been analyzing his swing as he is one of the best ball strikers over the last 2-3 years. Pete Cowen is his coach and they worked hard to return Henrik to top form 3 years ago. Pete has a very practical, whole- body approach to striking the golf ball. Henrik has one of the higher club head speeds on tour, but it is more so due to his size and strength than a fast twitch transition or a super late release. Henrik's swing is very athletic but balanced, gradual, and stable.

I'm not surprised he plays the Modus 120x. It's a great shaft for feeling the midsection load without being a noodle. The super stiff tip provides stability through impact for higher swing speeds. A great shaft especially if you are a tall player as the shaft has a higher balance point, keeping swing weight lower for over-length builds. The mid-weight yet stable profile is also great for players who need longer irons, keeping static weight closer to typical builds. as a taller player with a 38.5" 5 iron, I really like the shaft after the adjustment period.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

I thought Stenson Played the 130S.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1442978337' post='12354064']
[/quote]

He plays the 120x in 3i - Pw as well as his 52* and 58*. WITB link [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/290525/henrik-stenson-witb-2015/"]here[/url].

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

[quote name='3_Putt_Par' timestamp='1442979063' post='12354106']
[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1442978337' post='12354064']
[/quote]

He plays the 120x in 3i - Pw as well as his 52* and 58*. WITB link [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/290525/henrik-stenson-witb-2015/"]here[/url].
[/quote]

Thanks for posting. I don't know where I got my misinformation.

Edit - he seems to be an aggressive swinger. I would have thought he played something stiffer.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Surprised me too when I first heard it. I was sure he'd go for the 120 in a TX flex.

As for the 130, Sergio and Gary Woodland play that shaft in the x flex just to give you an example of the types of swings it fits.

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

It could be they really are TX, and someone somewhere has not realized the distinction?

I know, it's a bit of a reach, but it's possible.

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1443016857' post='12355504']
It could be they really are TX, and someone somewhere has not realized the distinction?

[/quote]
They don't make a TX flex 130. The X flex is rebar already. Hard-stepping will make it almost unplayable to anyone not named Zuback or Sadlowski.

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1443026374' post='12356376']

[/quote]
They don't make a TX flex 130. The X flex is rebar already. Hard-stepping will make it almost unplayable to anyone not named Zuback or Sadlowski.
[/quote]

I was referring to Stenson and the 120 X he's reputed to play. :)

[/quote]

I have read and heard him say on numerous occasions that it is the 120x. Nippon has been posting his results with the 120x shaft for 2+ years and it's always referred to as Modus 120 or Modus 120x. He is pretty open about his equipment choices and would most likely make the tx distinction.

It is possible but unlikely with him as he's had these shafts in the bag for along time, always referred to as Modus 120x. This sounds like a job for Greg?!

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='neilcsd' timestamp='1442973555' post='12353592']

[/quote]

[/quote]

One more question for you...and then I'll leave you alone, I promise. REALLY appreciate everything!

So I went to a driving range today and one of the pros I know had a launch monitor, I got on it to see if I could see anything. One thing we both noticed right away was that my toe was down 3.5-4.5 degrees on EVERY shot. Given that I was hitting my 8i 170-175 (with a couple 180ers in there) on every shot, we both thought that this definitely confirmed that the 120S is way too soft for me. Also of note - this was with knockdown 8i shots, where I was just feeling tempo and not really trying to hit it as far as I usually do.

Given this, do you still think the 120x would be a good choice, or would the 120tx be better? Or go to 125 (what flex)? I know that without seeing me in person and getting real numbers it's REALLY hard to say...but if you had to give me a swag (scientific wild-a** guess) what would you say? I can't afford to spend $100+ on a true fitting at this point (last one was $150 and got me into this bit of a mess) and still afford the shafts. Nor do I have access to anyone here in SD that has MP54s with a ton of shaft options I could hit to test.

Thanks bud, truly appreciate it.
[/quote]
I would say if like that softer feel of the 120S then 120X, maybe hardstepped. If you want a firmer feel, maybe 120TX, possibly soft-stepped once? If you want to feel more lag and more release in your shaft then 125X straight in. Tough to tell without seeing you in person and not talking more about feeling.

Stenson also plays Graff Blue X in woods... Which is light- mid weight and not rebar IMO. I've played them in my woods, plenty stiff but not the most difficult to load that I've tried.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1443026464' post='12356394']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
They are for sure 120X straight in. No hardstepping. Straight from Nippon. They all act like they can't believe it, and they also kind of remark as if the 120X is good for him why do so may amateurs want 120TX. I think as mentioned above, his whole body swing and his rotation don't put a lot of stress on the shaft. It all works in harmony better than anyone. Amateurs are usually more violent with the transition and lose power loading/unloading. So the 120TX gives them a more stable feeling.

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1443026673' post='12356422']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1443026464' post='12356394']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
They are for sure 120X straight in. No hardstepping. Straight from Nippon. They all act like they can't believe it, and they also kind of remark as if the 120X is good for him why do so may amateurs want 120TX. I think as mentioned above, his whole body swing and his rotation don't put a lot of stress on the shaft. It all works in harmony better than anyone. Amateurs are usually more violent with the transition and lose power loading/unloading. So the 120TX gives them a more stable feeling.
[/quote]

Stenson has a drill from Pete Cowen that Pete says he works on every day... Synchronizing his body coil which gives him a very stable and gradual load and release. No huge hip- rip leveraging like Rory or severe lag like Sergio to build speed. See Pete's Spiral Staircase drill https://youtu.be/hS6ZTcN2Zc4

I've played the tx... It's a similar profile to the x, but heavier and Very Very tip stiff. Went back to the X as I liked the weight and predictable load in the middle.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

I have just purchased a set of Nippon NS Prototypes and from what I've heard they are the same as the 105's (just different name and made back in 2010.) Long time DG R300 user. I have never had a shaft hit so straight. I'm not one to pump someone's tires but they are worth the coin. Shot shape was much of the same as is distance. Where Nippon has done it right is in the response and smoothness of the shaft. To me and my swing, they are heads above anything I've tried, and I basically live at Modern Golf lol. Hope this helps.

R510tp speeder 757tp
vsteel 3w t/s graphite design purple ice
vsteel 7w tour ad-mt
wilson fg59 dgpro R300 4-pw
vokey oil can 52/56/60 nippon super peening orange
scotty cameron circa 62 no.1

[quote name='bellsy13' timestamp='1443098804' post='12360898']
I have just purchased a set of Nippon NS Prototypes and from what I've heard they are the same as the 105's (just different name and made back in 2010.) Long time DG R300 user. I have never had a shaft hit so straight. I'm not one to pump someone's tires but they are worth the coin. Shot shape was much of the same as is distance. Where Nippon has done it right is in the response and smoothness of the shaft. To me and my swing, they are heads above anything I've tried, and I basically live at Modern Golf lol. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

You would have the Modus ST then. Those were are the protos of the 105. B Haas, H. Stenson, Sergio, Jimmy Walker? and a couple of other pros use them.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Bill Hass indeed plays the [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/276495/bill-haas-winning-witb/"]ST Proto, aka 105[/url].

However,

Henson plays [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/290525/henrik-stenson-witb-2015/"]120x[/url].

Sergio plays [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/282347/sergio-garcia-witb-2015-2/"]130x[/url].

As for J. J. "Mr. Dynomite" Walker, he may have played the ST protos, but he's bagging the [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/104872/jimmy-walker-witb/"]DG ATM this year.[/url]

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

[quote name='DRRicks' timestamp='1443378845' post='12374200']
Did the 716 fitting this weekend and for me, the Nippon 120 was the real star of the day. I increased carry distance 5 yds with it and got 3 more degrees in decent. Love the feel and dispersion as well...night and day over my KBS Tour.
[/quote]Which of the 716's you fit into?

@therealping

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1443395570' post='12375276'][quote name='DRRicks' timestamp='1443378845' post='12374200']
Did the 716 fitting this weekend and for me, the Nippon 120 was the real star of the day. I increased carry distance 5 yds with it and got 3 more degrees in decent. Love the feel and dispersion as well...night and day over my KBS Tour.
[/quote]Which of the 716's you fit into?[/quote]

AP2, but I liked the CB a lot as well. I want to wait for the Apex Pro to come out before I make any decisions. Regardless of what iron, I'll go Modus 120.