2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Honestly I like the c tapers would like a little more feel though, so if I was to swap out for Nippons I'd be looking for something I could flight down and playing in the south/mid-Atlantic where it's generally soft reducing spin is always a goal.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Just shafted up some TVD's with 115 Wedge shafts. They feel lighter and more flexible than I was expecting. I am coming from KBS Hi-Rev S. I was assuming that the 115 was more for a stiff iron player. Maybe the 125 are more like an S400? Anybody hit either? Any thoughts?

Incredibly disappointed by the new 115 wedge shaft. I bought 3 from golfworks to put in my ping glides. 50,54,58. Only shafted up the 50 to test one out. Very short test.

FELT absolutely incredible, installed with a sensicore, was just butter. Best feeling steel shaft I've EVER experienced. I have hereditary arthritis in my hands so shock mitigation is absolutely critical for me.

The problem was ball flight and shaft stiffness, or rather, lack of stiffness. Extremely soft shaft. I'm a high swing speed, steep angle of attack "hitter". Baseball/softball background. Totally Unplayable for me. Trajectory was to the moon. Spin was off the charts. When you are sucking crappy range balls back off the target green in 36 degree weather with a 50 degree wedge at 135 yards, you have a REALLY soft, REALLY high lauching, REALLY high spinning shaft in your hands.. The guy in the stall next to me was marveling at the trajectory asking me how I hit the ball that high. LOL!! I thanked him for what he intended as a compliment, and told him that really wasn't what I was expecting with my new shaft.

Without exaggeration, the ball flight with the 50 was HIGHER than a standard full swing shot with my 58 using the standard Ping CFS Wedge shaft.

Needless to say, the Ping CFS Wedge shaft with sensicore is going back into the 50 tomorrow and I'm ending my wedge shaft experiment. It actually made me realize I'm not unhappy with the trajectory and spin of the Ping CFS wedge shaft. It May feel just a little harsh, but I can flight it up or down and the spin is pretty middle of the road. I never find myself really thinking I'm spinning it too much or too little.

I guess I was just a little bored and decided I needed to experiment. Lesson learned.

Now, all that said...if you need a high launching, high spinning, great distance, incredible feeling wedge shaft, then this baby is the one for you. I told the guys at golfworks that they really needed to consider editing their info on this shaft. It is described as "mid-low trajectory" on the website. Nope. Perhaps with slower swing speeds it reacts differently, but I found this description as far from the truth as one could imagine.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on the wedges. I've got the 130's in stuff in my irons. X flex in woods but currently have c taper s's in my wedges. May just go with the 139's in wedges also but am curious about the wedge shafts. Probably the 115's as I never really got along with s400's in my wedges and I think it was a weight thing.

I had similar thoughts as recent posts ITT that the 115 wasn't stable enough. Felt really good but performance was a step down for me. I went same as my irons in 52/56, 120x, and S400 in the 60.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Honestly I like the c tapers would like a little more feel though, so if I was to swap out for Nippons I'd be looking for something I could flight down and playing in the south/mid-Atlantic where it's generally soft reducing spin is always a goal.

If you like the performance of the 130s in your pw, I would put the same in your wedges...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

If you like the performance of the 130s in your pw, I would put the same in your wedges...

I would recommend the same.

You can also soft step the C-Tapers one or two times for a softer feel at the same weight.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Just got fitted for the Apex CF16 trying out about 8 different shafts and the Modus 130s had the best numbers and dispersion by far on the trackman

I've been playing S300 for years and my launch and spin were both measured a bit low with the S300 shaft

The Modus 130S improved both numbers into a good range according to the fitter, approx 7000rpm and 19 launch angle. with the 7 iron (31 deg loft)

I'm actually wondering if those numbers are a bit high? After reading up on this thread, I'm really tempted to try out the 125S but Callaway only offers the 120 and 130 as a custom option.

Any thoughts if I would be better off with the 125S?

Just got fitted for the Apex CF16 trying out about 8 different shafts and the Modus 130s had the best numbers and dispersion by far on the trackman

I've been playing S300 for years and my launch and spin were both measured a bit low with the S300 shaft

The Modus 130S improved both numbers into a good range according to the fitter, approx 7000rpm and 19 launch angle. with the 7 iron (31 deg loft)

I'm actually wondering if those numbers are a bit high? After reading up on this thread, I'm really tempted to try out the 125S but Callaway only offers the 120 and 130 as a custom option.

Any thoughts if I would be better off with the 125S?

Borrowed these from Zak's post on spin.

For me, 125 is this:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-11-at-11.09.56-AM.png

And 130 is more this:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-11-at-11.09.56-AM-1.png

But for me, 120 is this:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-11-at-11.09.44-AM.png

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Ok everyone, time to make good on my promises!! I have some clubs / shafts for you all to demo!! No more guessing, no more deciphering my tea leaves. Lets just get these puppies out there and you all can see and feel for yourselves. I have a 125X, 125S, 130S, 130X and 120X for starters. If we get a big response I'll go back to Nippon and beg for more!!

I'm have started a new thread. I'm thinking over in the pay-it-forward section. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1291684-nippon-shaft-testing-player-forwarding/

Big thanks to Nippon for helping us out! I'm excited to get these in your hands so you all can try and feel for yourself what I've been writing about. Maybe we'll need to strategize on a few new topics in the clubmaking, review or equipment threads so we can get comments on each shaft and comparison to your gamer shafts in one place!

Well, I finally was able to hit the 105x's HS once. After installing the shaft and putting the grips on I was not sure I was going to like them. However, after hitting them in my MP-68 5, 7, and 9 irons, I am a believer in these shafts! It was a little windy out today and I was hitting into a left to right cross wind of maybe 15mph. Now I have to admit my swing is a little bit rusty thank to all the snow we have got, but when I put a good swing on these shafts they rewarded me with a high piercing trajectory and wind had little effect on the shot.

For being a lightweight shaft, they feel very stable and I did not feel I had to overpower them, but I could step on if I wanted. I really wasn't focused on the distance I was hitting each shot, but they seemed to be a bit longer than my Apollo CWS(Titleist 710MB's) and x100's(Acer XF Pro) by a few yards on good swings. I cannot really speak to the stiffness of the shafts, but the hard stepped once 105x's felt to me like they were in between the x100's and the CWS. With the CWS being the stiffest.

I am playing 9 holes tomorrow morning so I will report back with those results. I chose an executive course where I will use the 5, 7, and 9 irons a lot, so it will be a good test.

I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone looking for a lighter weight shaft than the x100's. Great smooth feeling, high launching shaft!

I can't read thru all this. Play x100 tour issue right now and want to switch to something smoother and just a tad softer. 125 or 130 S?

The 125 is closer to DG, and if I'm correctly remembering everything I've read here, a touch softer.

The 130 is like Project X.

Such as either is like DG or PX, that is. Gross generalization and all that. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I can't read thru all this. Play x100 tour issue right now and want to switch to something smoother and just a tad softer. 125 or 130 S?

The 125 is closer to DG, and if I'm correctly remembering everything I've read here, a touch softer.

The 130 is like Project X.

Such as either is like DG or PX, that is. Gross generalization and all that. :)

So 125 stiff flex will play close to tour issue x100 but just a tiny bit softer ?

I just don't want to get 125 or 130 stiff and it be too soft. But tour issue x100 cut a half inch is prob too stiff. I like the flight tho. Just can't work it and lost a little distance.

125 X would be close to DGX. The 130 plays stiffer, a stiff would be a good flex to try, coming from DGX.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Just got a couple of wedges with these in them - heard good things about the WV series just wondering if there was anything different on the 'Tour Only' version or are they just weight sorted for tighter tolerances like the Tour Issue DGs?

Anyone have an info on these?

SIM2 9.0 - Black Tie 8M3 X
16.5* TS3 - Tensei Blue 70X
SIM2 Max hyrbid  21*- Tensei Blue 70X
Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 3 130x
MG2 50, 54 and 58 hi toe
Machine Fat Back 38"
TP5X

Just got a couple of wedges with these in them - heard good things about the WV series just wondering if there was anything different on the 'Tour Only' version or are they just weight sorted for tighter tolerances like the Tour Issue DGs?

Not sure on the tour only, but I recently installed the WV115 in a gap wedge. Most "movement" I have ever felt within a wedge shaft out of any I have tried on full shots, except maybe the DG spinner. Different feel over what I'm used to. Had it in the pitching wedge before and didn't have the same feel. Going to attribute the movement to the much higher BBTG measurement that is in the gap wedge. Worst case scenario, have some extra length on it, so it can be tipped a bit if necessary. Feel is subjective, but it gave more of a softer feel that more matched the feel of the irons. Some may like that, some may hate, if they notice the feel at all.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Over in Thailand Nippons are pretty much the only OEM shaft in most top of the line iron sets - not sure why.

Made in Japan, yes ? So being they're made there, a lot closer to Thailand, Titleist, among others, use em ???

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

This thread has finally wore me down! I have to try the Modus 3 130 x's.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

I feel 125X straight in is a "tad" softer. You could try 125X soft-stepped or 125S hard-stepped but I'd stick to 125X and then decide straight in for just a smidge softer or 125X soft-stepped for even a smidge softer than that.

There are 2 versions that say tour only. One says "WV125 TOUR ONLY" which is the old shaft in the new red graphics for promotional purposes on TV. One is an early version of the Modus Wedge which has "125S" on it (Means softer, ie. the new Modus Wedge is softer than the original WV125.) http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1126919-ns-pro-modus3-wedge/page__st__60__p__11386971__hl__+nippon%20+wv125s#entry11386971

Anyone compared the Modus3 120s to the C-Taper Lites by any chance?

C-Taper Lite to me is a solid feeling lighter shaft. Still a little boardy feeling, more than I'd like. The 120 is a much softer feeling shaft in your hands. Weight wise might be similar but to me the C-Taper is going to play almost in the middle of the Tour105 and Tour125 but with a boardier feel. More of a flatter trajectory with mid spin where the 120 tends to be a bit of a lower trajectory with more spin for a rising shot. Boils down to 120 probably spins more and feels WAY softer in your hands.

This thread has finally wore me down! I have to try the Modus 3 130 x's.

Do it!!! Would love to get some more opinions on flex, feel and flight of the 130X. I really wanted to like them, thought they'd be perfect. I usually like Sergio tour van left overs. But man was that thing stiff and shook my hands and elbows. I like to hit the ball thin, and the 130S was soft enough to help me elevate that thing shot well and filter out the clunky feel of one I got too thin. But the 130X, on my normal shots felt so firm. I tried a buddies in some Titleist 714 AP2' and they weren't as bad as I remembered when I first tried them. But on a full round, I think fatigue would cost me some yards on the back 9 with 130X. Just too stiff for me which my fast temp and late release is saying something.