2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

a few years Old JDM clubs v. brand new US clubs

sociojeje

I'm hunting for a new 3 wood after years of JPX-800.

I've always heard so much about how great a PRGR egg spoon is. I looked at the pictures of four egg models and it seems that the original 2009 shape would suit my swing type best.

Though it was a great club back then, can we still consider the club great?

In general, I believe the JDM models are much better than the US models in terms of quality and performance. But, how about old JDM v. new US?

For irons, I guess not much difference between the new ones and old ones since I still love my first legacy irons and nothing really beat them yet.

However, for metal woods, it seems that the performance seems to be better and better year after year although the USGA limit has been the same.

Having said this, how 2009 prgr egg spoon would stand against brand new US metal woods like G30 and 915? Or, in general, is it better to get a bit older JDM metal woods than recent US ones?

I would appreciate your valuable opinions!

BTW, how can those club makers still make better clubs given that the USGA limit has been the same? The COR limit has been .830 for long..

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kingarthur' timestamp='1416798995' post='10494607']
Is your opinion based on experience and numbers or a generalization? I've tried most if not all player oriented drivers and fw's the last few years, had very close results using identical shafts with JDM and USDM models. This year the BC+ was the best while last year I played the RC Pro.
[/quote]

Appreciate your input. I haven't tried metal woods toe to toe. I had a very bad experience with USDM callaway razr x irons before (the weights for clubs were very inconsistent thus made fitting a lot harder). After that I stayed with JDM irons. However, I still use cheaper USDM models for metal woods since I frequently change woods but not irons... Wish I could test some JDM models in this town before I buy those... Living in a small town has some disadvantages..

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1416802424' post='10494883']
JDM won't get you any better performance...The club which is fitted to your swing, athleticism, release, etc. will give you the best performance...JDM or USDM - doesn't matter...
[/quote]

Here we go again.....

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

The tolerances will be much tighter in a JDM product, but matching a shaft bend profile to your swing will be more important. The nice thing about JDM gear is that you don't feel like your product is out of date or too old 9 months after you buy it. I love JDM gear, but they are not magic, just made much closer to spec with good quality materials.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 13.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1416866379' post='10498063']
The tolerances will be much tighter in a JDM product, but matching a shaft bend profile to your swing will be more important. The nice thing about JDM gear is that you don't feel like your product is out of date or too old 9 months after you buy it. I love JDM gear, but they are not magic, just made much closer to spec with good quality materials.
[/quote]

I totally agree with the tolerances. Those callaway and TM irons were unbearable. Almost random weight for each head which made so hard to balance the swing weight for each club. Maybe I was out of luck. Well, I might pull the trigger for 2009 or 2010 egg spoon.. Many of 5 year old USDM FW are still equal to the new ones. I guess why not for JDM if I like it. Thanks for your help.

Because fairway woods are generally intended to be used from various conditions and lies, what works best is very player/swing dependent. In my opinion, you need to try out various models from various manufacturers based upon needs and visual preferences, not where a company is based as many US and JDM clubs are manufactured in same facilities. Personally would not purchase club until could view how looks in-hand from address position prior to testing. Fairways are designed to help maintain a certain distance gapping in bag, if a club reliably allows you to do so, date and location of manufacture is immaterial. One further piece of advice, do not ever get rid of a reliable fairway in pursuit of "better" by a few yards as that can be a slippery slope that many here have slid down before.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Funny, my fairways are traditionally the oldest clubs in my bag. Like wedges, I don't like to mess with them much, and I also think there is a lot to be said for knowing a specific club well. I am better with a wedge I know well, than a wedge that may be technically better I do not know. I think fairways are similar boat.

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1417668516' post='10540593']
Because fairway woods are generally intended to be used from various conditions and lies, what works best is very player/swing dependent. In my opinion, you need to try out various models from various manufacturers based upon needs and visual preferences, not where a company is based as many US and JDM clubs are manufactured in same facilities. Personally would not purchase club until could view how looks in-hand from address position prior to testing. Fairways are designed to help maintain a certain distance gapping in bag, if a club reliably allows you to do so, date and location of manufacture is immaterial. One further piece of advice, do not ever get rid of a reliable fairway in pursuit of "better" by a few yards as that can be a slippery slope that many here have slid down before.
[/quote]

Yeah.. I agree.. But you know.. I somehow want to challenge myself as I become too complacent with my 3 wood. Well.. maybe you are right.. but at least I will try some JDM woods.. Hopefully that doesn't hurt me much..

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1417698687' post='10541323']
Funny, my fairways are traditionally the oldest clubs in my bag. Like wedges, I don't like to mess with them much, and I also think there is a lot to be said for knowing a specific club well. I am better with a wedge I know well, than a wedge that may be technically better I do not know. I think fairways are similar boat.
[/quote]

I don't know why I'm messing with my wood/hybrids so many times. My irons will be staying in my bag for a while.. But even if i hit way better with wood/hybrids in general, I want to change them a lot more often. Probably, my lack of confidence in iron swing made me stick to one thing i hit well. But since i hit other wood/hybrids very well, I feel like trying many as it doesn't take long to get adjusted... I'm now between PRGR and RC BBD...

I don't like the new egg's...2011 was perfect for me...still go back to those when things go off kilter and can get around the course just fine w a punchy little bandaid swing...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='freehb' timestamp='1418002929' post='10559729']
I don't like the new egg's...2011 was perfect for me...still go back to those when things go off kilter and can get around the course just fine w a punchy little bandaid swing...
[/quote]

After researching a bit, people don't seem to like the newer eggs. I'm searching for a good deal for older ones with fubuki s shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1419189504' post='10624965']
I play the Egg HD with a Fubuki shaft. Probably the best FW I've used. Can be had for around 250 slightly used.
[/quote]

After pondering and having a chance to try one, I just got new egg 2013 with M-43. I'm excited try it when the weather gets better! Hopefully I don't have to put a fubuki in later :)

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1417668516' post='10540593']
[/quote]

Very true! Still playing my old trusty Epon FW, very loyal and always perform! Whereas tried to change my backup FW for a new FW, never fitted to my swing and end up ditching it! So in the hope of a few extra yards may not be the objective as finding a club fitted to your swing is critical.

JDM won't get you any better performance...The club which is fitted to your swing, athleticism, release, etc. will give you the best performance...JDM or USDM - doesn't matter...
[/quote] But....Craftsmanship does make a difference as most people have to look good while playing LOL

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

[quote name='Tiptx1122' timestamp='1419776890' post='10650601']
[/quote] But....Craftsmanship does make a difference as most people have to look good while playing LOL
[/quote]

An you get to tell people it cost more to get.

Kind of like a tour head.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got the 2011 Egg HD with a GD Tour AD - GT shaft in it. Sweet club. Almost point and shoot and so easy to hit off the deck. Have heard some people have trouble with topping it with the stock shaft, but I've never had that problem. They pop up every now and then on the BST and are worth checking out, especially if you can get them for a good price.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

• 2 weeks later...

Any older EPON especially Technica,,, the Yonex NanoV line (ryo models) yam tour 201, all the older Yamaha stuff really, older romaro 2-3 years, older ONOFF like the prospec utes or the 13 cb or Shinto, all of it is good...the list really goes on and on...the old handmade stuff...haha...shingawa-San hand grind...it's all good...Kasco, sexyo, tour stage from 2-4 years ago...all good...all gooooodddd...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='3_Putt_Par' timestamp='1426774812' post='11172703']
I've got the 2011 Egg HD with a GD Tour AD - GT shaft in it. Sweet club. Almost point and shoot and so easy to hit off the deck. Have heard some people have trouble with topping it with the stock shaft, but I've never had that problem. They pop up every now and then on the BST and are worth checking out, especially if you can get them for a good price.
[/quote]

They are just so easy to hit far..,with a little punch they go like a full swing with a real club. I personally think the '11 egglets were the pinnacle of the line...others performed bit just didn't feel right...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='sociojeje' timestamp='1416784855' post='10493417']
I'm hunting for a new 3 wood after years of JPX-800.

I've always heard so much about how great a PRGR egg spoon is. I looked at the pictures of four egg models and it seems that the original 2009 shape would suit my swing type best.

Though it was a great club back then, can we still consider the club great?

In general, I believe the JDM models are much better than the US models in terms of quality and performance. But, how about old JDM v. new US?

For irons, I guess not much difference between the new ones and old ones since I still love my first legacy irons and nothing really beat them yet.

However, for metal woods, it seems that the performance seems to be better and better year after year although the USGA limit has been the same.

Having said this, how 2009 prgr egg spoon would stand against brand new US metal woods like G30 and 915? Or, in general, is it better to get a bit older JDM metal woods than recent US ones?

I would appreciate your valuable opinions!

BTW, how can those club makers still make better clubs given that the USGA limit has been the same? The COR limit has been .830 for long..
[/quote]

3HT...still the best feeling, easiest to hit off the deck 3w that $ can buy....

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='old dog mike' timestamp='1427713429' post='11243897']
After trying virtually every mainstream woods I ended up getting Royal Collection driver, three and five woods, best move yet, you might also know these as Sonartec.
[/quote]

Never hit a RC driver, but the fairway woods are some of the most solid feeling clubs you can buy. Enjoy 'em old dog!

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

[i]I am better with a wedge I know well, than a wedge that may be technically better I do not know. I think fairways are similar boat.[/i]
[/quote]

It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

[quote name='p3ga' timestamp='1427884063' post='11259501']
[i]I am better with a wedge I know well, than a wedge that may be technically better I do not know. I think fairways are similar boat.[/i]
[/quote]

It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
[/quote]

And hopefully bacon wrapped.....mmmmm...bacon

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and