Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Dear Blade-Users readers,

I never thought this would happen to me, but....

...no, I haven't chucked all my blades away and replaced them with CBs. I've just really fallen for the FG62s in a big way, so much so that I actually think they are better than my Yoro MP4s, and from me that's saying something. The big difference is in the short irons. I haven't felt such confidence with short irons since I was hitting Titleist Tour models as a junior (they sort of set the standard for short irons for me, I suppose). The FG62s are more compact than the MP4s in the short irons, and I think that is what makes the difference. I can flight them high or low, cut or draw, and hit knock-downs with relative ease.

Makes me want to give the new Wilson blades a hit, but before that I'd like to try the FG100s. Honestly, though, I've eased off buying sets of irons. I need to shed a few, and I'd like to play more with the ones I really like.

That said, I did see a 3-PW set of black MP-69s in a shop today. Beauties, but didn't feel all that good, though that might have been down to the crappy balls in the shop.

• Like 2

Pretty frustrating to see Wilsons FG100 held their launch price. The only thing I never liked about Wilson was their extremely bright chrome. However, that's been like a trademark to them as all of their blades could signial the space station from glare for the last 5 decades.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

7hq9d5dv8e3r.jpeg

f65p909qokp7.jpeg

It has begun.....

Going Lamkin utx on mizunos. Perfect pro x cord on onoffs, and I opened the roddio package tonight, the color scheme is as hideous as expected from photos with blue/red/silver in that order from grip

Down...I think I need to prove the graphite experiment is real in the onoffs first, but I really want the small blades in the roddios but am super nervous with “not broke don’t fix” adage.

As you can see I did the 3 iron ore grip and trim. Just to have a control club to see how it SW etc. I mean the 3 is safest to make the litmus test so what the heck.

> @Bigmean said:

> but I really want the small blades in the roddios but am super nervous with “not broke don’t fix” adage.

>

Not to be the 'get off my lawn' guy, but as someone who has struggled with finding irons I loved and trusted, and reading your comments over time about your small blades.... I'd be nervous, too. Of course, you can always swap them back if you don't like, but me, I just think small blades and graphite is like Marilyn Monroe with Jerry Lewis.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Get with it old man!

No, I get you, I am not in a hurry, and I may not, like I said, I am going to play the onoffs and see. They have to be close enough to my set that it would be a good indicator. I also need to get more rounds in and see how the graphite really affects my back. So far the sorest I have been was from overswinging driver. That said the recoils left me feeling really good off a mat so far.

And by experiment I do mean like more than a few outings.

Took a few whacks this morning before work.

First swings and bad hits of morning felt less harsh, then not sure why but I swapped the 8 for 4 iron and flushed one 3/4 swing and just put it down and went to work.

Probably the best feeling contact with those clubs in a while, definitely softer than usual, it felt very graphite design...dispersion and shaft weight and all that we will see. I feel like 80g in that set is going to be biggest change of pace, This is going to be interesting.

I don’t like hitting my mp14s into my screen cause I oil them and don’t want more spots than tend to happen, but I am going to clean off few see what the numbers look like. I am a lowish medium hitter to start so I can handle some height. I had a gut feeling on 6 swings a higher flight may be in play but that is presumptuous At this point.

Played 9 holes with the FG62s again today. My iron play wasn't really on point today, but still hit some good shots. However, the best blade today was probably the putter. I put an Odyssey #8 into play for the first time since buying it a couple of years ago. Really impressed with it, and I made some good putts and came really, really close to making a few more. That's good, because the course I played today has tough greens with tons of break and a sadistic greenkeeper. 13 putts (15 if I count 2 from just off the green), and a 2-over 38.

• Like 1

Speaking of a new to the bag putter...

I finally succumbed yesterday; on my way home from work, I stopped at the 2nd Swing location in Minneapolis and bought a Ping Anser 3. Not an Anser Milled 3, but the original MgBr version.

Of late, I've been trending back to lighter putters. Part of that may stem from hitting a couple putts last year with my wife's putter, a MgBr AnserX.

The grip on the Anser 3 appears to be fairly new, so I'm going to take this to the course this afternoon, and we'll see what we'll see. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

So lucky to be close to second swing....at least the Edwin watts in palm beach gardens is spilling over with used sets, even saw some Callaway stensons in there last time.

With putting, obvious is that it is all personal and setup and what you can most consistently make a ball go where you are looking.....however that said, and ymmv on what is “fast” or “slow”, but typically lighter putters which I am generally not a fan are superior to use on slower greens and heavier putters on fast. Just an observation. There are also diminishing returns to being too heavy or light. I have had and extensively used a lot of putters on different greens and noticed for me at least the above.

That said, the be all end all of any putter is your ability to predict and repeat distance with feel and make it go on line with how you see it......and while that sounds like an Indian issue and is, there are maybe 4-6 putters of my 20 whatever I have that I feel like I could go and putt lights out with. Same Indian, same effort, even more will to make underdogs come through if any bias...hours and hours of round robin proven higher percentage winners, I am convinced half of it is lucking into specs that work best for you that you may not even be able to be “fitted” For.

> @Bigmean said:

> So lucky to be close to second swing....

It's also a curse, LOL. Having them right here is part of how I wound up blowing through over two dozen sets of blades in my first 8 years of playing golf.

> @Bigmean said:

> With putting, obvious is that it is all personal and setup and what you can most consistently make a ball go where you are looking.....however that said, and ymmv on what is “fast” or “slow”, but typically lighter putters which I am generally not a fan are superior to use on slower greens and heavier putters on fast. Just an observation. There are also diminishing returns to being too heavy or light. I have had and extensively used a lot of putters on different greens and noticed for me at least the above.

>

>

I'm with you on this. I used to think lighter putters were better on fast greens and heavier on slower, but I've come to realize the opposite is true.

My wife's AnserX was the most recent demonstration of that; we were playing somewhere north of us, the greens were a bit slower due to wet conditions (unable to mow for a couple days). I grabbed her putter on a few holes and found my speed control improved by quite a bit.

Which is how I now have an Anser 3. Funny how that is.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> Speaking of a new to the bag putter...

>

> I finally succumbed yesterday; on my way home from work, I stopped at the 2nd Swing location in Minneapolis and bought a Ping Anser 3. Not an Anser Milled 3, but the original MgBr version.

>

> Of late, I've been trending back to lighter putters. Part of that may stem from hitting a couple putts last year with my wife's putter, a MgBr AnserX.

>

> The grip on the Anser 3 appears to be fairly new, so I'm going to take this to the course this afternoon, and we'll see what we'll see. :)

I used an Anser 3 for years. I traded a Zing2 stainless I won in a Junior event for it on the putting green at Predator Ridge Golf club in Vernon BC (what a track that is!) I beat the living crap out of it in the shop at the little 9 hole club I used to play at almost daily, but the thing just always performed. I think it was stolen along with some ISI copper irons and an old S2H2 3-wood I used to play quite well with... After that I scooped up the Odyssey Rossie Mallet and that thing has been pretty snug in my bag ever since - but, really good score!

Baby's home, grass outside is flowering, so I can get a little height on the wedges without worrying about blading one in to a tourist and i am going to have a day at the range tomorrow with an assortment of clubs dying for the business.

• Like 1

> @Bigmean said:

> That said, the be all end all of any putter is your ability to predict and repeat distance **with feel and make it go on line with how you see it**......and while that sounds like an Indian issue and is, there are maybe 4-6 putters of my 20 whatever I have that I feel like I could go and putt lights out with. Same Indian, same effort, even more will to make underdogs come through if any bias...hours and hours of round robin proven higher percentage winners, I am convinced half of it is lucking into specs that work best for you that you may not even be able to be “fitted” For.

>

>

I've changed the way I set up, and that helps me with line. I put the ball further forward in my stance, and have my eyes over my putter. Before, I had the ball in the middle of my stance and my eyes over the ball. Anyway, this new setup helps me see the line better. I even tried putting the ball back in the stance. That worked OK, but ball forward is better, and feels more comfortable at address. The rest is getting the speed right, and I did today. My previous round, in which I putted awfully (38 putts), I just never got the pace of the greens. They were beyond slow.

I like having good putting rounds. They are rare for me.

> @FLgolfer16 said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > > After 15 years of playing without blades:

> > >

> > > 2rnovz00kw3u.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Are those super low-spin irons, or are the plastic wrappers still on? :p

>

>

>

> lol afraid to take plastic off

Until you do, you might have problems holding the greens....

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > > > After 15 years of playing without blades:

> > > >

> > > > 2rnovz00kw3u.jpg

> > > >

> > >

> > > Are those super low-spin irons, or are the plastic wrappers still on? :p

> >

> >

> >

> > lol afraid to take plastic off

>

> Until you do, you might have problems holding the greens....

Yeah I’ve always found blades to perform better without the plastic.

Just how long before they go from “can’t unwrap them, too beautiful” to “practical tools”? I had some Apex MB raws for a heartbeat. They never got to the “tool” stage, were always things of beauty. Sure do wish I had hit them better...

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Seeing the plastic still on those sticks is a memory trigger. I played in Columbus, in a GEA outing with dudes I knew from the chat we kept active there. A notorious club ho from Pennsylvania show up with new irons, with plastic on the grips as well as clubheads. I think they were Srixons, but unsure. He unwrapped each club only when he was to use it for a shot during the round. As I remember it, the 4 iron was the only iron that still had the plastic at the end of the round.

Good times. LOL

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > > @FLgolfer16 said:

> > > > > After 15 years of playing without blades:

> > > > >

> > > > > 2rnovz00kw3u.jpg

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Are those super low-spin irons, or are the plastic wrappers still on? :p

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > lol afraid to take plastic off

> >

> > Until you do, you might have problems holding the greens....

>

> Yeah I’ve always found blades to perform better without the plastic.

>

> Just how long before they go from “can’t unwrap them, too beautiful” to “practical tools”? I had some Apex MB raws for a heartbeat. They never got to the “tool” stage, were always things of beauty. Sure do wish I had hit them better...

>

Heh, that's how it is for me, even with some second hand sets. But once I start hitting them and liking them, I want to hit them until I wear them out.

Love that story NR...

Yeah, my small blades came with iron covers (still have maybe for onoff coppers when in garage??? Lol). And that lasted 1 round. By the turn the cart basket between seats and clubs had 70% of them strewn about and that was me trying my adhd hardest to use them. I remember going to get a club and seeing more covers in cart than in clubs and quickly deciding that this was never going to work. Oddly the more you like a club, the easier to get over beating them up some....it is the ones you don’t like and may end up for sale you need to baby....lol

• Like 1

Soooo, had a dinner thing last night, No monitor time, but I have hit through the bag in sneaking swings in here and there and for real now, more than my first report, the MP14s have never felt better...shafts are light, but hit next to the onoffs they don’t feel like when grab a graphite club at a big box difference...I am quite able to the center on them in a nice descending blow in half-3/4 swings so far and I can’t speak to flight or distance but wow....the recoils feel steel lively which started this, the GD AD feel, well they make my mp14s feel almost Vega like. It has the blade solidness but these are just smooth, not lively. I know this all is very unscientific and relative to users perceptions but They feel like new clubs. I know from rounds on sim that the recoils are very predictable like steel, these almost feel too smooth for them to not be a little “loose”, but we will see and that is certainly ok for this set of that is the case. Very fun feel, very nice upgrade to my old boys, for first time since I got my small blades I actually feel like wanting to play with Them....really they feel very Vega like, dense blade strike through a pillow sorta thing.

• Like 1

tshi7pfradt4.jpeg

p4i5zgzzuma5.jpeg

7p3jans5llrh.jpeg

For fun.....

So i am at the point where I could get a stupid expensive putter and be excited about it cause I know I can make putts, shaft up my new blades and be full of joy to the process to being able to experience them, but I am shafting up a sick driver and am feeling nervous and meh about it cause I know I can miss fairways with a driver made by god himself so what the hell am I going to do with this...this is different though, I just need myself to believe it.

This forum is maddening...

TM TD preferred - these are pretty awful but can’t be bothered to try and sell

TopFlite pro forged - recent purchase just put grips on they are sweet though

Miura MB001 - Chip Usher is building these right now, Modus120, first Miuras ?

Mizuno MP18 - ordered today, had to turn some 790s into something useful so...

I could probably benefit from a big ugly fat chunky head but, I cannot stand looking at them. Enjoying the JDM content though

Isaac

• Like 2

Issac those tm TD cast blades are what got me into blades. I think the 2-4 are hollow. Back when I had like 11 sets of irons a few years ago I had them for nostalgias sake, they are probably almost as much to ship as worth as you know lol. Sometimes I feel like I am being annoying on the JDM content so happy to hear that's not the case for at least everyone ?

Anyone here have any experience doing air compressor grips? I successfully removed the pures that I hate from my CBs, but reinstalling the the $3 MCCs (Dicks had a bunch of clearance MCC grips and I used a 20% coupon so I grabbed a few sets) I used some grip solvent to get them on as Air alone wouldn't cut it. I would love to be able to save and swap grips and now I can sell my almost new pures which is cool but still not sure how to out on right....

It's a bit disconnected, but those TM TD sticks are part of my journey to where I am now. A fellow MN golf nerd from GEA had wanted to try blades, ran into that set and gave them a go. He got good results with them, which led him to buying a set of the Golfsmith Professional Grind blades. He let me hit those a few times, led me to trying the MP-14s, which led me to buying my first set of Golden Rams. And here I am.

Don't remember much about the TD set, other than the long irons being hollow. Not sure I ever hit them.

> @Bigmean said:

> Issac those tm TD cast blades are what got me into blades. I think the 2-4 are hollow. Back when I had like 11 sets of irons a few years ago I had them for nostalgias sake, they are probably almost as much to ship as worth as you know lol. Sometimes I feel like I am being annoying on the JDM content so happy to hear that's not the case for at least everyone ?

>

> Anyone here have any experience doing air compressor grips? I successfully removed the pures that I hate from my CBs, but reinstalling the the $3 MCCs (Dicks had a bunch of clearance MCC grips and I used a 20% coupon so I grabbed a few sets) I used some grip solvent to get them on as Air alone wouldn't cut it. I would love to be able to save and swap grips and now I can sell my almost new pures which is cool but still not sure how to out on right....

I have a little tool to remove grips installed with tape/solvent - sort of like a doubled clothes hanger. Use a hypo casing without needle to inject a little solvent, slide the tool in, twist it around so the solvent can penetrate deeper. Takes about 2 minutes/grip to slide the grip off. Clean it out, dry it and reuse.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @Bigmean said:

> Issac those tm TD cast blades are what got me into blades. I think the 2-4 are hollow. Back when I had like 11 sets of irons a few years ago I had them for nostalgias sake, they are probably almost as much to ship as worth as you know lol. Sometimes I feel like I am being annoying on the JDM content so happy to hear that's not the case for at least everyone ?

>

> Anyone here have any experience doing air compressor grips? I successfully removed the pures that I hate from my CBs, but reinstalling the the $3 MCCs (Dicks had a bunch of clearance MCC grips and I used a 20% coupon so I grabbed a few sets) I used some grip solvent to get them on as Air alone wouldn't cut it. I would love to be able to save and swap grips and now I can sell my almost new pures which is cool but still not sure how to out on right....

I use the air compressor to put on all my grips. I just use blue painters tape and I will use a little grip solvent cause it just makes it easier. The absolute most important thing big is to leave a long tail on the painters tape for you to twist and plug the end of shaft. It helps tremendously with removal especially times when you remove the club head before removing the grips. When it dries it stays and if you want to blow them off again it's just like the pures. I use best grips so one layer of tape is all I need but you can put as many layers on it as you want.

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime