Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Don’t worry, dropped off at the polymer insert guy now! He is filling in the speed slots with the latest tech chartreuse colored energy releasing forgiveness pockets.

Dude, that “I am a high handicap and tried blades” thread is like flashbacks to how this started. It is just crazy how the largest part of the game the lower your handicap (mental) is just discredited. I mean, I am not even a die hard blades guy like people may think, like most here actually.

I am however so bad at driving the ball that this happened this evening....

q404szqa8i4p.jpeg

R7 was getting handily beat in distance and accuracy by my shingo 358 to that point though.....I am really shocked, I felt like I was going to be hitting R7 like my 3 wood and it just wasn’t the case.

> @Bigmean said:

> Don’t worry, dropped off at the polymer insert guy now! He is filling in the speed slots with the latest tech chartreuse colored energy releasing forgiveness pockets.

>

>

> Dude, that “I am a high handicap and tried blades” thread is like flashbacks to how this started. It is just crazy how the largest part of the game the lower your handicap (mental) is just discredited. I mean, I am not even a die hard blades guy like people may think, like most here actually.

>

> I am however so bad at driving the ball that this happened this evening....

> q404szqa8i4p.jpeg

>

> R7 was getting handily beat in distance and accuracy by my shingo 358 to that point though.....I am really shocked, I felt like I was going to be hitting R7 like my 3 wood and it just wasn’t the case.

That'll buff right out, **Biggie**.

I've avoided posting in that high-handicapper gaming blades thread, mainly because I don't have a dog in the hunt. I play what I like playing, but I'm not going to try and persuade someone else to play what I play, or what I think they should play.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> I've avoided posting in that high-handicapper gaming blades thread, mainly because I don't have a dog in the hunt. I play what I like playing, but I'm not going to try and persuade someone else to play what I play, or what I think they should play.

I wanted into that thread once or twice. I'm sorta shocked that people are still arguing this same old circle, and for page after page after page. Bored, I suppose. Or maybe they just haven't been down that road in its hundred previous iterations. Or maybe this thread, which precludes the debate, created pent-up angst.

Heil , I don't even know for myself what irons I like. It's driving me nuts. Every other club in the bag, I find what works, and it stays there for years. Maybe it's that I never really find an iron that works. Or maybe it's just that unsolvable conflict of aesthetic vs pragmatic in my own head.

I think it's that of all shots, a flushed iron is the most satisfying experience. And frankly, the least common. I drive the ball well (not long, but I'm long for my age), wedges, fw, putt. All pretty consistently good. If my iron play were on same level, I'd hit 8-10-12 GIR pretty consistently. I just can't figure it out. I'm going to go to a highly recommended fitter, outdoors, 90 minutes just on irons. I'd actually like to only have one set of irons (well, two. The Mac 1025M are like family). The P790 are ... weird. They are long, but some (a lot) is strong lofts. And low spin. But I bet I don't hit 5% of my shots flush with them. No clue why. Maybe shaft weight/balance. Maybe because I practice on mats and can't tell when I hit them fat. Maybe it's just the curse of the Bambino. Shoulda never traded the Babe.

Probably end up with Cleveland VAS. If I do, I'll post pics here. That'll get everyone drooling.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @Bigmean said:

> Not the confidence inspiring result I was looking for on the cusp of assembling some clubs I care a lot more about...but in fairness this shaft was a mess with loose ends of graphite I just cut with a razor blade. Meh

I wondered... thought maybe you overheated the shaft multiple times or something. I cut some cheap graphite shafts wrong years ago and had the same thing happen. Now I tape the area to be cut, use a chop saw with a fine tooth, sharp blade.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

>

> > I've avoided posting in that high-handicapper gaming blades thread, mainly because I don't have a dog in the hunt. I play what I like playing, but I'm not going to try and persuade someone else to play what I play, or what I think they should play.

>

> I wanted into that thread once or twice. I'm sorta shocked that people are still arguing this same old circle, and for page after page after page. Bored, I suppose. Or maybe they just haven't been down that road in its hundred previous iterations. Or maybe this thread, which precludes the debate, created pent-up angst.

>

I did, tried to convey something helpful, then just went snark (give what you get) on it. On some level that stuff is Eskimo's and Nomads talking about surfing. Even if your Spicoli himself, it's murky to convey because well you're Spicoli. Greater barrier is there's a conception that GIR is King stat and that a scratch player hits 13 greens a round, they don't it's 9-10 or that iron head determines it, it does not, quality of FIR is more determinant or that short game has little bearing when half the damn card is set aside for it. My kid ever takes up golf, he's learning from green back and tee forward. Driver, putter and wedge rule. You master those three, the #7i approach is cake with gads of or tech or not.

• Like 1

> @wmblake2000 said:

> I wanted into that thread once or twice. I'm sorta shocked that people are still arguing this same old circle, and for page after page after page. Bored, I suppose. Or maybe they just haven't been down that road in its hundred previous iterations. Or maybe this thread, which precludes the debate, created pent-up angst.

>

>

>

There is a portion of the Holy Warriors who have expressed disappointment / irritation / who-knows-what-else at not being allowed to troll this thread into the gutter, as happened with the previous versions. I'm guessing they're using that thread as their opportunity for such. No point in an attempt at real discussion.

I haven't bothered checking it out more than once. Saw the same old Bravo Sierra being posted, that was enough for me, haven't gone back.

And moving on....

After our golf season interruption blizzard, courses are starting to reopen for this weekend. I'll be able to play golf again, my second round of the season. Need to get to the range to rediscover a swing, after this disgustingly long forced layoff.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Anyone see the TW blades on taylormade site? $2000. I once hit someone’s 681t irons (whatever was thought to be the tw irons when with playing Titleist) and loved them.

$2000. Not in my wheelhouse these days! But frankly I’m an unabashed tiger fan boy and would get them for fun at a (much) different price point

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I caught that, but didn't give them more than a glance. I'm too cheap and too invested in Ram Tour Grinds to start looking at brand new blades.

I *did* just expand my Ping collection yesterday, bought an Eye2 driver and 3w off the fleabay. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

If you ever leave RAM you will never be able to live it down. May as well hit some Titliests with your new Taylor mades.....The day NR sells out to the TM (THE MAN) is likely the end of this thread...

I am sure the TM TW are cool, but I just can’t or don’t care. Look, if you are on the logical side of the crusade you already know that any penny you put into clubs past a $120 iron set is net gain zero strokes.....so with that I think as a group we all try to get the max ROI in what we each think is “cool” per dollar we each deem “ok” to burn on hobby.

Except high precision Japanese graphite iron shafts.....Everyone knows those will likely lower scores, increase distance and greatly decrease back and other pain. This is obviously a fact....or I wouldn’t be getting texts like these from wife after making final shipping and proxy fee payment....

sueqohra0vlt.jpeg

Also, props to Amex for sending text spending alert in actual currency denomination, making for hilarious wife reaction.

• Like 2

Had to do a quick dollar to yen check online :)

> @Bigmean said:

> If you ever leave RAM you will never be able to live it down. May as well hit some Titliests with your new Taylor mades.....The day NR sells out to the TM (THE MAN) is likely the end of this thread...

>

> I am sure the TM TW are cool, but I just can’t or don’t care. Look, if you are on the logical side of the crusade you already know that any penny you put into clubs past a $120 iron set is net gain zero strokes.....so with that I think as a group we all try to get the max ROI in what we each think is “cool” per dollar we each deem “ok” to burn on hobby.

>

> Except high precision Japanese graphite iron shafts.....Everyone knows those will likely lower scores, increase distance and greatly decrease back and other pain. This is obviously a fact....or I wouldn’t be getting texts like these from wife after making final shipping and proxy fee payment....

> sueqohra0vlt.jpeg

>

> Also, props to Amex for sending text spending alert in actual currency denomination, making for hilarious wife reaction.

I've learned to see thru cross-out. For those who can't, Biggie's wife wrote "for you, nothing is too good, I am so glad you got these shafts, they will make you happy and that's my only desire"

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @Bigmean said:

> Nard and wmblake on it.....

>

> It is just copper. Not sure how that will wear, dude was like “this is soft” I was like I hope so. They prepped them, they said they had to if they plated. I had no issues with that for what I was paying lol. For putters tho they are a value

They are Bitchin sweet. KC & you got me jealous on the copper thing.

> @wmblake2000 said:

> Anyone see the TW blades on taylormade site? $2000. I once hit someone’s 681t irons (whatever was thought to be the tw irons when with playing Titleist) and loved them.

>

> $2000. Not in my wheelhouse these days! But frankly I’m an unabashed tiger fan boy and would get them for fun at a (much) different price point

They are sold out. 2nd run delivers in September. Heavily pondering a buy but yeah, two large on irons is insane. Pretty certain lightly used will come up in 6 months. Tiger spec with S400 sounds just peachy.

It makes Baby Blades almost pedestrian in comparison. LOL

If only Titleist would release some special blade sets for $2k we could all agree are amazing?

$2k is probably actually fair considering what new clubs apparently cost (I have never bought a new set in my life, but word is they are pricey fro off the rack in the 1,000 range) so I mean double for a special T woods set is not really as insane as the actual number itself. I need to look these things up now....

> @Nard_S said:

> > @Bigmean said:

> > Nard and wmblake on it.....

> >

> > It is just copper. Not sure how that will wear, dude was like “this is soft” I was like I hope so. They prepped them, they said they had to if they plated. I had no issues with that for what I was paying lol. For putters tho they are a value

>

> They are Bitchin sweet. KC & you got me jealous on the copper thing.

>

If you got some shafts laying around, I'll mail you those copper macs and you can give them a go. Still have not shafted them up. Have no idea how they feel or how they wear. I'd prefer if someone gave those a go and reported back.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @Bigmean said:

>

> $2k is probably actually fair considering what new clubs apparently cost

I refuse to give in to those prices. That's NCW prices, and quite honestly, anything north of $1400 is going to mentally tip the scales for me to go that route regardless. If I had found a set I really liked that was $1699, I'd tell myself "if I'm really going to drop $1699 on an iron set, I'd rather spend an extra thousand and get something exactly how I want it".

Sorta like the approach of "it only costs $5, so why not" has probably cost me $15,000 by now :dizzy:

I have no middle ground. This irritates my wife to no end.

What is NCW? I am not putting it together...

They are forged and cnc milled, so new clubs finished like that in a limited release that is pretty understandable is all I am saying, not that I personally would do it. My line in the sand is $700, only my small blades crossed that plane, and I am a little bit worried I got carried away on the onoffs with the shafts and plating as they will clear that too.

If I were inclined to spend a lot on a forged and cnc finished set of heads I feel like Modart CBs would be my poison.

• Like 1

National Custom Works (Don White)

But yeah. I know the Modart you speak of. Beautiful set of CB's. I keep going back to the Eon Tour Pride M1/M2 irons. Would make a delectable little split set of irons. CB's in the low, MB's in the high. Yeah. That idea has been on my mind for over a year now.

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @Bigmean said:

> > > Nard and wmblake on it.....

> > >

> > > It is just copper. Not sure how that will wear, dude was like “this is soft” I was like I hope so. They prepped them, they said they had to if they plated. I had no issues with that for what I was paying lol. For putters tho they are a value

> >

> > They are Bitchin sweet. KC & you got me jealous on the copper thing.

> >

>

> If you got some shafts laying around, I'll mail you those copper macs and you can give them a go. Still have not shafted them up. Have no idea how they feel or how they wear. I'd prefer if someone gave those a go and reported back.

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @Bigmean said:

> > >

> > > It is just copper. Not sure how that will wear, dude was like “this is soft” I was like I hope so. They prepped them, they said they had to if they plated. I had no issues with that for what I was paying lol. For putters tho they are a value

> >

> >

>

> If you got some shafts laying around, I'll mail you those copper macs and you can give them a go. Still have not shafted them up. Have no idea how they feel or how they wear. I'd prefer if someone gave those a go and reported back.

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @Bigmean said:

> > >

> >

> >

>

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @Bigmean said:

> > >

> >

> >

>

Hey I would gladly shaft em up and put them through their paces.....full report as well???

> @Bigmean said:

> If only Titleist would release some special blade sets for $2k we could all agree are amazing?

>

> $2k is probably actually fair considering what new clubs apparently cost (I have never bought a new set in my life, but word is they are pricey fro off the rack in the 1,000 range) so I mean double for a special T woods set is not really as insane as the actual number itself. I need to look these things up now....

Haha. Titleist gets no respect in blade world.

In inflation adjusted dollars $2K is not super nuts, On Off has the new blade at that price, I'm smitten with them however shaft choice does not include S400 which may or may not be bad but I know and love S400 so TW irons get some schwing from me and have tons of resale swag.

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @Bigmean said:

> > >

> >

> >

>

Thank you, it's highly generous but I have to pass because I have at least 4 sets to shaft up and I can't even get my taxes done till 11:30 pm on the 15th. I'm king of day late, it would be 2222 by the time I do it. I got the SP Blues in, you think a re-shaft of any one of the blades slated would hit my radar? Nah!

Btw, SPB's look awesome, they have a lot of steps but the 1st one is quite far from hosel side. Every shaft is within .2 grams of each other. Weight of 125g's nutted.

> @Bigmean said:

> What is NCW? I am not putting it together...

>

While you were on hiatus, Peanuts Daddy posted some pics of his new custom built National Custom Works irons (blades and CB) - by the guy who started Scratch golf. Easyyy also posted some pics elsewhere of his. There are a couple of threads focused on them. Pricey, easy to get into $3k range. But you determine precise specs and they build it to them... I thought very seriously about getting a set but decided I had no clue how to really think thru the level of detail that makes this kind of buy special. Heck, i don't even know if I like blades or CBs, so how in the world am I going to design a set of heads?

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W