Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Only evidence I can find of the original Tiger Woods Edition from Nike - a set selling on Gumtree in the UK for £2k...

ih4q5nc8woy8.png

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I could use some Ford blades. Hear they really have a lot of horsepower.

> @SuperBombin said:

> Ordered some z forged in $ taper x.

>

> Came down to mizunos vs z forged. Also tried Titleist 718 mb and tm 730. Wasn’t expecting to end up with z forged but it felt the best and dispersion and control as well as the feel was the beast. First time with blades.

I love my Z-Stars as a ball, and Srixon offer some great shafts at a good price point. Put some pics up once they come in. :)

> @Bigmean said:

> Speaking Of tiger and Titleist, Nard didn’t you have the 681s? I seem to recall you stealing a set in auction a while ago, or someone here?

Still do. Got them as a BIN on the flea for sub $500. They were never hit. Bought on a whim, figure I could flip but then tried the PW on the range and hit the 125 stick....twice. Great clubs, good is an insult. The real charm, to them is that the build is old school. Grips are corded 65g, hickory dowels & weighty heads. The fact that mine have Rifle 7.5 adds to the old school cool. Sledge hammer heavy but the shaft is not rebar the way pre-1985 shafts often were. I give a huge endorsement to them if they are factory built and down to possessing OEM grips. There's a lot of these that come to sale and often some rock head, re-shafts, does not put a dowel back in and then installs a 50g grip. Sacrilege!

In a nutshell, they are MP-14's with a higher muscle and more mass, they feel akin to FG 59's but slightly better, imo. Very forgiving on thinned shots, easily a half club longer than any other I ever owned and deadly accurate. If I land a chance to get NIB "T's" or the rarer bird of the Miura series, screw the college fund, their mine. :)

I'm sure I'm repeating myself, but why not? LOL

When the 681s came out, I was playing a fair amount of golf at a course about 20 miles from where I am now. A fellow WRX member was the head pro there. He carried Titleist gear, had a set of those on the wall for sale. I saw them and actually laughed, because they were dead ringers for Palmer Original Standards, with the edges of the muscle rounded slightly. I had those in my bag at the time, pulled a couple out and we had a laugh comparing them to each other.

The 78 Standards had rounded edges, they were also close. It was kind of eerie.

Seeing if this Ironfinder pic will paste in here:

gc8m6nbgnmtz.png

3ta7hx9l9txl.png

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @Nard_S said:

. If I land a chance to get NIB "T's" or the rarer bird of the Miura series, **** the college fund, their mine. :)

Makes me wonder... what irons are out there that you’d (meant for everyone, not just Nard) pay silly money for?

Cataract surgery today, new lens. Hope I can see without glasses. No golf for a week.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> . If I land a chance to get NIB "T's" or the rarer bird of the Miura series, **** the college fund, their mine. :)

>

> Makes me wonder... what irons are out there that you’d (meant for everyone, not just Nard) pay silly money for?

>

> Cataract surgery today, new lens. Hope I can see without glasses. No golf for a week.

>

Why not just chip and putt your way across the course? :)

> @revanant said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > . If I land a chance to get NIB "T's" or the rarer bird of the Miura series, **** the college fund, their mine. :)

> >

> > Makes me wonder... what irons are out there that you’d (meant for everyone, not just Nard) pay silly money for?

> >

> > Cataract surgery today, new lens. Hope I can see without glasses. No golf for a week.

> >

>

> Why not just chip and putt your way across the course? :)

Can’t bend down for a few days - but hey I could practice missing putts.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @revanant said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > . If I land a chance to get NIB "T's" or the rarer bird of the Miura series, **** the college fund, their mine. :)

> > >

> > > Makes me wonder... what irons are out there that you’d (meant for everyone, not just Nard) pay silly money for?

> > >

> > > Cataract surgery today, new lens. Hope I can see without glasses. No golf for a week.

> > >

> >

> > Why not just chip and putt your way across the course? :)

>

> Can’t bend down for a few days - but hey I could practice missing putts.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Why didn't you call? I'll caddy and tee your ball up.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

> @Kingcat990 said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @revanant said:

> > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > > @Nard_S said:

> > > > . If I land a chance to get NIB "T's" or the rarer bird of the Miura series, **** the college fund, their mine. :)

> > > >

> > > > Makes me wonder... what irons are out there that you’d (meant for everyone, not just Nard) pay silly money for?

> > > >

> > > > Cataract surgery today, new lens. Hope I can see without glasses. No golf for a week.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Why not just chip and putt your way across the course? :)

> >

> > Can’t bend down for a few days - but hey I could practice missing putts.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Why didn't you call? I'll caddy and tee your ball up.

I have a friend who went all the way to prototyping a thing to put a tee in the ground (Peg n Flog - great name). I HATE not being able to swing a club - could never live in cold, wet places. Before surgery, went to the range, even though no food or water for 12 hrs. Typing with one eye - the other one is bandaged. I look like I am seriously wounded. Maybe I can milk that - ‘head wound’ - to explain all those senior moments.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> . If I land a chance to get NIB "T's" or the rarer bird of the Miura series, **** the college fund, their mine. :)

>

> Makes me wonder... what irons are out there that you’d (meant for everyone, not just Nard) pay silly money for?

>

> Cataract surgery today, new lens. Hope I can see without glasses. No golf for a week.

>

It is all silly money relatively speaking. I have owned like 25 sets maybe, maybe more, but never had a new set in my life and to this day the most money I have ever spent on clubs was $1000 for my small blades. When you drop a k for used clubs, that is just silly.....I love that tiger set, but $2-$3k for used clubs is bananas. I may end up with one of those 500 one day tho, never know what tomorrow brings......

I would contend you could build a great bag for $500-700 driver-putter.

> @Bigmean said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @Nard_S said:

> > . If I land a chance to get NIB "T's" or the rarer bird of the Miura series, **** the college fund, their mine. :)

> >

> > Makes me wonder... what irons are out there that you’d (meant for everyone, not just Nard) pay silly money for?

> >

> > Cataract surgery today, new lens. Hope I can see without glasses. No golf for a week.

> >

> It is all silly money relatively speaking. I have owned like 25 sets maybe, maybe more, but never had a new set in my life and to this day the most money I have ever spent on clubs was $1000 for my small blades. When you drop a k for used clubs, that is just silly.....I love that tiger set, but $2-$3k for used clubs is bananas. I may end up with one of those 500 one day tho, never know what tomorrow brings......

>

> I would contend you could build a great bag for $500-700 driver-putter.

>

Totally agree. My source?

1) Driver--King LTD ($80)

2) Cobra Amp 3w ($50)

3) Cobra F6+ Baffler 5w ($60)

4) Mizuno MP-4 3-PW ($280) / Ben Hogan Apex 1988 Redlines ($60)

5) TItleist Vokey SM5 54 ($35)

6) Mizuno JPX Wedge 58 ($50)

7) Ping Redwood D66 ($60)

Total:

If playing Mizuno: $615

If playing Hogan: $395

> @Bigmean said:

My bag with mint 99 Apex, new Mizuno MP metals, NOS KB putter and NOS Titleist stand bag cost under $625. Used it for 3 years. Great deal.

Ironic because my suckage is huge, where I throw stupid money is in Driver's. A Tour Pure in the late 90's was $500, my Type I last year was $800. Also ball, I play premium balls all the time, even back in the day, could not break 100, yet used Tour 100's, lol. Even then, "feel was real", I'm a pure ball snob, so guilty. The closest I got to going stupid on used irons was a heated eBay listing for nice "T's", lost out by less than $50, they went for over $900. Still perturbed on that one. But at this point, I get a bit in the weeds on building sets with proper shafts, I can play next 10 years without getting antsy for new bling.

• Like 1

> @NRJyzr said:

> I'm sure I'm repeating myself, but why not? LOL

> The 78 Standards had rounded edges, they were also close. It was kind of eerie.

My friend, I am too, the 681 is a dead knockoff to the MP-14 in all things except for the higher muscle, those Palmer's have that, so did the Hogan's that Tiger was liking while they were designing the club for him. He was playing a split bag of -14's & -29's at the time and when you put the -14 side by side to 681 (I own a #2i), you see where they got the aesthetics of the club. Oddly I'm lukewarm on the MP-14 (which is heresy in blade world) but I'm butt hurt fan boy of the Titleist. Go figure.

• Like 1

> @Nard_S said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > I'm sure I'm repeating myself, but why not? LOL

> > The 78 Standards had rounded edges, they were also close. It was kind of eerie.

>

> My friend, I am too, the 681 is a dead knockoff to the MP-14 in all things except for the higher muscle, those Palmer's have that, so did the Hogan's that Tiger was liking while they were designing the club for him. He was playing a split bag of -14's & -29's at the time and when you put the -14 side by side to 681 (I own a #2i), you see where they got the aesthetics of the club. Oddly I'm lukewarm on the MP-14 (which is heresy in blade world) but I'm butt hurt fan boy of the Titleist. Go figure.

The MP-14 have a CG that's pretty low, much lower than most irons. If you like higher CGs, or even a moderate CG, it makes sense to me that the MP-14s may not appeal to you.

Not unlike some Mizuno fans may not care for the MP-18s, which have a fairly high CG.

Amusingly, the MP-14s were the set that told me to give blades a shot, since I hit them far better than the irons I was playing at the time. So of course I go to Golden Rams, not really in the 14 zip code. LOL

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @Bigmean said:

>

You'd get no argument from me. LOL

My current bag is a $79 SuperDeep, $137 King LTD, $69 Stage 2 Tour 2h, $130 Golden Ram 2-PW, $35 Acer 58* (parts cost from Hireko), and a Golden Ram TW Custom putter that was gifted to me. That's a grand total of $450.

It would be easy for me to go lower. I spent a fair amount of time last year playing Ram persimmons, driver and 3w, that combined cost me less than $12. Add in a 1 iron and I'm under $200.

Great fun :)

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > I'm sure I'm repeating myself, but why not? LOL

> > > The 78 Standards had rounded edges, they were also close. It was kind of eerie.

> >

> > My friend, I am too, the 681 is a dead knockoff to the MP-14 in all things except for the higher muscle, those Palmer's have that, so did the Hogan's that Tiger was liking while they were designing the club for him. He was playing a split bag of -14's & -29's at the time and when you put the -14 side by side to 681 (I own a #2i), you see where they got the aesthetics of the club. Oddly I'm lukewarm on the MP-14 (which is heresy in blade world) but I'm butt hurt fan boy of the Titleist. Go figure.

>

>

>

> The MP-14 have a CG that's pretty low, much lower than most irons. If you like higher CGs, or even a moderate CG, it makes sense to me that the MP-14s may not appeal to you.

>

> Not unlike some Mizuno fans may not care for the MP-18s, which have a fairly high CG.

>

> Amusingly, the MP-14s were the set that told me to give blades a shot, since I hit them far better than the irons I was playing at the time. So of course I go to Golden Rams, not really in the 14 zip code. LOL

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > I'm sure I'm repeating myself, but why not? LOL

> > > The 78 Standards had rounded edges, they were also close. It was kind of eerie.

> >

> > My friend, I am too, the 681 is a dead knockoff to the MP-14 in all things except for the higher muscle, those Palmer's have that, so did the Hogan's that Tiger was liking while they were designing the club for him. He was playing a split bag of -14's & -29's at the time and when you put the -14 side by side to 681 (I own a #2i), you see where they got the aesthetics of the club. Oddly I'm lukewarm on the MP-14 (which is heresy in blade world) but I'm butt hurt fan boy of the Titleist. Go figure.

>

>

>

> The MP-14 have a CG that's pretty low, much lower than most irons. If you like higher CGs, or even a moderate CG, it makes sense to me that the MP-14s may not appeal to you.

>

> Not unlike some Mizuno fans may not care for the MP-18s, which have a fairly high CG.

>

> Amusingly, the MP-14s were the set that told me to give blades a shot, since I hit them far better than the irons I was playing at the time. So of course I go to Golden Rams, not really in the 14 zip code. LOL

Funny the RAM's were "best of breed" for me at the time. The 14's were as you said to high launching, Back then I literally took woods out of the bag, so #2i was a big club for me. Nowadays, I don't even need it nor even want it.

• Like 1

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Bigmean said:

> > I would contend you could build a great bag for $500-700 driver-putter.

> >

>

>

> You'd get no argument from me. LOL

>

> My current bag is a $79 SuperDeep, $137 King LTD, $69 Stage 2 Tour 2h, $130 Golden Ram 2-PW, $35 Acer 58* (parts cost from Hireko), and a Golden Ram TW Custom putter that was gifted to me. That's a grand total of $450.

>

> It would be easy for me to go lower. I spent a fair amount of time last year playing Ram persimmons, driver and 3w, that combined cost me less than $12. Add in a 1 iron and I'm under $200.

>

> Great fun :)

Dude, One thing I have said here and maybe not in a while so why not restate, I have ZERO illusions that anything I am using outside $100 irons, my R7, some kind of fairway and wedges and putter I can get along with is 100% for my own entertainment.

Probably the Biggest reason I love JDM. I know I can’t buy performance or score, but I can buy well made crap, that is cool as hell to me, that fits what I like in golf stuff. At the end of the day that is all, it is like spending money on a car, only cheaper and cooler. The coolest thing about blades is, just like when I collected putters at a much lower tax bracket, you can get awesome usable stuff for so cheap, and all an expanded budget does is expands options.... one could acquire quite a neat collection of blades at a $300/set max or less. That makes it fun. It is never fun to tinker and collect things where most money in wins.....

• Like 1

> @Bigmean said:

>

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @Bigmean said:

> > > I would contend you could build a great bag for $500-700 driver-putter.

> > >

> >

> >

> > You'd get no argument from me. LOL

> >

> > My current bag is a $79 SuperDeep, $137 King LTD, $69 Stage 2 Tour 2h, $130 Golden Ram 2-PW, $35 Acer 58* (parts cost from Hireko), and a Golden Ram TW Custom putter that was gifted to me. That's a grand total of $450.

> >

> > It would be easy for me to go lower. I spent a fair amount of time last year playing Ram persimmons, driver and 3w, that combined cost me less than $12. Add in a 1 iron and I'm under $200.

> >

> > Great fun :)

>

> Dude, One thing I have said here and maybe not in a while so why not restate, I have ZERO illusions that anything I am using outside $100 irons, my R7, some kind of fairway and wedges and putter I can get along with is 100% for my own entertainment.

>

> Probably the Biggest reason I love JDM. I know I can’t buy performance or score, but I can buy well made ****, that is cool as **** to me, that fits what I like in golf stuff. At the end of the day that is all, it is like spending money on a car, only cheaper and cooler. The coolest thing about blades is, just like when I collected putters at a much lower tax bracket, you can get awesome usable stuff for so cheap, and all an expanded budget does is expands options.... one could acquire quite a neat collection of blades at a $300/set max or less. That makes it fun. It is never fun to tinker and collect things where most money in wins.....

>

Not unlike why I have seven sets of Ram Tour Grinds. Or play Rams at all, instead of something newer or more mainstream, or merely funkier, LOL.

JDM intrigues me, but hard for me to jump on at this point. A Grind Classic driver seems quite interesting, though. ;)

The once upon a time, all Ram bag: Golden Ram TG Persimmon D, 3, 5. GR TG Axial 3 - PW (Rifle FCM 5.5). TW Scoring System wedges (50*, 55*, 60*). And a Zebra. Don't believe I had $75 total invested. Then I applied the two year rule, and sold everything. (If one doesn't play clubs during that period of time, they're liquidated).

Upon viewing the posted pic again........"What the hel(l) was I thinking?".

exypd2j8ksvq.jpeg

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

If we are going to throwback...this was the set that got me into blades....cast, hollow 3 and 4 iron, and just oh so awesome. I thought they felt great(They didn't) but what got me hooked was the look at address and How they just felt right...if we are making the cheapest bag possible to game real scores...I choose these to build around.....$40

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-TaylorMade-Tour-Preferred-TD-Irons-3-PW/132982371951?hash=item1ef65df66f:g:N2EAAOSwSsZchBWz

That would be a really fun game, to build a $100 or sub bag with a buddy and play them against each other every few rounds betting. You have to keep a ledger and could add and drop clubs as long as the bag total is sub $100....

• Like 1

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> The once upon a time, all Ram bag: Golden Ram TG Persimmon D, 3, 5. GR TG Axial 3 - PW (Rifle FCM 5.5). TW Scoring System wedges (50*, 55*, 60*). And a Zebra. Don't believe I had $75 total invested. Then I applied the two year rule, and sold everything. (If one doesn't play clubs during that period of time, they're liquidated).

>

> Upon viewing the posted pic again........"What the hel(l) was I thinking?".

>

> exypd2j8ksvq.jpeg

>

>

>

What's the difference in lofts between the two pitching wedges? The one hidden between the other wedges looks a bit shorter than the other PW.

How did the Taylormade Tour Preferred MB come across to the blade lovers? How was the feel? They had a nice satin look and seemed like they had some extra weight out at the toe.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar