2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most Secluded Golf Course?

[quote name='DoubleorQuits' timestamp='1423834836' post='10944777']
[quote name='Titleist1455' timestamp='1423774934' post='10940713']
[quote name='DoubleorQuits' timestamp='1423772902' post='10940435']
Shadow Creek
[/quote]

I think you're getting "secluded" and "exclusive" mixed up. Shadow Creek is definitely not secluded...
[/quote]

[b]se·clud·ed[/b]/səˈklo͞odəd/
[color=#666666]adjective[/color] [list]
[*](of a place) not seen or visited by many people; sheltered and private.
[/list]
What am I missing?
[/quote]

I know what the literal definition is, but I'm thinking of an owner's box at a football stadium. Yes, it's private and not visited by many people, but I don't think of it as being secluded.

Shadow Creek is right in the middle of some very large neighborhoods.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caye Chapel Golf Club in Belize has to get some consideration. Just an island in the middle of the Atlantic with a golf course...that's it.

http://www.golfdiges...-secrets-belize

wow, that has got to be the most secluded I have seen, too bad by the look of the aerial on google maps it looks like it is no longer operating.

Actually, as of July 2014, the golf course is still 'operating'. You can read more about the place more here (http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2013/10/golf-course-private-island-caye-chapel-belize.html) but it was truly one of the most surreal experiences of my life.

You take a boat from either the mainland or from one of the other Cayes, or you can take a little puddle jumper over. They have to make a special stop at the island because no one has a reason to go there, unless for some ridiculous reason you are in Belize and want to play golf. And as an avid (read insane) golfer, I had to go. For <$100 all in (boat ride, golf, rental clubs, cart) you basically get the private island to yourself for the day. The course is not in great condition…putting greens are mowed like quick FWs and FWs are like really short rough. But you never get any further than a 3 wood away from the ocean at any point. And as I said, you literally get a private island to yourself for the day. We got dropped off around 8a and didn’t see a single person, other than the caretaker when we stopped at the clubhouse to have our lunch (which we had to bring, because they have no food services). We played some tennis, stopped after the 12th hole to go in the pool, went snorkeling after 18. Spent almost 12 hours there and could have spent more. There is something about playing golf without a shirt or shoes (hell, you could probably play nude if the mood struck you) on an ‘abandoned’ island that was absolutely awesome.

If any of you ever do make a trip to Belize, I highly recommend a stop here. My gf had no interest in golf but still had a great time riding around with me and spending the day here. We were only going to do a half day (play golf and catch the 1p ferry back) but had so much fun we ended up staying for the whole day. I can’t think of a more secluded/surreal place to play a round of golf.

Turquoise Valley in Naco Arizona. One bad shot and you're in Mexico. This post from their website says it all:

"With our recent expansion we've a well-stocked Pro Shop with all you need for your round of golf, from Clubs (Sale and Rental Sets) and Bags to Golf Balls, Tees, Tee Markers and Gloves, plus other items, such as Hats and other sun protection. Be sure to look around and see if we're carrying the newest line of "Rattler" Tee Shirts, updated for those who got snakebit and also for those who bit back on our famed Par 6. ("I Bit the Rattler!" and "the Rattler Bit Me!"). If not, feel free to order and when in stock, we will ship to YOU! "

Probably the most secluded course I can think of in California (that I have played, so I am sure there might be more secluded out there) would be Rancho San Marcos up in the pass above Santa Barbara before you get to Lake Cachuma. I hope nobody has built anything out there and ruined it in the past 10+ years, but there is pretty much nothing around for 10 miles give or take other than the lake itself.

[quote name='Pat du Golf' timestamp='1423897439' post='10950829']
This private course is in the middle of nowhere...... [url="http://www.metedeconk.org/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp"]http://www.metedecon...s/Home/home.asp[/url]
[/quote]

That one looks nice. Check out google maps at 40.166984, -74.334477. There are a grand total of two houses on that course, each of which has a nice looking short game practice area in the yard. Pretty cool. Wonder how often those dudes go out and play that little loop of 6 or 7 holes over in their corner of the course.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1423902002' post='10950927']
Probably the most secluded course I can think of in California (that I have played, so I am sure there might be more secluded out there) would be Rancho San Marcos up in the pass above Santa Barbara before you get to Lake Cachuma. I hope nobody has built anything out there and ruined it in the past 10+ years, but there is pretty much nothing around for 10 miles give or take other than the lake itself.
[/quote]

California's pretty tough to describe a secluded course, but I'll throw in Aetna Springs GC in Napa County. Arguably the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi, Tom Doak did an amazing restoration of this 9 hole diamond-in-the-rough. You are literally out in the middle of nowhere back in Pope Valley, playing on some of the finest links-style holes anywhere in the state. Firm, fast and the greens are just as pure and fast. It howls out there so it can play very tough or very easy depending on the wind. Amazing, serene, almost transcendence golf experience. We went round and round and played 36 holes and didnt get bored. Satisfied my inner Bandon Dunes craving ..

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1423936348' post='10952511']
[/quote]

California's pretty tough to describe a secluded course, but I'll throw in Aetna Springs GC in Napa County. Arguably the oldest golf course west of the Mississippi, Tom Doak did an amazing restoration of this 9 hole diamond-in-the-rough. You are literally out in the middle of nowhere back in Pope Valley, playing on some of the finest links-style holes anywhere in the state. Firm, fast and the greens are just as pure and fast. It howls out there so it can play very tough or very easy depending on the wind. Amazing, serene, almost transcendence golf experience. We went round and round and played 36 holes and didnt get bored. Satisfied my inner Bandon Dunes craving ..
[/quote]

I thought the original 9 holes at Mare Island were the oldest course west of the Mississippi? If not for the abandoned military base it is attached to, there is NOTHING around that either. Add in the fog and you cannot see across the strait somedays to see Vallejo... or even the bridge that brought you near the course. :)

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1423944534' post='10953173']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought the original 9 holes at Mare Island were the oldest course west of the Mississippi? If not for the abandoned military base it is attached to, there is NOTHING around that either. Add in the fog and you cannot see across the strait somedays to see Vallejo... or even the bridge that brought you near the course. :)
[/quote]

That's why I said arguably. Aetna Springs Resort opened in 1873 with the golf course opening in 1892-93ish.. Although it is argued that is only when it officially opened and they actually had a golf course there shortly after the resort opened. And there is also considerable discussion about the course "in continuous operation". Del Monte is often considered the oldest continuously operated course west of the Mississippi. Aetna and and Mare I believe suffered through several closures and periods where they were shut down for years at a time.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1423947750' post='10953499']
[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1423944534' post='10953173']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's why I said arguably. Aetna Springs Resort opened in 1873 with the golf course opening in 1892-93ish.. Although it is argued that is only when it officially opened and they actually had a golf course there shortly after the resort opened. And there is also considerable discussion about the course "in continuous operation". Del Monte is often considered the oldest continuously operated course west of the Mississippi. Aetna and and Mare I believe suffered through several closures and periods where they were shut down for years at a time.
[/quote]

Gearhart throws its hat into the ring as being the oldest as well. http://www.gearhartgolflinks.com/

Having played at Ballyneal I can say that it is surely one heck of a ride across some beautifully barren country before arriving. Secluded as I have ever felt.

FWIW, The National makes you feel as secluded as any place I've played whilst being surrounded by civilization. The place has an aura about it that is unmistakable.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1423934703' post='10952407']
[quote name='Pat du Golf' timestamp='1423897439' post='10950829']
This private course is in the middle of nowhere...... [url="http://www.metedeconk.org/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp"]http://www.metedecon...s/Home/home.asp[/url]
[/quote]

That one looks nice. Check out google maps at 40.166984, -74.334477. There are a grand total of two houses on that course, each of which has a nice looking short game practice area in the yard. Pretty cool. Wonder how often those dudes go out and play that little loop of 6 or 7 holes over in their corner of the course.
[/quote]

The membership is ultra private: Big wall street names- I have met some and they are really funny-- Did you check out the helipad??? Another World!!1

Mizuno MP 37 3i-pw
Mizuno MP 64 3i -pw
Ping G25
Scotty Newport
Cleveland wedges
Prov1x

Stanley Golf Course in the Falkland Islands is pretty secluded.

I am not to sure how the authors 9 most secluded golf courses in the world only included two courses outside the USA.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

[quote name='mctrees02' timestamp='1424499195' post='10996707']
Rock Creek Cattle Company in Montana. Good luck finding it on google maps. Even when you know where to look...its still not easy to find lol. One of Doak's best designs...
[/quote]I've spent about 10 minutes on google maps and still can't find it, looked at the website and the course looks awesome

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1424558703' post='11000011']
[quote name='mctrees02' timestamp='1424499195' post='10996707']
Rock Creek Cattle Company in Montana. Good luck finding it on google maps. Even when you know where to look...its still not easy to find lol. One of Doak's best designs...
[/quote]I've spent about 10 minutes on google maps and still can't find it, looked at the website and the course looks awesome
[/quote]

found it, didn't find it that hard to find... or I just got lucky

here are the coordinates: 46.47663,-112.837339

[u]WITB:[/u]
Driver: Nike Vapor Fly Pro / Stiff /
15* 3 Wood: Callaway Big Bertha / Stiff /
18* Hybrid: Adams Red / Stiff /
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 4-PW / Stiff /
50* Wedge: Cleveland 588 / Wedge /
56* Wedge: Maltby Tour Grind MG / Stiff /
Putter: Nike Method Converge B1-01 / 35" /

I have a couple--I played at Diamond Woods GC in Monroe, OR, and that was out in the middle of nowhere. An hour and a half south and west of Portland, and it feels like absolute wilderness. No homes for miles. Nice track though.

I also remember a buddy telling me about a course on the Big Island, in Hawaii. He said it was built into the mountains, and there were temple ruins on the course, and you had to take a ferry to get there or something. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

• 2 weeks later...

We played this one after fishing for halibut all day: [url="http://www.gustavus.com/activities/golf.html"]http://www.gustavus.com/activities/golf.html[/url] It's definitely out in the middle of nowhere! We played until 10:30pm and we finally had to remind ourselves to quiet down 'cause everybody that lived near this 'course' was probably asleep! Interesting aside, the land that this place is on is rebounding in a thing called isostatic rebound, where the land has actually been coming up since the 3000' thick glacier melted over the years. So supposedly the title for the land says he owns to the high tide line, which has been moving out, giving him more land..he says someday it'll be an 18 hole course!

[/quote]

Played Rancho San Marcos some months back on a trip to Carmel. It was is great shape and still secluded. Turkey's and deer were meandering around various holes. All I could think about was fresh back strap dinner.... yum

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

For all the hype it gets, it is fairly far from civilation, check out Streamsong in FL.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter