WRX Iowa...

Warrick

Hey Fellas. Relatively new to the community here at WRX but I'm from Dubuque. We have a variety of choices in town but I normally play Lacoma or Bunker Hill unless there is a best shot elsewhere. Two weeks ago I was down in Iowa City and played Pleasant Valley. What a long course!

Anyways, just wanted to stop by and introduce myself.

• 1 month later...

hi guys, I am actually stationed here in oMaha but I have been playing alot of top courses across iowa, harvester , spirit hollow , blue top and a few others. We are moving next june, besides wakonda since I don't have acess what others should I look for. I don't mind the drive or the price of greens fees just want good golf and conditions. I have been hitting the top places in surrounding states while here. I am normally by myself so I welcome the company to play as well

• 4 weeks later...
Ha, have the whole week of the 5th off...

Any thoughts on a course?

How do you play, going to put a beatin on me...?

Idc on course. Havent played beaver, tci, legacy or blank this year yet. Lol no, i shoot in the 90s

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS

I think my normal group is doing TCI next week, not a fan of Blank really.

I would be game for Legacy, prefer to play halfway early.

It would be cool if we could get a foursome of WRX'ers...

Any other Iowa guys off on the 6th for a round at Legacy?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet ya legacy works for me. Early is fine as well. U on fb?

First time out for a round with a fellow WRX'er, was a pleasure, had a good time despite the heat and wind.

Thanks man, had fun.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Iowa WRXers! I travel Iowa around 2-3 weeks out of the month and try to play whenever I get time in the afternoons. I'm in Ft. Dodge the next couple of days and wanna hear any recommendations for a decent course to play. Thanks for the help!

I'm from Fort Dodge.. Get up to Spring Valley in Livermore.. Hidden gem

THIS! For a small community in north central Iowa, they keep this course immaculate. Plus green fees are very reasonable.

On a side note I am blown away by how many Iowans are on this site. Just amazing!

Hey Iowa WRXers! I travel Iowa around 2-3 weeks out of the month and try to play whenever I get time in the afternoons. I'm in Ft. Dodge the next couple of days and wanna hear any recommendations for a decent course to play. Thanks for the help!

I'm from Fort Dodge.. Get up to Spring Valley in Livermore.. Hidden gem

THIS! For a small community in north central Iowa, they keep this course immaculate. Plus green fees are very reasonable.

On a side note I am blown away by how many Iowans are on this site. Just amazing!

Absolutely agree. I try and get up there at least once a year, I'm originally from NW Iowa, live in Ankeny now. Pretty cool back in Dallas Clark's heyday he brought Peyton and many other Colts to play there for charity.

Hmmm, would like to check it out but man that's far. Would need a really good reason to drive 2 hours from Des Moines.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

Awesome, WDSM, and Ankeny in the last 2 posts. I grew up in Anleny, and lived in WDSM for about 10 years. I am down south a bit now, about 15 miles south of Carlisle.

Where do you guys play normally?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Hmmm, would like to check it out but man that's far. Would need a really good reason to drive 2 hours from Des Moines.

They do a $78 all day Golf including cart and lunch. Otherwise the Dallas Clark Foundation tourney is held there every year. It is a little pricey but you get great goodie bags. 2-3 years ago they gave everybody a taylormade 3 or 5 Wood. I am game for meeting somewhere in the middle for a round if anybody else is interested.

Awesome, WDSM, and Ankeny in the last 2 posts. I grew up in Anleny, and lived in WDSM for about 10 years. I am down south a bit now, about 15 miles south of Carlisle.

I play all around the DSM area, but belong to Wakonda and play there 90% of the time.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

I play all around the DSM area, but belong to Wakonda and play there 90% of the time.

Seriously? A member at Wakonda...., damn you.

Awesome, just a bit jealous.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Have you had a chance to pay the club? It is great. If you haven't you can purchase a PCC ticket package that includes round of golf.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

No, I have not, but my brother has played it a few times. He is a decent player and knows some people. He loves the greens.

I am trying to work my way on to a few courses this year, including DMGCC.

I will look in to that, thanks.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

A group of us had played league at Coldwater in Ames for the past few years but recently switched to Woodland Hills since it's much closer, but may consider driving again because Coldwater is that nice and Woodland Hills is well, Woodland Hills haha. Live very close to Ankeny GCC but haven't played it, looks nice. They have some public tournaments I'm gonna look into this year. Other than that otter creek, beaver creek in grimes (south course is awesome), jester park, TCI once or twice. Now I'm stuck playing indoors at Backspin in Ankeny, but at least I'm swinging clubs! Pretty nice place too.

Also like to get to Legacy a couple times per year. I wish there was an easier way to get onto some of the private courses around here. Seems like you have to know someone or make the big bucks haha. Echo valley, Hyperion, dmgcc, wakonda, glen oaks, Ankeny GCC, etc. The ONE that would absolutely be sweet to play right here in Ankeny is Talons of Tuscany.

Yeah pretty jealous myself. Only private courses I've been on around here is Briarwood in Ankeny and Ballard GCC in Huxley.

A group of us had played league at Coldwater in Ames for the past few years but recently switched to Woodland Hills since it's much closer, but may consider driving again because Coldwater is that nice and Woodland Hills is well, Woodland Hills haha. Live very close to Ankeny GCC but haven't played it, looks nice. They have some public tournaments I'm gonna look into this year. Other than that otter creek, beaver creek in grimes (south course is awesome), jester park, TCI once or twice. Now I'm stuck playing indoors at Backspin in Ankeny, but at least I'm swinging clubs! Pretty nice place too.

Ankeny is okay. It's nothing to write home about. It's a short 9 hole club and IMO is not worth the dues.

Purchase a $30 IGA membership. They have 3 open play days at private clubs every year - last year they had Glen Oaks and Echo Valley. They did DMGCC a couple years back.

Backspin is kind of cool. I was there the other week for the first time and enjoyed myself. I've never used a super high end simulator like Tru Golf or about Golf, so after my first experience I was impressed with the accuracy.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

Ankeny is okay. It's nothing to write home about. It's a short 9 hole club and IMO is not worth the dues.

Purchase a $30 IGA membership. They have 3 open play days at private clubs every year - last year they had Glen Oaks and Echo Valley. They did DMGCC a couple years back.

Backspin is kind of cool. I was there the other week for the first time and enjoyed myself. I've never used a super high end simulator like Tru Golf or about Golf, so after my first experience I was impressed with the accuracy.

Never thought of an IGA membership, thanks I'll look into that. Overall backspin is really pretty accurate, there are some anomalies of course but you'll have that. Played kapalua last week in league, that was cool.

Ha, I was a member at Ankeny when I was a kid (parents), then also joined as a single for a few years after that, then moved away from town. It is a decent course, nothing to get excited about. I would consider it if I lived in town, as my kid is starting to play.

We played Legacy, TCI, Beaver, Otter, Woodland, Toad and Terrace this year. I was surprised playing Toad later in the year, greens have gotten better/quicker. As much as we play, have to get a pass somewhere, and most of our rounds are Fri-Sun at dawn. We did Terrace last year, my cousin knows the owners, had first off pretty much any day we wanted, and the pass was under $1k.

We are trying to decide what to do for this coming season. TCI is close to $3k, and that makes it an even longer drive for me, Otter has no pass that includes Sat-Sun. One of the guys in our group has no interest in Legacy, so not sure what to do

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Also like to get to Legacy a couple times per year. I wish there was an easier way to get onto some of the private courses around here. Seems like you have to know someone or make the big bucks haha. Echo valley, Hyperion, dmgcc, wakonda, glen oaks, Ankeny GCC, etc. The ONE that would absolutely be sweet to play right here in Ankeny is Talons of Tuscany.

Talons is Albaugh's course, my brother has played it several times, shot 66 there. Unless you know someone, pretty tough. We were members with them at Ankeny Golf back in the day, my parents were good friends with them, and I went to school with their kids, could probably find a way on, with his son-in law (used to gamble together).

Freakin billionaires....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I played 14 different IA courses in 2016 and Terrace Hills was one of them. I was pleasantly surprised by that track and really enjoyed it. It has great terrain, interesting variety of holes and layouts, and some decent greens.

Have you considered Beaver Creek? It's really far for you, but if you looked into TCI; Beaver offers a good option. I held a pass the first two years I lived in DSM when I first moved here. That was over 4 years ago, and they offered me 10% off the price if I bought it during the winter. It's worth looking into and asking the head pro, Brett, about. Beaver gets some traffic, but if you go late it's pretty open and nobody plays the South course - so you can always get a quick 9 in there.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

It is a good value for the price of the pass (Terrace), at $950. Toad has a Fri-Sun weekend warrior season pass for $400, thought about a double up for $1350, have 2 courses to play.

We have not talked about Beaver much. I do like it for the most part, especially the South, but when it is wet, that place is WET. I will look in to pricing there, sure it is cheaper than TCI.

I want venture out a bit more this year also. Preserve, and Harvester are ones I really want to play.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I hate Preserve. Some people like it but I just hate it. I don't think they get enough revenue to keep up the course so the conditions usually suck. And the layout isn't very inspiring.

The Harvester on the other hand - without question the best course in Iowa. The conditions are impeccable, every hole is interesting and memorable. Dare I say, one of my favorite courses I've ever played.

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X