2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Grafalloy Prolaunch Red vs Grafalloy Blue Original

Jwowzer

Does anyone have any experience with both of these shafts and how they compare to one another? I had the original blue, and liked the ball flight until one of my coworkers broke it yesterday! Was looking to stick with Grafalloy, and have found a Prolaunch Red to replace it.

Thanks alot!

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the shaftoids should chime in, but the PL Red had a lower ball flight for me than the original Blue.

So it just depends if you are okay with a slightly lower ball flight. I preferred PL Red to the original Blue, but obviously, everyone is different.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I got the Prolaunch Red in my V-Steels and its a low launching, low spinning shaft....plus its cheap (Under $50).

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I have the PL Blue in my driver and it's a nice shaft and under $50 if you look around. You should be able to replace yours fairly easily if you want the same shafts again :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Grafalloy Prolite 35's are also a fairly well liked shaft as well from what I've read. I just picked up 2 of them for $20 each recently to put in my fairways woods, may be another one you could try for cheap

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1426979083' post='11187927']
I have the PL Blue in my driver and it's a nice shaft and under $50 if you look around. You should be able to replace yours fairly easily if you want the same shafts again :)
[/quote]
I think the OP is talking of the graf Blue, not the PL Blue, which is a completely differentanimal. I have said numerous times in ddifferent threads that the graf Blue is imo the best shaft ever made for anyone with a swing that can hamdle it. It has the perfect combination of low torque/light weight/mid bend point which made it easy to load but incredibly stable through impact. It aldo produced a ball flight you dream about; pentrating mid/high that flattens out and goes forever with plenty of roll. The only shaft I ever played that came close was the old Pro Force 75, but imo that shaft was harder to load. Almost all of my longest drives over the years came from drivers shafted with a graf blue stiff. Different heads too so it was definitely the shaft producing the results.

I have tried the PL Red, and imo that shaft is a closer match to the old Pro Lite 35, which I found to be a very hard shaft to hit (too high bend point for me). I have also demoed the PL Blue, but that plays like a wet noodle and has no place in this conversation compared to PL Red amd graf Blue.

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1426980642' post='11188055']
[/quote]
I think the OP is talking of the graf Blue, not the PL Blue, which is a completely differentanimal. I have said numerous times in ddifferent threads that the graf Blue is imo the best shaft ever made for anyone with a swing that can hamdle it. It has the perfect combination of low torque/light weight/mid bend point which made it easy to load but incredibly stable through impact. It aldo produced a ball flight you dream about; pentrating mid/high that flattens out and goes forever with plenty of roll. The only shaft I ever played that came close was the old Pro Force 75, but imo that shaft was harder to load. Almost all of my longest drives over the years came from drivers shafted with a graf blus stiff. Different heads too so it was definitely the shaft producing the results.
[/quote]

I didn't know there was a difference, thanks for the clarification sir :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1426980776' post='11188071']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1426980642' post='11188055']
[/quote]
I think the OP is talking of the graf Blue, not the PL Blue, which is a completely differentanimal. I have said numerous times in ddifferent threads that the graf Blue is imo the best shaft ever made for anyone with a swing that can hamdle it. It has the perfect combination of low torque/light weight/mid bend point which made it easy to load but incredibly stable through impact. It aldo produced a ball flight you dream about; pentrating mid/high that flattens out and goes forever with plenty of roll. The only shaft I ever played that came close was the old Pro Force 75, but imo that shaft was harder to load. Almost all of my longest drives over the years came from drivers shafted with a graf blus stiff. Different heads too so it was definitely the shaft producing the results.
[/quote]

I didn't know there was a difference, thanks for the clarification sir :)
[/quote]
As my edited post above states, the PL Blue and graf Blue couldn't be more different. Designed for completely diffferent player profile. PL Blue is still a quality shaft, but not suitable for guys who hit graf Blue or PL Red.

Thanks playa, I was indeed talking about the original blue, not the pro launch. If it helps, I currently play with the tour green, but, since my coworker broke my shaft, I have a free shaft on the way! lol and since I paid $6 for my original blue through work, the only other decent $6 shaft we have is the prolaunch red, so was just wondering if they were similar.

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

[quote name='Jwowzer' timestamp='1426971431' post='11187239']
Does anyone have any experience with both of these shafts and how they compare to one another? I had the original blue, and liked the ball flight until one of my coworkers broke it yesterday! Was looking to stick with Grafalloy, and have found a Prolaunch Red to replace it.

Thanks alot!
[/quote]

Its not the first choice for replacement, but i dont know how good you liked the BLUE?
PL RED is about a hole flex stiffer with the same flex letter, and PL RED is the stoutest model from Grafalloy. Even as R flex its stiffer at tip side than the original BLUE as S flex. Here is specs on zone flex from Tom Wishons software.

[attachment=2673363:BLue to PL Red.JPG]

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

[quote name='Howard Jones' timestamp='1426986320' post='11188561']

Its not the first choice for replacement, but i dont know how good you liked the BLUE?
PL RED is about a hole flex stiffer with the same flex letter, and PL RED is the stoutest model from Grafalloy. Even as R flex its stiffer at tip side than the original BLUE as S flex. Here is specs on zone flex from Tom Wishons software.

[/quote]

Howard, is that the original 'Blue' or the new version of the "blue" ?

I had the red in a driver of mine a couple years ago. It's a pretty nice little shaft, especially at the price they go for.

I can't compare it to the blue because I've never tried the blue, but you can't go wrong w/ the red, IMO.

Ping G430Max 10k - Ping G425Max 14* - Ping G430 19* - Ping G710 (4,5) - Ping i210 (6-U) - Ping S159 56* - Odyssey 7s - Chrome Tour

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1427012076' post='11189757']

[/quote]

Howard, is that the original 'Blue' or the new version of the "blue" ?
[/quote]

Its the Original BLUE, but since i have to delete photos all the time, ive posted a Grafalloy compare in the pinned topic for you so we dont loose it out of sight. Ive put in all Low to Low Mid launch, all classics from Prolite up to the latest Speed Coat, sorted weak to strong, as S and X flex.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/496072-new-and-improved-shaft-chart/page__st__450#entry11190325

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1427031502' post='11190429']
Thanks, just was curious as those numbers seemed softer than I expected based on my (vague) memory of it when I used it a long time ago.
[/quote]

You will see that the BLUE S is WAY softer than X, its like there is a shaft flex (S+) missing in-between them compared to other Grafalloy models.

[quote name='HawkeyeDan' timestamp='1426994711' post='11189283']
Does anyone know where I could get an original Blue? I have it in Tour S in a TM 3 wood I bought used and absolutely love it. Would love to try it in my driver. Can't seem to find it anywhere though.
[/quote]

I'll reply to my own post here with a separate question - what shaft today plays similarly to the old Blue? The current Blue? I am sorry, I suck at reading the numbers/charts and comprehending what I am looking at.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Jwowzer' timestamp='1426971431' post='11187239']

Thanks alot!
[/quote]

[attachment=2673363:BLue to PL Red.JPG]
[/quote]
Hi Howard I have you post this graph of data in other threads, do you think that this is the "Grafalloy Blue" or the "Grafaloy ProLaunch Blue" being listed by Wishon's data? I have always felt Wishon had researched the "ProLaunch Blue" and mistakingly labeled the findings under "Grafalloy Blue".

Based on listening to Don Brown and Simon Wilson talk about the "Blue" in various interviews, the data does not reflect the "thick/stout" midsection in the "Blue" bend profile which they claim makes the shaft so stout, the data shows that Red is actually stiffer in the mid section?????. I understand that the "Blue" design was one of the stiffest designs Grafalloy has ever produced, based on the data the ProLaunch Red is by far a stiffer profile which I do not believe is entirely true. Based on what Simon Wilson said in an interview with Yakuza Golf on youtube, he mentioned "to make the Blue that Quiros and other Tour players was very unique and challenging and unlike anything they ever produced" (or something to that extent, but highlighting the longest hitters on tour and using a shaft that is stiff/light).....based on this data I do not feel strong swingers like Quiros and other tour players (like Stenson presently) would opt for Blue if the ProLaunch Red was a significantly stiffer profile.

Do you think the Wishon measurements on the Blue are accurate???? Just wondering what you think, and in no way discrediting Tom Wishon who is one of the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to shafts.

I've played a PLRed in a fairway and a original BLUE in a driver. The PLRed will lower ball flight and seems to be a great bargain while the original BLUE was a stout, dependable and repeatable shaft for me. The BLUE felt very stiff to flex and while I normally play an Xstiff in my driver shafts, a stiff in the BLUE was more than enough to get 'er done. My swing speed is 110-112.

I did have to swing away hard with the BLUE and things hardly ever went left. It also was a great bargain back in it's day.

They have a new BLUE out which is now a WHITE, that is claimed to be the same as the old just better ? I haven't tried it out and continue to keep my eyes open for one of those original BLUEs in a stiff just to have in the inventory.

I've played a PLRed in a fairway and a original BLUE in a driver. The PLRed will lower ball flight and seems to be a great bargain while the original BLUE was a stout, dependable and repeatable shaft for me. The BLUE felt very stiff to flex and while I normally play an Xstiff in my driver shafts, a stiff in the BLUE was more than enough to get 'er done. My swing speed is 110-112.

I did have to swing away hard with the BLUE and things hardly ever went left. It also was a great bargain back in it's day.

They have a new BLUE out which is now a WHITE, that is claimed to be the same as the old just better ? I haven't tried it out and continue to keep my eyes open for one of those original BLUEs in a stiff just to have in the inventory.

quick question why don't you just go buy another blue? love mine, find no reason to replace, if I did, it would be with another Blue.

edit: YIKES market for them is even worse than it was when I bought mine a couple years back; best of luck op!

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

quick question why don't you just go buy another blue? love mine, find no reason to replace, if I did, it would be with another Blue.

edit: YIKES market for them is even worse than it was when I bought mine a couple years back; best of luck op!

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

[quote name='ChristopherMcDonald' timestamp='1429305990' post='11383459']

[/quote]

Yep - I was looking for one in stiff to no avail for my driver. I have one in my Burner 3 wood and love it.

[quote name='ChristopherMcDonald' timestamp='1429305990' post='11383459']

[/quote]

Yep - I was looking for one in stiff to no avail for my driver. I have one in my Burner 3 wood and love it.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ccorrada' timestamp='1433363158' post='11684040']
[url="http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_TT0095"]http://www.golfworks...p_Q_pn_E_TT0095[/url]

Here you go...
[/quote]

this is the new one thinking he was maybe looking at the original.

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

Smooth - I am 100% with you on this. I too have Tom's software and have always questioned the specs for the Blue. I bought a used driver a few years ago only to the find the telephone pole that came with it. It was STIFF. Way too much for me and pulled it. There are a few shafts in the software where the names are a little goofy and hard to figure out just which shaft it is. I'm sure you could find past threads on the Blue stating it's heft. Those numbers do not reflect the Blue of old. Could it be the Blue Tour ? It played softer than the Blue.