2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Club Championships

I have some bad luck joining some local golf clubs in the area. The local clubs in this area do have tournaments and some have a tournament schedule for the year. It seems around here that a scramble format is the most important to people. You would think a club that is in a city of about 20,000 and a suburb of Houston that the club championship should be the most important and have the best outcome in participation. There is also a club that just south of that location and scramble format is the only thing that is played in their tournaments. That is the only thing the "club members" care about.

I am just disappointed in the many clubs around here and "golfing one's own ball" is not of importance like it should be. It is very frustrating and maybe I am not looking in the right places.

I would just like to play with some guys that playing their own ball, playing the right way (without bumping the ball), and having fun the right way.

Would like to know what everyone thinks....and see if it is currently like that in other places...

Thanks !!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be moved to the general golf talk forum

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

[b][size="3"][color="#353535"]It says this on the front description....I can put it in whatever I want to. [/color][/size][/b]

[b][size="3"][color="#353535"]Tour Talk[/color][/size] [/b]
[list=1]
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/47-lpgaladies-golf-talk/"][color="#353535"]LPGA/Ladies golf talk[/color][/url],
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/254-past-giveaways-and-contests/"][color="#353535"]Past Giveaways and Contests[/color][/url],
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/327-industry-chats/"][color="#353535"]Industry Chats[/color][/url]
[/list]
Tour and [b]amateur[/b] tournament golf topics

First Hamilton, welcome to the forum!!

It's great to have you :)

Regarding "Clubs," I'm sorta "old school(along with bein an old goat ;) ), and as I belong to a Club here in town, most of the clubs on the same tier, about 5-6, and for the low caps/scratch/Plus(-3 to Plus....), there is indeed a Club Championship(Medal) along with an Inter-Club Match Play Championship(these 5-6 Clubs + another 2-3 of those housing clubs built around a course) and various Team BB events, from Club Memorial Events(all -3 down) to USGA & Affiliated events.

You are sorta on the bubble cap wise, and while some have a -4 cut-off, as you will be competing scratch, against Plus Players, well, you see what I'm getting at. You do yourself no favors if you can't, under tournament conditions, be around scratch or below, or have the ability to do it.

We also have a "First Flight," from like -4 to 10, which does use caps.

We also have money swats, also scratch, with the same participants as mentioned above, along with Class A's(Most are apprentices in the Program and Club Assts.) captaining and filling out teams.

Needless to say, every single Guy that Plays in any of these events, plays it "down & out."

I'd say that the caps range from -2 to +6.4(A Walker Cupper).

Our swats are BB, your own ball into the cup.

These types of clubs are in every city and it all depends on what you're lookin for.

I wish you the best in your search & hope that You enjoy the board.

Great Gals & Guys!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='hamilton4' timestamp='1427733729' post='11245693']
[b][size="3"][color="#353535"]It says this on the front description....I can put it in whatever I want to. [/color][/size][/b]

[b][size="3"][color="#353535"]Tour Talk[/color][/size] [/b]
[list=1]
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/47-lpgaladies-golf-talk/"][color="#353535"]LPGA/Ladies golf talk[/color][/url],
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/254-past-giveaways-and-contests/"][color="#353535"]Past Giveaways and Contests[/color][/url],
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/327-industry-chats/"][color="#353535"]Industry Chats[/color][/url]
[/list]
[/quote]Bro, you're fine :)

If the Mods deem it better in another Section, they'll move it :)

Stay well My Fiend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Played for decades with a close friend. He is of a competetive nature, though good hearted about it. But he bumps the ball almost every time to improve his lie. Jack would remain quiet (and he would pick up his ball after three putts, regardless of the distance.) Now, after years of this Jack just couldn't take it when he started crowing about defeating Jack for like the first time in 15 or so years. It was during a bad driving time for JP as he spent all his rounds looking for the miracle second shot. So Jack murmurred something like " Yeah, but you don't really play golf either." Horrible thing to say to anyone, especially someone you truly care about. Here's the takeaway: Jack has regretted that snarky aside for 15 years now. It was and remains a powerful reminder to always take the high road. This may be wrong headed on Jack's part, but it has served him so well on the course.

Jack plays for himself the game of golf according to the rules unless otherwise stipulated by the group. Some guys don't, and Jack Pearsall is okay with that.
Jack also doesn't play anymore for money or trophies or anything other than the joy. There are many who don't get it....

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

[b][size=3][color=#353535]It says this on the front description....I can put it in whatever I want to. [/color][/size][/b]

[b][size=3][color=#353535]Tour Talk[/color][/size] [/b][list=1]
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/47-lpgaladies-golf-talk/"][color=#353535]LPGA/Ladies golf talk[/color][/url],
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/254-past-giveaways-and-contests/"][color=#353535]Past Giveaways and Contests[/color][/url],
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/327-industry-chats/"][color=#353535]Industry Chats[/color][/url]
[/list]
[/quote]

Welcome, you'll fit right in here. Rude right from the get go.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

[quote name='ChristopherMcDonald' timestamp='1427738855' post='11246355']
[b][size=3][color=#353535]It says this on the front description....I can put it in whatever I want to. [/color][/size][/b]

[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/47-lpgaladies-golf-talk/"][color=#353535]LPGA/Ladies golf talk[/color][/url],
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/254-past-giveaways-and-contests/"][color=#353535]Past Giveaways and Contests[/color][/url],
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/327-industry-chats/"][color=#353535]Industry Chats[/color][/url]
[/list]
[/quote]

[/quote]

He was a bit aggressive right out of the box wasn't he?

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1427740670' post='11246607']
[quote name='ChristopherMcDonald' timestamp='1427738855' post='11246355']

[/list]
[/quote]

[/quote]

He was a bit aggressive right out of the box wasn't he?
[/quote]

He's probably lurked for three years and taken detailed notes on this forum. This man knows that's how we treat each other, no use denying it now haha

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

[quote name='ChristopherMcDonald' timestamp='1427741032' post='11246671']
He's probably lurked for three years and taken detailed notes on this forum. This man knows that's how we treat each other, no use denying it now haha
[/quote]

I was in the forum a couple years before I ever made a comment. It was a good opportunity to catch up on common topics. My personal favorite is certainly any topic about blades.

TaylorMade JetSpeed
TaylorMade RBZ 14.5* and 18*
TaylorMade RBZ 4H 22*
TaylorMade SpeedBlade's
588 RTX 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty California Monterey

[quote name='hamilton4' timestamp='1427733061' post='11245597']
I have some bad luck joining some local golf clubs in the area. The local clubs in this area do have tournaments and some have a tournament schedule for the year. It seems around here that a scramble format is the most important to people. You would think a club that is in a city of about 20,000 and a suburb of Houston that the club championship should be the most important and have the best outcome in participation. There is also a club that just south of that location and scramble format is the only thing that is played in their tournaments. That is the only thing the "club members" care about.

I am just disappointed in the many clubs around here and "golfing one's own ball" is not of importance like it should be. It is very frustrating and maybe I am not looking in the right places.

I would just like to play with some guys that playing their own ball, playing the right way (without bumping the ball), and having fun the right way.

Would like to know what everyone thinks....and see if it is currently like that in other places...

Thanks !!
[/quote]

Most clubs only care about making money and those charities scrambles are a good revenue source for them. I wish there are more individual tournaments around here, only ones available here are mostly state run amateur tournaments. I do play certain scrambles to have a good time.

Having been here for 10 years and see every kind of members, try to be less rude, think twice before posting or you'll be shown the door.

BTW, welcome aboard.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1427814564' post='11252671']
[quote name='hamilton4' timestamp='1427733061' post='11245597']

Thanks !!
[/quote]

Most clubs only care about making money and those charities scrambles are a good revenue source for them. I wish there are more individual tournaments around here, only ones available here are mostly state run amateur tournaments. I do play certain scrambles to have a good time.

Having been here for 10 years and see every kind of members, try to be less rude, think twice before posting or you'll be shown the door.

BTW, welcome aboard.
[/quote]

Interesting... I didn't cuss or say vulgarities....

boo... freaking.. hoo ???

Welcome Hamilton from Texas

Hard to believe there aren't stroke and net events on your own ball

We have 22 men's nights per season at our club and only 1 is a scramble. We have a zillion tournaments on your own ball. Gross, net, 2 man etc

Keep at it, you'll find the right group

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Welcome to the forum. Check with your local PGA section and you should have no difficulty finding some more serious players.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu