2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

This has got me thinking. How much sooner would have TW's indiscretions come out for the world to see, if his entire career was played during the era of smartphones, and social media? No way he would've gotten more than 2-3 waffle house waitresses in before somebody is blowing up his spot.

The first waffle house waitress would have snapchatted a video of her holding the Scotty. Boom, TMZ front page story within the first year of his career.

Absolutely.

How many majors would he have won if he'd been discovered earlier, and just embraced being a horn dog pro athlete? Probably at least 25, amirite?

GTT: I have Steelfiber 95s on my PSIs and the stock steel on the Cobra one lengths. I regripped the Cobras and put @ a foot or so of backer rod in each. I had some leftover probably from 5-6 years ago the last time I had a set of steel iron shafts. Seems to have done the trick, I have no issues so far.

I did say that if I kept the Cobras I would go to Westfields to get fully fit for a graphite solution and the better I hit them, I'm going to have to take myself up on that offer. Mens league opener tonight and Bristow on Saturday so we'll see where I'm at in a few days.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Boogs, you could have seen how healthy the graphite shafts have made Fabb if you played with him in 1 of the 2.5 rounds he's played since Halloween.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

How many majors would he have won if he'd been discovered earlier, and just embraced being a horn dog pro athlete? Probably at least 25, amirite?

every single pro athlete should follow the derek jeter methodology.

that includes the post-coital gift basket and note.

both parties get belt notches.

this ain't rocket science.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Boogs, you could have seen how healthy the graphite shafts have made Fabb if you played with him in 1 of the 2.5 rounds he's played since Halloween.

MgtuAZQ.gif

1o9v8g.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Unofficial GTT:

For those using graphite iron shafts

dammit. had 'em in the car with your superfly shoes. want to hit up olney tomorrow?

I'll let you know by tonight or early tomorrow.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

This has got me thinking. How much sooner would have TW's indiscretions come out for the world to see, if his entire career was played during the era of smartphones, and social media? No way he would've gotten more than 2-3 waffle house waitresses in before somebody is blowing up his spot.

The first waffle house waitress would have snapchatted a video of her holding the Scotty. Boom, TMZ front page story within the first year of his career.

Absolutely.

Agreed. I think trying to salvage the whole wholesome clean image ended up hurting him more than just saying eff it, let me screw anything that walks and has a hole within a 2500 mile radius.

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

The graphite shafts certainly haven't made me healthy. They've allowed me to play a lot more golf while unhealthy than I think I would've been able to with steel shafts, though. Maybe in retrospect that has been a bad thing.

I think a couple others in here have used them with success. DC definitely plays them. I think DT used them for a while, to help get through a bout with some elbow tendenitis issues. I want to say chief has used/does use them as well.

They're not a miracle cure-all, but they definitely seem to reduce the amount of stress on your joints from golfing.

Performance-wise, do you guys like the graphite better than steel? Or is it strictly for injury-prevention purposes?

I like them equally, or very slightly less than steel from a performance perspective. I think the big draw of the offerings that have come around in recent years are steel-like weight and performance, with the vibration dampening properties of graphite. Steel in irons is the gold standard for any reasonably strong player, IMO.

Performance-wise, do you guys like the graphite better than steel? Or is it strictly for injury-prevention purposes?

I think it started with injury prevention for me but I definitely haven't seen any performance difference. IMO I don't think in 2017 there's any major performance degradation when you are talking about graphite vs steel shafts. Maybe 15-20 years ago when they first came out. But the quality/consistency of the Recoil/Steelfiber/Aldila offerings are all really good.

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

i don't like graphite shafts. lost all feel of the clubhead. couldn't tell if there was any performance benefit because i'd rarely hit the center of the face. main issue was that i tried one club from different people on the range, liked how they felt, bought steelfibers and recoils (on separate occasions), and just sucked big balls with them. flushed some fundage chasing that dragon.

went back to kbs tours when i got my 745s a couple years ago, been happier ever since.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

every single pro athlete should follow the derek jeter methodology.

that includes the post-coital gift basket and note.

both parties get belt notches.

this ain't rocket science.

I love the story one his one nighter's told about finding him sitting naked on the couch, watching highlights of himself on Sportscenter, pounding his chest yelling "yeah Jeets! yeah Jeets!" That's great.

Also.

There was a girl who had already received a gift basket. She came around later for a second go around. Jeter tried to give her a 2nd gift basket and she said that she had already had one. Awkward. Sure he remembered her...

I love the story one his one nighter's told about finding him sitting naked on the couch, watching highlights of himself on Sportscenter, pounding his chest yelling "yeah Jeets! yeah Jeets!"

there's one other person on the thread who would readily admit to doing this while re-living his last round of golf.

18o65q.jpg

c.free FTW

this guy too, probably.

18o32y.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

GTT: I'm playing Recoil 110 F4s.

I want to say I won't go back to steel, but I'm also cheap and don't like paying so much for golf shafts. I got a killer deal from Eagle on this iron set, which is the only reason I have them. Superfriends unite.

I'm going to be a little contradictory and say that they don't perform better than steel overall, but at the weight range they do. I was looking to get away from DG because the 130g shafts were too much after playing 18 or 36. Not a health thing, but just a fitness one where I got a little tired late in the round. I played the DG XP 95 for a bit and just did not like them. Didn't go crazy trying other lighter steel shafts before settling on the Recoils, so maybe there are better light steel shafts out there that would work for me.

on a somewhat related note:

guys - do me a favor. PLEASE take pics when we're at events. random pics are good, swing sequences are good, sock n shoe pics are ok. landscape pics are down the ladder of desirability, but hey, they work too, in a pinch.

we wouldn't have the same amount of fun in here without meme-worthy images...

so just try to snap 5-10 pics next time you're out. literally takes 2 minutes. i'll always have an google photo album that folks can add to after the fact.

thanks!

p.s. selfies. i'll even takes selfies. example:

18o0ed.jpg

sidenote: the last 3 memes were from the hive UMD photo album from the fourball tourney last august.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

:hi: Can I hijack the thread and pick y'alls brains for a brief moment? :polling:

So, I'm on a serious lean towards joining Turf Valley. I'm trying to consider all the pros and cons, and basically kind of looking for any unforeseen "ninja in the shadow" events. :ninja:

Like, I join it and someone goes, "Didn't you KNOW they actually take your dog when you join a club in Maryland? Everyone knows that!!!!" :rtfm:

Basically the deets :

$370 a month plus $66 minimum = $436 a month. Right in line with other stuff.

Two courses :nyam: . On any given day, one is always open for member play. The other course hosts a fair number of outings. On Mondays, both courses might have an outing. Small membership so it's pretty open.

Free (or should I say, "included") range balls, bag storage, locker. :nyam:

Regular club tournament sked (stroke play, club champ, member-member, member-guest, superintendent's revenge, etc). :nyam:

I understand there's a group that goes off Friday afternoon, Sat morn, Sun morn that has a regular money game. Something I'm interested in. :nyam:

TV is on my way home as much as Hobbits and Waverly and Timbers are, so the drive time is a non-factor. :mellow:

Mitigating things :

It's $4000 up front, but if you commit to 36 months, it's only $750 up front. If you quit before 36 months, you're on the hook for the rest of the $4K. So, basically, I'm signing up for 3 years of golf at a place where I'm probably only playing each course once before I join. IS THIS CRAZY??? :crazy:

OTOH, what are my options there? I can't get 50 rounds in at the place before I decide to join. And furthermore, I've had plenty of courses that I've hated after 1 time, liked after 10 times, loved after 20 times, and gone back to luke warm after 30 times, so who knows. :dntknw:

The other option I'm considering is a $2200 membership that gets me Blue Mash and Waverly (unlimited during the week. After 1 pm on weekends). I like both those courses and that's a lot cheaper, but you're still not "joining" a place. There's no regular game. They're daily fee. They can get more traffic, have outings, etc etc. :dntknw:

I think you can probably tell from my tone what I'm thinking about doing. Like I said, I've been noodling it for a while now and I'm just trying to make sure I've thought of pretty much everything.

I already know not too many people have played there, but. . .any experiences with the courses at TV would be welcome. :fishing1: One thing I like is that they seem to be very dissimilar courses. One is open and longer. One is tight and shorter. Both are par 71 and play 6760 and 6550 or so.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

on a somewhat related note:

guys - do me a favor. PLEASE take pics when we're at events. random pics are good, swing sequences are good, sock n shoe pics are ok. landscape pics are down the ladder of desirability, but hey, they work too, in a pinch.

we wouldn't have the same amount of fun in here without meme-worthy images...

so just try to snap 5-10 pics next time you're out. literally takes 2 minutes. i'll always have an google photo album that folks can add to after the fact.

thanks!

p.s. selfies. i'll even takes selfies. example:

18o0ed.jpg

sidenote: the last 3 memes were from the hive UMD photo album from the fourball tourney last august.

I can take paparrazzi pics of the cart girl.

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

Considers joining a club and is debating where to play with the conveniences he has.

#firstworldcityproblems

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

City..

TV better than Norbeck or is there any other courses on your radar?

The benefit of 36 holes by far outweighs a lot of the other stuff, imo.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Considers joining a club and is debating where to play with the conveniences he has.

#firstworldcityproblems

I'm not sure what you're actually saying, but there's like 7-8 guys in this thread that have been in a private club for years.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I think it comes down to which course you would rather play more often. I've only played the more "wide open" course and to me I'd rank it behind both Waverly and Blue Mash. That's not a knock on it at all since I think WW/BM are both great tracks. Just an observation. My understanding is the other course is more narrow with more elevation changes. I certainly wouldn't join without playing both though.

Also I don't recall if TV had grass tee options or not during the year as it was still pretty early on.

2MT is probably the best one to answer this but I guess its hard to say at a place like that how crowded it can really get. What happens if there's a conference there - does the "member course" get pretty backed up? There was a decent amount of traffic there when we played. I wouldn't say it was crowded by any means. I really hate the idea of both courses getting outings on Mondays though.

$4k up front plus @ $450 a month really seems like a lot for a not-truly-private track. Since I don't know the area I don't really know if that's considered reasonable or not, it just seems like a lot to me.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

:hi: Can I hijack the thread and pick y'alls brains for a brief moment? :polling:

So, I'm on a serious lean towards joining Turf Valley. I'm trying to consider all the pros and cons, and basically kind of looking for any unforeseen "ninja in the shadow" events. :ninja:

Like, I join it and someone goes, "Didn't you KNOW they actually take your dog when you join a club in Maryland? Everyone knows that!!!!" :rtfm:

Basically the deets :

$370 a month plus $66 minimum = $436 a month. Right in line with other stuff.

Two courses :nyam: . On any given day, one is always open for member play. The other course hosts a fair number of outings. On Mondays, both courses might have an outing. Small membership so it's pretty open.

Free (or should I say, "included") range balls, bag storage, locker. :nyam:

Regular club tournament sked (stroke play, club champ, member-member, member-guest, superintendent's revenge, etc). :nyam:

I understand there's a group that goes off Friday afternoon, Sat morn, Sun morn that has a regular money game. Something I'm interested in. :nyam:

TV is on my way home as much as Hobbits and Waverly and Timbers are, so the drive time is a non-factor. :mellow:

Mitigating things :

It's $4000 up front, but if you commit to 36 months, it's only $750 up front. If you quit before 36 months, you're on the hook for the rest of the $4K. So, basically, I'm signing up for 3 years of golf at a place where I'm probably only playing each course once before I join. IS THIS CRAZY??? :crazy:

OTOH, what are my options there? I can't get 50 rounds in at the place before I decide to join. And furthermore, I've had plenty of courses that I've hated after 1 time, liked after 10 times, loved after 20 times, and gone back to luke warm after 30 times, so who knows. :dntknw:

The other option I'm considering is a $2200 membership that gets me Blue Mash and Waverly (unlimited during the week. After 1 pm on weekends). I like both those courses and that's a lot cheaper, but you're still not "joining" a place. There's no regular game. They're daily fee. They can get more traffic, have outings, etc etc. :dntknw:

I think you can probably tell from my tone what I'm thinking about doing. Like I said, I've been noodling it for a while now and I'm just trying to make sure I've thought of pretty much everything.

I already know not too many people have played there, but. . .any experiences with the courses at TV would be welcome. :fishing1: One thing I like is that they seem to be very dissimilar courses. One is open and longer. One is tight and shorter. Both are par 71 and play 6760 and 6550 or so.

We talked about this at CP and I'm with your Dad on this: for you, its a no-brainer. Join.

I mean, Seaside at OCGC isn't great- but when you are in a money game with other members- you forget all about the layout, and just concentrate on what it takes to win. I think you'd do really well at a place where you can get a game at any given moment.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

check the history of course conditions. should be easy to find out.

ask to play both courses again - maybe a couple times with different members - before signing up.

lastly, something i'd do as a courtesy: list 2MoreTerps as the guy who sponsored/invited you. dunno if this helps him or helps you or if it's even true. but it would be a nice thing to do.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

City..

TV better than Norbeck or is there any other courses on your radar?

The benefit of 36 holes by far outweighs a lot of the other stuff, imo.

Norbeck NOT on radar. Inconvenient drive time primarily. Quite far from home, especially at 6 PM when I'd be finishing up an "afternooner". Far on a weekend morning.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green