2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

The East course is not driver all day ...that is all for now.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I'm not liking scores on the grint intentionally. They're all dog sh1t, including mine.

The greens were fast and firm, but my score was crap because I was crap. Looking forward to a couple recaps,especially on the mixing.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The course was quirky. best way I can put it.

Started well, Bogey-Golf... ended up a disaster.

Recap, Deadman edition:

Got to the course at approx. 10:30 and immediately see Eagle scooting around on his Golf Board. Get into the clubhouse and see about paying up, only to find out that the pre-payment done via PayPal already covered it. Went to the range and warmed up, about 35 balls total. Ended with a good drive. Holstered my bag to the cart, grabbed my putter and decided to initially use Bridgestone B330 RX golf balls today. Went and worked on a bit of putting, trying to always have my miss on the higher side instead of low so it could potentially kick itself in via gravity.

A hotdog with a bit of Onion later; Gmen, Tex, Kent, and myself got into our carts and drove to the first tee. North Course was nice, in my opinion. Very open, not a lot of trouble aside from water. First 4 scores were all Bogeys. I actually had a chance at a Birdie on 1, but a 3-jack later and a 6 on the card. Second hole was a 2 putt bogey after a drive to the center of the fairway and a long 5 wood approach to the green. The third was my most memorable Bogey with a 'Texas Wedge' putt from the right rough that hopped the rough and then rolled into the cup. Fourth I can't even recall. Essentially, once Gmen got some beer my game went downhill... and I don't even drink.

Back 9... long wait before tee-ing off. Hit a joke of a tee shot with my 3 wood... proceeded to slam the club multiple times into the ground out of frustration. Horrific 10 and the rest of the Back 9 wasn't much better.

Greens got funky as the day went on and the sun came out. But overall, it was a fun day. Lost 9 golf balls, got slightly ticked at myself too often for dumb mistakes.

Should be an... interesting Capitol Cup, when it arrives.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

BR is an example of a guy with money hoping to buy preference. You know why BR isn't located in a better area? The attitude of the owner. If he could play well with others, and work with people and zoning, it would be a huge success that was built in an area close to users. Instead he came in guns blaring telling everyone how great he and his course is and how he and the course were going to do everything for them and the locals laughed at him.

Look at Uplands that was trying to do an upscale spa and course in Denton. Or the "links" course that is 5 miles from QTown. Never heard of them? Because they are CLOSED.

When you go into the golf business there isn't a single person that will sorry for you. Don't complain about the neighbors or the taxes or your "treatment." Nobody wants to hear it in this day and age or economy.

RIP Bulle. I'll pour a drop, no more, out for you.

Apparently you do not know much abt the original owner who started the place. Your opinion off is way off base.

Checked the Grint. Looks like a tough day out there at compass point. How'd it look?

Suspect..

Lots of divots..

Firm and fast greens..

Going to be challenging for sure.

I can see the CC coming down to singles and the best golfer will prevail on the East or the luckiest.

protos F4

Played with earthquake this am and played like a dick. Only one shank, so that's OK. Rolled in some nice 10-12 footers, lag putting was awful. Getting speed back so I feel like I'm kind of in between where I was two weeks ago and where I was last year,and it's kind of awkward. I don't want to play white tees this year, so just need to readjust to hitting irons instead of wedges as approaches.

Only shot worth mentioning is ringing the 4i off the flagstick on #3 (200 yards lasered) bounced off the green but made par. I love this 4i right now.

Played like complete s*** today. On the range I was striping everything. Speed was great on the putting green. However on the course I was garbage. I missed two one foot putts, had a plug ball in the lip of a bunker, accidentally hit my ball into the bunker right next to me on a practice swing, but didn't lose any tee shots. Shot like a 96 or 98 and won our monthly tournament at -5 net because I was a 30 handicap going into the event.

Even though I won I'm not happy.

good times at the Golf Mixer today. course had its FU pin locations on so many holes. greens were firm and running at a decent clip. tough sledding out there for this guy, even with my A+ game off the tee. Wasted so many good tee shots. ugh.

Low Gross: Chris (THP) won $55 with an 81. Next closest was City with an 83.

Low Net: $70 to Principal Jim of the DCGT (72). Next closest was Alan with a 75.

5 Skins ($17 each):

#2 - Alan (birdie)

#11 - Eagle (birdie)

#14 - CDMack (birdie)

#15 - Alan (birdie)

#17 - THPChris (birdie)

CTPs: OCGolfRick & MDHAcker

Longest Drive: White tee Tex

i actually didn't know that the course was sponsoring these contests, and there was something going on with the scorecards, sorry for any confusion. day game winners, please see CG2 at the Capitol Cup for your dozen chrome softs.

got a couple folks interested in joining The Hive, and a couple guys who may come out and play on the DCGT. thanks to compass pointe and CG2 for hosting. much much more recap to come. hilarious times with boogs, dcvince and my white man spirit animal PAMatt.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

First I enjoyed the company at CP with Tex, Golfer and Gmen. The course was playing very different than at anytime I have played in the past. Very firm greens and faster than I ever recall for speed. I wish someone would teach the people of Anne Arundel county to fix their F-ing divots and ball marks. Last time I played there I was in 7 divots in fairways. Yesterday only 4. All in the middle of the fairway and 2 were craters. Not the way you want to start the round in a divot, but it set the tone for the day. Hit a lot of greens but could not hold them due to bad angles into the pin placements. I found the pin placements to be tuff and did not do my best job handling them due to many chips running out way longer than I thought.

Overall the group all has new EPIC drivers, Callaway balls, fitted shafts and Callaway irons. Not bad at all. LOL Tex only mentioned twice he still wants to sleep with my daughter so good day.

I'll have some sort of short knocker/long knocker report laterish..

North not too much to worry about and you can see it all.

East-- Going to need to see it or hopefully we all can compile a, you shouldn't hit here idiot report.

I'll confirm the above..I did talk about sleeping with his daughter.

protos F4

Watch the short vs long knocker stuff. I was out driving everyone but you in that group. You may hurt 827 and Gmen's feelings.

Kent if you don't punch me over talking about your drive then they will be good.

Some places y'all couldn't reach with driver but some people will be able to with theirs or even 3 wood.

---One team one fight Kent---

protos F4

Low Gross: Chris (THP) won $55 with an 81. Next closest was City with an 83.

I'd gotten over the round until I saw this. I don't know who THP is and he probably "left shots out there" too, but I left SO MANY out there. Nothing to blame except my wedge game. I wasn't in divots. I liked the speed of the greens and the pins.

This was the third time I've played the North-East route at Compass Point. I guess I've liked the course a little bit more each time I've played it, but that's not to say I really like it.

Played with DT15, CDMack, OCGolfRick. I had no idea there were CTP's or Long Drives going on, until I saw DT bringing the CTP back AFTER we played the 12th, and I saw him putting it out on 17 after we hit our drives.

I hit driver every hole on the front. I hit driver on 10 (ill-advised) and 11. I hit it on 14, but that was sort of a bunt and hit it on 17.

I was really impressed with OCGolfRick's ball striking. Never played with him before, and he ran in a couple putts, too. I can see why he'd be a dangerous partner in a fourball.

DT was a little "left-bias'ed" but I'm sure it's nothing he can't clean up with a range seshy.

First time playing with CDMack. Has a really smooth swing and nice ball flight. Putting wasn't there for him all day, and he made some "first time at Compass" mistakes, but he almost holed out for eagle on 14 and then made a 15 foot curler coming back for birdie (the only birdie from the group all day). If you played the hole, you can understand how he "almost holed out" and still had a 15 footer. That was on heels of him sticking one to about 15 feet on 11, 20 feet on 12, getting one in tight to that back left pin on 13 and then after the bird on 14, he got one into about 15 feet on 15.

That course is not a fun walk. Besides the transfers to 1 and 10, it's just a cart course. . .there's places on the front where if you don't cut through long grass, you need to circle around a stand of trees. Big transfer from 11 to 12, kind of a long walk in on 18. That's a pretty cool piece of land and it's sort of a shame that walkers are an afterthought.

I don't really know what it is about that course. . .it's 40 minutes from DC and Baltimore. It's got sandy soil, marsh birds, enough elevation change, but it just doesn't come together. The East just isn't "fun". It's like high-stress target golf. 18, I hit a 4 iron through the fairway -- what. . .we're really supposed to hit a 5 iron there to keep it in play? On 13, DT hit a FIVE iron way through the fairway and almost into the hazard (this is a par 5). With some of those greens, you should be coming off that course thinking how fun it was and it seems like every time I play it, someone is miserable and yesterday was no exception.

I don't know what to make of 8. It's cool in theory, and has a nice green, but from those tee boxes, you just want to pound a driver and watch it go sailing over the hill and you can't really do that. DT might have hit a 5 iron here, too. And then you have a forced carry off a downhill lie. Is this fun for anyone?

17 might be the worst par 5 out there and that's saying something.

The one-bangers on the front are sort of nice, but I don't like either of them on the back.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I was just thinking about this this morning. . .the funniest story from that NLU podcast (from memory. For the real version, listen to the pod). . .

One of the guys shows up there in Northern Ireland and everyone is asking him, "how's the farm?", "how's your farm?"

And he was like, "oh, that's a nice greeting", like "how's it going?" or "how's life?". "How's the farm?" He's thinking maybe he'll bring it back, see if catches on.

So, he starts using it as a greeting and is asking people, "how's the farm?"

So, one of the guys he's playing with (maybe a Brit) eventually says to him, "what are you saying?"

"How's the farm?"

And the Brit goes, "those are Irish people asking you, 'How's your FORM?'"

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Enjoying the Compass recaps. Sounds like I'm going to have to work on that 4/5 iron off the tee and keep the ball in play.

Got pulled into some domestic stuff on Sunday and wasn't able to make it to the outing, but got out on Sat. morning with MTN at UMD. Course is in solid shape. Still needs another week for the greens to recover completely from a punch, but they were in good enough shape that you weren't thinking about them during the round. I hit the ball ok on the front, but just could not get off the bogie train. Lost my only tee ball of the day on 3 when I hit one left and it bounced off a tree into the hazard. Otherwise, I drove the ball in play but just could not score on the front. Much of that was due to my putting, which was not good from distance. Made the turn at 45. Hit the ball a bit better on the back and shot 41. Hit two great 3woods off the tee on 12 and 15. Very good 4 iron right over the flag on 14 when it was playing 212. 41 on the back for a respectable 86 which was much better than my last few attempts at golf. Really felt like 86 was about the worst I could have scored. MTN had about 80% of his normal tee game. Hit a number of his typical draws right down the middle, but had 3 or 4 slight pushes that just stayed out to the right. Didn't get it him any bad trouble, but just out of position for him. Both of us struggled with lag putting, but I really like how good MTN looks with the Ping putter from close range.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

I also enjoyed my round with City, DT15, and CDmackFisher. None of us played great, I kept hitting shots into the green that would bounce off, and kept finding bunkers where it would go to the bottom with little sand. Thin layer of sand + high bounce wedge= bladed shots out of bunkers for OCGolfRick. I'm really glad I went up to see the course, if I had to play that for the first time in Capitol Cup, it'd have been ugly. At least I can fill VTNerf in when we get up to the tee boxes now. Had a lot of laughs and great conversation with the guys, I enjoyed how CDMackFisher was able to touch on all the collective thread no-nos.

"Say, what do you guys think of Club Champion in Rockville?"

(collective groan)

"I'm thinking about joining Lake Presidential!"

(collective groan)

Here's one snippet of conversation:

City: "CDMackFisher, where are you from originally?"

CDMackFisher: "Quad Cities area in Illinois."

City: "I never heard of it"

OCGolfRick "Quad City DJ's? "C'mon Ride that train..Ride ride ride?" (CDMackFisher dances to what I'm singing)

City: "Nope"

CDMF: "Its 4 cities near the Iowa border. The most well known is Davenport.

City: "Davenport..Davenport..is that famous for something, I wanna say I've heard of that.."

CDMF: (thinks real hard) "The Palmer School of Orthopedics?"

City: (no hesitation) "That's it."

As I type that out, it doesn't read real funny, but it was. I'm just thankful that so far City has not posted my mismatched socks yet. (Hey, I left at 6:30 am! I couldn't turn the lights on, wife was still sleeping!")

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

highlights:

i've got a 7 footer for birdie on #1. miss.

me: man, just gotta take the top off and we'll all be swimming in birdies.

matt (on hole 2): once we get the top button off them panties, it's on.

boogs: panties have buttons?

matt: uh, some do.

boogs: naw man. just no. unless you into that bondage shyte.

everyone: <laughing hysterically>

i putt. run it 6 feet past. matt putts (similar line). runs it 10 feet past.

me: that was just like my putt, only you did much worse.

matt: let me three putt this right quick (he does).

me: forget birdie putts. we need to take the top button off par putts.

dcvince: man it is getting hot out here.

me: you're wearing black, the sun's out AND you still have a vest on.

dcvince: no wonder i'm hot. forgot about the vest.

me: lol

our scores were basically like a train wreck. boogs and pam had a few four putts between them. many lips were hit, and the ball just wasn't going in. had some serious fun tho. always a good time when you have to back off different shots throughout the day from giggling. wendy the cart girl drove back and got us hotdogs - she got a big tip. rode the golfboard. matt said i looked like a movie star, lol. nice to have great company when your game is toilet-worthy.

some pics of the guys:

IMG_6328.jpg

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

As I type that out, it doesn't read real funny, but it was. I'm just thankful that so far City has not posted my mismatched socks yet. (Hey, I left at 6:30 am! I couldn't turn the lights on, wife was still sleeping!")

LOL. Guess who's not on instagram.

it was great. DT goes, "what's the deal with the socks?"

"Well, I heard it was going to be 90 degrees out."

Me, "OH, is that why you wore socks of different heights?"

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Quick highlight...

Deadman bad@$$ putt/chip from 30 feet off the green. Uphill at the beginning then down hill..

It was the hole with split fairways #3 on the north... I believe

Pops the ball up with the putter and rolls forever..right in!

He did a running/stumbling tiger fist pump... well deserve well deserve!

protos F4

Also, I just realized why Davenport was on my mind. You can't even believe how boring the following story is about to be :

I just re-read the Davenport Iowa wiki page.

Wait, check that. . .I just READ the Davenport, IA wiki page. There would never have been a reason to have been reading that page before now.

I got all the way to the bottom to the section about famous people and it said the inventor of SLICED BREAD grew up in Davenport. That's when it dawned on me. My parents just drove from Idaho to Maryland on I-80 which goes through D-port and pretty much the ONLY story my dad had from the whole road trip was "did you know the inventor of sliced bread was from Davenport, Iowa?"

It was actually driving me crazy why Davenport, IA was on my mind.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Quick highlight...

Deadman bad@$$ putt/chip from 30 feet off the green. Uphill at the beginning then down hill..

It was the hole with split fairways #3 on the north... I believe

Pops the ball up with the putter and rolls forever..right in!

He did a running/stumbling tiger fist pump... well deserve well deserve!

Best Bogey I've ever made.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

My recap would be a day of the L's. Longs, lefts, and absolute loser.

1) snap hook tee ball. 200 out. Snap hook into gooch. Drop at 178. 8 iron over the back trap. Nasty up and down for bogey.

2) snap hook into gooch.

3) snap hook. 174 left. Lay off an 8 iron well up hill. Fly the green into the mounds.

6) pin at 166 fly the green into the woods with 9 iron

8) 4 iron off the tee to just in front of the hazard. Snap hook into hazard

12) pin was 160 ish? Fly the pin with PW, lucky to catch the back left portion of the rough.

13) 5 iron through the FW, across the cart path, luckily out of the hazard

14) Straight ball!!! Into the hazard... drop at 175. 9 iron over the green.

16) snap hook iron off the tee. 142 left to the pin. Tell Chris "going with the short club miss here. Short of the green is better than anything past the pin". Fly the green over the mound with 51* - for city - gap wedge.

17) Snap hook x3

18) I give up.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

My recap would be a day of the L's. Longs, lefts, and absolute loser.

1) snap hook tee ball. 200 out. Snap hook into gooch. Drop at 178. 8 iron over the back trap. Nasty up and down for bogey.

2) snap hook into gooch.

3) snap hook. 174 left. Lay off an 8 iron well up hill. Fly the green into the mounds.

6) pin at 166 fly the green into the woods with 9 iron

8) 4 iron off the tee to just in front of the hazard. Snap hook into hazard

12) pin was 160 ish? Fly the pin with PW, lucky to catch the back left portion of the rough.

13) 5 iron through the FW, across the cart path, luckily out of the hazard

14) Straight ball!!! Into the hazard... drop at 175. 9 iron over the green.

16) snap hook iron off the tee. 142 left to the pin. Tell Chris "going with the short club miss here. Short of the green is better than anything past the pin". Fly the green over the mound with 51* - for city - gap wedge.

17) Snap hook x3

18) I give up.

The original meaning of the word terrific was more like "causing terror". According to online etymology, at one point, it migrated into meaning, "very great" or "severe". it was only about 1888 when the word started to come to mean "awesome" or "excellent".

If you described DT's ballstriking yesterday as terrific, people from any age would have understood what you meant.

He's got a great attitude though. I've been there with the hooks (not so much the 180 yard 8-irons) and they can be a terrific source of madness. In all senses of the word, "madness".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green