Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

What is the business model behind a place like Pikewood? Is there enough money near Morgantown, WV to maintain the costs of the facility?

Pure speculation:

Streamsong was built not because Mosaic Co. wanted to own a top quality golf course, but by building one they avoided doing an EPA Superfund cleanup on the property. I'd bet Pikewood was a similar situation, might be coal slag or something and to avoid that they built a golf course for millionaires. I think Liberty National in New Jersey is similar.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

What is the business model behind a place like Pikewood? Is there enough money near Morgantown, WV to maintain the costs of the facility?

Pure speculation:

Streamsong was built not because Mosaic Co. wanted to own a top quality golf course, but by building one they avoided doing an EPA Superfund cleanup on the property. I'd bet Pikewood was a similar situation, might be coal slag or something and to avoid that they built a golf course for millionaires. I think Liberty National in New Jersey is similar.

Sure but Streamsong is a resort property. I get why course locations are chosen do to ecological reasons but I'm curious what the economics are for a club (Pikewood) of that quality (in terms of the course) in that location. Not saying it doesn't work. I'm just very unfamiliar with the business end of it and am curious what works. Members have no equity share. It's possible there could be some tax benefits for the owners if it's running at a manageable loss. They also sell corporate memberships which might make a little bit more sense.

Pure speculation:

Sure but Streamsong is a resort property. I get why course locations are chosen do to ecological reasons but I'm curious what the economics are for a club (Pikewood) of that quality (in terms of the course) in that location. Not saying it doesn't work. I'm just very unfamiliar with the business end of it and am curious what works. Members have no equity share. It's possible there could be some tax benefits for the owners if it's running at a manageable loss. They also sell corporate memberships which might make a little bit more sense.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/bestnewprivate-2010-01

Back in 1998, Raese and Gwynne started talking about a big parcel of forest in southeast Morgantown that Greer had just acquired. (The land will eventually be mined for high-quality limestone 600 feet beneath its surface, but it will take 100 years to reach the rock from present mine shafts.) Raese thought they ought to build a golf course on the land, and both agreed they wouldn't want a modern design with lots of mounds and fingery bunkers.

Interesting " Hey. lets build a golf course till we can mine this stuff!"

Suck it, Ceejay.

Yeah, Pikewood looks like the kind of place that relies primarily on a wealthy out of town membership. Care to comment, Ken?

By Ken, do we now get to refer to Angelina as Barbie?

We finally have a complete picture. . .

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Got to speak to Goosehook, Sullgolf, DaveChen and Craig (sorry don't know his screen-name) this morning for a while.

Glad the weather allowed them all to get out on the course. Oh and that Monte guy, can golf his ball. I saw him hit some balls on the range to places, I'm pretty sure our ball picker doesn't normally have on his route, he'll probably wonder what WTF when he see's balls there.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

There is no model. The guy that owns the place build it for his own pleasure and friends he wants to play there. His membership count was zero a couple of years ago. You only play there because he lets you or one of his friends ask if you can play there. I was told last week he may have a couple of members now. Daughters boyfriend rents from the guy who own it and his roommate is related . Played it twice now. Caddie said they may do 10 rounds a week on a busy week. That was 2 years ago. Tough walk for sure, but plays shorter then the yardage because of elevation

There is no model. The guy that owns the place build it for his own pleasure and friends he wants to play there. His membership count was zero a couple of years ago. You only play there because he lets you or one of his friends ask if you can play there. I was told last week he may have a couple of members now. Daughters boyfriend rents from the guy who own it and his roommate is related . Played it twice now. Caddie said they may 10 rounds a week on a busy week.

For a place that doesn't seem to want members they sure do an S-load of advertising in Virginia Golfer and Golfstyles magazines - which are not exactly the Robb Report. Had never heard of it until I noticed full page ads showing up every month.

The private course I really want to play is RTJ with Kinloch a close second. RTJ is much closer to me if I'm out in Chantilly though so laziness wins out.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

There is no model. The guy that owns the place build it for his own pleasure and friends he wants to play there. His membership count was zero a couple of years ago. You only play there because he lets you or one of his friends ask if you can play there. I was told last week he may have a couple of members now. Daughters boyfriend rents from the guy who own it and his roommate is related . Played it twice now. Caddie said they may 10 rounds a week on a busy week.

For a place that doesn't seem to want members they sure do an S-load of advertising in Virginia Golfer and Golfstyles magazines - which are not exactly the Robb Report. Had never heard of it until I noticed full page ads showing up every month.

The private course I really want to play is RTJ with Kinloch a close second. RTJ is much closer to me if I'm out in Chantilly though so laziness wins out.

Was thinking the same thing. Membership is given a prominent place on the website. The mere fact that they are mentioning corporate memberships tells me that some membership money is critical to keeping the course afloat. I always find these sort of things fascinating from a business perspective. I was in Charlottesville last week and saw a couple of wineries. It was interesting chatting with some of the people working there about that business. For a lot of them down there, it's a vanity project by super wealthy owners that can use losses for tax purposes.

Edit - Golf Digest listed initiation fee at $30K when it won best new private course in 2009.

I just about creamed myself watching the video on Pikewood's website. What a beautiful piece of land. I have close to zero experience playing private clubs, but the land is what stood out to me most about RTJ. I don't know how you could build a bad golf course on the property.

Pikewood looks absurdly nice, the land looks unbelievable.

Crazy fun day out on the course today with Sully, THDC and Captain Cargo Shorts.

We were the last group out and got to play 12 holes on our own, then the final 6 with Monte as a playing lesson ( mostly tee shots, different yardages and shots around the green). Learned more in those couple hours than I've picked up in the last several years. For those first holes the three of us knocked it around pretty well, mostly working on what we had been told the previous two days. Definitely some great shots in there mixed with the "old habit" shots.

10/10, would do again. Only thing I could even think about wanting was maybe an "after" video or Flightscope numbers to see what potential our good swings have. Just in our group, it's obvious that applying things correctly will yield quite a bit of yardage.

Edit: Big things I learned that can be used IMMEDIATELY:

1. My perception and my own alignment don't match, bigtime. Which is why I sometimes feel that my best drives are 20 yard pushes (they're dead straight where I actually aim)
  2. Two variations of shots that can deal with really bad lies in rough and hardpan, that are nearly impossible to do incorrectly
  3. Two personal pointers that will kill my sand chunks maybe for good.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Got to speak to Goosehook, Sullgolf, DaveChen and Craig (sorry don't know his screen-name) this morning for a while.

Glad the weather allowed them all to get out on the course. Oh and that Monte guy, can golf his ball. I saw him hit some balls on the range to places, I'm pretty sure our ball picker doesn't normally have on his route, he'll probably wonder what WTF when he see's balls there.

'

How did it go with Sully and Thread Hero Dave Chen in close quarters like that? Was Sully cowering in the corner of the tent?

Suck it, Ceejay.

Was thinking the same thing. Membership is given a prominent place on the website. The mere fact that they are mentioning corporate memberships tells me that some membership money is critical to keeping the course afloat. I always find these sort of things fascinating from a business perspective. I was in Charlottesville last week and saw a couple of wineries. It was interesting chatting with some of the people working there about that business. For a lot of them down there, it's a vanity project by super wealthy owners that can use losses for tax purposes.

Oh yeah, the wealthy guy who builds his own course for he and his buddies and puts a big GO AWAY sign on it - I get that no problem. I just thought it was an odd choice to then put up full page ads in two relatively low budget, low circulation golf magazines. I'd bet they have a handful of big money corporate memberships who can bring clients there from out of town - but that begs the question where from and how the heck are you getting there.

'

How did it go with Sully and Thread Hero Dave Chen in close quarters like that? Was Sully cowering in the corner of the tent?

Obviously I've been away too long, to know that backstory...ha But both seemed like great guys.

Although Sully did ask me before the round if the course was walkable at all. I sad "No not at all" Then quickly added "unless CityGame is here"

Vokey

Crazy fun day out on the course today with Sully, THDC and Captain Cargo Shorts.

We were the last group out and got to play 12 holes on our own, then the final 6 with Monte as a playing lesson ( mostly tee shots, different yardages and shots around the green). Learned more in those couple hours than I've picked up in the last several years. For those first holes the three of us knocked it around pretty well, mostly working on what we had been told the previous two days. Definitely some great shots in there mixed with the "old habit" shots.

10/10, would do again. Only thing I could even think about wanting was maybe an "after" video or Flightscope numbers to see what potential our good swings have. Just in our group, it's obvious that applying things correctly will yield quite a bit of yardage.

Edit: Big things I learned that can be used IMMEDIATELY:

1. My perception and my own alignment don't match, bigtime. Which is why I sometimes feel that my best drives are 20 yard pushes (they're actually dead straight where I actually aim)
  2. Two variations of shots that can deal with really bad lies in rough and hardpan, that are nearly impossible to do incorrectly
  3. Two personal pointers that will kill my sand chunks maybe for good.

Just the 10 minutes or so I spent watching that last lesson on the 40 yard bunker shot was unbelivable. You guys all had it down by your second swing. I'm going out tomorrow and putting that into use.

Vokey

Not to blow up Monte's spot, since he is recovering from pneumonia and all, but on 16 he and Goose both crushed drives over the tees and cut the corner. Trees seemed to be about 200 yards out and 60-70 feet tall, so it's a lot to go over them. I drive up, and see two balls together, about 1 yard apart. Middle of the fairway, about 15 yards short of the green. Monte picked them both up before I got close (playing lesson so we were doing some chipping from another spot), and he claims his was the one further ahead :)

Edit: probably not very long by Monte standards since he was sick and tired. But this is how legends grow. Goose was 1 yard short of a sick Monte. Next month Gose out drove him by 20 yards right after Monte won the long drive championship and was in peak shape.

I'll probably write up a bit more at some point. I saw enough really good shots out of me, davechen, and goose that I can say it was a success. We knew we were just going to be picking up the last 6 holes, so we didn't keep close score. I doubled 2 of the first 3 holes, but don't think I was in any danger of double the rest of the day, which is big for my game. Probably playing in a way to get me in the mid-80s somewhere, but enough promising things that I can see that going lower soon.

Really glad I skipped out on work to go. Learned 1 or 2 extra things, but was great to get the extra reinforcement when I wasn't swinging it the way I needed to.

Not to blow up Monte's spot, since he is recovering from pneumonia and all, but on 16 he and Goose both crushed drives over the tees and cut the corner. Trees seemed to be about 200 yards out and 60-70 feet tall, so it's a lot to go over them. I drive up, and see two balls together, about 1 yard apart. Middle of the fairway, about 15 yards short of the green. Monte picked them both up before I got close (playing lesson so we were doing some chipping from another spot), and he claims his was the one further ahead :)

Edit: probably not very long by Monte standards since he was sick and tired. But this is how legends grow. Goose was 1 yard short of a sick Monte. Next month Gose out drove him by 20 yards right after Monte won the long drive championship and was in peak shape.

I'll probably write up a bit more at some point. I saw enough really good shots out of me, davechen, and goose that I can say it was a success. We knew we were just going to be picking up the last 6 holes, so we didn't keep close score. I doubled 2 of the first 3 holes, but don't think I was in any danger of double the rest of the day, which is big for my game. Probably playing in a way to get me in the mid-80s somewhere, but enough promising things that I can see that going lower soon.

Really glad I skipped out on work to go. Learned 1 or 2 extra things, but was great to get the extra reinforcement when I wasn't swinging it the way I needed to.

HAHAHA, a story that I was sure to leave out because the circumstances were suspect. He did put up 120 on Flightscope when he was even sicker Saturday, so if it means anything at all he may have gotten my swing speed back up in the northern regions. I don't either of those two drives got any roll.

At this time I'm going to say that people should be very concerned if playing Sull or THDC in a match play right now. First time I've felt good about the bracket of death.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

You've got to have that helicopter money. I actually had Caves come up twice when I played that member-guest. The second was the member in one of the teams we were playing against talking about a friend of his that's a member at Caves, and takes his helicopter down here to play it. WTF?!?!

Two alums from my college flew in their helicopters to our football field to dry the field before our big rivalry game. Baller status.

You've got to have that helicopter money. I actually had Caves come up twice when I played that member-guest. The second was the member in one of the teams we were playing against talking about a friend of his that's a member at Caves, and takes his helicopter down here to play it. WTF?!?!

Two alums from my college flew in their helicopters to our football field to dry the field before our big rivalry game. Baller status.

Do either of them play golf? Some of the fairways I've been in recently have been a bit soggy.

GTM: Bethesda Country Club. My kids went to pre-school right next door to it, so I'd always pick them up or drop them off and pine to play that course. I've played the Gold Course at Congressional, but it'd be cool to play the Blue one, since that's the signature course.

Obviously I've been away too long, to know that backstory...ha But both seemed like great guys.

Although Sully did ask me before the round if the course was walkable at all. I sad "No not at all" Then quickly added "unless CityGame is here"

Well, let's just say there might have been a match last year, and it might have been a tad one sided.

It was such a great day today out there with Sully, Goose and Monte, and it was nice to talk to a fellow Carolina fan. :)

I might talk more about Monte's clinic later, but it was nice to hear that most of the parts of my swing are decent. Just gotta really work on one issue. Way too much lateral hip motion. Can't be shakin' dat a**.

Crickets in here today.

Golf Talk Monday : If you could play one round at any private club in DC, MD, or VA - which one do you choose?

EDIT: I didn't really think before posting, but I guess none of the private clubs are actually in DC.

Coming back to this after THDC mentioned it.

I would absolutely play Burning Tree.

1) It's more exclusive than any other course in the area to my knowledge. Seems like the type of course that you don't get to play by having a ton of money or knowing someone with a ton of money, like Congressional. IIRC, DC2 and my FIL have played there. My impression is that you have to know the right political people, versus the right financial people. I feel like that's more difficult.

2) I've heard it's really laid back and they don't act like pretentious d-bags.

3) it looks immaculate on the satellite view. Satellite doesn't tell you much, but just from that it looks better maintained than Congressional which is just down the road.

Spent 45 minutes with Monte this afternoon after he was done with the clinic. It took him all of 3 swings with my wedge to figure out my major flaws, then spent the next 30 getting me to try different things to see what would click for me.

For those who have seen the D4D video, it is essentially "Shoulder out, elbow in" on the backswing and getting a more diagonal hand path to and past the ball on the downswing. A couple ball position and posture fixes and gave me some drills to work on.

Probably hit 40 balls afterwards to finish the bucket and not a single one left. I realize I have a lot of work to do to undo 25 years of playing a hook, so I can foresee some ugly rounds ahead of me.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee