Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

would love to get up to wisconsin and play some of the courses mentioned...

in other news, I just got back in town tuesday night and played first round in 3 weeks at Sunset Valley last night.

Are most courses in the chicago area saturated with water? (sunset valley was soft)

I flew in from the west tuesday night and everything looked lush and wet (Oak Meadows and Salt creek looked way flooded)

Playing Indian Lakes this saturday as part of a company outing.

I'm hoping for drier conditions.

Anyone played Indian lakes recently and can comment?

Sunset is always soggy after it rains. I'm hearing they're going to renovate the course to improve the drainage. I coached lacrosse at Highland Park HS for a long time. All the parks and fields in the area hold water.

I'm heading to eastern Iowa tomorrow morning for 5 rounds over 3 days. The forecast looks promising.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Heading up to Wonder Lake for the weekend. Might be playing Oak Grove Sunday morning. Never played there. Anyone been out there recently?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Heading up to Wonder Lake for the weekend. Might be playing Oak Grove Sunday morning. Never played there. Anyone been out there recently?

You'll love Oak Grove BMan with a couple exceptions. The range balls are pathetic and not likely to be clean.

The course is 17 great holes and one of the most messed up holes you'll play in your life in #11. Generally, it's in plus condition and you'll enjoy the layout. Knowing you'll play the tips, you will open with possibly the toughest 2 opening holes in Chicago. The first hole is around 465 and the second is nearly 480, both are par 4's. The second generally plays into the prevailing wind. The second hole green also slopes severely front to back so a word to the wise.

There are 5 par 3's and the only par 5 you'll be able to reach in 2 is probably #18. The greens are normally very good.

The course doesn't get a ton of play because of the location. Usually after 10AM it's pretty wide open. No rangers so you manage your own pace of play. The pro shop is very spartan and the bar is just OK.

You'll love Oak Grove BMan with a couple exceptions. The range balls are pathetic and not likely to be clean.

The course is 17 great holes and one of the most messed up holes you'll play in your life in #11. Generally, it's in plus condition and you'll enjoy the layout. Knowing you'll play the tips, you will open with possibly the toughest 2 opening holes in Chicago. The first hole is around 465 and the second is nearly 480, both are par 4's. The second generally plays into the prevailing wind. The second hole green also slopes severely front to back so a word to the wise.

There are 5 par 3's and the only par 5 you'll be able to reach in 2 is probably #18. The greens are normally very good.

The course doesn't get a ton of play because of the location. Usually after 10AM it's pretty wide open. No rangers so you manage your own pace of play. The pro shop is very spartan and the bar is just OK.

Cheers mate. Thanks.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Cheers mate. Thanks.

Bring water.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

A lot of bunkers have standing water in them.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Cheers mate. Thanks.

Bring water.

I was out there last weekend. The course was soft by the greens were rolling well.

Bring water. I asked about it and got a look like I was from a different planet.

Some of the tee boxes were beat up.

It was my first time being out there in a few years but still enjoyable.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Just played Thunderhawk this am. Course is in great shape. Greens were very smooth. Not as fast as Blackstone. Played like crap though. Took a lesson last Saturday and we're trying to flatten my swing and not be so steep as I was hitting out toward the toe. Wound up hitting a lot of hooks today. Had a few tee balls hit fairway and make left turns into the hazards. Course is tight with not much room to miss. Would like to play it again now that I've seen it.

Cheers mate. Thanks.

Bring water.

I was out there last weekend. The course was soft by the greens were rolling well.

Bring water. I asked about it and got a look like I was from a different planet.

Some of the tee boxes were beat up.

It was my first time being out there in a few years but still enjoyable.

I'm a big fan of Oak Grove and have been up there a few times in the last two weeks. It opens with two very long par 4s (467 and 477 yards) and has a unique par 35 layout on the front, as it has three par 3s. The numbers from the tips are great (75/144) but you can get good numbers from the blue tees as well (73.2/140) and that only plays 6613 yards. The 11th hole is a ridiculous 488 yard par 5 that forces you to hit 3 wood or 5 wood off the tee (big hitters can probably get away with hitting a hybrid). The key on that hole is to not get greedy. It's a zig zag par 5 that would fit in better at a dumpy gimmick place like Lost Marsh, but I suggest playing conservatively and hitting a wedge for position on your second shot and another wedge into the green. I did that last time and made birdie pretty easily. There are no coolers or water fountains on the course so, like other people said, bring plenty of your own water. I think the water source in Harvard is the Rock River anyway, and to say that isn't the same quality as what we get from Lake Michigan is an understatement. Aesthetically, Oak Grove feels a lot like Thunderhawk so if you like that course you'll enjoy Oak Grove.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

With the rain and an injury I haven't touched a club for two weeks so it was nice to get out to Orchard Valley today. Conditions used to be pretty spotty I quess but not anymore, fairways and greens were slick and rolling, bunkers seemed a little bare but that's fine by me. Not much to say about my game as I was feeling hung over and rusty, but my 8 iron snapped clean off at the hosel on 4 :( didn't need it for the rest of the round but I'm sure I'll see that yardage a lot tomorrow...

With the rain and an injury I haven't touched a club for two weeks so it was nice to get out to Orchard Valley today. Conditions used to be pretty spotty I quess but not anymore, fairways and greens were slick and rolling, bunkers seemed a little bare but that's fine by me. Not much to say about my game as I was feeling hung over and rusty, but my 8 iron snapped clean off at the hosel on 4 :( didn't need it for the rest of the round but I'm sure I'll see that yardage a lot tomorrow...

Because this is GolfWRX, it's safe to assume the 8 iron snapped on your second shot into the par 5, right? 350 yard drive, 170 yard 8 iron, correct?

It was that slow, huh?

Just so some of you skeptics don't get any ideas.

Welcome to the dark side with the ClicGear!

I've had the Clicgear box at the Golfsmith cash register a few times the last few years. Every time the clerk told me to swipe my card I froze. I had my own personal hang up about it. What an idiot, after a month, it's one of my best golf purchases. I love it.

Got out to Water's Edge this morning, always like the course but every year it seems to be a little more goat trackish. Regardless of the lack of conditioning it was still a fun round, had some bad luck and some struggles so it wasn't the best of rounds. Was expecting a holiday death march and we got it, we were stuck behind a family who had to congregate after every shot but it was still an enjoyable round out.

Heading up to Thunderhawk tomorrow and looking forward to it.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Got out to Water's Edge this morning, always like the course but every year it seems to be a little more goat trackish. Regardless of the lack of conditioning it was still a fun round, had some bad luck and some struggles so it wasn't the best of rounds. Was expecting a holiday death march and we got it, we were stuck behind a family who had to congregate after every shot but it was still an enjoyable round out.

Is Water's Edge worth a visit? I was a fan for a long time. My last visit, 2 years ago, the course was a total dump. I'm hoping to hear it has

improved it a little?

If you can find a reasonable rate then yes, I wouldn't pay more than $40. There's a lot of great holes on the course do it does make me sad to see it decline.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Got a late invite to Seven Bridges yesterday for a freebie round, can't argue with that. I don't remember that course being such a challenge off the tee, especially the back 9. Maybe it was the wind, maybe it was the back tees, but there were very few tee shots I felt comfortable over, and even the few shots where it was more comfortable there were some trees just off the tee box to contend with, not in the way so much but just enough to make you think twice about certain shot shapes. Into the wind the back 9 was tough, 10, 11, 12 there isn't much room to miss, and 10 and 12 tick me off. No reason to cut off the fairways and take shots away. I was pretty pleased with the course though, lots of challenges and spots to ruin a round. There were more trees than I remembered, which had a nice, older feel to it. Course was in nice shape, some dead spots here and there but nothing terrible. Greens rolled pretty smooth and very quick, but they were also soft so ball and feet marks I'm sure would be an issue later in the day. Overall given the complaints many have had here I was expecting much worse, but I was very pleasantly surprised, played 4:30 on a holiday starting at 9, not bad. But I can see where if conditions were slightly worse that many could be disappointed given the rack rate and how much it's been talked up in previous times. Still surprised they built a course like that and neglected to put in a driving range, especially given the land surrounding it, a lot of which was open and available at the time it was built. Even the land just north of the course appears available, if not protected wetlands.

As to my game, I sucked, had nothing. One of those rounds where if I hit a fairway I'd hit a terrible approach, or if I had a decent birdie opportunity I ended up blowing it and scrambling for par. I had a few holes in a row where I figured it out, only to make a mistake and give it all back.

Is Water's Edge worth a visit? I was a fan for a long time. My last visit, 2 years ago, the course was a total dump. I'm hoping to hear it has

improved it a little?

From my return visit to Waters Edge a couple years ago I wouldn't go back and play it for anything more than $25 and even then i would only do it if i was in the area and it was at off hours. Place turned into a total s*** hole. I doubt its gotten better since.

Real shame cause it was a great course 10 years ago.

Got a late invite to Seven Bridges yesterday for a freebie round, can't argue with that. I don't remember that course being such a challenge off the tee, especially the back 9. Maybe it was the wind, maybe it was the back tees, but there were very few tee shots I felt comfortable over, and even the few shots where it was more comfortable there were some trees just off the tee box to contend with, not in the way so much but just enough to make you think twice about certain shot shapes. Into the wind the back 9 was tough, 10, 11, 12 there isn't much room to miss, and 10 and 12 tick me off. No reason to cut off the fairways and take shots away. I was pretty pleased with the course though, lots of challenges and spots to ruin a round. There were more trees than I remembered, which had a nice, older feel to it. Course was in nice shape, some dead spots here and there but nothing terrible. Greens rolled pretty smooth and very quick, but they were also soft so ball and feet marks I'm sure would be an issue later in the day. Overall given the complaints many have had here I was expecting much worse, but I was very pleasantly surprised, played 4:30 on a holiday starting at 9, not bad. But I can see where if conditions were slightly worse that many could be disappointed given the rack rate and how much it's been talked up in previous times. Still surprised they built a course like that and neglected to put in a driving range, especially given the land surrounding it, a lot of which was open and available at the time it was built. Even the land just north of the course appears available, if not protected wetlands.

As to my game, I sucked, had nothing. One of those rounds where if I hit a fairway I'd hit a terrible approach, or if I had a decent birdie opportunity I ended up blowing it and scrambling for par. I had a few holes in a row where I figured it out, only to make a mistake and give it all back.

So the Launcher didn't perform? What's going in the bag now?