Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Tomorrow's forecast looks pretty rough with a good chance of storms throughout the day. Sunday morning looks a bit better, but the storms return in the afternoon.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Played Heritage Bluffs yesterday. I really like this course. Got a bit of everything. However, the area got hammered with rain the last few days. Yesterday, it was cart path only and the starter mentioned it may be the same for the next few days.

The $36 with cart after 2:00 is a screaming deal!

Ugh. I wouldn't play cart path only for $0.01.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I just read somewhere, I think CDGA Magazine, that Ruffled Feather's new owners invested in improved conditions?

But, I haven't played there in a few years, so don't base your decision on this tid bit.

I read the same thing and based on what I've seen on the last round I played there in July they must have put about $20 into improving conditions.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Played Maple Meadows this morning, first group off, first time I've gone off early there. I don't know if it's just being the first group and not having 100+ people ahead of you or if they just freshly mowed and rolled the greens, but the greens rolled very nicely there today. Not necessarily fast, but definitely true, more than I remember any other time there. Very nice. The par 3 2nd green was still a mess as always though.

Been struggling with the driver lately so I decided to bring out the old Cleveland Launcher 400 and had a good day with it. All but 1 drive was right where I wanted, might have to throw it in the bag for tomorrow as well.

I just read somewhere, I think CDGA Magazine, that Ruffled Feather's new owners invested in improved conditions?

But, I haven't played there in a few years, so don't base your decision on this tid bit.

I read the same thing and based on what I've seen on the last round I played there in July they must have put about $20 into improving conditions.

It's too bad it's gone downhill. When RF first opened it was pristine.

Played Maple Meadows this morning, first group off, first time I've gone off early there. I don't know if it's just being the first group and not having 100+ people ahead of you or if they just freshly mowed and rolled the greens, but the greens rolled very nicely there today. Not necessarily fast, but definitely true, more than I remember any other time there. Very nice. The par 3 2nd green was still a mess as always though.

Been struggling with the driver lately so I decided to bring out the old Cleveland Launcher 400 and had a good day with it. All but 1 drive was right where I wanted, might have to throw it in the bag for tomorrow as well.

Not many holes you'll need to hit driver tomorrow!

I'm told I need to go aggressive tomorrow.

I'm told I need to go aggressive tomorrow.

Tomorrow for you is all about the wedges.

And of course, putting.

Well, with the threat of storms tomorrow I didn't want to trek far from the city only to be washed out, so I booked an early morning round at River Oaks. Lol. I know I'll regret it, but for $29 w/ cart, I'm not expecting much. I played there last in August '13, and it was in reasonable shape. I grew up near there, so this was my home course in grade school and high school. I still think it plays tougher than the slope indicates. While short, one must hit the ball straight on a number of tree-lined holes that run adjacent to the Little Calumet River.

Walked 18 at River Oaks this morning. I teed off at 8:30 in a steady rain, and surprise, surprise, I was the only nut on the course. It wasn't so much golf, as surfing with a 9 iron in my hand. I think I found 3 dry spots all day. Lol. Standing water in the fairways and on the greens. There was really no way to putt, so I worked on chipping.

The rain stopped by the 8th hole, but it was a slog the remainder of the round. At least I was able to dry out my rain gear before the end of the round. I can't say I recommend playing in this muck, but it beat sitting at my computer all morning.

If there is anything positive to take out of this, it's that playing in these conditions is a mental test, and it forces you to slow down, and focus. 'Never a bad thing.

What a strange, strange day. It started when I violated my #1 rule, don't go to a course that won't give you a tee time. I called Glencoe early in the morning, and the recorded message said "walking only". I transferred to the pro shop, and a voice I didn't recognize answered the phone. Normally they'll give me a tee time if I call the morning of the round, but the person said that they just made the no-carts decision, and that they expect half the regulars to bail. I asked if they could guarantee a time, but he said no, as the tee sheet is full. Apparently the regulars get a raincheck if they don't show, and they don't have to call and cancel. OK, I'll take his word for it. Of course I show up and it's steady foursomes. Finally a foursome fails to show, but I don't want to go out as a single wedged among the groups. I wait to see if a partial group shows up, but then two more foursomes show up. Ugh. If I want to play, it appears that I'll have to slot in between the groups. 'Not looking good.

Lol. I've never played that deliberately slow in my life. It bordered on painful. I felt like Kevin Na out there. Walk slow. Full blown pre-shot routine. Fix my divot. Fix 3 other divots. Line up putts four different ways. Plumb-bob. Fix ball marks. Clean grooves. Look for balls in the bushes and ponds. Chip and putt after holing out.

I didn't want to pressure the group in front of me, so I had at least an extra half hole between us. I was teeing off when they were walking off the green. The group behind me was keeping a good pace, and I left the green just as they were walking up to their balls in the fairway. Basically, it felt like I had the course to myself, as I wasn't waiting on anybody, and nobody was waiting on my "group".

Funny thing is that I had a great round. I didn't rush a single shot, and had an excellent day ball-striking with 10 fairways and 12 greens. At times I felt like time was slowing down.

The highlight of the day was birding #18. I hate that big tree on the right off the teebox, as it's always interfering with my big draw. OK, I've been practicing a fade, and I'm going to give it a go. I've tried this several times before, and it always winds up as a nasty slice, which is disaster at Glencoe with OB right. Perfect. Not as long as a normal drive, but right in the middle of the fairway. Hit my approach a tad fat, and I leave myself 143 to a back pin. A nice 8 iron flies right over the flag, and I'm looking at a tricky 7 foot left to right slider. Back of the cup.

GDN yesterday morning. It was saturated. No roll pretty much everywhere except the greens which were in excellent condition, firm, and rolling well. A few too many heavy shots from 100 out on the 2nd, 4th and 5th and all of a sudden was 3 over. Came back well with birdies on 11, 13 and 14 but finished, bogey, bogey, double. Ah well. What could've been.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

GDN yesterday morning. It was saturated. No roll pretty much everywhere except the greens which were in excellent condition, firm, and rolling well. A few too many heavy shots from 100 out on the 2nd, 4th and 5th and all of a sudden was 3 over. Came back well with birdies on 11, 13 and 14 but finished, bogey, bogey, double. Ah well. What could've been.

I was there in the afternoon and it was about the same. Didn't help things that we played the first 4 holes in the rain as well. I had a great start to the round and finished with a double on 9, then again on the back a solid start with a few birdies then finished 17/18 the same as you going bogey then double. GDN is one of my favorite courses so it's always a joy for me to be out there.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Had a great golf trip over the weekend.

Played the Bull in Sheboygan on Thursday. Very nice, difficult course. Fun layout gave you some interesting choices at times. I had 4 really bad shots from inside 120 that sunk my card, ended up with a 90. Afterwards went to a really good place for dinner in Fond Du Lac that was recommended to me last summer by an old guy ranger at Lawsonia.

Next day was Whistling Straits. See my 1 star review for details. Highlight was the awesome fish fry we found on Lake Winnebago on the way home. Picnic table style on the lake, beautiful weather and tasty perch.

Next day we played 42 holes in the rain at Lawsonia. Was disappointed that the weather softened up the Links course so my buddies didn't get to see it when it has optimal fast and firm conditions. I had a rough back nine and shot a 86 which is pretty high for me at the Links. But, rebounded on the Woodlands and shot a 82. Guys wanted to play till darkness and surprisingly my back held up and I played the extra 6 holes at even par.

Next day we played Washington County on the way to the airport. Great course, amazing value. Some of the nicest practice facilities I've seen as well. I played great and had a run of 7 straight pars, then made the mistake of looking at the scorecard. REalized I needed to par the final 2 holes for 79, of course I finished with an 82 lol.

Overall, awesome trip. My twosome won the weekend, smoked our opponents every day except Whistling Straits. Nice revenge after they beat us just as bad last year.

Zer...where's the review of Whistling Straits? Want to read about your experience.

http://www.golfwrx.c...stling-straits/

"felt like I was at Harborside". Ouch.

Had a great golf trip over the weekend.

Played the Bull in Sheboygan on Thursday. Very nice, difficult course. Fun layout gave you some interesting choices at times. I had 4 really bad shots from inside 120 that sunk my card, ended up with a 90. Afterwards went to a really good place for dinner in Fond Du Lac that was recommended to me last summer by an old guy ranger at Lawsonia.

Next day was Whistling Straits. See my 1 star review for details. Highlight was the awesome fish fry we found on Lake Winnebago on the way home. Picnic table style on the lake, beautiful weather and tasty perch.

Next day we played 42 holes in the rain at Lawsonia. Was disappointed that the weather softened up the Links course so my buddies didn't get to see it when it has optimal fast and firm conditions. I had a rough back nine and shot a 86 which is pretty high for me at the Links. But, rebounded on the Woodlands and shot a 82. Guys wanted to play till darkness and surprisingly my back held up and I played the extra 6 holes at even par.

Next day we played Washington County on the way to the airport. Great course, amazing value. Some of the nicest practice facilities I've seen as well. I played great and had a run of 7 straight pars, then made the mistake of looking at the scorecard. REalized I needed to par the final 2 holes for 79, of course I finished with an 82 lol.

Overall, awesome trip. My twosome won the weekend, smoked our opponents every day except Whistling Straits. Nice revenge after they beat us just as bad last year.

Glad you enjoyed Washington County. My in laws live in the Brookfield/Pewaukee area, so I get to play around there a few times a year. My go to has always been Brown Deer, which I really like. Last year I found Wash. Co. The more I play it, the more I like it. It's always in really good shape, the layout is both fun and challenging, the price is right, and the beer selection in the clubhouse is excellent. For those who've never been, it's an Arthur Hills design. Think Shepherds Crook and Stonewall with no stupid holes. It's certainly walkable, but it is hilly in spots.

would love to get up to wisconsin and play some of the courses mentioned...

in other news, I just got back in town tuesday night and played first round in 3 weeks at Sunset Valley last night.

Are most courses in the chicago area saturated with water? (sunset valley was soft)

I flew in from the west tuesday night and everything looked lush and wet (Oak Meadows and Salt creek looked way flooded)

Playing Indian Lakes this saturday as part of a company outing.

I'm hoping for drier conditions.

Anyone played Indian lakes recently and can comment?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

would love to get up to wisconsin and play some of the courses mentioned...

in other news, I just got back in town tuesday night and played first round in 3 weeks at Sunset Valley last night.

Are most courses in the chicago area saturated with water? (sunset valley was soft)

I flew in from the west tuesday night and everything looked lush and wet (Oak Meadows and Salt creek looked way flooded)

Playing Indian Lakes this saturday as part of a company outing.

I'm hoping for drier conditions.

Anyone played Indian lakes recently and can comment?

Yes, pretty much everything is soggy.