2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

You'll never see Oak Brook discount heavily, just not what they do. And when it comes time for cheap off-season golf they simply shut down for the winter.

Willow Crest is a better option. $49 w/ cart before 1 pm Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and $39 w/ cart after 1 pm.

I generally avoid the course during the summer because the pace of play can be rather poor given the resort nature of the place. However, and the temperatures drop, the hard core players show up, and it's not terrible.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Anyone need a 4th for Sunday morning PM me...

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

You'll never see Oak Brook discount heavily, just not what they do. And when it comes time for cheap off-season golf they simply shut down for the winter.

Last spring I played a round there and the senior citizen working in the pro shop said, "You look like a resident. $21." I tried just showing up again a couple of weeks later but had to pay full price. The guy working the desk was about 40. The moral of this story: the older the guy behind the counter, the less you'll probably have to pay.

They rarely advertise it or adjust their rack rate down, but I know what you mean. A few summers back I got out at 6:30 and the guy charged me $15 and I got all 18 in. Certain guys there are lenient, others obey the town orders to the letter.

'Nice round at Sportsman's CC this morning. It was quite cool on the 1st tee, but temperatures slowly rose through the round. The back nine was very pleasant. The course was wet with dew, but they had blown the greens, so they rolled nicely. 'Still, the course played long in the cold and wet conditions. I was pleasantly surprised at the conditions of the bunkers. They looked wet, but there was plenty of fluffy sand under the damp top layer. Pace was great. I went out with two others, so we made our way around in just over 3 hours.

Solid day ball striking with 10 fairways and 11 greens. Only one birdie on the day, but it was on one of the par 3's, which I manged to play in 1 under. 'Always a good round when the par 3's don't eat you up.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I was planning to get a round in at Harborside this morning, but once again I woke up to an email notifying me it would be cart paths only due to the rain earlier in the week. Seriously? It rained, what Wednesday or Thursday? Three or four days later it's still restricted? Oy.

Courses were packed everywhere I looked, but I was able to grab a spot at Coyote Run for $39 w/ cart. 'Not bad. The course was in good shape. The greens looked like they were aerated a few weeks back. There were small holes, but were rolling pretty decently. Even the bunkers had fluffy sand in them. 'Nothing to complain about for November golf. Speaking of which, I don't recall a nicer November day in ages. This was perfect weather...for September. Heck, I didn't even let the 4:30 pace get to me.

Great day ball striking with 11 fairways and a late season high of 15 GIRs. 'Had three birdies, but ooh, it should have been more.

I got in 36 holes today thanks to no frost delay and the best November weather we've had in a long time. Highland Woods was exactly like it always is (swampy in a few spots with chewed up rough in several places and dew on the greens for 16 of 18 holes) though there were no punch marks, which was a pleasant surprise. I haven't played since October 25 so my iron striking was inconsistent at best. However, I still managed a 75.

Highlands of Elgin looked like it was the middle of June. It was in immaculate condition and the greens were smooth, though not particularly fast. I shot a 77 but my score could have been much better since I played the par 5s in three over par. The 5s at HoE aren't very difficult and generally I play those at even, so it was a little aggravating to have so many wasted strokes. Considering I hit 12/16 fairways I should've had more than 8/18 greens. I blame it on the fact that it's November and I can't play one or two twilight rounds per week after work like I do in the summer.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

It was way too nice today to be stuck inside at work. When it rains tomorrow and brings in some more traditional November weather I'm gonna regret not taking advantage of the fact that it was 70 and sunny on Monday.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Yeah, this could be the end of it. This weekend looks playable, with a high in the mid 50's each day, but the 2nd half of the month looks cold, with overnight temperatures below freezing, and daytime highs in the mid-40's or lower.

Arlington Lakes GC on Saturday morning at 8:16 am. There are plenty of early morning openings if anyone want to join. Hopefully the frost delay won't be too long, and the course will be in decent shape. Anyone been out there recently?

Mt. Prospect GC on Sunday morning for my 100th round of the year. I haven't played the course since the renovation.

I picked up a new Clicgear 3.5+ to replace my CG 8.0. 'Should be a decent weekend to walk.

Arlington Lakes GC on Saturday morning at 8:16 am. There are plenty of early morning openings if anyone want to join. Hopefully the frost delay won't be too long, and the course will be in decent shape. Anyone been out there recently?

Mt. Prospect GC on Sunday morning for my 100th round of the year. I haven't played the course since the renovation.

I picked up a new Clicgear 3.5+ to replace my CG 8.0. 'Should be a decent weekend to walk.

Enjoy Mount Prospect.

Some of the greens are tough but the renovations really made the course much more enjoyable and playable.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Finally making it out to my neck of the woods. I might try to join you at Arlington on Saturday. Don't expect too much from it. It is a relatively straightforward park course, but I enjoy it for what it is, though I try to stick mostly to hot deal times there.

I assume no openings to your Mt Prospect time, since you didn't mention it? I do quite enjoy that course. As mentioned, some greens can be very challenging, and it definitely helps to have a bit of experience with them.

Finally making it out to my neck of the woods. I might try to join you at Arlington on Saturday. Don't expect too much from it. It is a relatively straightforward park course, but I enjoy it for what it is, though I try to stick mostly to hot deal times there.

I assume no openings to your Mt Prospect time, since you didn't mention it? I do quite enjoy that course. As mentioned, some greens can be very challenging, and it definitely helps to have a bit of experience with them.

No, I'm not expecting much from AL. I saw a few pictures, and it looks relatively harmless. At this point in season, I'm simply looking to get out an swing a club. Hibernation can wait a few weeks...or months.

Unfortunately there is no opening on Sunday at 8:12 am at Mt Prospect, as I grabbed the last open spot. With morning temperatures in the low 40's, though, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a cancellation.

Playing Steeple Chase tomorrow. I'm anticipating a frost delay since Mundelein gets a lot cooler than the city and we're supposed to have clear skies all night, but I got a 7:00 am tee time anyway. $32 to walk isn't bad. I though about playing Pine Ghettos instead but the two courses aren't that different and there's no way Ghettos is $19 better than Steeple Chase.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Just finished up at Willow Crest, beautiful day and everyone had the same idea and the course was packed. Ended up as a twosome in between foursomes, everyone in front of was playing the back tees at 6400 yards but there are 6 par 3s so it plays much longer than that and the group behind us was very good at "laying up" to about 10 yards behind us... felt extremely rushed between shots, it's just no way to play golf. Finished 9 and saw 4 groups on the 10th and no one on the front so we took a right and played the front again :superman:

This also looks like it might be the end here, long range forcast not looking super great but this was my 75th round this year so if it is the end I'm ok with that, it might just be time to pack it in and find someplace to practice winter.

Yeah, the forecast for the rest of the month looks bleak, but hopefully we'll get some decent days in December like we did last season.

Yeah, the forecast for the rest of the month looks bleak, but hopefully we'll get some decent days in December like we did last season.

Last year, we had an unseasonably warm winter because of El Niño. There won't be any tropical storms to mess with weather patterns this year, so I doubt we'll see a December like last year. Hopefully I'm wrong. I'm at 91 rounds this year and I'd like to get to 100 for the third year in a row.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Boo hoo.... I'm at MAYBE 25 rounds, and that includes 5 or 6 outings/scrambles AND 4 rounds in FL in March. Terrible year for golf- it's by far the least amount of golf I've played since picking up this stupid game. Had an invite to play Itasca yesterday but no go.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Has anyone played the Glen Club recently? Reduced rates but still high for this time of the year. It is the only course left on my list to play this year but since I have never been there before I don't want to ruin my opinion of it, if it is in rough shape. Any feedback appreciated!

I played it on 10/23 and it was in nice shape. I walked the course to save the $25 cart fee, and it was one of the nicest rounds of the year. I can't imagine it's gone to pot since then.

Just played the "Championship" layout at Black Wolf Run. It's a combo of Meadow and River courses. Can't beat the $70 green fee. Beautiful day, had fun with my brother in law. Unfortunately, I have no game. Lost two balls off the first tee, then lost another on my approach to the first green. Pretty much the same story the whole way around.

Shot a 75 at Steeple Chase. There was no frost delay, which was a nice surprise. As a result, we ended up getting around in about 3 hours. I was -2 on the par 5s with birdies on 4 and 6 and my wedge play was really good throughout the round. The greens were really smooth and were rolling pretty quickly. Personally, I enjoy being out with the maintenance crew but good God were they slow in changing the position of the holes.

Piretti Cottonwood II

90e6d3a65cbba52ab7ec286b2d996fe7.jpg

Myself with Argonne69 chipping in the background today. Needed a couple layers, but overall was a pleasant day. I started with 2 lost balls on the first hole and decided I was just going to play without keeping score, though I did manage 2 birdies on the back 9. We were 3rd group out after the frost delay, played through the 2nd group on the 3rd, and managed to finish in 3:10, which I consider an accomplishment for someone as out of shape as I am.

Anyone read about Schaumburg Golf Club's enhancement plan? Improving greens, drainage, reconfiguring a couple holes, bigger driving range, and making the practicing greens bigger. Course was in excellent shape this season so nice to see they are making improvements. Hopefully the practice areas will be big enough to chip. Couple awkward practice greens. Excited for the improvements.

Link

http://www.schaumburggolf.com/golf-enhancement-plan

Anyone read about Schaumburg Golf Club's enhancement plan? Improving greens, drainage, reconfiguring a couple holes, bigger driving range, and making the practicing greens bigger. Course was in excellent shape this season so nice to see they are making improvements. Hopefully the practice areas will be big enough to chip. Couple awkward practice greens. Excited for the improvements.

Link

http://www.schaumbur...nhancement-plan

I had found, and read that site a couple months ago. Will be interesting to see when it is all done, but that will take 3 solid years of improvements to get there. At least being a 27 hole facility, they don't have to shut down for a renovation.

Very nice round at Arlington Lakes with Buddha this morning. It was a pleasant morning, but I felt like I had on a straight jacket with the four layers. The course was in fine shape, although the front 9 greens were slow due to the morning dew. They got moderately faster when they dried up.

It was my first visit to the course, and my 140th 139th played in Chicagoland. It's a short layout, but it does have some character. It's certainly not a pushover course. Can't say I'd come back, but for the locals it's a nice local course for a quick round.

OK day ball striking, but a few errant shots with the extra layers. Putting was pretty sad on the front, as I couldn't get anything to the hole with the rooster tails spraying from the ball. Lol.

No real highlights on my side, but Buddha's two birdies were sweet. The shortest was a 15 footer on a side slope that died into the side door, and the final one on 18 was a good 20 feet. Great way to finish a round.

I'd like really like to get out for at least one or two more rounds before all said and done, had some shoulder issues and now hockey is in full swing so it's tough working around that schedule. Most of my group have packed it up for the year (3 of the 4 of us coach winter sports) but we'll see. Glad to see some of you still getting out there!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy