2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I can’t accent enough how much I enjoy the stupid name that every hole is given on the brochure-style scorecard. Dick Nugent never struck me as a course designer who would do things like give each hole an absurd-sounding name. Greg Martin, sure. But Dick really outdid himself at Foxford Hills.

Dick Nugent designed the two courses at Harborside, each with its own cutesy name. 'Can't stand 'Treachery'. 'Love 'Sand', and 'More Sand'.

It's quite amazing the number of courses Dick has designed in the Chicago area, including George Dunne, Klein Creek, Harborside, Abbey Springs, Aldeen, Big Run, Bridges of Poplar Creek, Fox Lake CC, GC of Illinois, Heritage Bluffs, Kemper Lakes, and Willow Crest.

I don't think he did Big Run, at least not the original version of it...he might have done a re-design on it?

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Anybody interested in playing Glencoe on Sunday? There's an opening for 2 at 8:24 am and 8:32 am.

I would say yes except it's a hell of a haul for me this Sunday. Now that my shoulder is recovered I'd like to get back out a few more times.....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I can’t accent enough how much I enjoy the stupid name that every hole is given on the brochure-style scorecard. Dick Nugent never struck me as a course designer who would do things like give each hole an absurd-sounding name. Greg Martin, sure. But Dick really outdid himself at Foxford Hills.

Dick Nugent designed the two courses at Harborside, each with its own cutesy name. 'Can't stand 'Treachery'. 'Love 'Sand', and 'More Sand'.

It's quite amazing the number of courses Dick has designed in the Chicago area, including George Dunne, Klein Creek, Harborside, Abbey Springs, Aldeen, Big Run, Bridges of Poplar Creek, Fox Lake CC, GC of Illinois, Heritage Bluffs, Kemper Lakes, and Willow Crest.

I don't think he did Big Run, at least not the original version of it...he might have done a re-design on it?

Big Run was originally designed by Sam Sneed. It's 86 years old so its original layout pre-dates Dick. However, Nugent did the re-design.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

White deer run also designed by dick nugent

Nugent's son designed Foxford hills

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

From the website..."Opened in 1930 and designed by C.H. Muelenford and Sam Sneed, Big Run turns 86 this year"

Interesting spelling of the co-designer.

There's a list of Dick Nugent's courses here: http://www.worldgolf.com/golf-architects/dick-nugent.html

'Quite impressive.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

There's a list of Dick Nugent's courses here: http://www.worldgolf.com/golf-architects/dick-nugent.html

'Quite impressive.

I'll say this about Dick Nugent courses: he isn't formulaic. All of the Arthur Hills courses I've played basically blend into each other. Nugent will do faux links, parkland, woodlands, prairie, or a combo that includes elements of at least two different styles. Also, he's light on lame gimmicks that seem to exist either to infuriate golfers or are strictly for aesthetic purposes.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I played Shepherd's Crook today with a couple coworkers and an ex coworker. Was chilly, but not overly windy or cold. Fairways were drenched, yet the greens were seemingly dry as can be. Also quite quick. I enjoyed the course, but being upwards of 45-60 minutes away, I can't see myself going there a lot.

Will report back on PV after the round.

2nd hole is advantageous to favor the right half of the fairway. The 3rd is not a driver hole, low 300s depending on tees. Could use one if you cap out at like 250, but not my usual play. The 6th is pretty much a 3 shot par 5, at least for me. Well guarded, and narrow opening par 5 that plays right around 500, but if you got 240 in, it is a long/narrow 240, though a bit of room to miss right if you carry bunker. 7th green tends to break a bit to the river, away and left from the front of the green, though nothing severe. Just a tendency I have noticed. On the 11th, favor the right as much as possible. There is a tree about 50 yards short left of the green that blocks the left of a bit. The green is perched up a hill, and most misses short come back a bit (sometimes a very long bit in the summer in the fast and firm conditions).

There's a list of Dick Nugent's courses here: http://www.worldgolf...ick-nugent.html

'Quite impressive.

I'll say this about Dick Nugent courses: he isn't formulaic. All of the Arthur Hills courses I've played basically blend into each other. Nugent will do faux links, parkland, woodlands, prairie, or a combo that includes elements of at least two different styles. Also, he's light on lame gimmicks that seem to exist either to infuriate golfers or are strictly for aesthetic purposes.

I've only played two Arthur HIlls courses so I have a very small sample size but the two in IL I don't feel really blend together at all. I don't care for Bolingbrook but love Stonewall. In fact it took me forever to get to Stonewall because I disliked Bolingbrook so much. Maybe somebody else can expand a bit on this because I'm curious now...

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

If you like Arthur Hills check out Hawkhead in South Haven MI.

Played there a couple of times. Pretty easy tee to green. Then it's another game.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Harborside Starboard tomorrow morning. I have the first tee time at 8 am, so hopefully I can fly around the course. The course was kind enough to comp me the round after I complained about the lack of a cart-path-only notification on my last visit. Now, if they'd only do something about the bunkers.

I wound up booking at Wilmette on Sunday morning. (Dear Glencoe GC, please reconsider your no-singles booking policy, and I'll likely play there more frequently.) I'm booked as a single in the 3rd slot of the day. If nobody joins me, it'll likely be another quick round playing through the first two groups.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Harborside Starboard tomorrow morning. I have the first tee time at 8 am, so hopefully I can fly around the course. The course was kind enough to comp me the round after I complained about the lack of a cart-path-only notification on my last visit. Now, if they'd only do something about the bunkers.

I wound up booking at Wilmette on Sunday morning. (Dear Glencoe GC, please reconsider your no-singles booking policy, and I'll likely play there more frequently.) I'm booked as a single in the 3rd slot of the day. If nobody joins me, it'll likely be another quick round playing through the first two groups.

Wow, Ive never heard of Harborside comping anything, or for that matter, having respectable customer service. Well played.

(I thought we talked about keeping quiet about Wilmette and Glencoe?)

Wow, Ive never heard of Harborside comping anything, or for that matter, having respectable customer service. Well played.

(I thought we talked about keeping quiet about Wilmette and Glencoe?)

Lol. I just got home and sitting in my inbox is an email from Harborside alerting me to the fact that it will be cart paths only tomorrow because of the rain earlier this week. What a frikin joke. Not only are their bunkers total trash, but the drainage has gotten so bad that they've had a record number of cart-path only days this year. Talk about a downward spiral.

I just booked the first tee time at Wilmette. 'Looks like it's back to back rounds there this weekend.

An enjoyable round walking 18 at Wilmette this morning. Three of us were first out of the gate, and with each playing ready golf, we finished in 3:05. 'Nice way to start this nice fall day. The course was very wet. Many of the fairways had been punched, and it was quite muddy in spots. It appears that they are in the process of killing the fairway grass so it can be replanted, so the turf looks almost dormant. It's still playable, but not the usual lush green. The greens were in great shape, and rolled quick. The bunkers were wet messes.

Solid all around day.

Played GCI this morning.

90 degree rule, the fairways were a bit swampy, and bunkers were flooded.

Besides that, the course was in good shape.

Forgot how small the greens were and they looked like they were punched already, but still rolled nice.

No leaves.

I'll play there again this year.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Replay at Wilmette this morning. A bit wetter than yesterday, with the overnight rain. 'Same old, same old.

Made the trip out to Prairie View yesterday. Just a bit more than an hour from Naperhell, or a big Dunkin Donut coffee.

Checked in and the pro couldn't have been any nicer. He offered some tips on playing the course and threw in a yardage book at no cost. The round was a meager $18.00, range balls $5 so it was an outstanding value.

The range was mats only because of the time of year, balls in good condition and the width of the range was such that you could hit shots into the wind, cross wind, etc. There were quite a few targets as well. There was a practice chipping green, another practice green with a bunker and 2 putting greens. The practice facility is as nice, if not nicer, than Aldeen and blows away anything in the Chicago area.

The course was in very good conditions with just a few rough spots along the way. It's very playable with room to hit a wayward tee shot. As was mentioned, the course seemed to play quite a bit shorter than the scorecard suggests and a lot of that has to do with the fast conditions of the course. There are several holes with a speed slot in the fairway and a few drives probably rolled out 25-30 yards more than normal. You definitely need to play the course a few times to understand exactly where to hit certain shots, or follow the yardage book exactly. The bunkers were in great condition with consistent sand throughout.

The greens are the defense of the course. They're as fast as anything we've played all year and if you're above the hole, you're in trouble. Uphill putts are definitely the only way to play this. There were some extremely tricky pin positions as well. Chips rolled out at least twice as far as normal.

From a layout perspective, there's a combination of uphill holes, downhill holes, a few doglegs, holes in the trees, holes up on vistas, etc. In other words, a varied layout. Think I used every club in the bag which is a great sign of the course design. Even though there are a lot of trees, they really aren't in play and they did an awesome job of keeping leaves off the course.

If I had to criticize the layout I'd point to the par 3's. While they were different in design, 3 of the 4 were nearly an identical distance.

It was just over a 9 mile walk and we finished the round in a bit over 3:30 which for a Saturday is great. The fall colors and warm temps made it a fun day.

All in all, this is a great facility where you're treated very well, it's a better value than even Aldeen, and you're playing a really fun course with very fast greens. Very much looking forward to playing it again!

I played Seven Bridges for the first time over the weekend. I wasn't planning on playing this past weekend but the weather was so good that I couldn't pass it up. I was also able to get a hotdeal time on golfnow so I only paid $50.

It was my first visit to Seven Bridges and I had a great time. I was straight off the tee so I was able to score, and they had some very interesting holes. Maybe my favorite group of par 5's that I've played this summer. Overall I liked it a lot, but I couldn't imagine paying the full rack rate during the summer. Lost points for no driving range, and the holes are right on top of one another. I think we saw a group hitting out of our fairway on almost half of the holes.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Forgot to mention last weekend, but driving down 290 I noticed that suddenly the new Oak Meadows is looking pretty green. I was surprised as all summer all I saw was dirt, but there's a course there now. Can't really see much or tell what's going on or been done, but the part you can see is clearly more open tree wise than it used to be. But also what you can see isn't really part of the course anymore. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Forgot to mention last weekend, but driving down 290 I noticed that suddenly the new Oak Meadows is looking pretty green. I was surprised as all summer all I saw was dirt, but there's a course there now. Can't really see much or tell what's going on or been done, but the part you can see is clearly more open tree wise than it used to be. But also what you can see isn't really part of the course anymore. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

It's quite a bit different than the old layout with only a few holes looking like they're the same. The drawing suggests better incorporation of Salt Creek into the course and also some forced carries over the wetlands. They're also using quite a bit of the Maple Meadows 9 hole course as well.

Have you heard anything regarding the clubhouse? They were battling with the insurance company over the value of the loss but I haven't heard anything on that for a while.

Oak_Meadows_Rendering_W.jpg

There will be a new clubhouse

They went out for bids for the clubhouse within the last 3 months

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Amazing how they turned 9 holes of golf from the East 9 into 4 holes. Hole #2 looks very interesting, never cared for the existing holes 3 and 5.

I haven't heard a thing on the clubhouse, but given that it was 2009 when it burned I don't expect much. If you look at the diagram there's a putting green now where part of the original clubhouse was, so it's definitely shrinking in size. I loved that old clubhouse, really old school and unique.

From the RFQ...this isn't even a bid...just a qualification process to see if you can be included in the bid.

"Main components of the work will include the development of three alternative floor plans that will accommodate a kitchen, bar/snack bar, meeting room/banquet room, business office and patio. The possibility of integrating the pro shop into the clubhouse should be evaluated, as well as the preliminary design of the necessary utilities to serve the building. The building should be sited to maximize views in accordance with the Oak Meadows Golf Preserve master plan while also promoting operational efficiencies (customer flow bag drop, cart staging area, practice areas, etc.). A minimum of two perspective renderings for each alternative shall be included. This information developed will be used to determine the feasibility and support for the construction of the new clubhouse."

Sadly, it's too late for the firm of Pelz and Nutz to put their design in. I know...you're bummed...very understandable.

#10, 16, 17, and 18 looked unchanged. #1 looks the same. Wasn't the new #6 the old #2?

Holes 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 and 18 appear untouched holes leftover from the original design. Holes 3 and 5 are from the east 9 and appear untouched, maybe number 5 is re-routed a little bit. 10 and 17 used to be short par 4s but are now long par 3s. 15 and 16 look like existing holes as well with a little work done, 16 looks like the old 15 with a different tee box and angle.

Greg Martin did the design for Oak Meadows as well as the changes at Springbrook and this little gem is on his website as well.

"Settler's Hill Golf Course

Plans are in review at Settler’s Hill Golf Course for improvements to Settlers Hill. Improvements to this golf course, on the Settler’s Hill Landfill in Kane, County, Illinois, require tedious review and approval due to its location on the top of a closed landfill. Improvements include: addition of a practice range, renovations to features, expansion of the irrigation system, some slight re-routings of holes and better drainage."

#10, 16, 17, and 18 looked unchanged. #1 looks the same. Wasn't the new #6 the old #2?

Agree with 1, 10, 17 and 18 but 16 used to be the short par 3 over the creek.

That's right.

A little hard to see, but...

ls.jpg