Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Thanks for all the north side input!

And sounds like we need a comprehensive and transparent GolfWRX Chicagoland rating system... I have some ideas, and will start putting together some categories and a ranking methodology. Hypothetically speaking, am wondering if a template were provide would people be willing to provide input, say over the upcoming winter season when in theory most of us have at least a few extra hours to spare?

You guys are forgetting Willow Glen (across from the naval base). It's tier 2 or 3 (decent par 71 layout, great value, but spongy greens and issues with pace) but the guy in the pro shop is a real gem. He's an old navy man who still talks like a sailor regardless of who his audience is. I don't think I can post some of the comments he's made to us on here but they're fantastic in an "I'm old, have a military pension, and can say whatever I want" kind of way.

There is a guy that is a sweetheart. And by that I mean he's a punk with a few letters changed but you get to keep the first and last letter.

Showed up one morning, apparently before they were open but the shop door was unlocked and he was pulling. There are no hours posted, carts are pulled out so we walk in to the shop. This guy came screaming as if he was under attack, mfing me and a friend because we walked in to the unlocked shop looking to pay.

We just got back in our car and left.

I just chalked it up to drinking too much of the water that is leaching from that military landfill th course is on.

Won't go back. I've found much better in the area.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

seems like a good time for a North shore Muni ranking!

Tier 1: Lake Bluff

Tier 2: Sportsman, Deerfield, Glenview, Glencoe, Wilmette

Tier 3: Winnetka, Deerpath, Highland Park, Sunset Valley (pre-redo)

Did I miss any?

I think Tier 1 separates itself from tier 2 by having more interesting layouts as well as better greens. Tier 2 courses are still very nice for what they are. I would avoid all Tier 3 courses unless desperate.

EDIT: somehow forgot the course a mile from my office, Glencoe. Also moved Wilmette down to tier 2, don't think its as good as Lake Bluff and definitely not for the prices they charge.

I love having lake bluff close. In the summer I play multiple times a week. Easy walk, great rates and a pool to cannonball into after. That whole complex is like a country club. Pool, tennis, paddle, golf.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

Zero, I play the North Shore courses a lot, so I feel comfortable chiming into this discussion. I basically agree with your rankings. I always enjoyed Sunset, so I'd probably put it in my tier 2. I hate Winnetka, so that would be tier 100. Glenview Park and Willow Hill should be on there, tier 2 or 3. Of those listed I play Glencoe the most, then Wilmette and Lake Bluff. I only play these courses weekday afternoons for $30 or less. I would never pay $50 or more to play them on a weekend. I'd rather go to Stonewall, Shepherds, Pine Meadow. I like White Deer, however, it's not really walkable, so it's no on my radar. I hate Thunderhawk(I know I'm the only one).

Shewami CC in Watseka(?) IL tomorrow...Scramble, should be fun.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Zero, I play the North Shore courses a lot, so I feel comfortable chiming into this discussion. I basically agree with your rankings. I always enjoyed Sunset, so I'd probably put it in my tier 2. I hate Winnetka, so that would be tier 100. Glenview Park and Willow Hill should be on there, tier 2 or 3. Of those listed I play Glencoe the most, then Wilmette and Lake Bluff. I only play these courses weekday afternoons for $30 or less. I would never pay $50 or more to play them on a weekend. I'd rather go to Stonewall, Shepherds, Pine Meadow. I like White Deer, however, it's not really walkable, so it's no on my radar. I hate Thunderhawk(I know I'm the only one).

I agree that Winnetka is terrible and probably the most overpriced of all the north shore munis. I don't share your love for Sunset, always thought it was the dumpiest of all the area courses. It will be interesting to see how it looks after the remodel. Highland Park CC is the least playable of all the courses, trees trees and more trees.

Didn't add Willow Hill cause its only 9, but pound for pound its definitely up there although the green speeds leave a little to be desired.

You guys are forgetting Willow Glen (across from the naval base). It's tier 2 or 3 (decent par 71 layout, great value, but spongy greens and issues with pace) but the guy in the pro shop is a real gem. He's an old navy man who still talks like a sailor regardless of who his audience is. I don't think I can post some of the comments he's made to us on here but they're fantastic in an "I'm old, have a military pension, and can say whatever I want" kind of way.

Never even heard of it somehow. But, I wouldn't consider it a north shore course since its in North Chicago. I would put Lake Bluff as the cut off to the north, Deerfield as the cut off to the west.

'Sounds like we need to start with agreeing on the boundaries for the various areas around Chicago. :taunt: Yeah, Lake Bluff is probably a good cutoff.

"The North Shore consists of many affluent suburbs north of Chicago, Illinois, bordering the shores of Lake Michigan. These communities fall within suburban Cook County and Lake County. The North Shore's membership is often a topic of debate, and is sometimes expanded to include other affluent Chicago suburbs which do not border Lake Michigan. However, Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff are generally considered to be the core members of the North Shore, as all are affluent communities that border the lake just north of Chicago. Other suburbs such as Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Highwood, Skokie, and Northfield are often considered to be a part of the North Shore, but do not border Lake Michigan." - Wikipedia

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

'Sounds like we need to start with agreeing on the boundaries for the various areas around Chicago. :taunt: Yeah, Lake Bluff is probably a good cutoff.

"The North Shore consists of many affluent suburbs north of Chicago, Illinois, bordering the shores of Lake Michigan. These communities fall within suburban Cook County and Lake County. The North Shore's membership is often a topic of debate, and is sometimes expanded to include other affluent Chicago suburbs which do not border Lake Michigan. However, Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff are generally considered to be the core members of the North Shore, as all are affluent communities that border the lake just north of Chicago. Other suburbs such as Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Highwood, Skokie, and Northfield are often considered to be a part of the North Shore, but do not border Lake Michigan." - Wikipedia

ha, sounds like I pretty much nailed it with Lake Bluff to the north and Deerfield to the west.

would have to include vernon hills for White Deer Run and mundelein for Pine Meadow

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Best Public Track Closest to North Side of City...?

Need some help for this long Holiday weekend for some gamers who will be staying in River North. I frequent the west/sw burbs so have that covered, but would like to give a couple options that are drivable to the north also.

Thanks!

How did we get to North Shore courses?

The original request was for best, closest courses to River North

seems like a good time for a North shore Muni ranking!

Tier 1: Lake Bluff

Tier 2: Sportsman, Deerfield, Glenview, Glencoe, Wilmette

Tier 3: Winnetka, Deerpath, Highland Park, Sunset Valley (pre-redo)

Did I miss any?

I think Tier 1 separates itself from tier 2 by having more interesting layouts as well as better greens. Tier 2 courses are still very nice for what they are. I would avoid all Tier 3 courses unless desperate.

EDIT: somehow forgot the course a mile from my office, Glencoe. Also moved Wilmette down to tier 2, don't think its as good as Lake Bluff and definitely not for the prices they charge.

OK, I see it was here where the turn was made to North Shore muni rankings...

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Actually, Harborside is closer to River North than Glencoe GC.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

fyi, we got 1.5" in libertyville area (des plaines river precip gauge at 120) on monday.

TM TP5x

Actually, Harborside is closer to River North than Glencoe GC.

but has much worse traffic coming back into the city if you finish your round during evening rush. From Glencoe you can hop on Sheridan road and have a nice ride into the city. From Harborside you're stuck on the Dan Ryan shitshow.

Well, there's always the scenic Stony Island and LSD. :happy:

fyi, we got 1.5" in libertyville area (des plaines river precip gauge at 120) on monday.

I think some areas got more then that. 2 inches + and even reports of 4 - 5 inches, which we can't locate. Some streets/basements crawls flooded, again.

Its been a weird summer.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I think some areas got more then that. 2 inches + and even reports of 4 - 5 inches, which we can't locate. Some streets/basements crawls flooded, again.

Its been a weird summer.

yeah, a buddy played steeplechase yesterday and said that there was 2 feet of standing water in a greenside bunker on 3, and there were reports of flooding in Libertyville, so I think that you are right.

TM TP5x

would have to include vernon hills for White Deer Run and mundelein for Pine Meadow

nope, too far west. Both outside the borders of Deerfield-Lake Bluff-Lake Michigan-Evanston

That western border is a bit nebulous for me.

need a clearer western border from evanston to lake bluff, not just one place, IMO

What is the west end of Deerfield, Milwaukee Ave?

Riverwoods Ave?

TM TP5x

nope, too far west. Both outside the borders of Deerfield-Lake Bluff-Lake Michigan-Evanston

That western border is a bit nebulous for me.

need a clearer western border from evanston to lake bluff, not just one place, IMO

What is the west end of Deerfield, Milwaukee Ave?

Riverwoods Ave?

I would say 294 is the border to the west with Deerfield golf course being allowed in because the town is entirely east of 294.

That sounds reasonable, I was going to say 94/294 should be the western boundary.

I don't play much golf in the North Shore, even though I live about a mile from 94 at Rt 120.

TM TP5x

I was going to say route 41 or 43 and the immediate vicinity

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I'm heading to Lafayette, IN tomorrow for 4 days, and 6 rounds. 'Might play a 7th on the way back home if my back allows it.

... Played my standby Prairie Bluff today with 3 guys in their 70's and they were decent players, maybe 12's or so. But they wanted to play the tips at 7007 and I have not p;aded back there in years. They like to rotate tee boxes so the course is always different and they play white, blue and every now and then the Golds. Good 10 mph winds gusting to 15 but straight from the west. I was surprised how playable PB is from 7007 yards with the exception #7 and #16. #7 was a beast dead into the wind and as you guys know all uphill. Hit a good drive and a decent 5 wood coming up about 10 yards short of the green. But all in all I enjoyed playing about every club in my bag. Last time out shot 68 from the Blues but carded a 75 today from the Golds and played it about about an average round and got up and down a few times but there will be no sub par rounds from those tees.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

I'm playing Prairie View and Aldeen on Friday. I just played PV a couple of weeks ago but I really enjoyed it since it was the first time I'd seen it with leaves on the trees. I don't think that far west got as thumped by the rain as the north and northwest Chicago burbs either.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I'm playing Prairie View and Aldeen on Friday. I just played PV a couple of weeks ago but I really enjoyed it since it was the first time I'd seen it with leaves on the trees. I don't think that far west got as thumped by the rain as the north and northwest Chicago burbs either.

... In fact we could use some rain. Ht or miss here. I live in Bolingbrook and went to Naperbrook for a quick round Tuesday and the lightening siren went off as I was walking out of the clubhouse. Started to rain about 10 minutes later and got a pretty good soaking so I got a raincheck and left an hour later. Got home, which is only about 5 miles away and it hadn't rained at all. Our organic vegetable garden could use some rain. I know that sounds crazy with Texas and the northern suburbs getting killed.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

GDN tomorrow morning. Only the 6th game there this year Pelzy. By choice.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]