2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

... After playing The General and Prairie Landing with back problems that affected my swing, I got healthy at Cog Hill #1 with my wife and son. 69 on the course that will always boost your confidence even from the back tees. Birdied all the par 5's and rolled one in off the fringe on #12. Very interesting tournament that was going on the front 9 and course #3. Looked like about 6-9 yr olds and a few swings from very little kids were just jaw dropping. Saw one really little guy take a swing on the 9th hole and the club was literally a blur and I am guessing it was just over 200 yds. Could not have been much more than 80lbs. Several others had very fast looking club head speeds for such little kids. Didn't get to see iron shots or putting but to say it was impressive is an under statement. And humbling too.

This is GolfWRX. We were all hitting it 250 by our 10th birthday.

In all seriousness, dang. Impressive.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

After 6 days, 7 trains, 5 taxis, 1 bus, 12 bikes, 2800 miles, 11 pubs, over 30 tasty craft beers, and zero TSA gropings, my summer train trip has ended. Sigh. Back to reality, and back to the golf.

'Nice round at Harborside Port this morning. The conditions were calm as could be. The course, minus the remaining unfinished bunkers, was in great shape. A little wet in a few spots, but very playable. I was driving the ball well, but the Port course seems to make it harder to find a fairway. I still managed 13 greens, so the misses weren't too bad. Overall, a decent day scoring.

I started out on Starboard that morning. Tee in the ground at 6:30, made the turn at 7:40 only to find they put a full outing off the back nine. Literally a 6 man group shotgun. They said nothing as I booked or checked in. They moved me to Port back 9, but this is the 2nd time this year it's happened to me. Harborside is so poorly managed it's sad. They give me more notice about cart path only than they do about a 110 man outing that they will put ahead of me. As I reminded them, there is a reason guys choose to play that early in the morning, speed. I'm not waking up at 5:30 to play a 4 hour round, let alone the 5-6 hour round made famous by Harborside.

Another thing, if it's past the tee time and the other 3 guys in a threesome aren't checked in yet. Don't make me wait to tee off for them to get there because of your new "two cart per group" policy.

Harborside needs some new management

Tried to play Prairie Landing yesterday. Got to the first green and there was probably 1/4 inch top dressing of sand on the green. Decided not to continue from there. Most frustrating part is no one at the course mentioned it.

Bummer. I played PL on Sunday. The greens were really nice. Surprised to hear they top dressed them.

Tried to play Prairie Landing yesterday. Got to the first green and there was probably 1/4 inch top dressing of sand on the green. Decided not to continue from there. Most frustrating part is no one at the course mentioned it.

... One of the things I find frustrating is ground repair crews moving forward as you play. We caught up to them on #3 last time we played Prairie Landing and they were with us for 5 holes cutting the grass around the greens. If they start at 18 and go backwards instead of forward from #1 you only deal with them once or twice.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I got out to Lake Bluff yesterday. The course is starting to fill in after the flooding killed off about 10% of the fairways. They still have the areas roped off as ground under repair, but its good to know there is an end in sight.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

After 6 days, 7 trains, 5 taxis, 1 bus, 12 bikes, 2800 miles, 11 pubs, over 30 tasty craft beers, and zero TSA gropings, my summer train trip has ended. Sigh. Back to reality, and back to the golf.

'Nice round at Harborside Port this morning. The conditions were calm as could be. The course, minus the remaining unfinished bunkers, was in great shape. A little wet in a few spots, but very playable. I was driving the ball well, but the Port course seems to make it harder to find a fairway. I still managed 13 greens, so the misses weren't too bad. Overall, a decent day scoring.

I started out on Starboard that morning. Tee in the ground at 6:30, made the turn at 7:40 only to find they put a full outing off the back nine. Literally a 6 man group shotgun. They said nothing as I booked or checked in. They moved me to Port back 9, but this is the 3rd time this year it's happened to me. Harborside is so poorly managed it's sad. They give me more notice about cart path only than they do about a 110 man outing that they will put ahead of me. As I reminded them, there is a reason guys choose to play that early in the morning, speed. I'm not waking up at 5:30 to play a 4 hour round, let alone the 5-6 hour round made famous by Harborside.

Another thing, if it's past the tee time and the other 3 guys in a threesome aren't checked in yet. Don't make me wait to tee off for them to get there because of your new "two cart per group" policy.

When I pulled up to the bag drop the young man asked me if I was part of the outting playing on Starboard. I said no, I'm on Port. That's the only clue I had that there was an outing out there.

Contact them. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered you a free round. I know my constant kvetching has slooooly paid dividends. 'Not sure what they could do about an outing other than force them to keep pace. I've had decent luck with pace over the past few years. I think 4:30 has been my worst round, albeit I bail on the course if it's cart path only.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Earlier this year I won a round at Flossmoor CC in a charity auction, and I have the round scheduled for Saturday morning. The weather forecast looks great, and I'm really looking forward to it. I assume the greens will be rather quick, which will be a nice treat. Hopefully my driver will cooperate. I imagine the parkland course is a lot less forgiving off the tee compared to Harborside.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

That's awful. I had that a few years back on a weekend trip to Boyne, was a big bummer for the trip.

Has anyone played Grand Geneva recently? I'm supposed to play both courses next week and was wondering how the conditioning is. It's either that or try to do the unlimited daily golf at Geneva National.

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

I started out on Starboard that morning. Tee in the ground at 6:30, made the turn at 7:40 only to find they put a full outing off the back nine. Literally a 6 man group shotgun. They said nothing as I booked or checked in. They moved me to Port back 9, but this is the 3rd time this year it's happened to me. Harborside is so poorly managed it's sad. They give me more notice about cart path only than they do about a 110 man outing that they will put ahead of me. As I reminded them, there is a reason guys choose to play that early in the morning, speed. I'm not waking up at 5:30 to play a 4 hour round, let alone the 5-6 hour round made famous by Harborside.

When I pulled up to the bag drop the young man asked me if I was part of the outting playing on Starboard. I said no, I'm on Port. That's the only clue I had that there was an outing out there.

Contact them. I wouldn't be surprised if they offered you a free round. I know my constant kvetching has slooooly paid dividends. 'Not sure what they could do about an outing other than force them to keep pace. I've had decent luck with pace over the past few years. I think 4:30 has been my worst round, albeit I bail on the course if it's cart path only.

I have no beef with the outing to be honest. Harborside could have done 1 of the following and had it be logical:

1.) Let me know before I start that I should move to Port, or send me an email letting me know of the booking.

2.) Don't allow me to make a tee time in the first place. You have an outing, every other course would shut down their tee sheet.

I have no beef with the outing to be honest. Harborside could have done 1 of the following and had it be logical:

1.) Let me know before I start that I should move to Port, or send me an email letting me know of the booking.

2.) Don't allow me to make a tee time in the first place. You have an outing, every other course would shut down their tee sheet.

I don't know about #2. Unless the outing had 36 foursomes, i.e. a full shotgun, a course is not going to close the entire teesheet. I do agree that they should have notified all players on Port.

The worst situation I ran into was at Gleneagles, which earned them a spot on my permanent sh*t list. When we got to the 13th tee there was a group on the teebox that we didn't recognize. Apparently there was an outing, and instead of starting them behind the morning wave, they simply sent them out to "merge" with the existing groups on the already full course. Every teebox had a new foursome on it. A total cluster f*ck.

... I have learned the hard way if a Hot Deal tee time on Golfnow looks too good to be true, call the course and see if there is an outing. I made the mistake twice and got behind 6 hour outings and will not make that mistake again.

I don't know about #2. Unless the outing had 36 foursomes, i.e. a full shotgun, a course is not going to close the entire teesheet. I do agree that they should have notified all players on Port.

The worst situation I ran into was at Gleneagles, which earned them a spot on my permanent sh*t list. When we got to the 13th tee there was a group on the teebox that we didn't recognize. Apparently there was an outing, and instead of starting them behind the morning wave, they simply sent them out to "merge" with the existing groups on the already full course. Every teebox had a new foursome on it. A total cluster f*ck.

Gleneagles must have great deals on outings. They seem to always have one going on.

Gleneagles must have great deals on outings. They seem to always have one going on.

I wouldn't disagree. It's not like the course can lose any money on them if they simply dump them on a full course. Pure profit.

I'm saying they let me tee off at 6:30 and booked a 7:30 shotgun on practically the entire course. I'm not sure how that's even possible. They should close the morning tee sheet down if they know the guys who tee of before the outing will be impacted

Ravisloe Saturday morning. We have 2 spots open for our two foursomes at 7:30. PM me if there's any interest.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Taking 2 weeks off really showed today. Was really off but nice to get back out there again.

Bartlett Hills greens are top dressed and inconsistent. Couldn't make a damn putt outside of 6'.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Got out on Medinah #2 today. Just redid last year and opened this earlier this year. Was fun. Not long at all playing 6400 from the back. Great undulation in the green complexs forcing you to play different shots.

Greens are still young so difficult to hold at this point. They were rolling about 12 or 13 and they had just enough break to cause me to miss a few easy ones.

Hope to do it again soon.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Played Prairie Bluff today and it was a rather forgettable round. I thought with the lack of rain the past couple of weeks, it might be playing fast and firm. Nope! Fairways did have some roll, but were much softer than I anticipated. The greens were slow and quite bumpy. A little shaggy too. They needed a good cut and roll.

... Evidently they read your post. Played there today and other than the 15-20 mph winds they were rolling pretty nice. A little slower than normal but rolling true and with those winds I was glad they were a hair slow. I think the course is very challenging with those winds and for whatever reason I always play better than when it is calm and ripe for the taking. I was 5 under thru 15 and on 16 I did not play the 15-20 mph wind enough and ended up in the bunker right under the lip. Blasted out to 18 feet but I made the putt. Then on 17 I played too much wind and it didn't come back enough this time leaving me a downhill shot thru 8 feet of fringe but rolled it to a foot and tapped in for par. Dead into the 20 mph wind on 18 hit a good drive that just died and still had 171 into the wind. Hit a knockdown King Utility that caught the edge of deep rough around the bunker protecting the green. I could not see the ball until I was standing over it. I just needed to get up and down from 35 feet for a bogie free 5 under round. Played it like a bunker shot and left it 7 feet under the hole.

... Played it left edge and that is where it stayed, lipping out in an almost 360 and sat there on the edge mocking me as if it were saying "Bogie free in 20 mph winds? LOL. What were you thinking?" The golf gods can be so generous and soooo cruel.

Playing Redtail tomorrow. I just found out that I'm needed at work next week, which I wasn't expecting until September 5. I suppose I'll make tomorrow count and pick up a second round. Then 36 more on Saturday with Bear. 18 at Ives Grove (kinda dumpy but cheap) and 18 at Pine Meadows.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Finally played preserve.

For a new course I agree it needs plenty of TLC. Many patches of mud / hardpan - I would have guessed all new fairway grass was going to be put in, but it didn't seem like it.

Fun / interesting layout. If they invest some money and time - this can be a great course going forward.

We cruised the first 9 in 1.5 hours - only to catch a mess of people on the back. On a few tee boxes we counted 4 groups on the hole. Big problem if they want repeat business.

One of my buddies bailed on me for our 7:30 am round at Flossmoor CC tomorrow. Anybody interested in teeing it up on short notice? PM me, and the first to respond in the affirmative gets the spot. (Edit: spot is filled.)

Lol. I need some new friends.

First visit to Bartlett Hills GC on Sunday morning.

One of my buddies bailed on me for our 7:30 am round at Flossmoor CC tomorrow. Anybody interested in teeing it up on short notice? PM me, and the first to respond in the affirmative gets the spot. (Edit: spot is filled.)

Lol. I need some new friends.

First visit to Bartlett Hills GC on Sunday morning.

... You morning golfers have my admiration. I don't wake up till at least 8am, my brain isn't functional until 10 am and my back isn't suitable for walking let alone playing golf util 11am. How you can tee it up at 7:30am is a rubiks cube to me.

Redtail was in pretty good condition, with the exception of the second hole. That'll need some extra tlc during the offseason because it had been completely flooded out. However, the other 17 holes were great. No one was too interested in grouping up with a walker so they just let me tee off first. I finished in a shade over 2:40. I hit a ton of fairways and my wedges were really sharp when I missed greens. I only had one birdie (14) but quickly followed that up with a bogie on the next hole. Someday I'll figure this momentum thing out. 75.

For round two, I played Bridges of Poplar Creek. I'd never played there before because I heard it had a strong deathmarch possibility. It's got some definite positives (smooth, relatively quick greens, great maintenance, a nice discount for walking, full range that I'm sure someone will say sucks) but I teed off at 11:00 and didn't finish until 4:05. Ugh. There's too many holes that seem to induce backups. I waited for 50 minutes on 11 as I watched every member of two groups in front of me as well as my two partners all put their tee shots in the water. Did everyone tee up another ball? Of course they did. Ball striking by me was excellent and I had a near ace on the fourth hole. One more revolution and it would have dropped. I also birdied 6 but struggled a bit as the pace got to me on the back. Another 75. I think Bridges is a first tee time or bust course for me if I play it again.

Piretti Cottonwood II