2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

looks like it's coupon season...

haven't played since the preserve 2 weeks ago this past tuesday

wont play for another 10 days

mid-season break? (a little late)

nice round to think about for me as I broke 80 for the 2nd time at the Preserve (79)

last time was 77 at Bowes Creek in 2010

hopefully things are looking up

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Anyone make it over to Cog Hill #2 course this year? Played a couple years back and that was an absolute gem. Looking to get back there again.

Friends played it last week. Supposed to be in good condition, but the greens were slow. Also..... they went to play it few days ago and they were asked if they wanted to play Dubs instead... who were they to say no, so off they went... too bad I didn't get the last minute call.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

I have been quiet on the forum recently as I don't have a car right now, so I have to Uber when I want to golf. Went to Arlington Lakes today where I shot a personal best +7, 75. Capped it off with a chip in birdie from off the green on the last hole. 3 birdies on the card, with 6 other missed chances. It feels really good to put a round together and shoot a good round.

Edited to add scorecard.

26bb4f357c13f2a0790ddf15fe02b0f3.jpg

Anyone make it over to Cog Hill #2 course this year? Played a couple years back and that was an absolute gem. Looking to get back there again.

I played it on July 16. Tee to green, it was in great shape since that area didn't get whacked by flooding like Lake County did. The greens were rolling at a 6.5 or 7. They were comically soft and slow and, by the afternoon, were covered in footprints. I didn't notice too many ballmarks though. Make sure you cross the street and play the 19th hole. That green is maintained with the greens on Dubs and it shows.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I played Midlane today. The front was still closed because of the flooding last month and I don't think it'll be open again for a while. I played the back twice and got around in a little over 3 hours. There were some spots that will need to be re-seeded but for the most part 10-18 seemed to handle the excess water pretty well. 74.

Piretti Cottonwood II

After 6 days, 7 trains, 5 taxis, 1 bus, 12 bikes, 2800 miles, 11 pubs, over 30 tasty craft beers, and zero TSA gropings, my summer train trip has ended. Sigh. Back to reality, and back to the golf.

'Nice round at Harborside Port this morning. The conditions were calm as could be. The course, minus the remaining unfinished bunkers, was in great shape. A little wet in a few spots, but very playable. I was driving the ball well, but the Port course seems to make it harder to find a fairway. I still managed 13 greens, so the misses weren't too bad. Overall, a decent day scoring.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

After 6 days, 7 trains, 5 taxis, 1 bus, 12 bikes, 2800 miles, 11 pubs, over 30 tasty craft beers, and zero TSA gropings, my summer train trip has ended. Sigh. Back to reality, and back to the golf.

'Nice round at Harborside Port this morning. The conditions were calm as could be. The course, minus the remaining unfinished bunkers, was in great shape. A little wet in a few spots, but very playable. I was driving the ball well, but the Port course seems to make it harder to find a fairway. I still managed 13 greens, so the misses weren't too bad. Overall, a decent day scoring.

The TSA gropings seem much less than a few years ago. Then again, I take red eye flights to save money and the TSA employees are just barely conscious. Where'd you go?

Piretti Cottonwood II

Playing The Preserve at Oak Meadows tomorrow. Going with my father, we used to play Oak Meadows v.1 all the time, my grandfather used to play it during the Elmhurst CC days. Expecting so so conditions but that doesn't bother me, excited to see the new layout!

What did you and your father think of the Preserve?

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Played Blackstone in Marengo today. Very sporty layout with a good mix of shots required. Par fives are gettable, a few par fours are very short- risk reward, and some of the par 3's are long- 240. It was a calm day, ideal for scoring, and the greens were not overly fast. I'd love to make it back out when the course is more firm and fast.

You guys are killing me!

Just got back from Hawaii and haven't touched a club in 2 weeks. Told the wifey no golf, just family time, for once...

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

The TSA gropings seem much less than a few years ago. Then again, I take red eye flights to save money and the TSA employees are just barely conscious. Where'd you go?

Took Amtrak (and VIA Rail) to Boston, New Haven, St Albans City (Vermont), Rouses Point (New York), Albany, Toronto, Windsor, and Detroit. Several of the routes had very nice scenery. It was my first visit to Toronto, so I spent a day there checking out the CN Tower, Fort York, Exhibition Place, the Exposition Center, the Harbor Front, Distillery Row, Casa Loma, and 5 brewpubs. I used a bike share to get around, and it was a very nice (and cheap) way to see the sights on a beautiful summer day.

The highlight of the trip was the Amtrak Adirondack from upstate New York to Albany. The train hugs the western short of Lake Champlain, and provides wonderful views.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I walked 18 this morning at Wilmette. The greens were in great shape, but the fairways were pretty rough in areas. Like a lot of north shore courses, they received a lot of rain in recent weeks, and the conditions show it. Playable, but no where near ideal.

'Rather poor day ballstriking, but my scrambling seemed to keep the scoring decent. It was one of those days where you look at the scorecard and the end of the round, and it just doesn't seem right given the two way misses. I'll take it, though.

Playing The Preserve at Oak Meadows tomorrow. Going with my father, we used to play Oak Meadows v.1 all the time, my grandfather used to play it during the Elmhurst CC days. Expecting so so conditions but that doesn't bother me, excited to see the new layout!

Just got done with a round at the Preserve, really fun and exciting layout playing from the black (6600ish). Course definitely needs to grow in a bit more but the greens were at an ok pace and the bunkers had some nice white sand.

Shot 81... blew up on the back 9 with a double, bogey and double :( missed a birdie putt on the last 2, and 3 putted for par after driving the 16th.. I'm definitely going back to get some revenge

I played the Preserve yesterday. I love it. They did a great job with the redesign.

The course definitely needs to mature. Most of the tee boxes are sandy and bare. There're rough spots in the fairways. I'm giving these conditions a pass. They're calling this the "Preview" season and giving a $15 discount. My only complaint is the only water cooler is by the 5th tee and 13th green.

After reading Gary's evaluation, I was expecting the new greens to have some crazy slopes and ridges. I didn't find this to be the case. IMO they're well designed and the reads are straight forward. For new greens they're relatively receptive.

I really liked the old Oak Meadows. When it was in decent shape (minimal flood damage), it was a fun cheap muni that was 30 min from my house. It's great the redesign kept a few of the original holes: 1, 2(now 6), 3 (now 7), and 18. I'm impressed with the 12 new holes. Some tee shots you can rip, some you have to think about. I was also forced to hit some long irons. As mentioned, the new sand is awesome.

I do agree that rounds will be on the longer side.

If the conditions mature into what they should be, I'm ok with the green fees.

Played Prairie Bluff today and it was a rather forgettable round. I thought with the lack of rain the past couple of weeks, it might be playing fast and firm. Nope! Fairways did have some roll, but were much softer than I anticipated. The greens were slow and quite bumpy. A little shaggy too. They needed a good cut and roll.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Foxford HIlls this past Saturday. Course was in fine shape, a little soft but I was told they had lots of rain that week. Some of the guys I played with said the bunkers were lacking in sand, but the one I found was fine. Greens were rolling pretty well despite being very soft and receptive; I ended up backing up several approaches 5-10 feet which is pretty rare for me. My guess is the greens got torn up with play the rest of the day the way they were holding.

If anybody finds a set of wheels on the back 9, they belong to me as that's where they fell off my game. Had a solid front going at even par through 7 and several other near birdies, then 3 putted 5 holes in a row, and it only got worse from there when the irons followed suit. Went from leaking oil to a full on blowout, escalated quickly...

But the real story of the day was the 5:30 round. Waiting on every tee, group behind was on us on every tee. No ranger, 1 water fountain and only 1 cart girl. There was a group of guys with caddies a few groups up that was supposedly the culprit, the caddies the result of fantasy football results the year before. Neat idea, not great for the rest of the course. Pro shop was right when they warned me it would be slow out there, didn't expect that slow.

But the real story of the day was the 5:30 round. Waiting on every tee, group behind was on us on every tee. No ranger, 1 water fountain and only 1 cart girl. There was a group of guys with caddies a few groups up that was supposedly the culprit, the caddies the result of fantasy football results the year before. Neat idea, not great for the rest of the course. Pro shop was right when they warned me it would be slow out there, didn't expect that slow.

That's brutal and unacceptable. Cool idea with the caddies, but that's not really something for a Saturday during prime hours. C'mon Foxford, doesn't take a genius to figure that out. If that happened to me, it would be my last round there and I like Foxford.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Foxford HIlls this past Saturday. Course was in fine shape, a little soft but I was told they had lots of rain that week. Some of the guys I played with said the bunkers were lacking in sand, but the one I found was fine. Greens were rolling pretty well despite being very soft and receptive; I ended up backing up several approaches 5-10 feet which is pretty rare for me. My guess is the greens got torn up with play the rest of the day the way they were holding.

If anybody finds a set of wheels on the back 9, they belong to me as that's where they fell off my game. Had a solid front going at even par through 7 and several other near birdies, then 3 putted 5 holes in a row, and it only got worse from there when the irons followed suit. Went from leaking oil to a full on blowout, escalated quickly...

Joined V for the Saturday round and he's forgetting a couple of laser approaches, like 18 where the ball mark was about an inch from the hole.

Foxford has to be one of the least managed facilities in terms of pace of play in Chicago. When they tell you in the pro shop that it's going to be a slow round, they're accepting that and not doing anything about a problem they are aware of. NOt sure if we talked about this V but the group with the caddies ordered 6 Bloody Mary's before they teed off. The lack of a ranger pushing a slow group is unacceptable. V is right...we didn't see the cart girl on a humid 90 degree day from hole 1 until 10.

Foxford also needs to do something about the range balls. They are almost as bad as Oak Grove.

Will give them credit for making the pricing more appropriate though through the coupon but where's the walking rate?

The new layout was really cool to checkout, knowing what it once was. The second hole (par 5) is a beast, toughest hole on the course...almost have to play two layups to be able to clear the hazard into the green. Fourth hole was interesting, very short at 304 but you're hitting into blind shots over bunkers, nice touch. When we got to the new 6 (old OM 2) I had to do a double take because I didn't recognize it at first since we were coming off the new 5. The rest of the course meandered along the same tracks as old OM, but most looked and felt different. The white tour sand is a nice addition. Also, the range has nice Titleist NXT range balls.

Overall, I probably won't go back until next year as the conditions aren't where they need to be. Hole 1 was cart path only, very unkempt with areas of the fairway that needed a lot of work. That really bugged me starting off because nothing to that hole changed during the reconstruction, except the addition of a tee box. Other fairways just need time for the thatch to grow in. Greens we're rock hard, ball would not bite at all and just rolled aimlessly. Give it another year....

The new layout was really cool to checkout, knowing what it once was. The second hole (par 5) is a beast, toughest hole on the course...almost have to play two layups to be able to clear the hazard into the green. Fourth hole was interesting, very short at 304 but you're hitting into blind shots over bunkers, nice touch. When we got to the new 6 (old OM 2) I had to do a double take because I didn't recognize it at first since we were coming off the new 5. The rest of the course meandered along the same tracks as old OM, but most looked and felt different. The white tour sand is a nice addition. Also, the range has nice Titleist NXT range balls.

Overall, I probably won't go back until next year as the conditions aren't where they need to be. Hole 1 was cart path only, very unkempt with areas of the fairway that needed a lot of work. That really bugged me starting off because nothing to that hole changed during the reconstruction, except the addition of a tee box. Other fairways just need time for the thatch to grow in. Greens we're rock hard, ball would not bite at all and just rolled aimlessly. Give it another year....

You didn't think the first green was new?

Fairway bunker was added to 1st hole as well

TM TP5x

Played The Preserve at Oak Meadows this past Tuesday - needs to grow out and further develop post renovation. Played Cog #4 again yesterday - bunker work is almost finished. Course was in great shape (per usual). Cog #2 on Friday. How is Bolingbrook Golf Club?

... We played 2 weeks ago and it was in decent shape. I really enjoy the layout but a few of the greens are just silly sloping away from an approach shot and impossible to hold the green. I have never found it to be in as good a condition as the cost, even for a Bolingbrook resident discount. Greens are always at least a little chewed up and sometimes really ragged. When we played they were rolling quick and true and in better than average condition but still not up to Premier Course standards imo. And pace of play can be a problem. We played in 4:45 minutes on a Monday and went thru two extremely slow 4somes but the course was pretty packed other than those two.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Played The Preserve at Oak Meadows this past Tuesday - needs to grow out and further develop post renovation. Played Cog #4 again yesterday - bunker work is almost finished. Course was in great shape (per usual). Cog #2 on Friday. How is Bolingbrook Golf Club?

... We played 2 weeks ago and it was in decent shape. I really enjoy the layout but a few of the greens are just silly sloping away from an approach shot and impossible to hold the green. I have never found it to be in as good a condition as the cost, even for a Bolingbrook resident discount. Greens are always at least a little chewed up and sometimes really ragged. When we played they were rolling quick and true and in better than average condition but still not up to Premier Course standards imo. And pace of play can be a problem. We played in 4:45 minutes on a Monday and went thru two extremely slow 4somes but the course was pretty packed other than those two.

The best thing about the Roger Claar Memorial is the range/practice area. That is top notch.

The best thing about the Roger Claar Memorial is the range/practice area. That is top notch.

... LOL, don't get me started on that piece of human garbage. We passed an ordinance to "give away" the land Naperbrook is built on in return for 50 years of resident rates. First day it opened I showed up with my ID and was told "50 years of resident rates? What are you smoking because I want some!" He has screwed us over so many times including a new lease for the Rock Quarry he promised to close after 5 years. That was 20 years ago and they are still going strong with mud all over the road, trucks cutting people off and rock dings on our cars. But that said, I agree the practice area is just awesome and has a Country Club feel.

... LOL, don't get me started on that piece of human garbage. We passed an ordinance to "give away" the land Naperbrook is built on in return for 50 years of resident rates. First day it opened I showed up with my ID and was told "50 years of resident rates? What are you smoking because I want some!" He has screwed us over so many times including a new lease for the Rock Quarry he promised to close after 5 years. That was 20 years ago and they are still going strong with mud all over the road, trucks cutting people off and rock dings on our cars. But that said, I agree the practice area is just awesome and has a Country Club feel.

Part of the deal for Naperbrook is that course pays an "administrative fee" to Naperhell for all of the systems, payroll, HR,, etc. The pros at NB are bonused on the profitability of the course. Compared to Springbrook, they get a pittance because of the burden of the administrative fee.

... After playing The General and Prairie Landing with back problems that affected my swing, I got healthy at Cog Hill #1 with my wife and son. 69 on the course that will always boost your confidence even from the back tees. Birdied all the par 5's and rolled one in off the fringe on #12. Very interesting tournament that was going on the front 9 and course #3. Looked like about 6-9 yr olds and a few swings from very little kids were just jaw dropping. Saw one really little guy take a swing on the 9th hole and the club was literally a blur and I am guessing it was just over 200 yds. Could not have been much more than 80lbs. Several others had very fast looking club head speeds for such little kids. Didn't get to see iron shots or putting but to say it was impressive is an under statement. And humbling too.