2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Played Sportsmans last week on the recommendations from several members here. Pleasantly surprised. Good conditioning. The course was set up for the tourney the prior week and the pin placements showed. The greens were the quick i have seen at any course this year. Its short but i liked it alot. Great front 9 and a terrible back. Enjoyed it a lot.

I've never played Prairie View with the fescue grown in and leaves on the trees. What a great course. I was really impressed with the overall conditioning in spite of the fact that it seems like they have multiple outings or events every week. The greens were smooth and pretty much void of ball marks. They had been cut and rolled to run at a really fast pace but had recently been sanded. Therefore, they were a little slower than expected. They were still better than most in the area, though, which begs the question: "Is Byron really the Chicago area?" My only critique of PV is how woefully mismeasured the blue tees are. The scorecard says they play at 6586 yards but, for kicks, I walked off the distance between the blues tee markers and the tips, which are accurately measured at 7158 yards, on every hole. It was actually 6796 yards, give or take based on pin placements. My ball striking was excellent and I hit a ton of fairways and greens. I only had one birdie (a tap-in on 14) but had 14 pars. 74.

Blackstone was also in very good shape. The greens were alright and were running at about a 10 or 10.5. My ball striking remained strong but I struggled on the par threes. Five and 17 are understandable given the length and undulating greens. However, bogies on 8 and 13 were inexcusable. I had several very makable birdie putts (4, 9, 11, 15, and 16) but couldn't cash in on any en route to an aggravating 77 that should have been closer to a 74 or 75.

Chalet Hills and Oak Grove tomorrow.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

My wife and daughter are away this week, so I'm trying to hit some of my favorites south of the city.

Today I had a great time at Ravisloe. Teed off around 3:45 and got in 25 holes. After 18, I replayed 1 through 7. The course is in good shape.

I got paired up with a nice couple, they weren't very good, but we're friendly and easy to get along with. Unfortunately, we were behind a fairly slow 4some. We had 5 min waits on every shot from three tee on. After nine, the 4some gave us the play through on 10 tee sign, yippee. My partners didn't get it. First, instead of hustling to 10 tee, they went back to their car. The 4some was cool and patient. Once my partners returned, they took a long time to finish the hole. In my opinion, when group lets you play through, you should play quickly, no screwing around. After holing out on 11 with the 4some waiting on the tee behind us, one of my partners went back to the clubhouse. Now, I want to ditch them. I felt a little weird about it, but come on they're burning daylight. When we were on 13 green, a single was now waiting in the fairway behind us. I waved him up. When holes out, I asked him if he wanted company and used it as my excuse to play ahead. I shook their hands and said good bye. Leaving the course twice, especially while being invited to play through is ridiculous.

I've played Ravi a lot over the years, but I still can figure out how to play 18. Driver brings way too much trouble into play, but laying up short of the first row of traps brings the trees on the left into play.

Others on my South of the city list are Big Run, Ruffled and Heritage Bluff. I also want to try Prairie Bluff. I've never played it, but you guys always give it good pub. I'm kind of intrigued to see the prison.

I've played Ravi a lot over the years, but I still can figure out how to play 18. Driver brings way too much trouble into play, but laying up short of the first row of traps brings the trees on the left into play.

Been a few years but it's kind of pick your poison iirc. Green is smaller, elevated and protected. Driver gives a better approach but brings lots of trouble into play. Fairway/hybrid is the safe play but the approach more troublesome. Draw works nicely on that tee shot.

I also want to try Prairie Bluff. I've never played it, but you guys always give it good pub. I'm kind of intrigued to see the prison.

In my opinion, it is the highlight of the course, as I find PB to be rather pedestrian. And, while this might not be an option, my suggestion is to play PB when its going to be windy. The wind really brings PB into a different light and gives it some teeth. If the wind is not blowing, then the course is pretty benign. The fairways are very, very generous and the greens are receptive.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Blackstone was also in very good shape. The greens were alright and were running at about a 10 or 10.5. My ball striking remained strong but I struggled on the par threes. Five and 17 are understandable given the length and undulating greens. However, bogies on 8 and 13 were inexcusable. I had several very makable birdie putts (4, 9, 11, 15, and 16) but couldn't cash in on any en route to an aggravating 77 that should have been closer to a 74 or 75.

Have always thought that 5 was the toughest par 3 in Chicago. To be 200+ yards with that narrow of a green and the valley of doom on the left, it's just a tough hole.

Have always thought that 5 was the toughest par 3 in Chicago. To be 200+ yards with that narrow of a green and the valley of doom on the left, it's just a tough hole.

Surely your old age has made you forget Big Run...

Assuming you're talking 13...the difference is that is a larger green and you can miss in a couple of places.

I also want to try Prairie Bluff. I've never played it, but you guys always give it good pub. I'm kind of intrigued to see the prison.

In my opinion, it is the highlight of the course, as I find PB to be rather pedestrian. And, while this might not be an option, my suggestion is to play PB when its going to be windy. The wind really brings PB into a different light and gives it some teeth. If the wind is not blowing, then the course is pretty benign. The fairways are very, very generous and the greens are receptive.

... One thing often over looked is the absolute beauty of this course. One of my favorites views of any course is standing on the 15th tee and just taking it all in. Imo other than elevation views, it just doesn't get any better. And while many holes are benign with the absence of wind, which only happens a handful of times a year, 7 is one of the toughest par 4's I play. And 16 isn't a walk in the park either when the pin is tucked behind the bunker which it is 90% of the time.

... But I agree with some of the PB naysayers that IF you took away the natural beauty of the course, it would be rather pedestrian from a layout perspective. But since the beauty is there, it remains one of my favorite courses to play. We played The General at Eagle Ridge yesterday and it was in surprisingly good shape. Back at it today before taking the drive back home. My son who usually shoots in the mid 90's and is just taking up the game this year shot a 115 and the Mrs who shoots in the mid to upper 90's shot a 105. I shot a 78 and lost 2 balls. My highest round of the year and hope to improve on that having a better understanding of the course today.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Assuming you're talking 13...the difference is that is a larger green and you can miss in a couple of places.

Last couple times I played 13, I decided to lay up short right... didn't go too well.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

I'm starting to think that Chalet Hills is one of the better all-around tests of golf in the area. Yes, it has picturesque holes, smooth greens, great maintenance, and all kinds of other stuff that tends to make certain places more popular than others. However, there's more to it. I need to be able to hit every shot possible and even when I execute well it still feels mentally and physically (that walk is insane) exhausting. With that out of the way, I played exceptionally well today. We played the blue tees rather than the tips because, after some overnight rain, we correctly figured the course would be playing much longer than it was last week. I was somewhat inconsistent with the driver and had a handful of bogies (1, 5, 9, 10) as a result. However, my iron play was really crisp and, whereas I made some boneheaded errors at Blackstone yesterday, especially on the short par threes, I stuck my tee shots on 4 and 17 so tight even I couldn't miss those tap in birdie putts. 75.

On to Oak Grove. As soon as I got out of the car, I noticed the unmistakably pungent aroma of urine stinging my nostrils. Some things have smells that can be mistaken for other things. Urine is not one of those things. I don't know where the puddle was, who/what was responsible, or why but, whatever. I'd rather not dwell on why an entire parking lot smelled like pee. The course looked excellent as the wildflowers are in full August bloom. We saw a turkey with five babies literally five feet from us and there were a few Great Blue Herons. As for the actual golf portion of the course, ir was sopping wet and there were lakes in most of the bunkers. The greens were springy but slow at first, though they improved as the round progressed. We also got stuck behind a fivesome for a couple of holes but they thankfully let us through. We didn't see another person in front of us until 12, and they also let us through on 13. Needless to say, the pace was great. I started off rocky and bogied the first two holes but got it going as the round progressed. My iron striking remained crisp and I simply stopped even considering my driver in favor of a three wood that went just as far. Another 75.

Regarding Chalet Hills, that strikes me as a 5 and a half hour weekend round waiting to happen given the amount of hazards, tight tee shots, and tricky greens. Is that actually the case?

Piretti Cottonwood II

I'm starting to think that Chalet Hills is one of the better all-around tests of golf in the area. Yes, it has picturesque holes, smooth greens, great maintenance, and all kinds of other stuff that tends to make certain places more popular than others. However, there's more to it. I need to be able to hit every shot possible and even when I execute well it still feels mentally and physically (that walk is insane) exhausting. With that out of the way, I played exceptionally well today. We played the blue tees rather than the tips because, after some overnight rain, we correctly figured the course would be playing much longer than it was last week. I was somewhat inconsistent with the driver and had a handful of bogies (1, 5, 9, 10) as a result. However, my iron play was really crisp and, whereas I made some boneheaded errors at Blackstone yesterday, especially on the short par threes, I stuck my tee shots on 4 and 17 so tight even I couldn't miss those tap in birdie putts. 75.

On to Oak Grove. As soon as I got out of the car, I noticed the unmistakably pungent aroma of urine stinging my nostrils. Some things have smells that can be mistaken for other things. Urine is not one of those things. I don't know where the puddle was, who/what was responsible, or why but, whatever. I'd rather not dwell on why an entire parking lot smelled like pee. The course looked excellent as the wildflowers are in full August bloom. We saw a turkey with five babies literally five feet from us and there were a few Great Blue Herons. As for the actual golf portion of the course, ir was sopping wet and there were lakes in most of the bunkers. The greens were springy but slow at first, though they improved as the round progressed. We also got stuck behind a fivesome for a couple of holes but they thankfully let us through. We didn't see another person in front of us until 12, and they also let us through on 13. Needless to say, the pace was great. I started off rocky and bogied the first two holes but got it going as the round progressed. My iron striking remained crisp and I simply stopped even considering my driver in favor of a three wood that went just as far. Another 75.

Regarding Chalet Hills, that strikes me as a 5 and a half hour weekend round waiting to happen given the amount of hazards, tight tee shots, and tricky greens. Is that actually the case?

I don't remember weekend round being that bad, although it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Lots of courses in the area competing for people. (Prairie Isle, Foxford Hills, Makray, Cary CC, etc)

Chalet Hills is definitely a stern test, and I've never walked it, but I imagine it's a beast to walk, almost in the vein of Big Run, but not "that" bad.

I've got good memories of my Dad and I playing 36 on a fall day, starting early at Chalet and then finishing at Foxford in the last light of day...

special stuff

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Foxford has some coupons online, which might be new for them. They are...

AUGUST 2017

SATURDAY & SUNDAY

18-Holes With Cart 6:00AM-10:00AM - Regular $79.00

$65.00 Golf/Cart By Presenting this Coupon

or

$79 Golf/Cart, Sleeve Titleist ProV1's & Lunch Choice of Chicken Sandwich, Hot Dog, Brat or Burger includes Chips or Fries & Fountain Drink By Presenting This Coupon.

-------------------------------------------

18-Holes With Cart 10:00AM - 11:30AM - Regular $79.00

$59.00 By Presenting This Coupon

-------------------------------------------------------------

18-Holes With Cart 11:30AM-1:00PM - Regular $79.00

$49.00 By Presenting This Coupon

--------------------------------------------------------------------

18-Holes With Cart 1:00PM-4:00PM - Regular $63.00

$47.00 By Presenting this Coupon

I don't remember weekend round being that bad, although it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Lots of courses in the area competing for people. (Prairie Isle, Foxford Hills, Makray, Cary CC, etc)

Chalet Hills is definitely a stern test, and I've never walked it, but I imagine it's a beast to walk, almost in the vein of Big Run, but not "that" bad.

I've got good memories of my Dad and I playing 36 on a fall day, starting early at Chalet and then finishing at Foxford in the last light of day...

special stuff

Having walked Big Run and Chalet Hills, I found Chalet to be just as difficult. The hills at BR are more plentiful but the tee boxes are right next to the greens and, aside from stopping to catch my breath a coupe of times, I certainly wasn't too exhausted. Then again, I only walk BR in the Fall and Spring, when the humidity isn't really an issue, so I can't directly compare the two.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Old Oak yesterday afternoon. Course is in pretty good shape, but the greens were rather slow. Started off birdie, birdie, and quickly erased it with a double. Struggled with the driver all day long (2 way miss) and wound up with 79. Even though we waited to hit almost every shot, the round took even 4 hours, which was not too bad.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

... Eagle Ridge was in very good shape. I was pleasantly surprised considering all the rain they had a few weeks ago. Greens were not pristine but not too bad and lightening quick downhill. The Mrs and my son had several putts they hit softly roll off the green from above the hole. We played the General both days and would highly recommend it unless they get some downpours.

... Eagle Ridge was in very god shape. I was pleasantly surprised considering all the rain they had a few weeks ago. Greens were not pristine but not too bad and lightening quick downhill. The Mrs and my son had several putts they hit softly roll off the green from above the hole. We played the General both days and would highly recommend it unless they get some downpours.

Any chance that 17 was in the mix of putts that rolled off the green?

... Eagle Ridge was in very god shape. I was pleasantly surprised considering all the rain they had a few weeks ago. Greens were not pristine but not too bad and lightening quick downhill. The Mrs and my son had several putts they hit softly roll off the green from above the hole. We played the General both days and would highly recommend it unless they get some downpours.

Any chance that 17 was in the mix of putts that rolled off the green?

... LOL been there huh? The pin was top right about 8 feet from the edge on 17 and my son was just on the fringe after coming out of the bunker. I told him to just put it in motion but he gave is a slight tap and it rolled about 30 feet past the hole but not off the green. When we finished I tried the putt and barely got it rolling and it went about 10 feet past the hole. The Mrs had putts on 4, 9 and 18 that rolled off the green with gusto. On 18 she had to get it over a ridge and then downhill as the pin was far left and she was middle of the green. Again we all tried that putt after finishing the hole and my son rolled it off the green and I managed to almost stop it on the ride but it still rolled 15 feet past the hole. They have some ruthless greens if you are above the hole and they are rolling fast. I learned after the first day to keep longer uphill putts short of the hole and putted mostly for par the 2nd day and didn't try to make birdies unless it was a short uphill or relatively level putt. No birdies day one and only 3 on the 2nd day when I was around 10 feet from the hole quite a few times but had to be defensive.

Playing The Preserve at Oak Meadows tomorrow. Going with my father, we used to play Oak Meadows v.1 all the time, my grandfather used to play it during the Elmhurst CC days. Expecting so so conditions but that doesn't bother me, excited to see the new layout!

Ask for a pin sheet before you tee off so you have an idea of where the hole is positioned. It'll help, a lot.

Playing The Preserve at Oak Meadows tomorrow. Going with my father, we used to play Oak Meadows v.1 all the time, my grandfather used to play it during the Elmhurst CC days. Expecting so so conditions but that doesn't bother me, excited to see the new layout!

I like how there are holes that have switched positions on the course:

The obvious:

Front nine hole sequence changed by adding old Brookwood front nine (Maple Meadows East 9) into the Preserve Front Nine

Preserve 6th is OM 2nd, Preserve 7th is OM 3rd, Preserve 8th is OM 4th and Preserve 9th is OM 5th.

But then one jumps from OM 5th (OM Front 9) to the OM Back Nice with Preserve 10-11, which are same as OM 10-11,

but then you turn right instead of left to get to 12.

Preserve 12 is like OM 8 (in routing only), and then Preserve 13 is OM 6 (par 5 dogleg right) but with new water on right

Preserve 14 is OM 7 routing but

Then one jumps to rejoin OM back nine with the par 5 15th, really fun in its new form

Then the great Preserve 16th, which preserves some of the OM 15th, but with a much more interesting tee shot across Salt Creek from back tees

Preserve 17 is OM 17 but now as par 3.

Preserve 18 is OM 18.

Thanks for giving me a chance to ramble on about this course.

Enjoy your round!

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Anyone make it over to Cog Hill #2 course this year? Played a couple years back and that was an absolute gem. Looking to get back there again.

... We played it several weeks ago and it was in great shape but were surprised by how slow the greens were rolling. My high index pards didn't care but I thought it tainted a good experience otherwise. Others here said they have been slow for years. So just be prepared for downhill putts stopping on a slope and uphill putts have to be hammered.