2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Best three courses in the Rockford area not named Aldeen?

I'll echo others with Timber Pointe. From there, I guess it depends on what you call the Rockford area. I would add PrairieView in Byron and Glen Erin in Janesville to the mix. Hell, I would even consider Oak Grove.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Why do courses setup their regular weekend pins like it was a Sunday of the USOpen and wonder why it takes 5 hours to play? Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday morning and I swear whoever setup the course must have been auditioning for USGA. With the exception of couple holes, everything was tucked away in corners, 2-3 paces from the fringe. I generally don't have a problem with tough pin placements, but this was ridiculous. The worst offender was by far par 5 15th. Even before reaching the hole I knew they put the pin in front right corner on severe slope. Sure enough, I hit one of my best drives right down the middle and find myself 125 yards out. I get to my ball and start watching the foursome in front (part of our group) playing the hole out. 1 putt, 2 putt, 3 putt.... until they all said f-it and picked up. They were all putting from below the hole and every single putt trickled down off the green. Off course I get cute with my shot (didn't want to be long), and hit it short into the hazard but my ball is playable. I chip it out onto the green and the putt-putt contest begins. I wound up picking up after 3 putts and so did my playing partner.

Unless the ball somehow found an old ball mark or some minute indentation (or the bottom of the cup), there was labsolutely no way to stop it around the hole!

Tough is good... unplayable is a different story...

Other than that, the course was in good condition from tee to green (some bunkers were full of water, but I didn't find any of them). The greens were pretty quick and true, but they did have a ton of old ball marks that were either not repaired, or repaired incorrectly.

Rant off...

Play RF a couple times a week, (twilight pass), they do set it up pretty difficult, I wouldn't say unfairly though. Hardest pin yesterday was probably #2, the back left corner is always tough to get to. Unfortunately, the greens have taken quite the beating this year it seems. May be a twilight thing though, after getting played all day. Haven't had a morning tee time there in years.

Why do courses setup their regular weekend pins like it was a Sunday of the USOpen and wonder why it takes 5 hours to play? Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday morning and I swear whoever setup the course must have been auditioning for USGA. With the exception of couple holes, everything was tucked away in corners, 2-3 paces from the fringe. I generally don't have a problem with tough pin placements, but this was ridiculous. The worst offender was by far par 5 15th. Even before reaching the hole I knew they put the pin in front right corner on severe slope. Sure enough, I hit one of my best drives right down the middle and find myself 125 yards out. I get to my ball and start watching the foursome in front (part of our group) playing the hole out. 1 putt, 2 putt, 3 putt.... until they all said f-it and picked up. They were all putting from below the hole and every single putt trickled down off the green. Off course I get cute with my shot (didn't want to be long), and hit it short into the hazard but my ball is playable. I chip it out onto the green and the putt-putt contest begins. I wound up picking up after 3 putts and so did my playing partner.

Unless the ball somehow found an old ball mark or some minute indentation (or the bottom of the cup), there was labsolutely no way to stop it around the hole!

Other than that, the course was in good condition from tee to green (some bunkers were full of water, but I didn't find any of them). The greens were pretty quick and true, but they did have a ton of old ball marks that were either not repaired, or repaired incorrectly.

Rant off...

Play RF a couple times a week, (twilight pass), they do set it up pretty difficult, I wouldn't say unfairly though. Hardest pin yesterday was probably #2, the back left corner is always tough to get to. Unfortunately, the greens have taken quite the beating this year it seems. May be a twilight thing though, after getting played all day. Haven't had a morning tee time there in years.

Back left on 2 is hard, but at least you can stop the ball around the hole. 3 was middle right on the ridge - again playable. 4 - back left corner, maybe 3 paces off - again tough, but playable. I could go on, but that would be pointless. I know 15 is basically a long par 4 and its' only defense is the tree on the right and the green complex. You simply cannot put the pin in a spot where the ball rolls off the green no matter where you putt from.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Rant off...

I totally agree with this, weekend golf I always felt the course should just move all the tee boxes way up and in some cases not even put out the "tips" and pins for the most part should be center of the green. I know a lot of folks on these forums would hate it but most guys who like a good challenge or don't min tough pin placements play golf a few days a week beyond just Sat/Sun. I'd be willing to bet you'd get back about 10-15 minutes per 9. That might not sound like a lot but as the day progresses that could make a world of difference by the time the mid round groups are teeing off.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I'll echo others with Timber Pointe. From there, I guess it depends on what you call the Rockford area. I would add PrairieView in Byron and Glen Erin in Janesville to the mix. Hell, I would even consider Oak Grove.

If we're making it "best courses within a 25 minute drive of Rockford," then Oak Grove, Abbey Springs, Prairie View and Glen Erin all qualify. The other Lake Geneva courses are kind of their own entity, though, and are a bit further away as it is.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

If we're making it "best courses within a 25 minute drive of Rockford," then Oak Grove, Abbey Springs, Prairie View and Glen Erin all qualify. The other Lake Geneva courses are kind of their own entity, though, and are a bit further away as it is.

I'm looking for more of the 10 minutes from Rockford grouping. I've played Oak Grove (Permanent Sh*t List), and pretty much the whole collection of Lake Geneva courses.

I'll likely hit Timber Pointe, The Ledges, and probably Sandy Hollow.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'm playing GCI tomorrow. I haven't played there all year and I don't feel like I've really missed anything by avoiding it. However, $32 to walk is a fair price. I will have to factor in a few extra dollars for waters that I'll need to buy before the round, though.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Rant off...

I totally agree with this, weekend golf I always felt the course should just move all the tee boxes way up and in some cases not even put out the "tips" and pins for the most part should be center of the green. I know a lot of folks on these forums would hate it but most guys who like a good challenge or don't min tough pin placements play golf a few days a week beyond just Sat/Sun. I'd be willing to bet you'd get back about 10-15 minutes per 9. That might not sound like a lot but as the day progresses that could make a world of difference by the time the mid round groups are teeing off.

... Yea, I would hate it. But a happy medium would be nice. Some challenging pin placements but no really difficult ones and lots of fair pin placements.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

have a lesson set with Todd Sones on Saturday. I figured I'd go right to the best guy. If he can't fix me I'll know its a lost cause.

He'll get you figured out. I have one with one of his guys on Thursday. Lots of changes for me, but all changes for the better. I've noticed more solid contact and minor increase in distance on my irons. The changes have made me want to quit golf like 500 times this summer since the transition has some growing pains, but I know when I get more comfortable with them my game should improve.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

After 3-4 years of not playing there, I went back to White Pines over the weekend and no so shockingly it is still a dump. Paid the rack rate to get an early weekend tee time and probably paid twice as much as I should have. Back to the do-not-play list.

Heard that they are considering selling off 18 holes of the property for real estate development.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

have a lesson set with Todd Sones on Saturday. I figured I'd go right to the best guy. If he can't fix me I'll know its a lost cause.

Great to hear.

That should go well.

After 3-4 years of not playing there, I went back to White Pines over the weekend and no so shockingly it is still a dump. Paid the rack rate to get an early weekend tee time and probably paid twice as much as I should have. Back to the do-not-play list.

Heard that they are considering selling off 18 holes of the property for real estate development.

just need to go about 3 miles west of there and you'll be set...

I played White Pines once 10 years ago (won't go back)

I wish them the best

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I always thought White Pines was too tight. However, the fact that they don't allow singles to book online is the main reason I haven't played there in ages. Again, I guess my money isn't green enough for them.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I bailed on GCI and played Chalet Hills instead. Good decision by me. GCI is what it is: long, flat, repetitive, and oh so boring. However, Chalet Hills was really nice. The greens were smooth and relatively quick, the course has plenty of variety and is very well-maintained, and I enjoyed the layout. I wish they'd just shorten 18 and make it a par 72 but that's relatively minor. Much better day ball striking for me than on Saturday. 76.

Piretti Cottonwood II

chalet hills is great, especially when the conditions comply...

I like your idea for 18 (shorten it to be a par 4).

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

love playing at chalet! only if they had a range....

Foxford Hills is right next door and they have a full range so you can just hit that up before a round. It was a really long walk though. My suburban mom pedometer measured it at 8.1 miles.

Piretti Cottonwood II

... We played Prairie Landing today and it is in great shape with very fast and true greens. Tuesday is maintenance day so quite a few silly pin placements but none off the charts unfair. Had a putt on 3 from 10 feet above the hole and I just put the ball in motion. 45 feet later I had a 35 foot uphill comeback put. Fun day.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Last 2 weeks of my Wednesday nite league, had a chance to win the regular season part but my partner pretty much gave up on me. He thought it would be a great idea that since he wasn’t playing well to just goof around and take double pars on the rest of the hole. At least Cobra replaces my faulty f6+ with a f7+

Hey guys! I wanted to pop in here and ask for some advice. I will be in Schaumburg for training 8/30 - 9/1. Class is over on 9/1 at noon but my flight out of Midway doesn't leave until 8:30 pm. I will have a rental car so I was going to bring the clubs along and try to get in a round. I have never played in the Chicago area before so I was wondering if there is anywhere worth checking out on my drive between Schaumburg and Midway? Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Hey guys! I wanted to pop in here and ask for some advice. I will be in Schaumburg for training 8/30 - 9/1. Class is over on 9/1 at noon but my flight out of Midway doesn't leave until 8:30 pm. I will have a rental car so I was going to bring the clubs along and try to get in a round. I have never played in the Chicago area before so I was wondering if there is anywhere worth checking out on my drive between Schaumburg and Midway? Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Price range? I'd suggest Cantigny in Wheaton if price is not an issue. It's ~20 miles south of Schaumburg, and ~20 miles from I-294 that will get you back to Midway. If you get out at noon, you should be able to make a 1 pm tee time, and finish by 5:30. Traffic will be a bit tight heading towards Midway, but three hours should be sufficient.

Village Links in Glen Ellen is a bit closer, but they don't give tee times to singles. There are several decent courses northwest of Schaumburg, but you'd be heading in the wrong direction for Midway.

Lastly, Cog Hill (Dubsdread or #2) would be another option. It's just off of I-55, 36 miles south of Schaumburg via I-290/355, and a fairly straight shot back to Midway (20 miles). I'd say a 1:30 pm tee time would work.

Schaumburg to Midway on a Friday will be a hike. You'll have to give yourself at least an hour, if not more time.

Schaumburg Golf Club is a decent $50 muni.

You could jump on 290, and play the Preserve at Oak Meadows. Just re opened after a redesign. The early reviews are great.

If you want to play one of the nicer locals, you could take 355 and play Cantigny.

Whatever you do, you'll be pressed for time. If you can change your flight to O'Hare, it'll be easier.

Mid day travel is much easier, which is why I would suggest getting as close to Midway as possible. I like the Preserve recommendation, but again, they don't allow singles to book.

maybe we should get a group together and play a Friday 9/1 round at 1:00 pm or thereabouts????

I'm talking about the Preserve

TM TP5x

Mid day travel is much easier, which is why I would suggest getting as close to Midway as possible. I like the Preserve recommendation, but again, they don't allow singles to book.

This is the way to go. Go with Cog - they have 4 courses to choose from. Course 1 and 3 the easiest (and cheapest), Course 2 is more challenging and expensive than 1 and 3. Very good track. Course 4 (Dubsdread) is the most challenging and expensive (approx. $155).

They also have decent grub and locker room if you need to freshen up after your round.

15 hcp

Thanks for all of the replies. I fly predominantly Southwest and it seems that they have no presence at O'hare for whatever reason.

If some people would like to join up at The Preserve at Oak Meadows that would be awesome. Shoot me a PM and I will try to setup a tee time.

If not, I will probably check out one of the courses at Cog Hill. I remember watching the Dubsdread course on TV throughout the years.

Last 2 weeks of my Wednesday nite league, had a chance to win the regular season part but my partner pretty much gave up on me. He thought it would be a great idea that since he wasn’t playing well to just goof around and take double pars on the rest of the hole. At least Cobra replaces my faulty f6+ with a f7+

playoffs start tonight! Me and my partner came in dead last in the regular season, he played poorly at the start of the year and then my shanking issues ruined my game since June. Throw in the fact that we get the least amount of strokes of any other team in our league and it made for a long season.

We're hoping to contend for the gross title, we know we have no shot at net.

Cog Hill doesn't give tee times to singles for #1, #2, and #3. You should be able to get one on Dubs (#4) if you call them.

The preserve only allows reservations 5 days out, with previous perm tee time holder captain's with 7 day priveleges.

I'll try to make a tee time as we get closer.

TM TP5x