2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Am I safe to conclude that avoiding courses north of the city that received substantial rainfall would be a wise move for at least the next week or so?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Am I safe to conclude that avoiding courses north of the city that received substantial rainfall would be a wise move for at least the next week or so?

I played Willow Hill (highest golf course in Cook County) on Sunday and it was a mess. Not sure if they have bad drainage there, but I figured at higher ground it wouldn't be in such awful shape.

Played Naperbrook yesterday and shot an 83 which would (coulda) been much better if I would have gotten out of 6 greenside bunkers without either skulling or chunking. Highlights of the day chipping in for a birdie on the par 3 8th hole and getting within 5 feet (birdie)on the 15th hole which was probably playing around 215 (uphill against the breeze). Best 3 wood I've ever hit.

... Awesome! One of the hardest par 3's I play. Uphill and judging the windy conditions is alway amazingly difficult. I feel like a birdie is almost a 1.5 stroke hole as par's feel like birdies. With no wind it can play pretty easy, depending on pin placement, but with the wind which always seems into you and swirly a 3 wood par is very impressive. So many birdie holes at Naperbrook but #3 and #15 are not on that list.

3 isn't a difficult hole once you learn how to play it, having worked out there for 5 years I spent many hours and have it down to a 190 yard tee shot aimed at the 2nd peninsula and it'll put you on the right side of the fairway, it's not enough yardage to reach the water even if you put a bit of a fade on the shot and it takes all the water left out. Next shot is a 190-200 yard shot aimed at the middle of the bunker, it would take a hell of a fade from that angle to end up in the water and if you hook it you should end up behind the bunker since 200 yards isn't enough to get to the bunker. From there it's a 100 yards to the middle of the green. Super boring way to play it, but for the most part, unless it's a ridiculously wayward shot it takes the water, the bunker and any OB out of play. Boring pretty much works for all their par 5's unless you catch one down wind and can have a nice iron into the green, they aren't the greatest collection in that the others require a very precise second shot to hit the green without being in a bad spot.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I played Willow Hill (highest golf course in Cook County) on Sunday and it was a mess. Not sure if they have bad drainage there, but I figured at higher ground it wouldn't be in such awful shape.

I'm not surprised. I played there once, and it was soaked. Like Harborside, it's built on an old clay-capped dump, and has no natural drainage. On top of that they water the heck out of it to keep it green, so any additional precipitation is not helping.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Took a few trips down south last week and played Village Greens of Woodridge, Heritage Bluffs and Cinder Ridge. HB was decent. Good layout and a few nice challenging holes and mostly in good shape. I'd play it again.

Cinder Ridge...done with that place. Its got a good reputation and not sure why. It was in OK shape but it was a death march out there despite he rangers. It needs some work and its starting to show some wear and needs some love. The big issue with CR is the owner. I am not exaggerating when i say that the two times i have played there, he was in a shouting match with customers.

Village Greens is really bombed out. I used to play it and it was always OK but man, its fallen apart. I had to take a few drops from the fairway because the lies were unplayable. I packed up after 9 and went home.

Took a few trips down south last week and played Heritage Bluffs and Cinder Ridge. HB was decent. Good layout and a few nice challenging holes and mostly in good shape. I'd play it again.

Cinder Ridge...done with that place. Its got a good reputation and not sure why. It was in OK shape but it was a death march out there despite he rangers. It needs some work and its starting to show some wear and needs some love. The big issue with CR is the owner. I am not exaggerating when i say that the two times i have played there, he was in a shouting match with customers.

Been out at CR many times and never saw the owner shouting at customers. Also, usually play quick rounds at CR but admit I seldom play golf on the weekends anymore.

15 hcp

How did you play Sir?

How did you play Sir?

Well, I cheated the whole time by putting a head cover next to the ball, but it worked as I didn't shank a single one. Losing a bunch of distance in the process which is affecting all my clubs. Was never a big hitter, but I'm down about 60 yards on my driver and the big slice is back. Had a par 3 that was 140 into the wind and I went with driver and put it on the green 10 feet past the pin. ended up shooting a 41 with some good chipping and putting.

Baby steps, golf league tonight and gonna remove the head cover and hopefully all is well.

Going to Lawsonia tomorrow for golf trip with 3 friends and dreading it to be honest. At least the golf will be free for me.

Golf trip to French Lick in a month...if I'm not fixed by then I might cancel which would suck cause its with 3 good friends I only see on golf trips.

From what I've seen with the guys I've played with, slow greens help the average golfer and pace. It's simply easier to control, not just on putts but controlling chips as well. I've played rounds on fast greens with guys that chip back and forth over the green, then their first putt runs 10 feet by, 2nd putt goes 5 feet past and they're still grinding on their 3rd putt. Longer putts are going to be a struggle for some guys no matter what, but with slower greens the 10-15 footer is more of a guaranteed 2 putt at worst vs the fast greens. On fast greens the easy tap ins or gimmes depending on how you play aren't as abundant. Just what I've seen in my time, a lot of it going back to high school golf. The slow greens courses were normal pace, when our home course was lightning fast we were in for a long round. More time in both the extra putts and the extra attention given to reads and approaches.

Agree 100% with this. Fast greens are a nightmare for the average player. Most people don't practice their short game and fall apart on fast greens

From what I've seen with the guys I've played with, slow greens help the average golfer and pace. It's simply easier to control, not just on putts but controlling chips as well. I've played rounds on fast greens with guys that chip back and forth over the green, then their first putt runs 10 feet by, 2nd putt goes 5 feet past and they're still grinding on their 3rd putt. Longer putts are going to be a struggle for some guys no matter what, but with slower greens the 10-15 footer is more of a guaranteed 2 putt at worst vs the fast greens. On fast greens the easy tap ins or gimmes depending on how you play aren't as abundant. Just what I've seen in my time, a lot of it going back to high school golf. The slow greens courses were normal pace, when our home course was lightning fast we were in for a long round. More time in both the extra putts and the extra attention given to reads and approaches.

Agree 100% with this. Fast greens are a nightmare for the average player. Most people don't practice their short game and fall apart on fast greens

What's fast, though? 10? 11? 14? I agree that tour level speeds above 11 are difficult for many players. However, green speeds slower than an 8 lead to long 2nd putts. I believe the starting putt for the average golfer is over 30 feet. You leave those 4 to 8 feet short, and it's a long day.

... I think there is a nice happy medium been fast and slow. While I don't mind slow on 1 or 3, slow greens on 2 is just a travesty imo. Putts should not stop dead in the middle of a downslope.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Played Naperbrook yesterday and shot an 83 which would (coulda) been much better if I would have gotten out of 6 greenside bunkers without either skulling or chunking. Highlights of the day chipping in for a birdie on the par 3 8th hole and getting within 5 feet (birdie)on the 15th hole which was probably playing around 215 (uphill against the breeze). Best 3 wood I've ever hit.

... Awesome! One of the hardest par 3's I play. Uphill and judging the windy conditions is alway amazingly difficult. I feel like a birdie is almost a 1.5 stroke hole as par's feel like birdies. With no wind it can play pretty easy, depending on pin placement, but with the wind which always seems into you and swirly a 3 wood par is very impressive. So many birdie holes at Naperbrook but #3 and #15 are not on that list.

3 isn't a difficult hole once you learn how to play it, having worked out there for 5 years I spent many hours and have it down to a 190 yard tee shot aimed at the 2nd peninsula and it'll put you on the right side of the fairway, it's not enough yardage to reach the water even if you put a bit of a fade on the shot and it takes all the water left out. Next shot is a 190-200 yard shot aimed at the middle of the bunker, it would take a hell of a fade from that angle to end up in the water and if you hook it you should end up behind the bunker since 200 yards isn't enough to get to the bunker. From there it's a 100 yards to the middle of the green. Super boring way to play it, but for the most part, unless it's a ridiculously wayward shot it takes the water, the bunker and any OB out of play. Boring pretty much works for all their par 5's unless you catch one down wind and can have a nice iron into the green, they aren't the greatest collection in that the others require a very precise second shot to hit the green without being in a bad spot.

... That is pretty much how I play #3. 7-5 iron off the tee depending on wind and direction. But I have been burned a few times pushing a tee shot a little right and ending up in the water or deeper rough next to the water. Granted, it takes a bad shot, but that tee shot seems to bring more out than normal from me. And then the wind is usually into or a cross wind and I end up with anywhere from a 100-150 yd 3rd shot, often from the rough on the left side just to be safe. The other par 5's I enjoy, like you said more entertaining if there is a little helping wind as all of them are reachable in two.

What's fast, though? 10? 11? 14? I agree that tour level speeds above 11 are difficult for many players. However, green speeds slower than an 8 lead to long 2nd putts. I believe the starting putt for the average golfer is over 30 feet. You leave those 4 to 8 feet short, and it's a long day.

The "what's fast?" question is a subjective one. For me, 12+ is fast, but I play enough that I can adjust my short game accordingly. For the casual 20 handicap golfer who doesn't play that often, I'd say (s)he considers 10 to be fast greens.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

... North of Bolingbrook I played Tanna Farms today. Aside from forgetting they have 6 par 3's, the greens were a little soggy and more than a few traps were unplayable with either water or mud in them. Further North has to be even worse.

Actually things up here have been looking a lot better. I think by the end of this week, most courses should be back to normal if not sooner. I can vouch Shepherd's is in pretty good shape. I know Lake Bluff is still a bit soggy. But the weather the past couple of days has helped tremendously. Although they're talking rain tonight so we'll see tomorrow.

I need to get out to Shepherd's Crook still.

i called white deer run and they are in good shape, just cleaning up some last fwy bunkers after having fixed all greenside bunkers.

Countryside yesterday was awful I heard (wet and soggy and standing water)

Chevy Chase was closed yesterday.

I'm playing Royal Melbourne friday and I think they are in good shape

Hopefully rain stays at the 0.5" mark tonite and not more.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Left work early and met a buddy out at GDN. He had said when he played there on Monday that it was in decent condition. It was. Lots of fairways and greens on the front for 9 pars but left a few shots out there. Lots of fairways on the back but only hit the 18th green as my short game left me for 3 over. Ah well. Good practice for the Sandbelt next week.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Has anyone played Pine Meadows or ThunderHawk since the big rains? Havent been up that way at all this month and I would like to play either course this weekend.

Played at ThunderHawk, course condition was soft and greens were really slow but they weren't unbearably slow... If you know what I mean, probably around an 8-9 depending on the green and time of day. Fairways seemed to be fine as well!

Has anyone played Pine Meadows or ThunderHawk since the big rains? Havent been up that way at all this month and I would like to play either course this weekend.

Played at ThunderHawk, course condition was soft and greens were really slow but they weren't unbearably slow... If you know what I mean, probably around an 8-9 depending on the green and time of day. Fairways seemed to be fine as well!

Also make sure to bring some bugspray with you! Mosquitoes are no bueno :(

From what I've seen with the guys I've played with, slow greens help the average golfer and pace. It's simply easier to control, not just on putts but controlling chips as well. I've playedm m 949 rounds on fast greens with guys that chip back and forth over the green, then their first putt runs 10 feet by, 2nd putt goes 5 feet past and they're still grinding on their 3rd putt. Longer putts are going to be a struggle for some guys no matter what, but with slower greens the 10-15 footer is more of a guaranteed 2 putt at worst vs the fast greens. On fast greens the easy tap ins or gimmes depending on how you play aren't as abundant. Just what I've seen in my time, a lot of it going back to high school golf. The slow greens courses were normal pace, when our home course was lightning fast we were in for a long round. More time in both the extra putts and the extra attention given to reads and approaches.

The "what's fast?" question is a subjective one. For me, 12+ is fast, but I play enough that I can adjust my short game accordingly. For the casual 20 handicap golfer who doesn't play that often, I'd say (s)he considers 10 to be fast greens.

Definitely a 10 is too fast. A 20 hcp is going to miss greens a lot. The most time I've seen wasted is people wizzing their chips back and forth across the green

Sportsman was in great shape, no water damage or wet spots. At least the front 9 as that's all we played in our league last night. Some more slight improvements in my game, but still plenty of shanks. shot a 48, 20 shots better than what I did 2 weeks ago so there's that.

Heading up to Green Lake later today.

Dang, my friend said he'd treat me to a round at either sportsman or arboretum and we ended up deciding on arboretum.. hopefully arboretum isn't in too bad of shape - haven't putted on awesome greens yet this year :(

Lost Marsh tomorrow, and Deerpath on Sunday. Hopefully the relatively dry week has allowed the courses to dry out, and give the groundskeepers a chance to get the washed out bunkers back in shape.

royal melbourne was in great shape today

always a pleasure to play there

need to keep the ball on a short leash there

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x