Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

A wonderful day at Idlewild. Course was in fantastic shape.

On the plus side, my back was fine. A little stiff, but no pain. I drove the ball fine, but my iron play was atrocious. I only managed 5 GIRs, and 3 of those were on the par 3's. Still, I'm a happy camper because I think I can fire away tomorrow.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I teed it up at Coyote Run this morning. The course is in great shape. Greens rolled a little slow for a my liking, but not ridiculously slow. We finished in just under 4 hours.

Ballstriking was much more better than yesterday. 9 fairways and 11 greens. Three birdies offset the three bogies. My back is a little tight, but the worst appears to be over.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Hit Links of Carillon this morning and the course was in shockingly great shape, greens were fairly fast and rolled nicely and the rest of the course was well maintained. Impressive. It was a tough start with 3 straight bogey's on very easy holes but I then settled in and played the last 15 holes in even par. I had a 15 foot eagle putt on 18 and ended up with a par so it was a bit of a let down on the finish but right now any round can be our last round. I felt like I had a clue today out there so my excitement has reversed from the other day just in time for the weather to turn...

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I wasn’t able to execute my plan to play Spring Valley or Brighton Dale. By the time I got on the road, I was worried about running out of daylight. I called Shepherd’s, they were booked. That left Thunderhawk as my best option. For those that aren’t aware, I’m fairly critical of TH. I’ve had too many bad experiences with customer service, course conditions and pace of play to keep it on my radar. I also think the course design is a little goofy. But, on a beautiful day for $40, I was willing to give it a go.

The course is in great shape. I had a fun round, and played surprisingly well considering it first time touching a club in two weeks. However, the customer service wasn’t great. The starter was overwhelmed. He tried to split up a foursomes that came together. He was clueless how to handle a couple of singles. He lost his patience, and had a dozen golfers standing by the putting green with WTF looks on their faces. Bizarre. The pace of play was really slow. Three groups on every hole, and a 2 to 3 Minutes wait on every tee. We didn’t see a ranger until 15. He told us to pick up the pace. The group ahead was in the fairway waiting to hit their approaches. Come on man.

It’s a fun course, but they charge top dollar. The experience is never perfect. For a prime time weekend round, if I’m going to drive an hour north, I’ll play Stonewall every time.

My last comment: I had a bee on my ball for every shot. Is it the same bee following me around, or a different one each time?

Rant over. I hope everyone was able to get this weekend and enjoy the great weather.

I wasnât able to execute my plan to play Spring Valley or Brighton Dale. By the time I got on the road, I was worried about running out of daylight. I called Shepherdâs, they were booked. That left Thunderhawk as my best option. For those that arenât aware, Iâm fairly critical of TH. Iâve had too many bad experiences with customer service, course conditions and pace of play to keep it on my radar. I also think the course design is a little goofy. But, on a beautiful day for $40, I was willing to give it a go.

The course is in great shape. I had a fun round, and played surprisingly well considering it first time touching a club in two weeks. However, the customer service wasnât great. The starter was overwhelmed. He tried to split up a foursomes that came together. He was clueless how to handle a couple of singles. He lost his patience, and had a dozen golfers standing by the putting green with WTF looks on their faces. Bizarre. The pace of play was really slow. Three groups on every hole, and a 2 to 3 Minutes wait on every tee. We didnât see a ranger until 15. He told us to pick up the pace. The group ahead was in the fairway waiting to hit their approaches. Come on man.

Itâs a fun course, but they charge top dollar. The experience is never perfect. For a prime time weekend round, if Iâm going to drive an hour north, Iâll play Stonewall every time.

My last comment: I had a bee on my ball for every shot. Is it the same bee following me around, or a different one each time?

Rant over. I hope everyone was able to get this weekend and enjoy the great weather.

I had that same bee issue last Monday. Pace of play was awful as well. Over 5 hours on a late Monday morning

Hadn't played Settlers Hill in some time. Fun, challenging layout. Always windy. Greens were a little long and shaggy, but after putting badly for months, I started draining putts and finished with 27. I took video of my swing and made some changes and oddly enough they worked. There are some pretty difficult holes at Settlers including the narrow par 5s of 6 and 11. The wind was howling which made the par 3s that have significant elevation changes difficult to find the right club. I didn’t know they have weird water rules there since it’s on or next to the landfill. You can only use the water you buy or they give you for any purpose on the course.

Weather is getting really cold next week with highs in the 40s. Might be my last time out.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Hit Links of Carillon this morning and the course was in shockingly great shape, greens were fairly fast and rolled nicely and the rest of the course was well maintained. Impressive. It was a tough start with 3 straight bogey's on very easy holes but I then settled in and played the last 15 holes in even par. I had a 15 foot eagle putt on 18 and ended up with a par so it was a bit of a let down on the finish but right now any round can be our last round. I felt like I had a clue today out there so my excitement has reversed from the other day just in time for the weather to turn...

... I really like Carillon. Not a great course but always fun to play with the exception of #5. Any pin placement other than way up front or all the way in the back is subject to that silly hump that feeds all balls off the green. When they are running fast it is not unusual to be below the hole and have it run up, almost stop then come right back down. But from the right tees for you ability it is a challenge, but fun and playable. Love all the par 5's that provide a great risk reward.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Bloomington didn't get nearly as much rain as the Chicago area did and Prairie Vista was in excellent shape as a result. The course was playing fast and firm and the layout is really good. There's tons of variety on the par 3s, 4s and 5s and the greens were really firm. Sadly, they hadn't been rolled, presumably because there was no cloud cover overnight. With no dew, it wouldn't surprise me if the maintenance crew took the morning off. Not cool but, hey, fall golf. For less than $25 on a Saturday, I take what I'm given and only complain around likeminded folk. I drove the ball really well and hit a lot of greens. I had one birdie on the fourth hole with four bogies. 75.

Rant time. If I don't play the Den at Fox Creek again, that's fine by me. I don't like Arnold Palmer designs in general and the Den has every Palmer gimmick I dislike. It's super modern to a fault (super wide fairways yet no flat lies, LOTS of blind shots, wide open off the tee but with fairways that all funnel and either go way up or straight down to protected greens, plays much longer than is listed on the card, greens that have HUGE mounds) and Arnie pulled a Pete Dye and went crazy with bulldozers on all the par 5s. Fake mogul after fake mogul after fake mogul. JUST BECAUSE THE CATERPILLAR FACTORY IS RIGHT DOWN THE STREET DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED TO USE THEM ON EVERY LONG HOLE! Oh, how could I forget another weekend with 25 mph winds? It was 10-15 mph at Vista but the Den was absolutely howling. People wonder why rounds take so long now. Well, most guys can't handle these bomber courses, especially the senior citizen in front of us. Never trust a guy wearing two knee braces and jorts on a golf course. I kept it together better than a certain playing partner and managed a 77. Going 325 off the tee on 10 was cool (thanks wind). I thinned my approach from 165 but got up and down for my lone birdie. I felt like a pro going driver-8 iron on a par 5 except for, ya know, the thin second shot.

What's with this season being over talk? Trick or Treat round at Lost Marsh next weekend! Naitch, whattaya got for me?

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Made the trip to Prairie View yesterday. Huge fan of the layout in terms of the variety of holes. They didn't get any of the storms we faced last weekend so the course was playing fast. The green were punched a couple of weeks ago and almost completely healed. With range balls, it was $24 walking...can't really beat that. Pace was just under 4 hours but we did wait on a few holes.

Made the trip to Prairie View yesterday. Huge fan of the layout in terms of the variety of holes. They didn't get any of the storms we faced last weekend so the course was playing fast. The green were punched a couple of weeks ago and almost completely healed. With range balls, it was $24 walking...can't really beat that. Pace was just under 4 hours but we did wait on a few holes.

Prairie View in Indiana? Ive played there once. I like it.

Byron, Illinois I'm guessing.

Nice. Never heard of it, I’ll have to put it on the list.

Definitely worth the drive.

Nothing better than a quick round that beats the rain. Well, almost. I had an 8 am tee time at Sportsman's, but looking at the radar early this morning it didn't look too promising. I figured the rain would be here by 10 am. I headed out early hoping to catch an opening. I managed to join another single as the 2nd group out. We wound up playing through the threesome in front of us after a few holes, and then flew around the course in just over two hours. The rain hit just as I got to the parking lot. Still got a good soaking. Lol.

The course was in nice shape. No real signs of the heavy rain last weekend. The fairways looked great. On the other hand, the greens looked like they'd been carpet bombed. I don't think I've seen bigger aeration holes. Funny thing is that they were rolling nicely, as the holes had filled in. They just looked awful.

Something about speed golf that suits my game. Hit it and go. I managed 10 fairways and 14 greens. Two birdies on the front vs one bogie. On 11 I drained a nice 30 footer for birdie. Bogied 15, but sunk a 12 footer for birdie on 16. The best hole of the day was the dreaded 17th. With a steady tailwind, it was a pussycat today. Bombed a drive that left me 215 to the center pin. I hit a nice hybrid that rolled up the front of the green and came to rest pin high on the right fringe. Missed the eagle putt after a poor read, but had an easy tap in birdie.

With the morning round out of the way, I figured I'd treat myself to a nice brunch at Revolution. Nothing like a nice Imperial Porter before noon. Should put me in the right frame of mind for the Bears game.

Definitely worth the drive.

Yep, Byron. Well worth the drive and probably one of the hidden public course gems in IL.

Jim, let me know when you want to hit Prairie View. I was hoping to play it earlier this year, but they had an outing the day I was in the area. I hear it's a real gem.

Jim, let me know when you want to hit Prairie View. I was hoping to play it earlier this year, but they had an outing the day I was in the area. I hear it's a real gem.

Jim, it's a 1.5hr ride from Harlem/90 so try and plan on playing 36 if you make the drive. Awesome course, great conditions with a very nice practice area.

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Lake Bluff Saturday afternoon, course was in pretty good shape. Greens had been aerated a month ago and were still a little slow and bumpy, or at least slower and bumpy than we're used to seeing out there. But its late October so no complaints. Pace of play was good, but only because a 4some let us through on #11 which allowed us to breeze through. Group behind us didn't get to jump 4some and their round took an extra 45 minutes.

Continued to play well, but left 3 in the sand for a triple bogey on par 3 which sunk my chances of flirting with 80. Ended up with an 83.

27 hole scramble at Sportsman this Saturday, looks like its gonna be in the low 40s. Might end up bailing on that.

Lake Bluff Saturday afternoon, course was in pretty good shape. Greens had been aerated a month ago and were still a little slow and bumpy, or at least slower and bumpy than we're used to seeing out there. But its late October so no complaints. Pace of play was good, but only because a 4some let us through on #11 which allowed us to breeze through. Group behind us didn't get to jump 4some and their round took an extra 45 minutes.

Continued to play well, but left 3 in the sand for a triple bogey on par 3 which sunk my chances of flirting with 80. Ended up with an 83.

27 hole scramble at Sportsman this Saturday, looks like its gonna be in the low 40s. Might end up bailing on that.

Is Lake Bluff 17 still a par 3?

Is Lake Bluff 17 still a par 3?

nope, par 5.

I decided on Friday to take today off with the intention of getting in a few rounds before the real cold weather hits. Of course on Friday, there was no rain in the forecast for today. Haha. Not one to waste a day off, I got up super early and decided to head out to Rockford, with the hope that the rain would past that area by the time I teed off. Fortunately, it worked out perfectly as I got to Aldeen around 7. By then, the rain was over and the round was completely dry.

I've played Aldeen a handful of times and I've always been on the fence about the course. To be fair, I've only played on the weekends when the course is full. Each time I felt like I was in a shooting gallery with balls flying all over the place; into the other fairway, off the trees, etc. I hate that stuff. My head is always on a swivel just wondering when I'll have to duck behind my Clicgear. Well, no issue today, as I had the course to myself. Have to say, I really enjoyed my round and the course. There's more than meets the eye and the conditions while wet, were very playable. In particular, the greens were excellent. Very smooth and still had good pace considering the rain. And, of course, #18 is a great closer.

On my way back to the city, I stopped at Blackstone. I was actually surprised by the number of people out on the course for a dreary day. While the layout is terrific, I've lost my patience with #5. Its just a dumb hole and one of the worst in Chicagoland. There's no reason for a par 3 that long to have a green that penal. Today the pin was cut in the front, but on the downslope. I was just off front right, a step into the rough. With the wet grass, it was an impossible chip to get the ball anywhere close. Considering the length of the hole, I have to say that front right has to be a popular landing spot. But, unless the pin is back, that's extremely difficult up and down. Honestly, I would rather they have a front bunker there, as it would at least give you a chance to get some decent spin on the ball.

That said, I can't complain too much. Considering how bad the weather was this morning in the city, I was fortunate to get in one round, let alone two. And, while I play until it snows, with all the rain and the cold weather coming, mud season is officially here.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I decided on Friday to take today off with the intention of getting in a few rounds before the real cold weather hits. Of course on Friday, there was no rain in the forecast for today. Haha. Not one to waste a day off, I got up super early and decided to head out to Rockford, with the hope that the rain would past that area by the time I teed off. Fortunately, it worked out perfectly as I got to Aldeen around 7. By then, the rain was over and the round was completely dry.

I've played Aldeen a handful of times and I've always been on the fence about the course. To be fair, I've only played on the weekends when the course is full. Each time I felt like I was in a shooting gallery with balls flying all over the place; into the other fairway, off the trees, etc. I hate that stuff. My head is always on a swivel just wondering when I'll have to duck behind my Clicgear. Well, no issue today, as I had the course to myself. Have to say, I really enjoyed my round and the course. There's more than meets the eye and the conditions while wet, were very playable. In particular, the greens were excellent. Very smooth and still had good pace considering the rain. And, of course, #18 is a great closer.

On my way back to the city, I stopped at Blackstone. I was actually surprised by the number of people out on the course for a dreary day. While the layout is terrific, I've lost my patience with #5. Its just a dumb hole and one of the worst in Chicagoland. There's no reason for a par 3 that long to have a green that penal. Today the pin was cut in the front, but on the downslope. I was just off front right, a step into the rough. With the wet grass, it was an impossible chip to get the ball anywhere close. Considering the length of the hole, I have to say that front right has to be a popular landing spot. But, unless the pin is back, that's extremely difficult up and down. Honestly, I would rather they have a front bunker there, as it would at least give you a chance to get some decent spin on the ball.

That said, I can't complain too much. Considering how bad the weather was this morning in the city, I was fortunate to get in one round, let alone two. And, while I play until it snows, with all the rain and the cold weather coming, mud season is officially here.

Although it deserves a thread of it's own, I'd consider that par 3 to be in the top 5 toughest Par 3's in IL.

Came across this in a news feed that gets pushed out to me regarding Lake Bluff Golf Course.

https://jwcdaily.com/2017/10/15/lake-bluff-to-study-golf-course-park-facilities/

Not sure what the outcome will be.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Saw "ark facilities" in the URL and thought they might be looking at a way to deal with all the rain and flooding of late.

Lately it seems like that is necessary. Just move the animals and put in a short par 3 course.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Although it deserves a thread of it's own, I'd consider that par 3 to be in the top 5 toughest Par 3's in IL.

I agree but there’s a difference between “challenging yet fair” and “stupidly difficult.” A 234 yard par three doesn’t need a miniature golf green. I’ve seen a grand total of one birdie on that hole and it was when the pin was front middle, which is honestly the only accessible hole location. I love the course but there’s no reason why 5 can’t play as a 200 yard hole from the back tees.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I agree but there’s a difference between “challenging yet fair” and “stupidly difficult.” A 234 yard par three doesn’t need a miniature golf green. I’ve seen a grand total of one birdie on that hole and it was when the pin was front middle, which is honestly the only accessible hole location. I love the course but there’s no reason why 5 can’t play as a 200 yard hole from the back tees.

I think that hole is easiest to birdie when the pin is in the back. In front, it's really hard because you have to hit a really high 180-190 yard shot with little to no room to land the ball. In the middle, the pin sits between two huge slopes which is a difficult putt. You also forgot to mention that this 234 yard par 3 is almost always into the wind. I hit the ball farther than most and I've come up short with my 3 wood into the wind on this hole though.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna