2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1435248025' post='11833056']
I've seen the pictures of the new i-E1 series irons.

I was a huge PING fan and was a very early adopter of the i20 series irons.

Why would I buy the new i-E1 series irons when I could buy a set of i5s...get a better looking iron...adjust them to my specs...for a fraction of the Cost?
[/quote]You could say that about different iterations of many irons...Titleist 710/12/14, Mizuno 5X, 6X...Taylormade MC, RSi TP etc.

Why would I buy the new i-E1 series irons when I could buy a set of i5s...get a better looking iron...adjust them to my specs...for a fraction of the Cost?
[/quote]

If you plan on playing in big time tournaments, those i5s would be illegal. If you don't plan on that though, they would be an awesome option. Great sticks.

[quote name='JRJ70' timestamp='1435248656' post='11833118']
Not sure what to think of these based on the pictures, gonna have to wait until I see them in hand before judging. Might be hard for me to justify an upgrade just because of the price, may be S55s instead.
[/quote]

It is an interesting point. If the I series goes to the same price point as the S series, that might shift the decisions of a number of buyers. Some will just stay with the G series for max price reasons and others will say if I'm going to pay that much I might as well get the S series. Or get G-series long irons and S series from 7-P. That price jump might make a not insignificant difference in i series sales altho if people just shift to other ping irons maybe it doesn't matter to ping. Does make me wonder tho if the i series goes to 999, then the next S series club seems likely to go up in price.....

[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1435248723' post='11833124']

[/quote]You could say that about different iterations of many irons...Titleist 710/12/14, Mizuno 5X, 6X...Taylormade MC, RSi TP etc.
[/quote]

I'll agree with you that iterations of irons look different, but, I'm really not sure where PING is going with this line.

To me, the i-E1 look almost identical to Adams Redline irons...with the exception of i-E1 rounded edges in the cavity (as opposed to jagged edges on the Redline), the i-E1 blue accent, and PING badging.

I was hoping to put the next iteration of the i series in my bag. However, I'm going to take a wait and see approach, because there's got to be some serious tech to balance out the 'meh' appearance.

[attachment=2822838:adams-golf-redline-iron-2.jpg]

[quote name='doublehans' timestamp='1435249031' post='11833154']
It is an interesting point. If the I series goes to the same price point as the S series, that might shift the decisions of a number of buyers. Some will just stay with the G series for max price reasons and others will say if I'm going to pay that much I might as well get the S series. Or get G-series long irons and S series from 7-P. That price jump might make a not insignificant difference in i series sales altho if people just shift to other ping irons maybe it doesn't matter to ping. Does make me wonder tho if the i series goes to 999, then the next S series club seems likely to go up in price.....[/quote]

I thought it was mentioned earlier in the thread that price in stores likely won't be $999?

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1435249469' post='11833210']
[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1435248723' post='11833124']

[/quote]

I'll agree with you that iterations of irons look different, but, I'm really not sure where PING is going with this line.

To me, the i-E1 look almost identical to Adams Redline irons...with the exception of i-E1 rounded edges in the cavity (as opposed to jagged edges on the Redline), the i-E1 blue accent, and PING badging.

I was hoping to put the next iteration of the i series in my bag. However, I'm going to take a wait and see approach, because there's got to be some serious tech to balance out the 'meh' appearance.

[attachment=2822838:adams-golf-redline-iron-2.jpg]
[/quote]And they all look like this... :)

With clubs out in the public and all it was just a matter of time before some photos get out. Hopefully nobody gets into serious trouble over the "leak". At any rate, I saw the photos and think the club looks fine. I get a chuckle over the guys bashing the back cavity appearance. You don't hit the ball with the backside of the face. Besides, it looks fine. Nothing overly noteworthy. Guys bashing the cavity should have their man card revoked.

Noteworthy details include no tungsten weight (should save Ping some money there), and no chrome plating (another cost savings). Offering various aftermarket shafts with no upcharge is where the cost offset comes in. Seems fair enough.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='golfnhack' timestamp='1435250282' post='11833336']
Whelp. Just cost myself a REALLY good contact at PING because of my hack. Would have been fine if people did not post the pics on the board (even if you took them down). Deeply regret doing this now.
[/quote].
No secret is safe on the internet bro. I wouldn't have done it in the first place.

Titleist 910D3 9.5* AD-BB 6x
TEE CB2 15* ProForce V2 75s
TEE CB2 18* ProForce V2 75s
Ping i20 20* TFC707H 82s
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW S300
Vokey Oil Can SM4 58.06*
WITB Link

Whelp. Just cost myself a REALLY good contact at PING because of my hack. Would have been fine if people did not post the pics on the board (even if you took them down). Deeply regret doing this now.
[/quote]

Someone at Ping probably got in trouble. Because it wasn't a hack of any private info as all you had to do was plug in a url to their own public website. So someone goofed up. But you never posted any pics (which they do own), you just mentioned their goof. Still, if someone got in trouble for their mistake, it's prob human to find someone else to blame.

ultimately, Ping has always been form following function. Invariably, they will release their promotional materials in a couple weeks, explain how the new design sounds better, feels better, is more forgiving, longer and easier on the eyes at address then everyone will buy them.

Guarantee that they will look good in hand. They are a nice mixture of classic ping and classic player irons qualities.

I really struggle to see why companies like Ping (or anyone else) get mad when this happens. If you give physical samples to reps that travel out in public, they have to KNOW pics are going to get taken. I mean, we are in the smart phone/social media era after all.

Ai Smoke TD Max 10.5* Ventus TR Blue
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

somebody just post the dang picture! :superman::stop: Ping acts like were trying to break into Fort Knox lol

Financial Representative
Modern Woodmen of America
Ping G30 - Tour AD DI 6x
Ping G25 5 Wood Tour AD DJ 8s
Ping G25 3-6 iron TT Dynamic Gold s300
Ping i25 7-UW TT Dynamic Gold s300
Ping Glide 56 & 60
Cameron Fastback

[quote name='PT1911' timestamp='1435251916' post='11833486']
I really struggle to see why companies like Ping (or anyone else) get mad when this happens. If you give physical samples to reps that travel out in public, they have to KNOW pics are going to get taken. I mean, we are in the smart phone/social media era after all.
[/quote]Agreed, if PING's "upset" then it's by design to gen up interest. Nothing like a "secret" to get people interested. It's sure working! Also agree that if they put physical samples in the hands of humans and expect total secrecy, they're straight-up fools. Welcome to 2015.

Don't worry PING, you'll still get my money!!!

Driver: Somewhere between my old G400 LST 10* and a Stealth 2 9*
3-Metal: TSi2 13.5* at D4 (+0.75)

5-Metal:  0341 Gen2 18*

4-Hybrid:  i25 22* 
Irons: i210 5-U
Wedges: SM8 54D, SM9 60M
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2MCS 
Ball: -Pro-V1x 

[/quote]

But surely you would never do it again, right golfn[b]hack[/b]?

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1435251616' post='11833456']
I get a chuckle over the guys bashing the back cavity appearance. You don't hit the ball with the backside of the face. Besides, it looks fine. Nothing overly noteworthy. Guys bashing the cavity should have their man card revoked.
[/quote]

E...You and I agree on many things, and I respect you as a good member of this community...but, in this case I disagree.

In my opinion, the cavity and badging are the visual aesthetics that help to differentiate Brand X from Brand Y. It's the first thing you notice and look at right before pulling a club...on each iron shot.

Does it matter? Well, if you think your irons look like **** visually, it's not exactly confidence inspiring.

Prior to release I thought the i20s looked amazing, and if you remember correctly, there was a photo leaked back then of the sole and the badging of an iron head sitting on a table. I thought they looked great, and subsequently bought a set of i20s (great irons BTW).

Fast forward to today, and (in my opinion) the new i-E1s look like Adams Redline irons with a rounded cavity. There's nothing wrong with that, however, I was hoping for something better.

Especially at the expected price point.

[quote name='PBrowne3' timestamp='1435248795' post='11833128']

[/quote]

If you plan on playing in big time tournaments, those i5s would be illegal. If you don't plan on that though, they would be an awesome option. Great sticks.
[/quote]

It seems like within the past two weeks a photo was posted that showed a PGA professional who had a mixed set of irons in his bag and several of them were i5's. What about his grooves in tournament play? I wish I could find that pic.

[quote name='Bimmer1' timestamp='1435256711' post='11834026']
[quote name='PBrowne3' timestamp='1435248795' post='11833128']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It seems like within the past two weeks a photo was posted that showed a PGA professional who had a mixed set of irons in his bag and several of them were i5's. What about his grooves in tournament play? I wish I could find that pic.
[/quote]

Ping made a limited number of i5 sets with CC grooves.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[/quote]

People would not have posted the pictures if they did not know how to get to them. The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of whomever provided the information. I would have dropped you like a hot potato too.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1435255681' post='11833916']
[/quote]

But surely you would never do it again, right golfn[b]hack[/b]?
[/quote]

Sorry, you lost your contact, but I am not sure why Ping would take that aggressive sort of action. I have been playing with Ping irons since the 80s and have playing pretty much exclusively with them. I think people should be able to be informed about whether or not to spend about a grand on golf clubs or wait for something that is only a few months away. Personally, I am look for a semi game improvement club with classic look. I might give the s55 a try but I worried with a wife and a toddler that I wouldn't have the time to practice as much as I would like.

With clubs out in the public and all it was just a matter of time before some photos get out. Hopefully nobody gets into serious trouble over the "leak". At any rate, I saw the photos and think the club looks fine. I get a chuckle over the guys bashing the back cavity appearance. You don't hit the ball with the backside of the face. Besides, it looks fine. Nothing overly noteworthy. Guys bashing the cavity should have their man card revoked.

Noteworthy details include no tungsten weight (should save Ping some money there), and no chrome plating (another cost savings). Offering various aftermarket shafts with no upcharge is where the cost offset comes in. Seems fair enough.
[/quote]
They do need to look good in the bag too....but I find nothing crazy about these. Am I a fan...not sure until I see them in person. If that pocket is like the Nike VR Pro Combos then they won't be for me. BUT they will be like every other Ping iron...straight and forgiving. Personally was hoping for a rebaged I5 with conforming grooves. :(

[/quote]

There is a tungsten toe weight just like the i15-i25. It's more blended so harder to see.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey