2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i-e Irons?

Nessism

[quote name='snagy2000' timestamp='1436749095' post='11936374']
Increased lofts and longer shafts...I bet they are going to guarantee increased yardage just like everyone else...Very TaylorMade of you Ping if true...
[/quote]

The increased length on the i-e only gets them to standard Titleist length, so they're not extra long. Up to now, Pings have been 0.25" shorter than other brands. It depends on where they measure from, grip on vs. bare shaft, etc.

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1436667253' post='11931826']
Some pics.

[attachment=2849144:IMG_20150711_130451-R.jpg]
[attachment=2849146:IMG_20150711_130442-R.jpg]
[attachment=2849148:IMG_20150711_130410-R.jpg]
[attachment=2849150:IMG_20150711_130354-R.jpg]
[attachment=2849152:IMG_20150711_130339-R.jpg]
[attachment=2849154:IMG_20150711_130250-R.jpg]
[/quote]

I love these comparison pics. Willing to wager that once the dets come out, the new iron will have the i5's forgiveness performance metrics, but in a streamlined more elegant form/package - a result that is likely a remarkable R&D feat (that will have engineers at Ping doing cartwheels: i5 forgiveness in a form that looks almost like a blade?? Bonus for the team!!) but the buying public flummoxed. Potential to be the Holy Grail "tweener" iron for those of us on that quest, but when you look at that last photo (address position), the i5 owner, long awaiting the update to the i5, may not "see" enough forgiveness, and may move into his second decade w the i5s. End of the day, the genius of the i5s was that they were refined G5s. As an i series devotee, I will buy the new irons as I believe the new iron to be an incremental improvement to the i25s (and a clear refinement of the optics of the iron in the playing position and in the bag - Ping deserves credit for focusing on function/performance first and refining the form w subsequent iterations; the i20s were a superb iron from a performance standpoint- tweener iron w a bias towards forgiveness-and it would be hard/impossible to improve upon them from a performance standpoint. The only way to improve upon them was to make them look better which is hard to design but they have succeeded w the subsequent series). I may be wrong, but the i5 devotee (I have owned 2 Sets of i5s w different shafts and I GET IT) will not change until Ping designs a "refined" G30

Great feedback and thoughts lrl. And I completely agree.

I've been gaming the i5s for the last 10 years mainly because of their medium size and SGI forgiveness. Sure, they're bigger than the i series from i20s onwards, but it's that balance I can't get away from.

I'll most likely give these iE1s a shot. Here's hoping the balance is in these new i series too.

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

[quote name='Little Ned' timestamp='1433950647' post='11725840']
Any idea on a release date?
[/quote]

Per my fitter, Rick, there will be an announcement during the week of July 13. In stores in August....date unknown but I would guess early. Ping is not allowing tours until August so that should be a clue.

I demo'd the iE1, not while I was at Ping, at a local retailer in Scottsdale. I hated it with the 'new' CFS Distance shaft. Still prefer the i25 with CFS stiff or KBS Tour S. Per Rick at Ping the CFS and the CFS Distance shafts are "identical". I don't believe that based on my results in a simulator.

From what I see and what I read,the new iE1 irons have adopted the "boxy" shape of the old i5'sand that is excellent. They may have the forgiveness of the i5's in a thinner sole and top line blade ,but are what they are : a modern PLAYER's CB iron.

Which means that for the likes of me seeking more forgiveness than the i series,but not the ugly (for me) G series blade shape,we can only hope and pray Ping brings out the G35 irons with the usual large footprint but "boxier" shape, à la i5,-not so long heel to toe) ,and perhaps a tiny bit less offset in the 3-6 irons. That would be a hit with the mid-higher HC guys like me.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='Techgolfer1' timestamp='1436767171' post='11937658']
What is the deal with the i5 irons? I've honestly never played with one person who's ever played them. Not one. I've played college golf and some big amateur events and have never seen a guy with them. By the way these look better. �
[/quote]

D.A. Points won twice with them a few years back (including Pebble with Bill Murray as his partner).

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1436763415' post='11937572']
Great feedback and thoughts lrl. And I completely agree.

I've been gaming the i5s for the last 10 years mainly because of their medium size and SGI forgiveness. Sure, they're bigger than the i series from i20s onwards, but it's that balance I can't get away from.

I'll most likely give these iE1s a shot. Here's hoping the balance is in these new i series too.
[/quote]

^^ this
There is a familiar and pleasing 'thud' that the i5 produces that would not appeal to you if you are looking for a pure miura/mizzy fiz off a forged blade. I've also have the i5s in different shafts and prefer the S300 feel and ballflight. The iE1 has a similar pleasing feel to me. YMMV.

Everything is better in retrospect. I remember thinking that the PING i3+ irons would never leave my bag. They didn't until the i15. Then I remember thinking the i15 would never leave my bag. They didn't until the RocketsBladez.

When I owned the i15, I remember buying a i3+ 7 iron to hit, thinking, "I think the i3+ were a better iron". Well, they weren't. A few months ago I though "man, those i15's were great. I wonder how they would fair against the RocketBladez". They weren't nearly as good as I remembered.

Same with drivers. I swore the Titleist 983K driver was the longest, best driver I ever owned, so I bought one a couple months ago off ebay. 5 balls on the range was all it took to make me realize...... everything is WAAAAAAAY better in retrospect.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

[quote name='Spirit76' timestamp='1436773587' post='11937768']
[quote name='Little Ned' timestamp='1433950647' post='11725840']
Any idea on a release date?
[/quote]

Per my fitter, Rick, there will be an announcement during the week of July 13. In stores in August....date unknown but I would guess early. Ping is not allowing tours until August so that should be a clue.

I demo'd the iE1, not while I was at Ping, at a local retailer in Scottsdale. I hated it with the 'new' CFS Distance shaft. Still prefer the i25 with CFS stiff or KBS Tour S. Per Rick at Ping the CFS and the CFS Distance shafts are "identical". I don't believe that based on my results in a simulator.
[/quote]

Both shafts are identical in balance, stiffness and weight.....but the CFS distance is 1/2 inch longer at standard..this might be why you did not hit it as well. Also, there are many shafts that are rumored to be no upcharge with the I irons. You might find one of those that you like more!

[quote name='Gogogadgetwilly' timestamp='1436852080' post='11944312']
So I rang PING Europe asking for a demo and they wouldn't even talk about it. Anyone got any advance notice of any UK dates?
[/quote]

End of the month I'd say....

Titleist TS 3 Graphite 10,5 Design IZ 6 Stiff
Titleist TS 2 Graphite 16,5 Design IZ 7 Stiff
Titleist CNCPT irons 3456789

Demos will be in shops and information on Pings website tomorrow. Believe ordering begins then.

Hit the demo 7 iron next to my I25 and it seemed nice, but will need to get outdoors to see turf interaction. Not a whole lot different numbers or feel wise., but that should be expected. One surprising thing though....looking at this iron from the back I see i5....at address I see i10. Not sure how they did it but it looks like a pretty small package at address with offset hidden well, while looking game improvement from the back. Look forward to seeing the longer irons.

[quote name='JOHN GOLIA' timestamp='1436839138' post='11943314']
[quote name='Oliver Klozoff' timestamp='1436838669' post='11943240']
I was considering these to replace my i20s. But with the blue on the back there's no chance.
[/quote]So you are telling us that even if they out perform your i20`s you will not play them
because of a little blue? Just asking...
[/quote]

lol....apparently blue dot is the new black dot ......that's really gonna mess people up.

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1436878652' post='11945216']
I was considering these to replace my i20s. But with the blue on the back there's no chance.
[/quote]So you are telling us that even if they out perform your i20`s you will not play them
[/quote]

lol....apparently blue dot is the new black dot ......that's really gonna mess people up.
[/quote]

I am guessing that because the irons are now .25 inches longer that they play more upright than what black once was. So yes, blue is the new black.

If possible, someone post a comparison pic of the sole compared to S55 and i25.

Thanks!!!!!!

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

[quote name='ptrck2184' timestamp='1436879542' post='11945302']
[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1436878652' post='11945216']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am guessing that because the irons are now .25 inches longer that they play more upright than what black once was. So yes, blue is the new black.
[/quote]

will the old dots translate to the new irons, i.e. if i'm white dot in i25s will i also be white dot in iE1s?