2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Long drive screw job...

So yesterday I was in a local 4 man scramble tournament at what has been my home club for the past few years. The 8th hole being the long drive hole. I hit an absolute bomb splitting the fairway and finishing at 289 yds (into the wind) /passive brag... Anyways it was 30 yards past the previous shot and I had figured I had it pretty well locked up with only a few seniors behind us finishing up their rounds... Ohhh this is where it gets good.

The senior tees are all of 100 yards closer than the tees I play and wouldn't you know that a "senior" (he was 62) hits his shot about 2' past my marker according to the on-course official. They give him the long drive prize, yet he hit his shot 180 vs my ~290. I made a complaint with the course that seniors should be in their own division, Especially if given a 100yd head start. Am I wrong to be upset with this? It's really trivial in the grand scheme of things since we won the tournament at -15 and won 2 of the 3 total skins at $193 each. Tournament cost $95 to enter.. 386$ total in skins split 4 ways = $96.50 each. So we basically played for free.

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you out drove him........he knows you out drove him...we all know you outdrove him...

its been your home course for 4 years? I would have thought you would have been aware of the details.

Your group won the skins....played for free....let it go...lifes too short to let this kinda stuff bother you.

Sooner than you think..you'll be one of the seniors...and some youngster will be PO'd because you

outdrove him......

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

[quote name='518TitleistX' timestamp='1434902735' post='11800310']
So yesterday I was in a local 4 man scramble tournament at what has been my home club for the past few years. The 8th hole being the long drive hole. I hit an absolute bomb splitting the fairway and finishing at 289 yds (into the wind) /passive brag... Anyways it was 30 yards past the previous shot and I had figured I had it pretty well locked up with only a few seniors behind us finishing up their rounds... Ohhh this is where it gets good.
The senior tees are all of 100 yards closer than the tees I play and wouldn't you know that a "senior" (he was 62) hits his shot about 2' past my marker according to the on-course official. They give him the long drive prize, yet he hit his shot 180 vs my ~290. I made a complaint with the course that seniors should be in their own division, Especially if given a 100yd head start. Am I wrong to be upset with this? It's really trivial in the grand scheme of things since we won the tournament at -15 and won 2 of the 3 total skins at $193 each. Tournament cost $95 to enter.. 386$ total in skins split 4 ways = $96.50 each. So we basically played for free.
[/quote]
I would say you are wrong to be upset about anything that happens in a four man scramble.........

It is trivial but OP had the "longest" drive; the whole thing smells of generation Y..."Everyone gets a ribbon."
Tournament chairman fooked up in my humble opinion...lol.

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

im not circling the barrel and crying myself to sleep at night about it... I just feel that there should be a separate division if you are playing off a different tee box. women had their own long drive, seniors should be separated as well if you get a 100+yard head start. and as far as prizes, it was a choice of a $50 gift certificate to the club proshop, or a dozen new pro v1's.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='518TitleistX' timestamp='1434941385' post='11805784']
im not circling the barrel and crying myself to sleep at night about it... I just feel that there should be a separate division if you are playing off a different tee box. women had their own long drive, seniors should be separated as well if you get a 100+yard head start. and as far as prizes, it was a choice of a $50 gift certificate to the club proshop, or a dozen new pro v1's.
[/quote]
So you wanted to walk away with all the prizes..........I say we all pitch in and buy you a dozen balls.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1434941685' post='11805856']
[quote name='518TitleistX' timestamp='1434941385' post='11805784']
[/quote]
So you wanted to walk away with all the prizes..........I say we all pitch in and buy you a dozen balls.
[/quote]

no. I wanted the bragging rights. I could care less over the balls or gift certificate. I want the win. having someone tee off 100 yards ahead of you and "win" a long drive contest is just a croc of ....well.. you get it

Artisan SS 0217 Putter

as I said.. trivial... but whats right is right.

Artisan SS 0217 Putter

At least didn't get beat by a woman as I did in a similar scenario. Get over it

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

A 289 yd drive is nothing to be passively bragging about on these forums. There are guys here that can hit that with a 5 iron. You'll get no sympathy from people here on this, especially if you won all the other prizes. Besides, it's a charity scramble....some teams have their scorecard filled out on the first hole.

Swing harder!!!

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Taylormade  Gloire U4 Utility Iron JDM 20* - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

I feel for the OP. Sometimes in league I am the only person not playing from the Gold tees. I hit the ball far and they know it, but they will say "he hits it almost as far as Clarence" without any notion to the fact that I'm teeing off well behind him. Petty, sure. But it doesn't help the ego (which we all know is at the center of anything distance related). Also, I gave up trying to win long drive in scrambles, especially when my father in law is usually playing from the golds on a different team and can still hit it 250+yds.

My thoughts are either exclude forward tee players from winning long drive or make everyone hit from the same set of tees on that hole (just as they do for hole in one holes for cars).

I've learned to have very low or no expectations when it comes to any scramble or net format other than gross stroke play events. Too many variables. Just be glad you were out golfing and having a great time :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Are we still on this topic? 290 isn't very long anyway, so hit it further or play up some tees.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1434942515' post='11806076']
I'm not trying to put you down, but come on, bragging rights for a long drive at a 4 man scramble.....I've won quite a few of them and lost quite a few of them, and believe me, no one cares or remembers the next day who won or who didn't.
[/quote]

I do remember one.....

Last year in an event, the long drive was hit by the PGA pro who owned the driving range. It was over 400 yards.

We didn't even know it was the long drive hole until we saw the sign while we were on our way to our second shot.

Our first league outing is being held this weekend. All prizes are equal except we have two long drive prizes, regular and senior (65+).

X________________________________ Sign Here

Ha! Last year I played a scramble. A guy in my group who is the long hitter had the long drive all but locked up on the 2nd hole. Almost the exact same scenario, we had two groups behind us to go and his drive was at least 30 yards in front of the next longest.

Prize time comes and they announce the longest drive winner and a guy who cant stand up straight walks up to claim his prize (I don't even remember what it was). We all sat there with our mouths open. This guy was into his 70's and moved like a tortoise. We didn't see anyone playing from anything but the whites that day (Blues are back on this course). This dude obviously hit from the SR tees, even then we were suspect. But we all had a good larf about it. My buddy the long hitter ended up winning a really nice 1 of 250 prints from the Timberwolves, framed and everything. So Karma worked out in the end!

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

If you are going to pay the entry fee and spend most of your day playing in the tournament, it should have the appearance of being a fair contest. It shouldn't be a big deal to have prizes for each tee. For you jokesters who say hit it 290, what are you going to say if the winning senior drive was 99 yards further? I guess OP should have hit it 389.

If that is how the scramble was set up at least you lost fair and square. I'm not saying I agree with a senior hitting up and winning the long drive but if he played within the rules I would have congratulated him. You should let your actions speak for themselves. No one there really cares if you won the long drive but maybe the other players in your group and they already know who actually had the longest drive without your bragging rights.
At least you didn't get cheated out of it. I remember one time I had the longest drive (years ago lol). I mean I was sure no one was going to top that long cart path aided long drive. When we finished up we rode by the long drive hole to see the long drive sign 50 yds behind where mine was.
Take these scrambles for what they are worth. A day away from work with friends, having a good time goofing off on the course.
I bet 75% of the time people that win the scramble, win closest to the pin , or win the longest drive cheated anyway.

[quote name='seajohn' timestamp='1435400184' post='11843604']
If you are going to pay the entry fee and spend most of your day playing in the tournament, it should have the appearance of being a fair contest. It shouldn't be a big deal to have prizes for each tee. For you jokesters who say hit it 290, what are you going to say if the winning senior drive was 99 yards further? I guess OP should have hit it 389.
[/quote]
This weeks word of the week.......jokesters.......By the way, the minuet they call it a four man scramble, it loses all appearancesof being a fair contest.

• 1 month later...

Kind of lIke in the weekly game I play we have closest to the pin on all the par 3's. Problem is there are a few women who are pretty decent players who get to hit into all these par 3's at a whopping 80 yards. They clean up every week on the closest to the pins. It gets aggrivating to hit my 7 or 8 iron to 10 feet only to see the name Terri or Cathy on the plaque at 3 or 4 feet. Is what it is I guess....

Why not make it drive distance relative to hole distance? So a 300 yd drive on a 500 yd hole gets a score of 300/500 or .6, meaning a senior would have to hit 240/400 to get the same effect I think.

Nike Vapor Flex 9.5* Left/Low, Rogue Max Low 75TX
Nike VR Pro LE 15*, 'Ahina 75s
Nike Vapor Fly 20*, ATX Tour Green 85TX
Titleist 712U 4i, C-Taper 120x
Mizuno JPX-800 Pro 5-P, X100
Ping Tour Gorge 50SS, SM5 M-Grind 54/10, TM Tour Preferred 58/10
Edel E-3 Torque Balanced 36", 345g, Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour 104cc
Titleist Pro V1x
All gripped w/ Lamkin Crossline ACE Midsize, with buildup tape 15.5mm RH/16mm LH