2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Mizuno MP-5 Blades

TRoc9892

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else have trouble looking down at the PW? It just looks so big and round so I've been using my Vokey.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Yeah I learned not to trust specs...mine have always been off either sw,loft or lie....they do have A and B heads...1 is normal and 1 is lighter

My set came in pretty close to spec I ordered but I added a lil bit more weight on the head (115 gr shaft), it just wasn't getting through turf cleanly.....with some extra weight now they are......one of benefits of playing a heavier shaft is getting through ground effortlessly.....

I ordered d2/d3 and my PW came in at d2.7 and 4 iron was d1.8 so was very close....I added more weight as a personal preference after playing few rds.....I havnt checked my lofts yet which I normally do but my PW is flying pretty far so have feeling it's not 46 deg.....all my lie's look pretty good....I usually just play em on course and than adjust if I see weird divots or ballflight consistently

Yeah I didn't pull em, decided to just play em....so tired of redoing clubs I just said f it....I added more weight to head....could be shaft, only seeing gains in 7-pw (mp5)not so much in 4-6 (mp25)....same shaft throughout......just seems ball explodes off the mp5 a lil more than mp25....I was flying greens by along ways and that is not me by any stretch....I am usually pin high or short

Yes I know this as well, I didn't add a ton of weight, just enough that club gets through ground better....went up 1 sw point and ended up backing it down to maybe 1/2 point.....sounds ridiculous I know but I can feel very minute changes....prolly cuz I have tinkered so much, lol

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1444670944' post='12445978']
does anyone feel these are light? mine are with kbs c taper 120, and coming from rsi tp's with dgti s 400,, these feel really light.. my mizuno spec sheet says SW is "ideal" whatever that means..
[/quote] I would imagine they feel like a feather...every club I swing that had c taper felt really light but incredibly stiff....which is a weird combination to me.....especially if your coming off the thumpy feel of s400......I ordered ns pro 1150 last year and they were d1/d2

Ideal means balanced with shaft weight.....usually d2/d3 with s300 which is std shaft for most....so lighter shafts will have lighter swingweight...so it's proportionate.....unless it's otherwise noted by the buyer....I would rather have em lighter cuz it's easy to make em heavier

[quote name='Georgie Z' timestamp='1444669167' post='12445858'][quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1444667088' post='12445700']
Anyone else have trouble looking down at the PW? It just looks so big and round so I've been using my Vokey.
[/quote]

Every club is beautiful except the pw. The pitching wedge looks like a gi iron.[/quote]

I felt the same way. Looks so big an round at address. Performance is good though, so guess we have to get used to it.

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

9 grams at shaft is a sw...and also the balance point of the shaft effects sw.....10 grams in a shaft is alot to some.....s400 is even heavier, and then tolerances of shafts can be either lighter or heavier depending on what batch of em you get.......some are oblivious to weight and others are very sensitive

Kbs is 120 gram but sw very light because of some counterbalancing I believe....where the weight is in the shaft is factor....

Took the MP5's out for their inaugural run this morning. Up until this point I had only hit them a little on the range. I was hesitant to take them because I'm killing my current set up. Hard to resist those shiny new heads however. Not sure what to think... The feel is absolutely outstanding, however was having a real hard time keeping them from drawing or at worst hooking (this is my miss). The ball fight is very high, which I don't mind, but the distance didn't seem to be there like I thought I it would be. Didn't have my best stuff, but certainly not my worst. The jury is still out...

[quote name='Axman55' timestamp='1444783417' post='12452764']
Took the MP5's out for their inaugural run this morning. Up until this point I had only hit them a little on the range. I was hesitant to take them because I'm killing my current set up. Hard to resist those shiny new heads however. Not sure what to think... The feel is absolutely outstanding, however was having a real hard time keeping them from drawing or at worst hooking (this is my miss). The ball fight is very high, which I don't mind, but the distance didn't seem to be there like I thought I it would be. Didn't have my best stuff, but certainly not my worst. The jury is still out...
[/quote]

What's your set up in the MP 5s? Shafts, etc? I'm guessing it's the same as the AMPs, eh?

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1444786373' post='12453042']
[quote name='Axman55' timestamp='1444783417' post='12452764']
[/quote]

What's your set up in the MP 5s? Shafts, etc? I'm guessing it's the same as the AMPs, eh?
[/quote]

yes same. I think its the offset issue. MP5 have more. I won't give up just yet. I am a long time mizuno fan!

I ordered the 8-PW to fill out my set and have had them in the bag about 2 weeks now.

These three clubs are the most solid irons I've ever hit. I'm carrying them about 5-7 yards further than anything I've had in my bag over the past 5 years. I was also surprised by the relatively high flight but the ball continues to carry strong even into a 1 club wind. The Nippon 1150 is a really nice match for me and it performs fabulously in this head whether its feel, control, and distance.

I'm usually picky about appearance at address and these irons set up beautifully behind the ball. The head size, even in the PW, looks great to my eye. I thought the thicker top line might be offputting for a blade but it's just thin enough to look good yet thick enough to make me think I'm about to go through the ball with a sledgehammer. The footprint at address promotes a no-brainer takeaway...for me.

Next spring I may start experimenting by ordering the 7 iron and later seeing how deep into the bag I want go with the MP-5.

This is a brilliant iron on several levels and a legend in the making in my opinion.

Mizuno MP-650 10.5* Driver, Orochi Red
MP-650 3w 15*, hybrid 19*,Orochi Red S
MP-54 3-7 Nippon 1150 S
MP-5 8-PW Nippon 1150 S
MP-R12 52* and 56*, DG Spinner
T.P. Mills Softtail

[quote name='cheeks' timestamp='1444888777' post='12458654']
I ordered the 8-PW to fill out my set and have had them in the bag about 2 weeks now.

These three clubs are the most solid irons I've ever hit. I'm carrying them about 5-7 yards further than anything I've had in my bag over the past 5 years. I was also surprised by the relatively high flight but the ball continues to carry strong even into a 1 club wind. The Nippon 1150 is a really nice match for me and it performs fabulously in this head whether its feel, control, and distance.

I'm usually picky about appearance at address and these irons set up beautifully behind the ball. The head size, even in the PW, looks great to my eye. I thought the thicker top line might be offputting for a blade but it's just thin enough to look good yet thick enough to make me think I'm about to go through the ball with a sledgehammer. The footprint at address promotes a no-brainer takeaway...for me.

Next spring I may start experimenting by ordering the 7 iron and later seeing how deep into the bag I want go with the MP-5.

This is a brilliant iron on several levels and a legend in the making in my opinion.
[/quote]
Should you purchase more MP5'S, buy with confidence. I have same shaft in my 5 thru PW. I can tell you that these irons are impressive. My scores have been as solid as these irons. Coming from MP4'S. I barely had to adjust anything . The irons frame the ball nicely. Sweet feel and workable. All in a very smart design.

One thing I forgot to add above is the relative forgiveness of the irons, at least in my 8-PW.

There does indeed seem to be a sweet "area" in these irons rather than a "spot" as Mizuno likes to say.

When these irons were delivered a couple of weeks ago I couldn't stand it and went to the range at my usual course after work. The grass hitting area of the range was under maintenance and I had to hit off the artificial surface, which is about a 5 ft. wide, 100 yd. long strip of artificial turf that forms an arc around the back of the hitting area. Though synthetic, it's of very high quality and not really like hitting off of mats.

My first shot with the PW just melted into the face of the club and flew high and strong, and thinking it had to be struck perfectly on the sweet spot, I just had to look at where the ball impacted the virgin clubface. To my surprise the impact mark appeared to be a hair toward the toe of dead center, where I otherwise would have thought it should be more toward the heel. Below is a photo of it, first shot with my new MP-5 PW. I'm curious if any of you have found this sweet "area" to be larger than you thought it would be, or instead if you think this is the new normal for all modern player's irons.

GcyK2Ke.jpg

Mizuno MP-650 10.5* Driver, Orochi Red
MP-650 3w 15*, hybrid 19*,Orochi Red S
MP-54 3-7 Nippon 1150 S
MP-5 8-PW Nippon 1150 S
MP-R12 52* and 56*, DG Spinner
T.P. Mills Softtail

Well I am one weak minded golfer. I tested the MP5's yesterday again with C-Tapers lite on an outdoor range. Although I didn't find them longer than my J15's. In fact, I do believe the J15's were longer. I did find them just as easy to hit. The ball flight seemed to be great with the C-Tapers. I really couldn't tell about the spin though.

The thing that really has me intrigue about the MP5's is how great it looks sitting behind the ball. I actually feel like I was making better ball strikes with the MP5's due to how it looks. Silly, I know, but my friend Jay has mentioned to me about the top lines on the J15's before about how big they look. I always thought they look perfect. But after seeing how great the MP5's square up a ball, I certainly understand Jay's comments.

I will go back today to test for the third time. If I hit them as well as I did yesterday, I will order a set.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

MP-5's off of synthetic turf??? Blasphemy! :swoon::taunt:

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

One thing I forgot to add above is the relative forgiveness of the irons, at least in my 8-PW.

There does indeed seem to be a sweet "area" in these irons rather than a "spot" as Mizuno likes to say.

When these irons were delivered a couple of weeks ago I couldn't stand it and went to the range at my usual course after work. The grass hitting area of the range was under maintenance and I had to hit off the artificial surface, which is about a 5 ft. wide, 100 yd. long strip of artificial turf that forms an arc around the back of the hitting area. Though synthetic, it's of very high quality and not really like hitting off of mats.

My first shot with the PW just melted into the face of the club and flew high and strong, and thinking it had to be struck perfectly on the sweet spot, I just had to look at where the ball impacted the virgin clubface. To my surprise the impact mark appeared to be a hair toward the toe of dead center, where I otherwise would have thought it should be more toward the heel. Below is a photo of it, first shot with my new MP-5 PW. I'm curious if any of you have found this sweet "area" to be larger than you thought it would be, or instead if you think this is the new normal for all modern player's irons.

GcyK2Ke.jpg

Modern blades are set up to center the sweet spot on the club face. You are hardly 1/8" toward the toe. Once you get used to these clubs, you'll be able to feel that. . . . . but you won't see an penalty for that "miss." Because it's not really a miss.

I ordered mine 1/4 inch long and swingweight came out to D3/4 which is what I play my irons at. But that was with the x100s.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='Ti-Cip ' timestamp='1444670944' post='12445978']
does anyone feel these are light? mine are with kbs c taper 120, and coming from rsi tp's with dgti s 400,, these feel really light.. my mizuno spec sheet says SW is "ideal" whatever that means..
[/quote]

C tapers are continuous weighted shaft, they will make your clubs swing weight differnent than your DG's, which is why i went from Titleist C taper - had 12 gram slugs in the hosel - to Mizuno ctaper - Mizzy has A&B heads, B are heavier heads to work with higher swing weights

Said it many times, Mizzy is the closest OTR iron you can order from a Large OEM - that you can really ordered specs perfect,

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN