2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno MP-5 Blades

TRoc9892

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered a set today after a fitting with the regional Mizuno rep. and going to replace the 4s with these new 5s. They are pretty easy to hit and actually flew farther for me than the MP-25.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Titleist 915 D3 9.5* [/size][/font][/color]<br />[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Titleist 915F 16.5*[/size][/font][/color]<br />[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Titleist 915F 21*[/size][/font][/color]<br />[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno MP-5 4-PW[/size][/font][/color]<br />[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Vokey TVD 53* / 58*[/size][/font][/color]<br />[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Bettinardi Queen B model 6[/size][/font][/color]

I attended an official Mizuno demo day today and the rep had complete sets of the entire current line-up setup with the standard shafts/grips for each of their clubs. I was able to hit the entire bag for the MP-5 and directly compare them to my MP-32 set. The MP-5 set had the standard DG S300 shafts while my MP-32s have Nippon 1150GH stiff. The shafts are somewhat similar so I felt the comparison is at least mostly valid.

Feel-wise the clubs are quite similar. I much prefer the Nippon shaft over the DG so there's no doubt that some of my shaft preference crept into my observations. I have hit the MP-5 demo 6 iron head on the 1150GH out of the cart, but as I've learned today, there's definitely a difference in feel between the demo head setups and an actual glued up build. The MP-5 felt a tad more muted, but had a more "authoritative" thump when pured.

Distance-wise the MP-5 was slightly longer. (probably a couple yards on average) I do have my MP-32s bent 1* strong to match Mizuno "modern" lofts for the MP series.

Forgiveness-wise is where the MP-5 definitely separates itself. Purposely hitting shots off the toe or thin maintained their distance better than my old MP-32s. I noticed that not only does the channel back head design of the MP-5 help thin shots still get nicely airborne, but the sole grind is also more versatile and I think it probably can be played equally well by the sweeper or the digger. My MP-32s are more temperamental and have a stronger preference for diggers.

I was able to hit the MP-5 all the way down to the 3 iron. I was quite surprised at how accessible even the long irons were without being overly punishing for small mishits. There was about a 10 yard variance between my pured shots and minor mishits with the long irons (3 & 4). That may sound like a lot, but I could live with that.

Overall I'm very impressed with this new club, but I'm not sure yet if it will make it in my bag, I need more time to consider where I'm going with my golf game and what I really need out of my irons if i was to buy a new set.

[quote name='Noodler' timestamp='1442638091' post='12334250']I attended an official Mizuno demo day today and the rep had complete sets of the entire current line-up setup with the standard shafts/grips for each of their clubs. I was able to hit the entire bag for the MP-5 and directly compare them to my MP-32 set. The MP-5 set had the standard DG S300 shafts while my MP-32s have Nippon 1150GH stiff. The shafts are somewhat similar so I felt the comparison is at least mostly valid.

Feel-wise the clubs are quite similar. I much prefer the Nippon shaft over the DG so there's no doubt that some of my shaft preference crept into my observations. I have hit the MP-5 demo 6 iron head on the 1150GH out of the cart, but as I've learned today, there's definitely a difference in feel between the demo head setups and an actual glued up build. The MP-5 felt a tad more muted, but had a more "authoritative" thump when pured.

Distance-wise the MP-5 was slightly longer. (probably a couple yards on average) I do have my MP-32s bent 1* strong to match Mizuno "modern" lofts for the MP series.

Forgiveness-wise is where the MP-5 definitely separates itself. Purposely hitting shots off the toe or thin maintained their distance better than my old MP-32s. I noticed that not only does the channel back head design of the MP-5 help thin shots still get nicely airborne, but the sole grind is also more versatile and I think it probably can be played equally well by the sweeper or the digger. My MP-32s are more temperamental and have a stronger preference for diggers.

I was able to hit the MP-5 all the way down to the 3 iron. I was quite surprised at how accessible even the long irons were without being overly punishing for small mishits. There was about a 10 yard variance between my pured shots and minor mishits with the long irons (3 & 4). That may sound like a lot, but I could live with that.

Overall I'm very impressed with this new club, but I'm not sure yet if it will make it in my bag, I need more time to consider where I'm going with my golf game and what I really need out of my irons if i was to buy a new set.[/quote]

I'm moving from the ns 1150 shafts to the s300, the 1150 is a lighter(by 15g) softer tipped shaft. I must say I was extremely surprised I liked a heavier shaft, but as you mentioned I think it contributed to the "thump"y feeling of the new line of irons. At least that's part of what I attributed it to. I found a set of the mp5 and they come with s300 so tried them out and they are sniper rifles, and really easy to swing at that. Though since I've already got the 25s on order I'll have to wait for the mp7 to go to full blades, which I'm relieved to be writing, I could use the time to practice a bit more.

^^^^^^^^ You're right on the shaft comparison. I was thinking 1150GH X flex when I wrote that, forgetting that my MP-32s are from "earlier days" when I was using the 1150GH stiff soft-stepped. My newer sets have Super Peening Blue and the 1150GH X and they're more comparable to the DG S300. There is a bit more difference between the DG S300 and the 1150GH Stiff (especially when soft-stepped). So I need to take that difference more into account in my testing. Still doesn't change the fact that the MP-5 is a wonderful head. :)

Received my new irons on Wednesday. 4-p c-taper x flex. I was previously playing mp-4s with kb tours. In my comparison the 5s are def initely more forgiving however they certainly seem to be larger in profile. I hit the 4s very high for me and always felt I would balloon them into the wind. The reason I went with the c tapers was previous experience and to help fight the ballooning, they work. Played 18 on Wednesday with them and been to the range each day since. I think once people see them they will quickly realize why the 64s are being dropped. Never hit the 64s but can't imagine they are more forgiving than these. Maybe a hair more offset and a thicker top line make them appear to be larger so if you are a purist and don't consider these blades you most likely won't like them. Great set, very happy with them, think I'll go order the 3 iron now...

I played 9 holes today with my new set of 5s. Here are impressions, in context, with caveats:

I've been playing MP4s with 1150S straight in, and MP64s with 1150S soft-stepped 1X. Both 1/4in long and 1deg upright.

My new set of 5s are the same length, BUT 2deg upright, and the shafts are XP115 S300.

The 5s have at least as gratifying feel off the face as the 4s, and at least as much forgiveness as the 64s. The 5s absolutely have a more buttery feel than the 64s.

The shafts were perfect in the "bay" on the monitor for my swing; on the course, they will take some adjustment. The 1150s are more demanding in terms of exactly what it takes to load them. The XP115s will respond more readily to half swings, and definitely reward a smoother swing.

As stated, feel is amazing. Pure Mizuno. For my swing, the head/shaft combo is point-and-shoot; very high and very straight. I will have to work to find the knock-down swing. Apart from some experimenting at the range, I had no occasion to work the ball on the course-- there was no wind, and it was a shotgun, so not much craziness in placements. One exception: Ventana Canyon course No. 9, pin tucked in right; I hit a cut, and got just what I expected, but started it too far right, leaving me with a short chip pin high.

I welcome the responsiveness of the XPs, EXCEPT when I really go after it-- which isn't often. For my swing, I can start to feel some squirreliness if I get too aggressive.

But feel from the MP5 head? Absolutely love it. Better than my 32s; close to 67s (most underrated IMO). It is a big step forward in finding the balance among feel, positive/negative feedback, and real forgiveness.

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1442690566' post='12336036']
What exactly is the point of this, "MJ?" Are you trying to enhance the experience of new visitors here, thus adding to the usefulness and contributing to the value of this site?

Seriously.
[/quote]Yes, seriously. My opinion is as valid as Joe Smo's opinion who hit his mp5 flawless off the mat in the indoor bay.

You took this personal, to each his own!

Mp6

@therealping

Just put my order in for 4-6 in the 25's and 7-P in the 5's. I did some extensive on course testing with various shafts, and ended with PX 6.0's. Coming from KBS S+ in my AP2 714's I thought I would give PX a shot again, and they didn't disappoint. I used to have them in my R7TP's a number of years ago, then started trying DG and KBS. Definitely not a DG guy, and it was cool that some of the carts now have a X100SS in the cart to try but my launch was just a touch too low.

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1442752809' post='12338434']
Just put my order in for 4-6 in the 25's and 7-P in the 5's. I did some extensive on course testing with various shafts, and ended with PX 6.0's. Coming from KBS S+ in my AP2 714's I thought I would give PX a shot again, and they didn't disappoint. I used to have them in my R7TP's a number of years ago, then started trying DG and KBS. Definitely not a DG guy, and it was cool that some of the carts now have a X100SS in the cart to try but my launch was just a touch too low.
[/quote]

You are going to love that combo!

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1442752809' post='12338434']Just put my order in for 4-6 in the 25's and 7-P in the 5's. I did some extensive on course testing with various shafts, and ended with PX 6.0's. Coming from KBS S+ in my AP2 714's I thought I would give PX a shot again, and they didn't disappoint. I used to have them in my R7TP's a number of years ago, then started trying DG and KBS. Definitely not a DG guy, and it was cool that some of the carts now have a X100SS in the cart to try but my launch was just a touch too low.[/quote]
I plan on doing the same thing. Really love the look of both the 25s and the 5s. Maybe go KBS instead of the PX though for a little added spin

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1442691236' post='12336068']
I played 9 holes today with my new set of 5s. Here are impressions, in context, with caveats:

I've been playing MP4s with 1150S straight in, and MP64s with 1150S soft-stepped 1X. Both 1/4in long and 1deg upright.

My new set of 5s are the same length, BUT 2deg upright, and the shafts are XP115 S300.

The 5s have at least as gratifying feel off the face as the 4s, and at least as much forgiveness as the 64s. The 5s absolutely have a more buttery feel than the 64s.

The shafts were perfect in the "bay" on the monitor for my swing; on the course, they will take some adjustment. The 1150s are more demanding in terms of exactly what it takes to load them. The XP115s will respond more readily to half swings, and definitely reward a smoother swing.

As stated, feel is amazing. Pure Mizuno. For my swing, the head/shaft combo is point-and-shoot; very high and very straight. I will have to work to find the knock-down swing. Apart from some experimenting at the range, I had no occasion to work the ball on the course-- there was no wind, and it was a shotgun, so not much craziness in placements. One exception: Ventana Canyon course No. 9, pin tucked in right; I hit a cut, and got just what I expected, but started it too far right, leaving me with a short chip pin high.

I welcome the responsiveness of the XPs, EXCEPT when I really go after it-- which isn't often. For my swing, I can start to feel some squirreliness if I get too aggressive.

But feel from the MP5 head? Absolutely love it. Better than my 32s; close to 67s (most underrated IMO). It is a big step forward in finding the balance among feel, positive/negative feedback, and real forgiveness.
[/quote]I ordered the xp115 based on true tempers response that they are very similar to dynalite gold xp.....hit the shafts in hitting bay and pretty sure I going to yank em when my set gets here.....I wasn't a fan at all on that day, seemed very vague is only way to describe it....couldn't feel shaft loading and than bam it would just "kick".... I like to feel a stable loading and unloading, a sense of what shaft is doing throughout swing.....may just get px again or back to s300 idk

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1442711620' post='12337118']
[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1442690566' post='12336036']
What exactly is the point of this, "MJ?" Are you trying to enhance the experience of new visitors here, thus adding to the usefulness and contributing to the value of this site?

Seriously.
[/quote]Yes, seriously. My opinion is as valid as Joe Smo's opinion who hit his mp5 flawless off the mat in the indoor bay.

You took this personal, to each his own!

Mp6
[/quote]

You said absolutely nothing in your post. that was the point. I didn't take it "personal." Have a good day.

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1442771116' post='12339550']
[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1442691236' post='12336068']

[/quote]I ordered the xp115 based on true tempers response that they are very similar to dynalite gold xp.....hit the shafts in hitting bay and pretty sure I going to yank em when my set gets here.....I wasn't a fan at all on that day, seemed very vague is only way to describe it....couldn't feel shaft loading and than bam it would just "kick".... I like to feel a stable loading and unloading, a sense of what shaft is doing throughout swing.....may just get px again or back to s300 idk
[/quote]

Give them a few days on the course. . . . . . . coming from 1150s, it's a much different feel.

I played 9 again this morning, and the shafts are starting to jibe with my swing. Feel of the club is head heavy; I think the balance of the shafts is different, along with the flex pattern.

[quote name='Gumby82' timestamp='1442765672' post='12339212']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you specify a swing-weight with your order? If not, what did they come in at with your set>?

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1442787861' post='12340672']
[quote name='Gumby82' timestamp='1442765672' post='12339212']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you specify a swing-weight with your order? If not, what did they come in at with your set>?
[/quote]

Yep, but I specified based off the swing weight of my old mizuno irons which they tried to match as best as they could. I don't know the exact specs as I'm not that much of a tech head but they certainly don't feel any difference when moving from mp25 to mp5. I think mine swing a bit lighter than d3 as I really like a midsize grip.

[quote name='Jdaws012' timestamp='1442675614' post='12335290']
These are way sexier than my girlfriend will ever be
[/quote]You, my friend, need a new girlfriend.

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

Guys I have to make a confession. I did something really stupid today. I hit the MP-5s. They only had the 6 iron to hit but god was it nice. I hit the MP-25 6 iron as well but I was hitting the MP5 about 5-7 yards longer with better dispersion. Not to mention the feel wasn't even close between the 5/25s (To me). Maybe the 5's gave me more confidence which lead to better results but during my first session with them the numbers did not lie. I'm hovering around 6 handicap and the 6 iron was not difficult to hit. To me it was just like hitting my s55 long irons forgiveness wise.

My s55's are getting nervous. I definitely want to try the 716 CBs before I commit to anything. One thing that makes me think twice about getting new irons is the extra cost of removing both sets of shafts so I can put my recoil prototypes in them. I believe last time I did that with my s55's it cost an extra $150-200. Looks like going to get fit is the only option so I can remove any doubt about which irons are best for me. Its going to be a lot of fun testing out the new Mizunos, Titleist, Pings and maybe throw in the Cobras in there.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

I've been demoing the MP 5 and MP 25s extensively over the last couple weeks and I'd agree that in terms of forgiveness, there's not a tremendous difference 7 iron up - For me, hitting irons in a simulator or on the range is one thing - where I can hit 10 balls in a row - but hitting them on the course is different, when you might go an entire round and only hit 5 iron once...or not at all -

With that in mind, I really noticed the difference in forgiveness in the 3-6 irons where I found the MP 25s to be a fair bit better -

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1442952064' post='12351696']
I've been demoing the MP 5 and MP 25s extensively over the last couple weeks and I'd agree that in terms of forgiveness, there's not a tremendous difference 7 iron up - For me, hitting irons in a simulator or on the range is one thing - where I can hit 10 balls in a row - but hitting them on the course is different, when you might go an entire round and only hit 5 iron once...or not at all -

With that in mind, I really noticed the difference in forgiveness in the 3-6 irons where I found the MP 25s to be a fair bit better -
[/quote]

So you've been demoing them on course? Is your miss fat/thin or is it more heel/toe? On the simulator the 5's gave me better distance control...

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1442952064' post='12351696']

[/quote]

I'd like to hear your review of the new clubs since you've played them on the course already.