2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno MP-5 Blades

TRoc9892

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443110718' post='12361802']
[quote name='DNice26' timestamp='1443093535' post='12360660']
Curious why guys would bother mixing in MP25s? If you feel the need to mix, why not just buy a full set of 25s? I'm a mizzy guy and I'm considering what to do, hard to resist these new offerings....so good looking at address. Although I currently play MP68s, I'm tempted to go all in on a set of 25s....they apparently have less offset than the MP5s. I also got a chance to look at them recently and Mizzy knocked it out of the park in the address position. The short irons look great. My biggest dilemma is whether to go with Ctapers in stiff hard stepped once or to go with them in X and have them soft stepped 2x. Any opinions on that???? Splitting hairs here I'm sure. The added weight of the X might be nice.
[/quote]

When you hit the 3-6 irons in the MP 25 they are very responsive, and don't lose a lot of distance when you slightly miss it. I went with a combo of the 5's from 7-PW because the feel in the scoring clubs is just awesome with the 5's but I need help with longer irons thus ordering the 25's. It's a great opportunity to have a truly amazing combo set from Mizuno, with Mizuno feel and turf interaction. I liked it so much, that it displaced my AP2 trend which has been in place since the 710's.
[/quote]

Considering also a switch from MP64s to a combo 25s/5s (4-6 / 7-PW) in the short term once I have the chance to hit them extensively but I am a bit concern about the yardage gap between 6 iron (MP25 w/boron) and 7 iron(MP5). Any feedback?
Thanks

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious why guys would bother mixing in MP25s? If you feel the need to mix, why not just buy a full set of 25s? I'm a mizzy guy and I'm considering what to do, hard to resist these new offerings....so good looking at address. Although I currently play MP68s, I'm tempted to go all in on a set of 25s....they apparently have less offset than the MP5s. I also got a chance to look at them recently and Mizzy knocked it out of the park in the address position. The short irons look great. My biggest dilemma is whether to go with Ctapers in stiff hard stepped once or to go with them in X and have them soft stepped 2x. Any opinions on that???? Splitting hairs here I'm sure. The added weight of the X might be nice.
[/quote]

When I ordered mine I spent over an hour hitting full sets of both the 5 and the 25. I didn't like the look at address of the shorter irons in the 25 but enjoyed the extra help the 25's gave me in the long irons. There is a bit of a spring hot face feel which I assume is because of the slot. I came from an old set of mizuno TZoid True blades. I felt I didn't need the extra help in the short irons and loved the feel of the 5's.

What I am actually more surprised with is just how well they blend through.

[quote name='mortimer' timestamp='1443122418' post='12362766']
[/quote]

When you hit the 3-6 irons in the MP 25 they are very responsive, and don't lose a lot of distance when you slightly miss it. I went with a combo of the 5's from 7-PW because the feel in the scoring clubs is just awesome with the 5's but I need help with longer irons thus ordering the 25's. It's a great opportunity to have a truly amazing combo set from Mizuno, with Mizuno feel and turf interaction. I liked it so much, that it displaced my AP2 trend which has been in place since the 710's.
[/quote]

Considering also a switch from MP64s to a combo 25s/5s (4-6 / 7-PW) in the short term once I have the chance to hit them extensively but I am a bit concern about the yardage gap between 6 iron (MP25 w/boron) and 7 iron(MP5). Any feedback?
Thanks
[/quote]

Choke down on the 6? I play a 6H and a 7 iron with a 20 yard gap. Choking down an inch on the hybrid knocks off 10 yards, so I effectively have two clubs in one.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

I didn't notice any difference in distance b/w the 5's and the 25's (or even my 54's), don't think gaps will be an issue. I actually hit the 5's a little longer than the 25's, but didn't like the thin face feel of the 25's. I think the off center strikes may lose less distance w/the 25's, but they are by no means a distance iron, maybe an extra 5 yards for some. I'm actually going to get 7-PW in the 5's and keep my 54's in 4-6.

I split at 7 iron to 8 iron but notice no issue whatsoever in distance gaping.

Taylor Made Sim 9.5 Degree w/ Ventus Black 6X

Taylor Made Sim Ti 3 Wood w/ Diamana Fairway Ltd 75X

Taylor Made UDI #3 w/ Diamana Thump 100X

Titleist T100S 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0

Titleist SM8 50/54/58 x/ Project X 6.0

Evnroll ER2.B

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

Gapping should be a non issue - I know the MP 25 marketing pushes some distance features of the "boron forging" but in my testing this is unrealized on the course - If anything we're talking a yard or two difference at most...

Thanks guys. It is good to know that 25s and 5s blend seamlessly since probably I will only be able to hit 6 iron on both

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I like these a lot. Like a 64 wrapped in a nicer, slightly sleeker package, and yes a bit softer feeling flushed. I hit a 9 iron thin into 12 today at a back pin and got middle of green. I don't hit on the toe, so no feedback there. I hit one chunky, but it was just a typical decel by me.

I did not think I would hit one of them til 5 today due to how the course starts, but pounded a drive on one to 130 and hit the 9 to about 12 feet (yeah, missed it). They play a lot like the 64's but feel a bit nicer, and look a lot better.

Well done here Mizzy (Vosh).

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]have 2 rounds on mine and both not super ballstriking days but on best 6 iron and best 7 iron it's not an issue....I didn't see huge gains with mp25....just seems like it keeps ydg on mishits......mp5 mishits were pretty impressive too, hit a few pretty bad and still got my number, and Putt for birdie

Gonna take some rounds for me to get used to new shaft length, shaft itself, lil bigger grip and lighter overall club weight.....I prolly could have done mp25 straight through for whole set easily...feel is really good on the very few i struck cleanly....havnt been playing near as much as i normally do, so can't really say whole lot about these irons yet but am sure they perform if I perform! ( iSnr that usually the case?lol)....but I was a toe slapping hog last few days so as I expect any club I would have swung wouldn't have been to great

My buddy has mp4 and mp5 is quite a bit chunkier for sure...

[quote name='jcfountain33' timestamp='1443126135' post='12363044']
[quote name='DNice26'
timestamp='1443093535' post='12360660']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

I didn't notice any difference in distance b/w the 5's and the 25's (or even my 54's), don't think gaps will be an issue. I actually hit the 5's a little longer than the 25's, but didn't like the thin face feel of the 25's. I think the off center strikes may lose less distance w/the 25's, but they are by no means a distance iron, maybe an extra 5 yards for some. I'm actually going to get 7-PW in the 5's and keep my 54's in 4-6.
[/quote]
I also have the 54s and I have never liked the P,9 and 8. I grab my buddy's mp 4s occasionally in those clubs and love the feel. Buying 3 clubs could give me the perfect set as I really like the 54s 7-3.

Got the fed ex notice. My mp5's deliver Monday! Can't wait! I'm loving my Amp cell pros but Mizuno is Mizuno!
*side note had the shafts pulled on the Amp Cell Pros yesterday and compared the head to the MP5 demo iron in the local shop. very similar in shape with the MP5s slightly larger and a slightly more curved leading edge with a thicker sole*

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

I am still in love with mine. . . . . . several rounds in observations:

The feel is fantastic!!!!!!!! This coming from someone who owned and played 32s, 67s, 68s, 69s, and 4s. Oh, and 64s.

Control is there; This set has new-to-me shafts (XP115s), so there is adjustment going on. For example, a hard high fade is difficult, because the shaft wants to hit it straight when I make an aggressive swing.

Forgiveness seems to be no problem-- however, I seem to be swinging well at the moment, perhaps honeymoon-inspired.

Still gorgeous. the clubs, that is.

BTW I am not a splitter. I play 5-P. This 5i is NOT difficult to hit. I'm thinking of adding a 4i just for fun. At the moment, I play 5i to 185-190, then move to a Titleist 915H 24deg.

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1443275651' post='12370242']
I am still in love with mine. . . . . . several rounds in observations:

The feel is fantastic!!!!!!!! This coming from someone who owned and played 32s, 67s, 68s, 69s, and 4s. Oh, and 64s.

Control is there; This set has new-to-me shafts (XP115s), so there is adjustment going on. For example, a hard high fade is difficult, because the shaft wants to hit it straight when I make an aggressive swing.

Forgiveness seems to be no problem-- however, I seem to be swinging well at the moment, perhaps honeymoon-inspired.

Still gorgeous. the clubs, that is.

BTW I am not a splitter. I play 5-P. This 5i is NOT difficult to hit. I'm thinking of adding a 4i just for fun. At the moment, I play 5i to 185-190, then move to a Titleist 915H 24deg.
[/quote]
They are a lot of fun, sure am glad I have these sticks. Found these easy to swing, The ease of use reminds me
of other MP models,especially the MP68. Another great iron from Mizuno, Who would have thought.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I have a half set on the way, hopefully I'll get them by tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. Ordered 6-pw to combo with my MP 64s in the long irons.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1442772073' post='12339596']

You said absolutely nothing in your post. that was the point. I didn't take it "personal." Have a good day.
[/quote]

Actually you quite obviously did take it very personally. The only question remaining is why?

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443403223' post='12375970']
[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1443373248' post='12373988']I have a half set on the way, hopefully I'll get them by tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. Ordered 6-pw to combo with my MP 64s in the long irons.[/quote]

That makes no sense in my opinion...
[/quote]

Why not? The 64s blend well with the 5s and are pretty similar.

[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1443403799' post='12376036'][quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443403223' post='12375970']
[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1443373248' post='12373988']I have a half set on the way, hopefully I'll get them by tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. Ordered 6-pw to combo with my MP 64s in the long irons.[/quote]

[/quote]

Why not? The 64s blend well with the 5s and are pretty similar.[/quote]

Exactly...why not either order a combo of more forgiving and less forgiving or go straight across the board with the 5s and dump the 64s?

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443403223' post='12375970']

[/quote]

Combo sets in general, or just this combination? Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the MP line in the last 5-10 years is how easy it is to blend sets...

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1443410707' post='12376564'][quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443403223' post='12375970']

[/quote]

Combo sets in general, or just this combination? Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the MP line in the last 5-10 years is how easy it is to blend sets...[/quote]

Just the 64/5 combo, that's all...long irons in the 64 and short in the 5...to me in my testing the 5 were way easier to hit than the 64, which would make sense to have the combo the other way around if at all, but they're so close I would have never combo in that manner.

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443410954' post='12376576']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1443410707' post='12376564'][quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443403223' post='12375970']

[/quote]

Combo sets in general, or just this combination? Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the MP line in the last 5-10 years is how easy it is to blend sets...[/quote]

Just the 64/5 combo, that's all...long irons in the 64 and short in the 5...to me in my testing the 5 were way easier to hit than the 64, which would make sense to have the combo the other way around if at all, but they're so close I would have never combo in that manner.
[/quote]

Got ya...For me, the 64s are easier to hit...but if anything, I'd combo and do something like Bridgestone used to do with the J33s...

Go 8-PW in MP 5s
6/7 - MP 25s
4/5 - MP H5s...

[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443404747' post='12376120']
[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1443403799' post='12376036'][quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443403223' post='12375970']

[/quote]

Exactly...why not either order a combo of more forgiving and less forgiving or go straight across the board with the 5s and dump the 64s?
[/quote]Y'all don't think the 64s give you a tad more than the 5's? I haven't hit many mizzys as there isn't a bunch in lefty and my club doesn't stock them but you gotta figure the 64's give you a little more forgiveness and a little more launch?

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1443411799' post='12376628']
[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1443404747' post='12376120']

[/quote]

[/quote]Y'all don't think the 64s give you a tad more than the 5's? I haven't hit many mizzys as there isn't a bunch in lefty and my club doesn't stock them but you gotta figure the 64's give you a little more forgiveness and a little more launch?
[/quote]

I'm with you. I think the 64s are slightly more forgiving than the 5s and that's why I kept them in the long irons.

The cruelest thing just happened to me! I got an email saying my new Mizuno MP5's where out for delivery this morning. Fed Ex truck pulls up in front of the house at 9am. Sits there for 5 minutes and then just drives away!!! Oh the humanity! I ran out the door yelling NO STOP!
#firstworldproblems

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

[quote name='Axman55' timestamp='1443453466' post='12378158']
The cruelest thing just happened to me! I got an email saying my new Mizuno MP5's where out for delivery this morning. Fed Ex truck pulls up in front of the house at 9am. Sits there for 5 minutes and then just drives away!!! Oh the humanity! I ran out the door yelling NO STOP!
#firstworldproblems
[/quote]

Lol. Been there and definitely know the pain. That's why I sit with a rifle by the door now. If he can't hear me, I shoot the tires out.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

I received mine Friday, and immediately headed for the course. I was able to get in 54 holes this weekend with the new irons. Still trying to get the distances dialed in, but so far there pretty good. Definitely not the most forgiving iron I’ve ever hit though. A little fat, and I seemed to come up about 15-20 yards short. When you pure one though, there’s no better feeling club out there.

I seemed to be a little more consistent with the 25’s in the longer irons, but hopefully I can get used to these MP5’s. I’m coming from the AP2’s, and 25’s seem to be more what I’m used to. With the shorter irons, I kept coming up a little short from what I’m used to, so I’d try and go after it a little harder, and kept pulling it. I just need to get it through my head, to take out another club, and swing easier. I’ll be going out on the course tonight, to try and get them dialed in.

All in all, I think I’m going to be very happy with these. I did shoot 1 of my best scores of the year yesterday with 6 birdies, and only 2 bogeys for a 68.

[quote name='Chubbydog' timestamp='1443455786' post='12378358']I received mine Friday, and immediately headed for the course. I was able to get in 54 holes this weekend with the new irons. Still trying to get the distances dialed in, but so far there pretty good. Definitely not the most forgiving iron I’ve ever hit though. A little fat, and I seemed to come up about 15-20 yards short. When you pure one though, there’s no better feeling club out there.

I seemed to be a little more consistent with the 25’s in the longer irons, but hopefully I can get used to these MP5’s. I’m coming from the AP2’s, and 25’s seem to be more what I’m used to. With the shorter irons, I kept coming up a little short from what I’m used to, so I’d try and go after it a little harder, and kept pulling it. I just need to get it through my head, to take out another club, and swing easier. I’ll be going out on the course tonight, to try and get them dialed in.

All in all, I think I’m going to be very happy with these. I did shoot 1 of my best scores of the year yesterday with 6 birdies, and only 2 bogeys for a 68.[/quote]

LOL how can you have a fat shot in the bag, and card a 68?!?

[quote name='Chubbydog' timestamp='1443455786' post='12378358']
All in all, I think I’m going to be very happy with these. I did shoot 1 of my best scores of the year yesterday with 6 birdies, and only 2 bogeys for a 68.
[/quote]

Yep. BTW, my avatar is looking at your avatar. :busted_cop:

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]