2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What SwingWeight do u think I will get if I cut down my Oban Devotion to 44.5" from the TM standard of 45.5" with the M1?

Way too light. Low to mid C's

Might be around D-0. My M1 430 is D-2 at 44 3/4".

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Crap... gonna have to get one of these...

Third time on a LM with the M1's today. Both 9.5* heads and the 460 with Rogue Silver 70g and the 430 with Rogue Silver 60g. Very very close between the two.

I hit the M1's against my own gamer (SLDR), R15, G, G30, Vapor Fly Pro, and 915D2. Didn't see the point in trying the D3. Other than the M1's, my SLDR managed to hold its own against all contenders. The R15 was surprisingly better for me than in the past but still not a huge improvement vs the SLDR. All the others simply couldn't match the launch/spin ratio. Even without a proper fitting, the M1's were the clear winners. Super happy that I've got a fitting scheduled.

For those of you who've gotten good results with the stock Rogue, have you found any improvement in the M1s with other shafts?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Third time on a LM with the M1's today. Both 9.5* heads and the 460 with Rogue Silver 70g and the 430 with Rogue Silver 60g. Very very close between the two.

I hit the M1's against my own gamer (SLDR), R15, G, G30, Vapor Fly Pro, and 915D2. Didn't see the point in trying the D3. Other than the M1's, my SLDR managed to hold its own against all contenders. The R15 was surprisingly better for me than in the past but still not a huge improvement vs the SLDR. All the others simply couldn't match the launch/spin ratio. Even without a proper fitting, the M1's were the clear winners. Super happy that I've got a fitting scheduled.

For those of you who've gotten good results with the stock Rogue, have you found any improvement in the M1s with other shafts?

In what aspect were they clear winners, distance, dispersion or just a better (preferred) launch angle with less spin?

I just got an early Father's Day present: an M1 430 (8.5deg) with a Rogue Silver 70x. I've only started the familiarization process with it, but what I've seen thus far has me wanting to get out to the course by weeks end.

Congrats on the new driver. Take it out to Bolingbrook. With the way the fairways are rolling there you will get some big drives!

I just got an early Father's Day present: an M1 430 (8.5deg) with a Rogue Silver 70x. I've only started the familiarization process with it, but what I've seen thus far has me wanting to get out to the course by weeks end.

Congrats on the new driver. Take it out to Bolingbrook. With the way the fairways are rolling there you will get some big drives!

Thanks. I hit balls in the sim at GG and wound up adjusting the loft down to 7deg to increase my ball speed. I also moved the back weight all the way forward, and the side weight to draw (about two clicks from the end). My shaft was butt trimmed to give me 44.5" length with a GP Mid-Size grip. I like taking the right side out of play and both in the GG sim, and with my Almost Golf Ball Practice Balls that's what I saw and have been seeing. Now it's time to take it up a notch and get to either Naperbrook, Bolingbrook, or good ole' Zigfield Troy to further confirm ball flight with a large bucket of balls before I take it on the course. On the GS Foresite LM's I was consistently 20yrds (c+r) better than my 460 SLDR 9.5deg (loft adjusted down to 8.5deg) with the UST VTS Blk 70x shaft. I can already tell with my Almost Golf Practice balls that I have a noticeable amount less spin with the M1 combo, based upon the flight. I am also consistently hitting these 8-12yrds further than I could consistently hit with the old SLDR combo. That's a big difference in distance considering that the practice balls are only CO2 charged foam that give honest spin characteristics like real balls. I'll let everyone know how it goes after a large bucket, and then again after my first round. I will go on record right now however and say that the Rogue Silver 70x is the best shaft I have every swung next to my old Harrison Stripper J. It feels very smooth, and it's the first shaft that I have swung that I can be as aggressive as I want and it feels like its bend profile works with my very aggressive transition. I think golf is going to be fun this year.

Where is the best place to get extra weights or heavier weights for the M1?

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

In what aspect were they clear winners, distance, dispersion or just a better (preferred) launch angle with less spin?

I got fit again last weekend, and unfortunately, the fitting wasn't a great success. Don't know if it was me, the fitter, the LM, or what. For most of the fitting, there was zero improvement over my gamer. The fitter was a nice guy but it just took way too many swings before he managed to find a reasonable combo. It felt like he was guessing wildly about what would work. Anyways, he finally came up with a set-up that was similar to the results I'd seen in the past. Sucks that I was worn-out by the time I gave him the settings from past fittings to compare. Results were not good.

So, in my experience, the M's generate more ball speed for me vs similar strikes with others. I have a real hard time accepting this but after comparing launch monitor results from four separate sessions... it really does seem to be.

If extra ball speed isn't enough, the M's make it happen with the lowest spin relative to launch angle. For me, retaining 17*/1700 launch and gaining some ball speed equals 20+ yards carry on my best shots. The 816DBD is the only other club I've hit so far that gets close to 17/1700.

LM numbers aside, the test that really matters is what happens when I take the club on-course. Hopefully, I can keep some extra yards and still find the fairway.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

my M1 with the Tour AD Has been a God Sent

It's a GREAT combo. I'm using the MJ and its lethal. The extra ounce of spin is helping me.

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Just got back from the range. I'm getting too old to go out and hit 120+ balls as I couldn't even swing for the last 25 or so. The range uses the Srixon 1 piece limited flight high spin balls. We had a fairly stiff left to right wind blowing across the range. Regardless, I tested a number of settings and decided to go with 9.25 deg to close the face a little, I moved the back weight from the face to the middle, and the side weight from the draw position to the neutral position. I loved the feel of the driver, especially on a few that were absolutely bombed. In all, I saw an increase in my carry distance, and the ball still ran when it hit the ground. I went as high as 10.5 deg just to see what it would do and it turned everything into a really high launch rainbow, yuk.

The 7deg launched lower than I thought it would based upon what the GS and GG monitors kept showing me, but going back up to 7.75 and 8.5 deg worked. At this point it seems that I have a launch window between 7.75 - 9.25 deg, with the 9.25 helping when I have a left to right wind and the 7.75 - 8.5 deg for calm days. I let a buddy of mine swing the club a couple of times and one of his first comments was "man this thing is lite". I had forgotten about the decrease in swing weight due to it's 44.5" length. That may also explain a little of the lower than expected launch at the 7 deg setting (it only got about 60ft high when I'm used to 100ft). At any rate, since I'm playing the side weight in the neutral position I think it would be a great candidate for changing to the heavier 19g weight to bring the swing weight up and add a little more mass into the ball.

The next test will be the course, but I'm already sold based upon what I saw and felt today. And as sore as I am right now after hitting foam balls in two different sessions for a total of 2 hrs earlier today, and then 120+ range balls this evening, I don't think that first round will be anytime before Friday, and most likely not until Sunday after church. My right knee is absolutely killing me right now. LOL. LOL. LOL.

I am a Titleist guy through and through from my hat, full bag, ball and shoes. I hit the M1 on the range yesterday and oh my, that thing feels like cheating. I do not struggle with distance but the balls I was hitting with that M1 were waiving as they flew by my titleist. My range has a 20 ft high net that is 295yds away and I was 1-hopping the net and occasionally hitting the net on the fly, something I do not do with my Titleist. I had the front/back weight all the way towards the face and the draw/fade weight right in the middle so the weights were like "stacked" right behind the middle of the club face, and it was an absolute rocket launcher, and forgiving! Whether or not I can wait until the Titleist 917s come out before just buying one of these will be the ultimate test of will power.

Dr:  Titleist TSI3 Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 

3W: Taylormade SIM Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

UW: Callaway UW 19 Accra TZ5 100TX
or
New level Utility iron Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Titleist T100 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 Onyx
Vokey SM8 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold tour issue black onyx x100 (s400 58)
Taylormade Spyder Custom

I played an easy 9 hole course yesterday since it was the 1st round of the season for me (I know, I know, I really have a lot of catching up to do, LOL). I absolutely LOVED the M1. We were the last ones on the course and at the only decent driving hole there (it was only 333yrds) I and my buddy decided to just use it as a practice range and hit ball after ball (it was the 8th hole). We had a stiff headwind blowing into our face and I STILL got my shots out to where all but 2-3 of my absolute best shots from the past 15yrs tend to end up!!! This was almost all carry distance, into a headwind!! :superman: :superman: Even my buddy was blown away and said that my M1 is for real. He even mentioned that he liked the sound of it, which is something he has NOT liked about any of my drivers since my R9; preferring the sound of his TM 580 over my yuky sounding R1 that I quickly got rid of, and even my SLDR. :taunt: :taunt:

So, without the stiff head wind that was a good 15 plus mph (it was really moving all of the trees) I feel confident that I would have easily been past any of those 2-3 absolute best shots from the past 15yrs, especially considering that I was within 8-12 yrds of them anyway. Oh, and by the way, those absolute best shots all occurred during the later part of summer when that fairway gives some roll; as opposed to the rather cool 73F that we played in yesterday evening. :stop: :busted_cop: Once July hits and the fairways aren't quit as lush, they will start giving some roll and I'll see even more distance. Of course not hitting into a stiff headwind ought to help a little also. :taunt: :taunt:

Bottom line: I've NEVER played a driver that kills so much of my spin-loft as this M1, and it even more pleasing at impact than my R9 is. I still want to try a 19g weight in it to see if a little more mass helps get me a little more distance since it's so light right now. Surprisingly enough, the lighter weight didn't hurt my swing mechanics yesterday. However, this may be due to the fact that I inadvertently compensated for the lighter weight because I was really focusing upon slowing down my tempo yesterday (Zepp said that my tempo was in a horrible 2.2:1 - 2.5:1 range, yikes, LOL). At any rate, the M1 is for real, and I LOVE the Rogue Silver 70X shaft in it, and I keep the loft/face angle and weights were I had them from my earlier post.

Is this face cracked?

It does look cracked. Has it been sounding funny when you were hitting it?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Is this face cracked?

It does look cracked. Has it been sounding funny when you were hitting it?

It went from a nice solid sounding driver, to a loud tinny driver, to a low thud. Also doesn't hit the ball very well. Thought it was just me so I went to another driver which I found instant results with. Was preparing this driver to be sold by cleaning it, and I noticed the paint cracked on the crown and the long line across the face so I figured I ask you guys. Maybe it was a crack after all.

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

• 2 weeks later...

Any M1 owners playing the 12* version, or is there less of a need to loft up compared to the SLDR?

How do the two clubs compare on mishits?

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

Any M1 owners playing the 12* version, or is there less of a need to loft up compared to the SLDR?

How do the two clubs compare on mishits?

I had a 9.5* SLDR and find the 8.5* M1 430 to play similar regarding flight.

The M1 is miles more forgiving though.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

I went from 12 in the SLDR 430 to the M1 430 10.5 and they hit the exact same height. The M1 is way more forgiving

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Are most people still saying the m1 460 is the better choice for most over the m1 430?

I have a tour issue M1 460 and I really like it! But I want to try either a tour issue M2 or tour issue M1 430,and I'm trying to decide which to get .

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Are most people still saying the m1 460 is the better choice for most over the m1 430?

I have a tour issue M1 460 and I really like it! But I want to try either a tour issue M2 or tour issue M1 430,and I'm trying to decide which to get .

Yes

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Another question, with the rear weight all the way back and the front weight in the middle, isn't the m1 very similar to the m2?

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Another question, with the rear weight all the way back and the front weight in the middle, isn't the m1 very similar to the m2?

I've never hit the M2.

My issue is, how do you move the ball flight bias around with the M2? You are gaining adjustability with the M1 over the M2. To me that justifies the price up tick. But to you it might not. I like to look at a certain face angle, and then I like to have the ball flight like I like it.

The M2 you can not do that. You have to move the face angle and then you are stuck with the ball flight.

My setting is almost all the way on draw and then I add lead tape to the heal for even more draw. My slider in the back is 3/4s to the trailing edge, but I move it up when I'm hitting it really good to decrease spin and lower launch.

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Time for a new M1 discussion based on what I have seen from a few different people swinging this club. I was an M1 owner about 6 months ago and couldn't get along with it. I purchased a 9.5 degree w/ Aldila Rogue Silver Shaft and the flight was awful. I tried putting the weight all the way in the back and still had a heck of a time getting the ball in the air. I am not an overly high ball hitter to begin with but I don't hit low ropes either. Very mid-flight player with driver and swing speed is 105-110. Now, this was an impulse purchase and I didn't get fit for the club or hit on the launch monitor (shame on me). I ended up picking up a KK silver shaft to help with flight and still, no improvement. I decided to fire sale the club.

I have a friend who is a VERY high hitter. Swing speed has been measured at 120 during a shaft fitting. I always joke with him because I remember reading a golf digest article a while back that talked about how J Day kept the ball in the air with driver longer than anyone at tour at 6.X seconds. I decided to time his hang time once and it was over 9 seconds. He plays a 9.5 degree 913 D3 and carries the ball 290-300 but doesn't get any roll out. I brought the M1 out for him one day and cranked it down to the lowest loft and weight all the way forward and it brought his flight down a lot. He swung it a few times and didn't hit a single good shot with the club and he is a 1-2 handicap.

Over the weekend, I played with a guy who I have only played with once before. The first time I played with him he was hitting a 913 D3 as well and had a nice trajectory and flight with this club. This weekend, he had an M1 with an Aldila Tour Green shaft and his flight with the club was really bad compared to what I saw when he was hitting the 913 D3. Ball was hit significantly lower and seemed to just fall out of the sky. After noticing this, I was curious if he had been fit for the club. He said he got fit on a Trackman. He is a pretty good player and shot 76 that day.

Then I saw that DJ is hitting his 10.5 M1 w/ 11 degrees of loft. That was shocking to me. If he is swinging the club with 11 degrees of loft with his swing speed, it makes perfect sense while all others who I have seen swing this club hit the ball substantially lower and have trouble keeping the ball in the air with this club. This is just what I have observed but found it to be interesting.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | G430 3 Hybrid |  ZX7 MKII 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I've never hit the M2.

My issue is, how do you move the ball flight bias around with the M2? You are gaining adjustability with the M1 over the M2. To me that justifies the price up tick. But to you it might not. I like to look at a certain face angle, and then I like to have the ball flight like I like it.

The M2 you can not do that. You have to move the face angle and then you are stuck with the ball flight.

My setting is almost all the way on draw and then I add lead tape to the heal for even more draw. My slider in the back is 3/4s to the trailing edge, but I move it up when I'm hitting it really good to decrease spin and lower launch.

You make some great points. However, for many, the ballflight with the M2 will be to their liking at a given face angle, and any more 'tweaking' is not necessary. Hence the justification for the M2 and saving quite a few $$$. But if the M2's ballflight at a given face angle isn't quite right, then of course, your argument for the M1 has credence. Personally, I can tweak face angles with my grip, and I'm happy to do that with the M2 if I need to. But I do hear and respect what you're saying.

Personally, I can tweak face angles with my grip, and I'm happy to do that with the M2 if I need to. But I do hear and respect what you're saying.

But when you move it with your hands you move the club head and then the ball flight changes.

I like mine to look nearly all the way open with the setting sleeve at -1.5 deg which then causes me to hit way too much left to right for me. So I move the front slider nearly all the way to draw. I also move the back slider back to gain a bit more of the loft flight up again.

I get everything I want- Club sits perfectly at address, I can line up my grip, I get the ball flight both height and direction like I want. I also prefer the smaller headsizes so the M1 430 gives me that.

This formula has worked for me for a while. I played the SLDR 430 exactly the same way.

I'm sure the M2 is a great club (I haven't seen one as I don't shop for clubs much)

2023 bag

Bridgestone Tour B RX